Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Dak has let down the cowboys multiple times when it came down to him making a play; he has no "clutch" in him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Hurts definitely improved since getting in the NFL, no question. He threw some ugly rear end passes when he first got on the field

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You saw the eagles offense with Gardner
Minshew last year

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

euphronius posted:

Minshew last year
They very clearly forgot how to playcall in the Saints game. They threw like 75% of the time with the backup QB vs the #2 pass defense. RBs were going for like 10 YPC but they ran like... less than 10 times. I think they were hoping Minshew would light it up with that supporting cast so they would get a comp pick when he walked in FA and signed a big contract somewhere.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://wtop.com/washington-commanders/2023/05/goodell-confident-commanders-sale-will-gain-approval/

Sounds like the hold up is the league needing to rewrite their rules to allow it. Because the costs are skyrocketing for team sales, this is not going to be the last time someone will have to have an army of investors to raise enough capital otherwise there’s only like 10 or so billionaires able/willing to buy a team.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Minshew last year

Minshew put up 36 against Dallas; Hurts only scored 24.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Cartoon Man posted:

https://wtop.com/washington-commanders/2023/05/goodell-confident-commanders-sale-will-gain-approval/

Sounds like the hold up is the league needing to rewrite their rules to allow it. Because the costs are skyrocketing for team sales, this is not going to be the last time someone will have to have an army of investors to raise enough capital otherwise there’s only like 10 or so billionaires able/willing to buy a team.

they should probably make sure, like, none of the new owners are sex pests, but eh, you know the nfl

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

So...every QB in the NFL then?

I get what you're saying and there's always that thing where Montana had Jerry Rice or Marino never had a defense or a running game and what have you. Is Hurts better than Lamar Jackson because team had X, Y, Z? But I doubt anyone would say that Prescott has never had any weapons or help either. Or that his division was too tough. He's operated behind a stellar offensive line most of his career, has had plenty of WR's, RB's and defensive aid his entire time in the league and has never been asked to carry his team. EVER.

Dak has hardly been hamstrung by a lack of offensive or defensive support.

Jalen making the most of the talent and coaching he's surrounded by shouldn't be a mark against him either, and I'm not saying you're doing that FWIW. He's gotten better at the game every step of the way, works very hard at his craft from all accounts and gave KC and the best QB/Coach/team in the entire league all they wanted in the Super Bowl last year. It's a TEAM game, more than any other sport, and Hurts has made the most of his opportunities so far.

I don't know what he looks like playing for the Browns, the Saints, the Jets or the Cardinals but I can say the same for Prescott. Would, say, Washington be a better team with:

Dak?
Jalen?

I think the answer is clear.

The following things are all true:
- Dak has always had enough around him to succeed.
- Dak has played only one full season with both CeeDee Lamb and Amari Cooper; Dallas led the NFL in points and yards that year.
- Dak has posted a top 5 offense in five of the seven seasons he's played.
- Dak spent half of his career in a Garrett/Linehan offense, while also sacrificing 15 plays a game to the Zeke Elliot Contract from 2019-2022.
- Dallas has had just a Pretty Good O line most seasons, some big holes for long stretches, due to injury. 2016 was the only year, IMO, that he played with a dominant line.

- Dak Prescott led 14 game-winning drives in his first 3 seasons, which is the most by any QB through 3 seasons since at least 1960. (this stat just popped up on PFR and I thought it was neat).

Nov 6, 2002

blarzgh posted:

- Dak Prescott led 14 game-winning drives in his first 3 seasons, which is the most by any QB through 3 seasons since at least 1960. (this stat just popped up on PFR and I thought it was neat).

no one is impressed by any of these cherry picked dak stats

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm not impressed but I'm also really loathe to think of Dak as a bad QB. I've seen him enough throughout college and the pros. The guy can absolutely ball and multiple outlets have gone over his INTs proving that most of them aren't his fault. I really don't see how he can be blamed for an inflated INT total this year when balls were pinging off of WRs hands.

This is a Dallas Cowboys QB we're talking about. The media and fans are going to find every way to validate or invalidate him.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

no one is impressed by any of these cherry picked dak stats

I THOUGH T IT WAS NEAT

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

blarzgh posted:

I looked at the box scores and Minshew scored 6 points on a 1 yard rush. Anyway the important thing is he lost

Hurts did not score any points against Dallas last year, BUT he won the game.

As an aside Points scored by a QB is a strange way to judge them. For example tom Brady barely scores any points but hes the best QB of all time.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 24, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

I looked at the box scores and Minshew scored 6 points on a 1 yard rush. Anyway the important thing is he lost

Hurts did not score any points against Dallas last year, BUT he won the game.

As an aside Points scored by a QB is a strange way to judge them. For example tom Brady barely scores any points but hes the best QB of all time.

So QBs are responsible for the defense but do not get credit for throwing the ball on a TD pass?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They do but that is not the QB "scoring" the TD.

Anyway a QB in a game where his teams scores 40 pts can play worse than a QB in a game where his team scores 24 points. Looking at team scoring on its own does not tell me much.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 24, 2023

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It doesn’t matter how good Dak is, he is a loser to the core while wearing a Cowboys Uniform.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This Tom Brady guy? He never scored.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Diqnol posted:

It doesn’t matter how good Dak is, he is a loser to the core while wearing a Cowboys Uniform.

I think this is where a lot of people are coming from when they say Hurts is a better QB. Blarzgh tries his best, but you cannot use logic to talk someone out of a position when the original position is not based upon logic.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

blarzgh posted:

Minshew also almost left the Eagles without any receivers by hucking hospital balls left and right. Hurts has definitely benefited from the supporting cast, but I think that game shows how hard everyone else would have had to hustle without a good qb.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

165 pts in 335 regular season games. Kickers score way more for example. Justin tucker has 1500 pts or so in 178 games. Justin Tucker is not a better QB than Tom Brady

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

What the gently caress are we even talking about, god I hate the offseason. Isn’t it about time for somebody in the NFC East to get arrested by now?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

euphronius posted:

Justin Tucker is not a better QB than Tom Brady

but by the time preseason rolls around i would not be surprised to see this thread making the assertion

Nov 6, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think this is where a lot of people are coming from when they say Hurts is a better QB. Blarzgh tries his best, but you cannot use logic to talk someone out of a position when the original position is not based upon logic.

football stats don't have much to do with "logic"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cartoon Man posted:

What the gently caress are we even talking about, god I hate the offseason. Isn’t it about time for somebody in the NFC East to get arrested by now?

Euphronius is trying to say that the only points a QB scores are on the ground as a way to argue that Jalen Hurts actually did better against the cowboys than Gardner Minshew even though the Minshew led offense scored more points.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Minshew led defense, on the other hand, gave up a lot more points to Dak than the Hurts led defense did against Cooper Rush, so another feather in the cap for Jalen!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

The Minshew led defense, on the other hand, gave up a lot more points to Dak than the Hurts led defense did against Cooper Rush, so another feather in the cap for Jalen!

Correct

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Both Eagles/Cowboys games featured one starting QB versus the other team's backup so this entire argument is goofy

Hopefully this year we get a pure matchup and the meteor puts up the best numbers

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Black Lighter posted:

Minshew also almost left the Eagles without any receivers by hucking hospital balls left and right. Hurts has definitely benefited from the supporting cast, but I think that game shows how hard everyone else would have had to hustle without a good qb.

I'm not being sincere, I'm teeing up Euphronius for his 'QB WINZZZ' bit

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Who even is that; didn't Dak Prescott kill him last year in the playoffs

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not legally anyway, since he always cheated.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

There is an inherent logic to Dallas being a mismanaged organization and this consigning its players to losing and thus bring losers. But obviously division rivals will troll too :)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

xpost:

Traxis posted:

I wonder if they will work through the issues or just change names again

https://twitter.com/JoshGerben/status/1661392059813470208

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Welcome back WFT!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Time for the new owners to pick a good name.

Nov 6, 2002

"Commanders" is trash tier anyway.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Diqnol posted:

There is an inherent logic to Dallas being a mismanaged organization and this consigning its players to losing and thus bring losers. But obviously division rivals will troll too :)

Jerry Jones won executive of the year or whatever for his "excellent" GM work within the past decade

I'm still laughing about it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Diqnol posted:

xpost:

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Welcome back WFT!

Oh no, how dreadful.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

The Washington Football Team will become a team of masterless men, roaming America and challenging any groups of 50 or more athletes that they find to football games.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Quiet Feet posted:

The Washington Football Team will become a team of masterless men, roaming America and challenging any groups of 50 or more athletes that they find to football games.

And often losing!

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Quiet Feet posted:

The Washington Ronin

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

fartknocker posted:

And often losing!

The Washington Generals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

Jerry Jones won executive of the year or whatever for his "excellent" GM work within the past decade

I'm still laughing about it

Specifically for the year where he tried to take Jonny Football, and his son physically had to tackle him and rip the card out of his hand so they could pick Zack Martin!!!