Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Roumba posted:

Prince of Persia (2010) and The Mummy (1999) come to mind. Not the greatest movies of all time, but if they were "just on" I'd probably watch them again.

Yo The Mummy (1999) is a god drat treasure, don’t be a hater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

regulargonzalez posted:

I feel like half of Errol Flynn's filmography fits

Is there a particular film I should start with?

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Captain Blood would be an excellent choice if you want a swashbuckler.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Dave Angel posted:

Captain Blood would be an excellent choice if you want a swashbuckler.

I'll give it a shot thanks!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

magic cactus posted:

Watched The Mask Of Zorro on a whim last night and ended up enjoying it. Looking for similar sorts of low-stakes swashbuckling\romance\adventure movies, closest I can think of would be the first two Pirates of The Caribbean films.

Prisoner of Zenda works pretty well. Both the villains kill it, and it ends with a sick rapier duel

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for fun uplifting/cathartic anti-colonialist movies in the style of RRR. Doesn't have to be an action movie, but I'm looking for something vibrant and entertaining rather than super serious.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for fun uplifting/cathartic anti-colonialist movies in the style of RRR. Doesn't have to be an action movie, but I'm looking for something vibrant and entertaining rather than super serious.

My Neighbor Totoro. Paddington. Amélie. School of Rock.

Edit: Sing Street. (Everyone should watch Sing Street.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Timby posted:

My Neighbor Totoro. Paddington. Amélie. School of Rock.

Edit: Sing Street. (Everyone should watch Sing Street.)

Is My Neighbor Totoro anti-colonialist?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Chas McGill posted:

Michael Mann’s Last of the Mohicans.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Michael Mann’s Last of the Mohicans.
If this is uplifting I'd hate to see the stuff you find depressing!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If this is uplifting I'd hate to see the stuff you find depressing!

Okay that’s a fair point.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

Ong-Bak has some sad parts but is mostly this

Gripweed posted:

Is My Neighbor Totoro anti-colonialist?

thread title please

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Chas McGill posted:

It's not hyperbolic and action-y like RRR, but Bacurau is a really good one that's not super serious or depressing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for the recs. I've seen most of them with Bacurau being a notable exception. It looks very cool.

I could imagine there being some angles you could find Ghibli's output to be anti colonialist. The negative encroachment of "civilisation" on nature is a pretty common theme in those movies, so colonial parallels could be found.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 14, 2023

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Jesus Christ Superstar and maybe The Life of Brian, though I don't remember if I've seen all of the latter straight through.

I'd like to stretch to make Aguirre, the Wrath of God work, but I'm not sure I can.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Clearcut

West Indies

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Rewatched The Hateful Eight recently and got in the mood to watch some more westerns. I've seen the classics a million times, so any good recommendations for fairly recent releases? Of course I've seen Django Unchained, and loved Buster Scruggs.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Rewatched The Hateful Eight recently and got in the mood to watch some more westerns. I've seen the classics a million times, so any good recommendations for fairly recent releases? Of course I've seen Django Unchained, and loved Buster Scruggs.

Have you seen Unforgiven and The Quick and the Dead yet?

The 3:10 to Yuma remake is actually pretty dang fun too. Ben Foster parts his giant beard like the red sea and just starts shoveling scenery into his mouth.

edit : how did I read "Fairly recent" and then type poo poo that's almost as old as me. Well, I'm dumb but they're still the best westerns of the last 30 years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Proposition.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Hostiles

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
From the last 15 years: True Grit, Slow West, Meek's Cutoff

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Western talk got me thinking "Why did westerns die again?" Then I remembered Heaven's Gate. I recall a few years ago some people were saying it's actually a good movie and is unfairly maligned, but I don't know if they are just contrarians. Anyone seen it recently?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Magnetic North posted:

Western talk got me thinking "Why did westerns die again?" Then I remembered Heaven's Gate. I recall a few years ago some people were saying it's actually a good movie and is unfairly maligned, but I don't know if they are just contrarians. Anyone seen it recently?

Yeah. It's good. Slow, but good. Absolutely bonkers cinematography and setpieces.

edit: "Overindulgent" would be the one word summary, but "disaster" is off the mark.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 24, 2023

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Magnetic North posted:

I watched it for the first time when it hit the criterion channel a month or so back. It was... decidedly okay. The runtime wasn't the part that brought it down for me, mostly I found it oddly paced and edited. I'm not going to say it's deserving of the derision it got upon release, but it's not an unsung classic for me either. YMMV if "good but not great" is enough to pull the trigger on a three hour film.

edit: what the poster above me said. it's beautifully shot, but imo the pacing and editing of those shots made it drag a bit for me.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I enjoyed Apaloosa, directed by and starring Ed Harris.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Open Range

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Bone Tomahawk was pretty good although some very violent scenes. I thought they did a good job of blending the western and horror genres.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

The Power of the Dog
In A Valley of Violence
The Stolen
They Harder They Fall
The Godless

We're awash in a bounty of Western greatness

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

also First Cow

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hell or High Water if neo westerns count

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Quick, I need a movie with a title that ends in "...of the Dead" or "...of the Living Dead" that was made in Central/South America, Australia/Oceania, or Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, etc) and is available free streaming online.

Quickly!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Quick, I need a movie with a title that ends in "...of the Dead" or "...of the Living Dead" that was made in Central/South America, Australia/Oceania, or Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, etc) and is available free streaming online.

Quickly!

Juan of the Dead is a 2021 Cuban* zombie movie and I think it’s on Amazon.

Namaste, compadre.

*and Spanish but c’mon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

Juan of the Dead is a 2021 Cuban* zombie movie and I think it’s on Amazon.

Namaste, compadre.

*and Spanish but c’mon

perfect, thank you.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gripweed posted:

perfect, thank you.

To be clear, I did that entirely via searching. The movie could be a hidden gem or absolute dogshit, I have no idea.

I just know the pain of wanting something that ticks two challenge boxes at the same time, and wanted to pass on the favor.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Xiahou Dun posted:

To be clear, I did that entirely via searching. The movie could be a hidden gem or absolute dogshit, I have no idea.

Juan of the Dead is a lot of fun.
Pretty sure I missed a lot of the subtext, but there is enough satire in there that I kept wondering how they managed to get that made in Cuba.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I rewatched Aliens last night and I'm wondering what my other options are in the vein of "action horror sci fi". Off the top of my head I've seen Pitch Black, Pandorum, Screamers, Predator.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you're not opposed to anime, Akira, Lily CAT, AD Police. With live-action stuff, it really depends on your appetite for schlock, but if you could handle Screamers I think you'd dig Forbidden World. Also Lifeforce might count?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Shocking Dark if you wanna go the Italian knock off route

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I rewatched Aliens last night and I'm wondering what my other options are in the vein of "action horror sci fi". Off the top of my head I've seen Pitch Black, Pandorum, Screamers, Predator.

First, gently caress yeah Pandorum.

Second you should check out Underwater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

If you're not opposed to anime, Akira, Lily CAT, AD Police. With live-action stuff, it really depends on your appetite for schlock, but if you could handle Screamers I think you'd dig Forbidden World. Also Lifeforce might count?

Oh yeah, anime is full of action horror sci-fi stuff. Parasyte, Blue Gender, Terra Formars, Chainsaw Man, Gantz