Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism)

I don't know how else to interpret "don't move to Florida because there are black people that live there", goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I don't know how else to interpret "don't move to Florida because there are black people that live there", goddamn.

The NAACP issued a travel advisory warning black people not to go to Florida because of Desantis.

This cartoon is implying it's because the NAACP directors live in Florida and want to keep it for themselves.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

bunnyofdoom posted:

The NAACP issued a travel advisory warning black people not to go to Florida because of Desantis.

This cartoon is implying it's because the NAACP directors live in Florida and want to keep it for themselves.

It's Domestic Abuser Mike Lester, though, so it's just as likely it can be taken at face value.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Pants Donkey posted:

You’ll have to forgive me for not being an expert on slang from a century ago, but “Jay” was deliberately chosen as the word for Jaywalking, as Jay was kinda like “redneck” is now. Basically an uneducated person from the country, and the goal is to display people who know their place under our new car overlords as sophisticated city folk. Those who don’t bend the knee to the Almighty Auto were branded as backward rubes.

Current speculation is that a jay was generally a hated bird as loud, one who stole food, and one whos call was loud enough to scare deer away (making hunting worse). It was used historically to refer to flashy, chatty people, and got picked up by actors as a slang for bad actors and rude audiences, and between all of the uses eventually became a term for loud, obnoxious, attention-dragging people - i.e., exactly the kind of person who will walk the wrong way on the sidewalk and make other people move.

"Mark Twain in 'A Tramp Abroad' posted:

"A jay hasn't got any more principle than a Congressman. A jay will lie, a jay will steal, a jay will deceive, a jay will betray; and, four times out of five, a jay will go back on his solemnest promise. The sacredness of an obligation is a thing which you can't cram into no blue-jay's head."

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

The him "putting his past behind" is Peter Dutton, who is now arguing against the Voice to Parliament.
Dutton walked out when then PM Kevin Rudd apologised to the Stolen Generations in 2008, which Dutton has now apologised for because he looks bad. Peter Dutton apologises for boycotting apology to Stolen Generations (ABC).
"African gangs": In the lead-up to the 2018 Victorian election then home minister Peter Dutton says Victorians scared to go out because of 'African gang violence' (Guardian, 2018).
Nauru Files: when immigration minister Dutton was briefed on the harm (self-harm, abuse, sexual assault) to children being held in offshore detention on Nauru which he deliberately ignored. Revealed: Peter Dutton's extensive briefings about risks and harm to children on Nauru (Guardian, 2016).

Rowe:

Victorian budget, with treasurer Tim Pallas and premier Dan Andrews. Victorian budget 2023 hits big business and landlords to pay back COVID-19 debt (ABC).
Also the end of native logging in Victoria is accelerated to December, six years earlier than planned. End of native logging in Victoria ‘a monumental win for forests’, say conservationists (Guardian).

Golding:

Dan Andrews is known for wearing North Face jackets.

Spooner:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

skeleton warrior posted:

Current speculation is that a jay was generally a hated bird as loud, one who stole food, and one whos call was loud enough to scare deer away (making hunting worse). It was used historically to refer to flashy, chatty people, and got picked up by actors as a slang for bad actors and rude audiences, and between all of the uses eventually became a term for loud, obnoxious, attention-dragging people - i.e., exactly the kind of person who will walk the wrong way on the sidewalk and make other people move.

Who’s speculation?

Edit : I'm not being harsh. That's just a more sketched in etymology than I can find off-hand and I didn't want to type more.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 24, 2023

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Xiahou Dun posted:

Who’s speculation?

Edit : I'm not being harsh. That's just a more sketched in etymology than I can find off-hand and I didn't want to type more.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/jay

I haven't gone to any of my big dictionaries of etymology, though I doubt they'd have more.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Jeff Danziger

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Pedro X. Molina

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

John Branch

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Mike Peters

Bill Bramhall

Adam Zyglis

Mike Thompson

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kellies nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrell; Worst Label

First they came for the and I did not speak out

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
First they came for the hack cartoonists and we lived happily ever after.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

First they came, because they were a premature ejaculator.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm just so weary of people modifying this quote that I couldn't muster more than a sigh and an eyeroll when I posted that. He didn't even bother to change most of it. I appreciate the message he was trying to send, but come on.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ZZT the Fifth posted:

"Florida is dangerous for black people, don't visit."
"And yet you live in Florida. Curious. I am very smart."

