Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

mobby_6kl posted:

Are they testing out different propaganda tactic? Everything is no longer a smoking incident?

Really interesting what actually happened there. I still kind of doubt Ukraine would put the Patriot that close.

OR: Russian partisans shot them all down. Which could be an answer that of course Russia ain't going to confirm.

OR: the patriot has a range far greater than what is officially announced and Ukraine can start dropping strat bombers out of the loving sky in quick succession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Waiting for the follow up post that it sank.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Disco Pope posted:

N...nooo! The 90s X-Men cartoon!

Cyclops. Was. Right!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Not to buy into Russia declarations about anything, but the track record of those drone boats seems pretty lovely. Wonder if they're worth the cost; you could say they're keeping the Black Sea fleet on its toes but the antiship missiles UAF field seem to be doing that on their own.

So the russian position on the downed jets is....the American system is just TOO good and plinks all russian airpower out of the sky at will? That's...an interesting take from the military dictatorship.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

OAquinas posted:

Not to buy into Russia declarations about anything, but the track record of those drone boats seems pretty lovely. Wonder if they're worth the cost; you could say they're keeping the Black Sea fleet on its toes but the antiship missiles UAF field seem to be doing that on their own.

So the russian position on the downed jets is....the American system is just TOO good and plinks all russian airpower out of the sky at will? That's...an interesting take from the military dictatorship.

This could be some kind of spin doctoring, more likely. They certainly wouldn't admit it was their own air defense that shot their planes and choppers out of the sky, instead trying to pass it off as being done by one of the donated Patriot systems. They don't have that much range to target those helos and planes considering where they were shot down, and certainly none of the Ukrainian commanders would have risked such a valuable system, even one or two launchers, anywhere near the front.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OAquinas posted:

Keep in mind those "drones" could've been British fishing boats

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

OR: Russian partisans shot them all down. Which could be an answer that of course Russia ain't going to confirm.

OR: the patriot has a range far greater than what is officially announced and Ukraine can start dropping strat bombers out of the loving sky in quick succession.
Capabilities of military systems are usually understated a bit (in the west at least), but missile range is an inherently fuzzy concept. A missile might have an absolute maximum range of 50 kilometers, but when it gets there it will have zero energy to maneuver and so the chance of hitting a moving target goes down a lot. If your missile has a 95% kill chance at 30 km, 80% at 40 km and 20% chance at 50km, what is the missile's range?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Philonius posted:

Capabilities of military systems are usually understated a bit (in the west at least), but missile range is an inherently fuzzy concept. A missile might have an absolute maximum range of 50 kilometers, but when it gets there it will have zero energy to maneuver and so the chance of hitting a moving target goes down a lot. If your missile has a 95% kill chance at 30 km, 80% at 40 km and 20% chance at 50km, what is the missile's range?

20% of the time they work at 50 km 100% of the time.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

roflmao

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1661366892299272194

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1661389756700192768

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1661408412494622720

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am reporting every single post and/or poster in this thread unless someone can explain to me how actually this is good for Bitcoin.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Russia lost money and materiel. Putin will have to trade some more crypto coins to keep the dark money flowing. So Elon will pump and dump some bullshit to fleece the rubes again. Catch it on the pump and I guess...this is good for Bitcoin?

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Sedgr posted:

Russia lost money and materiel. Putin will have to trade some more crypto coins to keep the dark money flowing. So Elon will pump and dump some bullshit to fleece the rubes again. Catch it on the pump and I guess...this is good for Bitcoin?

What if the dogecoin promotion that made tankies rage was actually to launder money for putin.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Any news or headline that could distract a reader from remembering that crypto is a scam is good for Bitcoin.

Also the ruble collapsing is probably good for Bitcoin.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

weg posted:

Any news or headline that could distract a reader from remembering that crypto is a scam is good for Bitcoin.

Also the ruble collapsing is probably good for Bitcoin.

Edit: blyatchain

Also quote is not edit

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shinjobi posted:

I am reporting every single post and/or poster in this thread unless someone can explain to me how actually this is good for Bitcoin.

