Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I don't think they'll let you gently caress the sub either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I liked Green Bay’s botanical garden!

nice trolling the chicagoans via list, ya almost got me (you got me)

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

MikeCrotch posted:

I don't think they'll let you gently caress the sub either

brother,

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve been to all four of those places and the list is pretty accurate, in general. Not because Green Bay is bad, but because it’s competing with cities 6x it’s size.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Lmao at putting any city above Chicago

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Whoa, Minneapolis has a building where I can shop at a Spencer's and get an Orange Julius? Sign me the gently caress up!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

So what I've gathered from the last few pages is that lambeau is absolutely filled with piss, but the piss does NOT weep from the concrete, nor does it smell

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Techno of the four only Chicago is filled with rivers of piss, though apparently they changed that

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Whoa, Minneapolis has a building where I can shop at a Spencer's and get an Orange Julius? Sign me the gently caress up!

You laugh now but when you see the art and culture (a large cherry on a larger spoon) you'll know Minneapolis is the true cultural capital of the Midwest.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
MN/MSP > IL/CHI

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1660846689450688514

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Bucs and niners didn’t kick their asses. The Bucs probably should have but Brady had a pretty historic second half meltdown

Brady was so loving terrible in those playoffs, I have no idea how we let him get away with it.

I mean I do. Brees was even worse, Lefleur is a coward and the Packers and Chiefs were missing their best o-linemen. It's still really annoying.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

That WWII sub tour looks cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

Minneapolis is nice, if expensive.

:confused: compared to what?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Blowjob Overtime posted:

That WWII sub tour looks cool

:confused: compared to what?

Green Bay or Fargo I guess

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Some of those Illinois also did (free school lunches for all, gun bill), or already had in place, but that's a pretty good session

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Forrest on Fire posted:

You laugh now but when you see the art and culture (a large cherry on a larger spoon) you'll know Minneapolis is the true cultural capital of the Midwest.

At least Chicago and Detroit have pizza styles. Minneapolis has *checks notes* ...Lutefisk.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ZombieCrew posted:

At least Chicago and Detroit have pizza styles. Minneapolis has *checks notes* ...Lutefisk.

I've lived here for almost 40 years and the only time I've ever seen lutefisk was when Alton Brown was doing his touring show and made fun of it.

The food you should be referencing instead is the Jucy Lucy, which is a gift from god.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

ZombieCrew posted:

Hey there is a Minnesota-style pizza. It's thin crust with bog-standard ingredients, cut into squares instead of normal slices for no particular reason, and it loving sucks.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

IcePhoenix posted:

I've lived here for almost 40 years and the only time I've ever seen lutefisk was when Alton Brown was doing his touring show and made fun of it.

The food you should be referencing instead is the Jucy Lucy, which is a gift from god.

Well now i gotta try that after lookin it up.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Hey there is a Minnesota-style pizza. It's thin crust with bog-standard ingredients, cut into squares instead of normal slices for no particular reason, and it loving sucks.

Thin crust in chicago is square cut as well. Its pretty good tho. Its also refered to as "Tavern style" by pizza snobs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cognac McCarthy posted:

This is tavern-cut/party-cut and it's all over Wisconsin, I don't think it's necessarily Minnesota-style.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

A ghost kitchen pizzeria opened up serving Detroit style, and it was incredible

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think that's how Sir Pizza serves pizza. It sucks!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah tavern-cut is just like a general midwest thing, when you search google you get a bunch of pages calling it "Chicago tavern style" but I've always heard it originated from southern Illinois or possibly St. Louis

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Hot Diggity! posted:

Lmao at putting any city above Chicago

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

My brother asked me where I'd move if I could leave Wisconsin and I told him Minnesota because look at all of that awesome stuff. Meanwhile.shadow governor Robin Vos gets to essentially run our gerrymandered hell hole.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The NFCN cities by violent crime rate (incidents per 100,000 people)
  1. Detroit (2,057)
  2. Minneapolis (1,101)
  3. Chicago (1,099)
  4. Green Bay (455)

Whenever dumb boomers from the burbs or anywhere outside of Chicago complain about it being a violent hellhole, I like to point out that Chicago barely cracks the top 20, it's not even the most violent city in Illinois (Rockford) and it has a lower violent crime rate than other large Midwestern cities like Minneapolis, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Cleveland, and Detroit.

