Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ogmius815 posted:

Hey don’t tell us what the trigger is or anything. No need to be TOO helpful.

It is effectively the same trigger lol

if you don't want yiga to ambush you, don't fully complete the quest of "beat up the yiga boss"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m still searching for a cool looking hat 80 hours later. Links naked head with his wild hair has looked better than everything I’ve found

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hatty posted:

I’m still searching for a cool looking hat 80 hours later. Links naked head with his wild hair has looked better than everything I’ve found

Huge fan of the Luchadore mask that glows in the dark and has Link's wild hair coming out behind it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah I should finally heal that Grandma and buy that

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
climbing bandana or the cap of the wild.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Just finished the lightning temple. How are you supposed to use the beams of light during the boss fight?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Aim them at enemies, they count as "elemental" attacks.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
I just used the beams of light as cover so the gibdos would weaken themselves when they tried to come kill me. it basically makes you unreachable

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just stood in them and the dumbasses killed themselves trying to grab me

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

404notfound posted:

Just finished the lightning temple. How are you supposed to use the beams of light during the boss fight?

you can use mirror shields to hit things, but when I did it I just lured gibdos into them and left them there so they wiggled around on the ground and never respawned while I dealt with the boss

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there a way clear the lightning clouds in Necluda or are you supposed to explore those blind?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

404notfound posted:

Construct head with mirror on top worked wonders.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

hatty posted:

Yeah I should finally heal that Grandma and buy that

how do you get "wild greens" for the porridge? Not sure if that's an item I haven't encountered yet in 50+ hours or it's just a different name for something I have

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

ymgve posted:

how do you get "wild greens" for the porridge? Not sure if that's an item I haven't encountered yet in 50+ hours or it's just a different name for something I have

Hyrule herb.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think you just use Sundelions in place of the greens? Grandmas got the gloom so I think I just have to make sundelion porridge for her or something

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

ymgve posted:

Any sort of greens. I just used the sunny flower.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Which gems are needed for upgrades and which can I safely sell?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

They're all needed for upgrades I think

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
they're a lot more common in this game than they were in the last one and while I haven't upgraded All The Armor, none of the armor I actually cared about used the gems, so I don't think I'd worry much about selling stuff off

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Honestly the Proving Grounds shrines kick rear end. I thought they’d be awful like the Tests of Strength from BotW but I just had to sit back and let my army of killer roombas destroy everything.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Last night I did the first Follow the Statues questline in the depths, which got me my last missing ability and sent me right to the second one, so I did that too. The new incredibly insane Yiga clan kicks rear end, and I'm starting to feel like if I don't have a mastery over the depths, I can get comfortable down there -- I know how to get around, I know its tricks, as I turn on more and more lightroots it becomes less oppressive and more another land to explore.

The sky islands, on the other hand, continue to taunt me. They're so hard to get up to and it's even harder to figure out which ones I've been on before and which ones might have something neat!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CapnAndy posted:

The sky islands, on the other hand, continue to taunt me. They're so hard to get up to and it's even harder to figure out which ones I've been on before and which ones might have something neat!

Once you get the 5th sage the depths become a bit easier to explore.

Some of the islands require a lot of work to get to, pushing your use of zonai devices to the limit.

On that note, need a bit of advice here.

I'm trying to take down a King Gleeok. During the final phase when it goes way up in the sky, what's the best way to get up there? I know you can use the wind gusts it creates via lightning, but I can never seem to get up high enough.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

CapnAndy posted:

Do one main quest temple (I think that's the trigger) and you can get a side quest to go to Hateno and upgrade your pad, you get Hero's Quest mode on the map which shows exactly where you've been

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

ROFL Octopus posted:

Honestly the Proving Grounds shrines kick rear end. I thought they’d be awful like the Tests of Strength from BotW but I just had to sit back and let my army of killer roombas destroy everything.

I've done several where I solved it by just picking up a weapon, gluing it to a construct's fort, then flipping it over.

Then gluing that fort to the one next to it and repeating until I have a bunch of tiny floating forts and a pile of crunched/drowned robots

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ROFL Octopus posted:

there's a couple of those shrines that keep kicking my rear end, cause I got such terrible health I get one shotted by constructs still.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wow. Just made it through the first memory. And boy does it have me stoked for the rest of this poo poo.

so you telling me this chick done went back in time to meet her great-great-great-great-great Grand Mammy and Grand Pappy.

That’s what I call a plot twist.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Jose Oquendo posted:

Once you get the 5th sage the depths become a bit easier to explore.

Some of the islands require a lot of work to get to, pushing your use of zonai devices to the limit.

On that note, need a bit of advice here.

I'm trying to take down a King Gleeok. During the final phase when it goes way up in the sky, what's the best way to get up there? I know you can use the wind gusts it creates via lightning, but I can never seem to get up high enough.

I used a rocket shield and a couple keese eye arrows to take down the last couple slivers of health before it could get too high, otherwise you gotta keep riding gusts up until you can knock it back down.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Wow. Just made it through the first memory. And boy does it have me stoked for the rest of this poo poo.

so you telling me this chick done went back in time to meet her great-great-great-great-great Grand Mammy and Grand Pappy.

That’s what I call a plot twist.
You think that's wild, just wait!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rageaholic posted:

You think that's wild, just wait!

for reals.

110 hours in 3 temples down. accidentally did the stormcloud one because my 2 year old wanted to see what was in the "big cloud"

great game so far but yes the menus are clunky as all gently caress.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Here's a pro tip: if you happen to find a shrine's crystal before you activate the shrine that needs it, don't try to save yourself some effort by bringing it along with you because the shrine will just reset it once you get there :arghfist::saddumb:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
weird the one in boxville worked just fine for me pre-activating the shrine. maybe its just that one?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Captain Hygiene posted:

Here's a pro tip: if you happen to find a shrine's crystal before you activate the shrine that needs it, don't try to save yourself some effort by bringing it along with you because the shrine will just reset it once you get there :arghfist::saddumb:

... did you TOUCH the crystal, or just haul it around with ultrahand? Because touching the crystal is just another way to start the shrine quests.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah that's a bug. I've picked up crystals first and it lets you take them and activate the shrine.

Shabadu posted:

I used a rocket shield and a couple keese eye arrows to take down the last couple slivers of health before it could get too high, otherwise you gotta keep riding gusts up until you can knock it back down.

gently caress I always forget you can do that with the shield.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Did you examine the crystal when you encountered it? I delivered a crystal just fine without visiting the shrine first by kicking off the quest by examining the crystal.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The thread title mentions Ascend but I am constantly forgetting what Rewind exists. Outside of shrine puzzles I feel like I've barely touched it. I think the only time I've activated it outside of a shrine was when accidentally turning on a just-made car and watching it zoom off without me.

What useful or funny tricks are yall using it for?

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Throwing projectiles back (talus arms, flux construct cubes, I've heard you can do it to arrows even)

Recovering things I drop off sky islands

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The thread title mentions Ascend but I am constantly forgetting what Rewind exists. Outside of shrine puzzles I feel like I've barely touched it. I think the only time I've activated it outside of a shrine was when accidentally turning on a just-made car and watching it zoom off without me.

Rewind is easily the only/most useful combat power. You can use it to break Like Like armor by sending their rocks back at them, throw Moblins back into Bokoblins that threw them, Talus arms back into them, reverse explosive barrels or giant spike ball traps, turn that Flux Construct attack when then go into UFO mode into an elevator and you can do some amazingly dumb stuff by swinging around a big log then reversing it and having it bully a Lynel/

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

A trick so useful that there are multiple Shrines devoted to teaching you it's an option (and thus I'll spoiler-tag, since it's a puzzle solution too): Rewind reverses any motion, including what you caused yourself. If you want to get to somewhere that's within Ultrahand range, you can pick up a platform, hold it at the level you need it to be for a few seconds, drop it back down, then get on it and hit Rewind -- it'll lift itself right back up. You can do a lot of clever poo poo where you're basically interacting with your past self, so long as you can do the initial action in reverse.

CaptainJuan posted:

Throwing projectiles back (talus arms, flux construct cubes, I've heard you can do it to arrows even)
Also that, it turns every Talus in the game into a joke. Stand there daring it to do something, when it tries poo poo, send its arm back into its own face, it gets stunned, you climb/ascend up and beat its core up for a big, rinse, repeat.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It’s incredibly simple, but I felt very clever early on when I saw a korok diving ring down below a bridge, thought “Aw, I don’t want to have to climb back up after I get it”, and then realized I could just grab a nearby plank, drop it down before I jumped, and rewind it to get back up.

Also when I realized I could just rewind the fallen sky island blocks to get tons of height (they actually don’t follow the usual rules and will always spend their 30 second falling upward, no matter how long they’ve been sitting on the ground)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

My favorite trick with Rewind has been using it to break puzzles. “Oh, you want me to slam my head against the wall, five beers into a bender, on your clever physics puzzle?” Hold my beer because I’ve got to use ultrahand to pull a platform as high as I can take it, climb to the next level, hit rewind on the platform at the apex of its travel path, and catch it just before it falls.

The fact that breaking the game is a feature and not a bug is :piss:

E: I’m glad CapnAndy thread sniped me because I didn’t realize how my post could be a spoiler for fun game mechanics. In my defense, I’ve been enjoying a few beers while running around Hyrule. I’m incredibly excited to talk about this game. It’s incredible.

Does anyone know if there is a way to make Bluetooth headphones function half decently with the switch?

AllNewJonasSalk fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 24, 2023