It's good because NAFO is creating brand awareness for Dogecoin

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
If they turn their vehicles into NFTs they will retain their value even if they are blown to smithereens.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Thinking about it more, Russian army vehicles are like Bitcoin. None of them exist in the real world and the record of them is stored in a ledger (oryx).

They have also provided little wealth to anyone except those making them and those running scams.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Zathril posted:

If they turn their vehicles into NFTs they will retain their value even if they are blown to smithereens.

No, no - with their vehicles blown to bits, it only makes sense that it's good for Bitcoin!

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
*Slaps thin air*

Yessir, this tank will help you destroy your enemies! ALL of them! It's the best tank crypto can buy!

*rubs at imaginary spot on an equally imaginary windshield*

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

As the socially modern Great Powers China and Russia slowly dismantle the dollar hegemony beloved by America's poodles, the running dog kulaks will seek haven in bitcoins while they watch their criminal rents founder under the right thinking, right acting influence of the new unipolar economy that no feeble color revolutions can stop. Please become an annual member to support my work exposing the US empire as I show you how to protect your family with bitcoin.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

What do you mean we are ”abducting” children?? clearly they have nowhere to go and we’re helping them?????

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1661290771922690048
Ben Wallace seemingly made an unannounced visit to Ukraine.
I would prefer the other Ben Wallace who knows more about defense, because he was the NBA Defensive player of the year 4 times.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Can't even come up with a non-creepy lie

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

zone posted:

This could be some kind of spin doctoring, more likely. They certainly wouldn't admit it was their own air defense that shot their planes and choppers out of the sky, instead trying to pass it off as being done by one of the donated Patriot systems. They don't have that much range to target those helos and planes considering where they were shot down, and certainly none of the Ukrainian commanders would have risked such a valuable system, even one or two launchers, anywhere near the front.

Russian propaganda aims to get people out of trouble with their superiors and assign blame elswhere. With that logic blaming shootdowns on Patriots sounds better than FF or partisans.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
Today was the day the new dawn in Kiev finally became Ukranian

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1661188817078874112

Cope

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Weatherman should at least have the decency to use a cobra commander voice when he cries out for the use of their CLIMATE WEAPONRY

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Nothing more than the frantic squealings of poor fools desperate to stave off Russia's inevitable fate.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Why nuke Alaska and not Washington DC?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Wouldn't nukes be a climate weapon if you set off enough of them?

Most governments have climate weapons but their only setting is frozen apocalypse.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

So I've been in contact with the organization Dobrobat which is providing emergency relief and rebuilding services in de-militarized areas. After coordinating with my work I'm going to be taking three months off from September through November to help rebuild. My plan is to set up a GoFundMe to help cover some of my lost wages but everything in excess of what I get on the GoFundMe will go to Ukraine relief. Stay tuned.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cartoon Man posted:

Look if its just a slight escalation we can get away with it!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Cartoon Man posted:

Spite: Alaska used to be Russian territory. "If we can't have it, you can't either!"

Practicality: ICBM fuel has probably long since been sold to buy mansions for Strategic Rocket Forces generals. Alaska is close enough to Russia to lob a nuke with a trebuchet.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

weg posted:

Wouldn't nukes be a climate weapon if you set off enough of them?

Most governments have climate weapons but their only setting is frozen apocalypse.

maybe they're going to burn more fossil fuels

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Putin literally just posted a video of himself developing his strategy using a 17th-century map. Alaska is clearly marked as Russia there, therefore they can nuke it at will. Why would America care about Russian territory?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

:hmmyes:Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Rad Russian posted:

Putin literally just posted a video of himself developing his strategy using a 17th-century map. Alaska is clearly marked as Russia there, therefore they can nuke it at will. Why would America care about Russian territory?

Russia sadly didn't have Alaska in the 17th century. It reaches the Ural mountains, but only barely. Maybe this is how Putin announces he's aligning Russia with the Global South, by decolonising and reverting to 17th century borders. He'd get rid of a lot of useless libs in St Petersburg too, so it's win-win-win for him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

poverty goat posted:

maybe they're going to burn more fossil fuels

industrial capitalism is going to do that anyway :shrug: