Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, someone should try to play on the last difficulty, Exterminatus. The game has four. Maybe on that one it will be hard enough.
I'm playing on Hard and it has been decent to not-so-decent : around 40% is the challenging, fair but not that hard difficulty that I want, and the other 60% has been a bit too easy.

I'll definitely play on Exterminatus and see how it goes once I wrap up my HROT playthrough. All of this talk about how easy Boltgun was was making me a little nervous, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

For this type of game? Absolutely.

Almost done though. I'm so pumped

For reference:

Amid Evil is 4.72Gb
Dusk is 8.32Gb
HROT is 255Mb
Hedon Bloodrite is 567Mb
Wrath Aeon of Ruin (early access) 429Mb
Graven (early acess) 3.72Gb

So yeah, it wildly swings depending on the engine and tech used, 4Gb is decent for a UE game. Deep Rock Galackting is 2.92Gb because levels are generated so it will actually be bigger when ingame. Same goes with a game like No Man's Sky that is around 12gb.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah, again I was less bothered that it was taking up space so much as I was pissed it was taking forever to download lol. But if it had 3d poo poo like someone said it's probably gonna be bigger I assume. Real funny story: I was going to poke fun at how slowly it ran and poorly on my terrible comp. Turns out, I don't even have the minimum requirements despite being two levels in. If anything this is the best optimized game of the year!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I feel pretty dumb, I'm just learning from watching pagb's video that holding down the trigger keeps the chainsword going and you can stunlock even big guys with it? I thought it was just a tap and one hit thing

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

site posted:

I feel pretty dumb, I'm just learning from watching pagb's video that holding down the trigger keeps the chainsword going and you can stunlock even big guys with it? I thought it was just a tap and one hit thing

I think you’re supposed to button mash it. That’s what I’ve been doing anyway, and it works

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ah okay cool

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It took me a while to figure out and I still guess I mostly just fiddle with it til I hit paydirt but the first time you kill a chaos space marine with it makes it all worthwhile

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I guess Boltgun goes to show that a little bit of marketing really does make a difference. It got day-one reviews from a bunch of big sites and youtube streamers, even ones who wouldn't usually pay much attention to this type of game, is currently at third place in Steam's top sellers list, and has had many times more concurrent players than any other retro shooter ever has. Now that's not to say it'll end up having as long a tail as something like DUSK, it's just an observation. Anyway, I'm definitely gonna pick it up but I'll need something between it and Prodeus, which I'm playing now, since they both clearly fall under the unabashed power fantasy label.

Speaking of, Prodeus feels just a hair's breadth away from greatness. The moving and shooting is excellent and the map design is on point; it's just fun to play. But there are a bunch of little niggles that really add up.

-The save system has been litigated to death. But that won't stop me! It's bad.
-A lot of things seem strangely hacked together. The overworld, for example, why can't you just click where you want to go? The time trials are ostensibly based around a single weapon but you actually have your full arsenal and can use whatever you want. The shop is jank and stop telling me to rate it every time. In fact, stop telling me to rate the official levels at all! If you quit mid-mission, you'll have to restart from the beginning.
-I still wish you could turn off a lot of the pseudo-oldschool visuals, things look overly pixelated from afar and I want 3D weapons instead of sprites.
-As mentioned, the maps have been great so far, but visually pretty similar and quite a few of them include points of no return.
-I bumped the difficulty up to hard and it's still been real easy, but I hear that changes (for the worse?) later on.
-Awful, huge menus.
-3D automaps have been done before, and far better.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don’t underestimate the draw of the Warhammer 40K/ space marine license

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think people found the idea of doing a new Warhammer 40k FPS... but doing it a boomer shooter, really novel and appealing. Journalists saw it as novel enough as to make news of it when it was announced, which increased the word of mouth. It reached people who are not into the other usual boomer shooters we know of.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My interest went way up when I saw the taunt button, honestly

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

Speaking of, Prodeus feels just a hair's breadth away from greatness. The moving and shooting is excellent and the map design is on point; it's just fun to play. But there are a bunch of little niggles that really add up.

