Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://youtu.be/_vUhSYLRw14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Seconding an episode on the stem cell super soldier, Bartolo Colon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZoGzSG-Ywk

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rotinaj posted:

Ep 519, satchel paige and trujillo

...lol, way to pay attention, me.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Is it just me or has the audio engineering on the last couple of the past times episodes been really bad?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Somebody should let Dave know, he's usually good with audio feedback.

Speaking of which The West Wing Thing was awful to listen to on commutes because of how quiet the audio was, couldn't hear a drat thing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The main audio issue with the West Wing Thing was that Josh absolutely refused to talk into his goddamn mike. Every time he spoke there was a 50% chance he was just going to slowly lean back into his chair, turn his head to look out the window, or some other sin against audio.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Gyges posted:

The main audio issue with the West Wing Thing was that Josh absolutely refused to talk into his goddamn mike. Every time he spoke there was a 50% chance he was just going to slowly lean back into his chair, turn his head to look out the window, or some other sin against audio.

to be fair Dave is really bad about this too. Or talking extremely low in an almost mumble which is super easy to hear against road noise in a car. I also can't hear for poo poo though so ymmv

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Is it just me or has the audio engineering on the last couple of the past times episodes been really bad?

I noticed that since Gareth has been on the road, his audio equipment has not been achieving its 1full potential.

I ... just ... don't care to be honest. I am listening for free, and Gareth's career to soaring. I want the best for him.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

My West Wing Thing complaint was that Dave was always so much quieter than Josh. I couldn't listen to it at work because what I do is Loud.

Since I'm already posting, I've also found Gareth's travel audio a lot rougher than usual.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I can only complain about the New Hampshire episode being really dry. Even Gareth seemed to give up on trying to find riffs.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

DrNewton posted:

I noticed that since Gareth has been on the road, his audio equipment has not been achieving its 1full potential.

I ... just ... don't care to be honest. I am listening for free, and Gareth's career to soaring. I want the best for him.

Oh poo poo I forgot he was on tour, that also explains his computer's fans being super loud at the end of last episode. Lol

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Pennsylvanian posted:

I can only complain about the New Hampshire episode being really dry. Even Gareth seemed to give up on trying to find riffs.

That was a boring episode, and kind of confusing at times too.

Meanwhile, despite Gareths audio being wonky, the pigs were a lot of fun and his riffing overcame the audio issues.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Yeah, give him the opportunity to joke about animals using a goofy Anglo or American accent and you've got a solid episode.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I should have realized this was going to happen from the subject matter but while I listened to today’s episode there was a horrible moment where I realized that a Dollop was going to intersect with someone I actually know. Since it just came out today I’ll put this up behind spoilers.

There’s obviously a lot of speculation about whether certain episodes/guests on Jerry were real or fake, and unfortunately the dude who fell in love with his horse is 100% real. He’s my friend’s dad and it gets worse, because the horse was hers when she was a little girl. The dude hosed that family up so goddamn bad.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

:wtc:

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Yeah, I always thought there had to be some kind of seed of truth in a lot of episodes, and it always made me too depressed to want to think about that show.

I think I'm going to draw a date limit on the Past Times. There are great episodes, but I have a hard time following the articles when they're written in that old-timey bullshit language, and it's clear that Gareth and the guests have trouble as well

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My issue with Past Times is that Gareth and the guest have a tendency to jump into an elaborate bit off the first quarter sentence, which usually makes them unable to follow the rest of the story because they've already committed to said bit.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
The episode was fine. I agree with Dave that while Springer was bad, the people criticizing him were SOOOO much worse.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I agree, and I honestly think Dave made an even better point which was that we cared so much more about Jerry Springer than we did war crimes or massive bank scandals that leave lower and middle class familes bankrupt and homeless and the perpetrators are rewarded.

Like an objective comparison of the two is absolutely insane.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The episode was alright, though I do like that Gareth pushed back a little at the end. Like, yeah, many of the people criticizing Springer were hypocritical, but it was still a pretty gross show.

The latest Past Times was way better than recent episodes. I agree that the flowery old language can be hard to follow for both guests/hosts/viewers alike. This episode was funny because most of the articles were plain-spoken and incredibly short. The guest was also great.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I had no idea Springer was a former populist politician, so that was interesting. But his show still gave me some ingrained transphobia as a child. Watching Jerry Springer was pretty much my first exposure to trans people in any form, and seeing someone presenting as a man saying, "Well, Jerry, I'm really a woman" gave me a lot to unpack later in life.

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.
The audio on that last Dollop about Minnesotan right wing fuckery was woof. Someone tell Dave - I heard he loves hearing about that issue.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Speaking of bad audio: Anyone else listen to The Audit? It's probably the best podcast with the worst, most annoying loving theme I've ever heard. They even made a bonus, even more annoying theme for this season covering PragerU. The fact that it's mixed about 50% louder than the spoken parts is just gravy.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

That's something I've noticed with the podcasts I listen to that have a theme song. It's either not good, goes on for way too long, or both. It's kind of amazing

Anyway I hadn't even heard of The Audit, will have to check it out. I did listen to the theme for the newest episode and WOW that is terrible lol you weren't kidding

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Binowru posted:

Speaking of bad audio: Anyone else listen to The Audit? It's probably the best podcast with the worst, most annoying loving theme I've ever heard. They even made a bonus, even more annoying theme for this season covering PragerU. The fact that it's mixed about 50% louder than the spoken parts is just gravy.

On the plus side, the Lever seems to have at least managed to finally equalize the audio for Dave and whoever the guest is. Unfortunately Josh still finds a way to gently caress up his audio by both being way louder than everyone else and mumbling almost inaudibly in the same episode. Or my ears are just failing in Josh's particular register.

I don't even know why Podcasts insist on having theme songs anyway, I can't think of any that I don't skip like a commercial.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The entire West Wing Thing has hosed-up volume balancing, to the point where I was sometimes adjusting the volume depending on who was speaking. The Audit is several steps up from that!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What's the podcast of the last guest on The Audit? He was interesting.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The Muckrake with Jared Yates Sexton and Nick Hauselman

I had it in my feed for a while after one of his West Wing Thing appearances. It was decent, but I just didn't have time with everything else in my feed. The free version is one episode that's basically the first 20 minutes of their Patreon episode, followed by an hour or so long episode later in the week.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is Josh worth listening to much? I listened to a few audit episodes and the recent lever episode because i like Dave, but i am unsure just how much I like Josh’s opinions and way of speaking in a podcast

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I like Josh, he's got some great insights into show business and great stories about Harlen Ellison. But jeez does he repeat himself like he's going senile. If you binge episodes of the West Wing Thing, you'll find he'll tell the same anecdote multiple episodes in a row.

He also does that Hollywood thing of talking about everyone who he likes as being great and brialliant and talented. Which isnt that big of a deal, I assume thats just how you end up talking if you work in hollywood long enough.

I like the audit too but yeah christ the audio mixing for daves shows is really problematic, and Colin McCoys song are just way too long.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zeniel posted:

I like Josh, he's got some great insights into show business and great stories about Harlen Ellison. But jeez does he repeat himself like he's going senile. If you binge episodes of the West Wing Thing, you'll find he'll tell the same anecdote multiple episodes in a row.

I wasnt sure if the podcast was skipping or something because yeah, he definitely repeated himself a shitload in the few episodes i have listened to

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah I thought I had to make sure I was rewatching the same episode. Josh just really likes to tell the same anecdote to different guests.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Did you know that Hillary said "Game of Thrones" when she was asked which show was more like real-life politics, West Wing or Veep? I do, thanks to Josh telling that anecdote a hundred times. I get it - like Zeniel said, he wants to tell the same story to different guests. I think it's probably just easy to forget that there's an audience listening in addition to the guests.

The newest Dollop is a baseball 2-parter, and next week is where it's gonna get crazy, according to Dave. I'm both surprised and not surprised that Gareth didn't recognize the name Comiskey. I'm not a baseball fan, but I've heard of Comiskey Park. Also, there's some Aaron interaction near the beginning (not that you can hear him). I like when they bring Aaron into the conversation (like at the end of the Trump episodes, where he just slumps over, broken by the guy who voted for Trump after not being paid by him).

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 17, 2023

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
might'n't I the gristle

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Josh Olson had a pretty good podcast called Movies That Made Me he hosted with Joe Dante. Cool show with interesting people about movies they grew up on, dollop guys were on it once, chapo dudes too. There's an episode where William Friedkin is on and starts a tirade about how Trump is the most maligned president since Lincon, which is very funny

He does the same thing on it, this guy has like four loving thoughts in his head and one of them won an Oscar

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 18, 2023

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Nominated. I don't think he ever won.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i just realized you're talking about the guy who made that Infested movie that was on BOTW a few years back

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The Peccadillo posted:

Josh Olson had a pretty good podcast called Movies That Made Me he hosted with Joe Dante. Cool show with interesting people about movies they grew up on, dollop guys were on it once, chapo dudes too. There's an episode where William Friedkin is on and starts a tirade about how Trump is the most maligned president since Lincon, which is very funny

He does the same thing on it, this guy has like four loving thoughts in his head and one of them won an Oscar

Only reason I never checked that podcast is because I saw he got known murderer John Landis on at some point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Baseball Judge needs to be the new spinoff of The Cofishioner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Hello all. I made a feedback thread for RGD. Since this sub might be full of people who live in their bookmarks, I am linking it in here too. Come tell me about RGD.