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

drat, the president of the united states has a history of racist remarks? I guess white supremacy really is a systemic problem, thanks Hitch!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Racist remarkkks

How can a man with such artistic talent be so bereft of comedic creativity?

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

What McCarthy is aiming at should be able to survive his attacks, just keep moving forward and the economy will be safe.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

Chris Britt

Gary Markstein

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Steve Breen

Tom Stiglich

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

pretty sure it was a mad scientist taking over the world with robots, not the slow creeping rise of facism

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Skios posted:

Steve Breen

Tom Stiglich

Jesus christ, have these guys started reading the thread or something?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

ok so apparently Brinks is a US security company, which makes more sense than my initial interpretation that the US economy is a van full of brinks. hello I would like to buy three Brinks please.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Welcome to the Hate-ocracy

Ted Rall posted:

Most Democrats wish Biden wasn’t running for reelection. Only a small majority of Republicans are OK with Trump running for election again. Yet the vast majority of them are going to go and cast a ballot in 2024 for a candidate they don’t approve of.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, it's an inherent problem of FPTP voting. Does Ted have a preferred alternative system?

Angepain posted:

ok so apparently Brinks is a US security company, which makes more sense than my initial interpretation that the US economy is a van full of brinks. hello I would like to buy three Brinks please.
Also famous for the Brink's-Mat robbery in London Heathrow.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Steve Breen is like Gorrell Lite.

I swear there's so much similarity there between their 'art' and their cartoon ideas

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Welcome to the Hate-ocracy

Kellies Nomination: Most Willfully Dense

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

I could have lived the rest of my life without seeing Branco reveal his foot fetish.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Mike Thompson

Huge slam on our naval service out of nowhere.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

JamesBont posted:

I could have lived the rest of my life without seeing Branco reveal his foot fetish.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

DalaranJ posted:

Huge slam on our naval service out of nowhere.

Drunken sailors traditionally only spend money they actually have.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Kellies nomination: Most opposite of reality

Kellies nomination x2: Laziest non-Gorrell

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
That Breen isn't even centered.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, it's an inherent problem of FPTP voting. Does Ted have a preferred alternative system?

Well, there's ranked-choice voting, but according to this piece from 2021, Ted thinks it sucks.

Ted Rall posted:

Many arguments in favor of RCV defy common sense. “Ranked-choice voting could ensure that a winner has the approval of a majority of voters by taking into account their preferences, apart from first choice. In this way, the problem of winning on a mere plurality is mitigated and public servants are chosen because they more truly reflect the electorate’s desires,” according to Quartz. But you can’t achieve a political mandate by winning a bunch of votes from citizens for whom you were just a second or third choice.

In normal elections the question of whether a particular ideological segment of the Democratic Party carries a race depends upon the number of candidates competing for that segment. Let’s say for argument’s sake that the Democratic Party is half-centrist and half-progressive. In a race in which one progressive runs against ten centrists, several of the centrists will divide the centrist vote enough to hand victory to the progressive candidate, or vice versa. Not ideal to be sure, and RCV claims to solve this problem. Under RCV, however, you have the opposite conundrum: a strong candidate who would otherwise have won can be defeated. If there’s one strong progressive in a field of ten candidates, who would have won 45% of the vote, one of the nine other centrists can win because their voters are willing to accept their second, third, etc. choices. Progressive voters, who only have one candidate they can support, see their votes underweighted.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If you want an argument against ranked choice voting, then just point at Australia.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pants Donkey posted:

If you want an argument against ranked choice voting, then just point at Australia.

They're still doing better than the US.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I was mostly joking, but I dunno if the USA is the best metric for doing okay.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Jeff Danziger

Lee Judge

Not really sure which Kellies category this belongs in, something like "Most pointless non-Prickly City" or "Worst Both-Sides-ism"?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

The Haitian posted:

Not really sure which Kellies category this belongs in, something like "Most pointless non-Prickly City" or "Worst Both-Sides-ism"?

I reckon there should be a whole category just for "government isn't achieving anything because the dems and gops refuse to compromise" but they're so bland nobody can usually be bothered to nominate them for anything.

All the worst conservative cartoonists occasionally pop in with an entry in this category and it's like... yeah you're part of the problem! You don't WANT the gop to give an inch on anything!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I just want you all to appreciate that, were I not away on vacation, I would totally photoshop a gif of that elephant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm now imagining a game where you post s cropped piece of a cartoon and everyone else has to work out what the cartoon is about.