That said, Minneapolis is without question the city I would choose to live in if I couldn't live in Chicago.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

1. Detroit (2,057)
  2. Minneapolis (1,101)
  3. Chicago (1,099)
  4. Green Bay (455)

Whenever dumb boomers from the burbs or anywhere outside of Chicago complain about it being a violent hellhole, I like to point out that Chicago barely cracks the top 20, it's not even the most violent city in Illinois (Rockford) and it has a lower violent crime rate than other large Midwestern cities like Minneapolis, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Cleveland, and Detroit.

That said, Minneapolis is without question the city I would choose to live in if I couldn't live in Chicago.

"Rockford is only so violent because the Thugs™ from Chicago come there and ruin that great city" - poo poo I heard all the time when growing up in Rockford.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

1. Detroit (2,057)
  2. Minneapolis (1,101)
  3. Chicago (1,099)
  4. Green Bay (455)

At 1,101 vs. 1,099 I'd say Chicago has the same violent crime rate as Minneapolis, but the point still stands that both cities are incorrectly treated like warzones by right-wing media.

A recent highlight here was the Star Trib somehow deciding to publish this gem:
https://twitter.com/StribOpinion/status/1649933867757731841

They later apologized and the latest op-ed from this guy is about how he's leaving the state, so a happy ending I guess.

Also the Jacob Wohl and Laura Loomer video in which Jacob wore a protective vest while in town was :discourse:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If I couldn't live in Minneapolis I'd probably shoot for Chicago so :respek:

Dexo posted:

"Rockford is only so violent because the Thugs™ from Chicago come there and ruin that great city" - poo poo I heard all the time when growing up in Rockford.

Back in the 90s and early 2000s, local right wing talk radio guys here blamed all the crime on "people from Chicago" too. Even as a kid I knew it was a dogwhistle. In recent years I think they've dropped the pretense.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Detroit style pizza owns Jet's ftw

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Hot Diggity! posted:

I had some Jets last week. It's a great change of pace, sits in the happy medium between tavern style and deep dish. St louis style, of course, is an abomination, which is probably why everyone's so angry at each other down there.

Does anyone have juicy lucy tips for making them yourselves? I've never had one (only been to mpls once, lovely city).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hot Diggity! posted:

Hell yeah.

But it's gotten so loving expensive the last few years.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hello I wrote my undergrad thesis on the Cultural Value of Pizza WRT regionalism, AMA about the city pizza wars.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Hello I wrote my undergrad thesis on the Cultural Value of Pizza WRT regionalism, AMA about the city pizza wars.

How long did it take the public to accept Detroit style is the superior product?

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

I had some Jets last week. It's a great change of pace, sits in the happy medium between tavern style and deep dish. St louis style, of course, is an abomination, which is probably why everyone's so angry at each other down there.

Does anyone have juicy lucy tips for making them yourselves? I've never had one (only been to mpls once, lovely city).

We made a Juicy Lucy at a bar I worked at in Massachusetts about 15 years ago. IIRC, don't overdo it with the inside cheese or it can leak out or not get melty all the way. Pack it evenly in the middle of the patty and leave a good amount of space from the edge to prevent leakage. Practice on smaller burgs to start--a bigger burg that needs to cook longer might also end up with molten hot lava cheese in the middle so careful with that too. Super tasty when done right tho

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Parallelwoody posted:

How long did it take the public to accept Detroit style is the superior product?

They didn't
They accepted Little Ceasars as the cheapest product

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

HootTheOwl posted:

Approximately how much copium do pizza eaters outside of the New Jersey/New York area huff per hour?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

1. Detroit (2,057)
  2. Minneapolis (1,101)
  3. Chicago (1,099)
  4. Green Bay (455)

I don't know if this applies to the other cities because I don't know them but with Detroit something to keep in mind is it's "city" boundaries are ginormous due to it's Automotive boom. When the Auto crash(es), the Riots, and White Flight happened the leftovers just became run down abandoned areas scattered throughout the former city line (which they refuse to shrink to a proper size) So while it's not an excuse I believe it skews the numbers.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

drat, didn't know Voldemort was on the forums.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

AnoHito posted:

Approximately how much copium do pizza eaters outside of the New Jersey/New York area huff per hour?

Having flashbacks to 50 different occasions hearing my old coworker explain that he's from New Jersey and the difference is the water they use to make the dough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dexo posted:

This mentality isn't confined to Rockford. About 15 years ago, there was a fatal stabbing in broad daylight in downtown Dubuque. I was drinking at a dive bar later that night, and the stabbing came up. Some dickhead said, "That boy's parents can thank Mayor Brady for inviting all the (n-word)s to come here from Chicago."