-The save system has been litigated to death. But that won't stop me! It's bad.
-A lot of things seem strangely hacked together. The overworld, for example, why can't you just click where you want to go? The time trials are ostensibly based around a single weapon but you actually have your full arsenal and can use whatever you want. The shop is jank and stop telling me to rate it every time. In fact, stop telling me to rate the official levels at all! If you quit mid-mission, you'll have to restart from the beginning.
-I still wish you could turn off a lot of the pseudo-oldschool visuals, things look overly pixelated from afar and I want 3D weapons instead of sprites.
-As mentioned, the maps have been great so far, but visually pretty similar and quite a few of them include points of no return.
-I bumped the difficulty up to hard and it's still been real easy, but I hear that changes (for the worse?) later on.
-Awful, huge menus.
-3D automaps have been done before, and far better.

I agree with all of this, and it's why Prodeus is toward the bottom of my list of Retro FPS games I've played thus far. It's not bad but it's got a lot of frustrating flaws.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

My interest went way up when I saw the taunt button, honestly

pretty wide repertoire of taunts. But it does make the main character come off as a total weenie though. He’s no Duke

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

pretty wide repertoire of taunts. But it does make the main character come off as a total weenie though. He’s no Duke

On the other hand, renaming "armor" to "contempt" is a way more successful version of what DNF tried to do with the ego mechanic, so now they're even

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

skasion posted:

He's too young sounding, basically. Pretty much even the youngest Warhammer character should sound like a 50-something longshoreman with a pack-a-day habit. Cast for gruff!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Spess marines are genetically and biologically perfect, so maybe it makes sense if they all sound like 30 year old dudes!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I agree with all of this, and it's why Prodeus is toward the bottom of my list of Retro FPS games I've played thus far. It's not bad but it's got a lot of frustrating flaws.

Oh, despite all my complaints I'd still put it above stuff like Dread Templar, HROT demos and that Postal game, below stuff like DUSK and AE.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prodeus is maybe my least fave of all the boomer shooters I've played. The design is awful

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I don't know about the HROT demo or if it would be different, but I'd definitely rank HROT 1.0 above Prodeus at this point. Postal Brain Damaged too! Prodeus can eat the most poo poo of any game I still might recommend to somebody with a dozen caveats.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's very funny how much this thread hates prodeus when it's like the only shooter other than doom i leave installed

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I did the first boss. I think the level next to that it's much better than the previous ones. What is this? The level looks unique, it has areas that are clearly differentiated, it has a sense of place:

and it has some interesting encounter design, like the courtyard fight, the spiral stair climb, an ambush, fights that are different (there is a mini "caco cloud" fight, for example). It has unique areas like a warp gate maze. Much better.
edit: it was the last level of the first episode. I'm into the second episode, where there is a new environment, which is good as I was tired of the previous one.

edit 2: the streak of decent level design continues with e2m1 and e2m2. Maybe the game ends up being really good.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 24, 2023

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Turin Turambar posted:

Spess marines are genetically and biologically perfect, so maybe it makes sense if they all sound like 30 year old dudes!

I hope for modding (I know there won't be modding) so someone can replace the taunts with a literal 12 year old. Give me a genetically perfect man with a squeaky voice calling the hordes of chaos doo-doo heads.

Yes, I know actual 12 year olds don't talk like that, some of the most devastating insults I have received were from that age. Maybe get the kids to write their own insults.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

site posted:

it's very funny how much this thread hates prodeus when it's like the only shooter other than doom i leave installed
it's a good game

i saw that Dread Delusion just got a content update, adding a new questline, a new dungeon, a new endless region/quest, performance enhancements, and now human enemies can use shields and potions

also Hedon Bloodrite got an update, I know someone mentioned Hedon earlier, it looks like it has a new movement system and graphical enhancements but also will wipe your saves

lastly Forgive Me Father got a balance update to lessen the bullet sponginess of enemies across the board, which may give some indication as to how they'll be designing FMF2 which they recently announced

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 24, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

Jeez, arrogant way to tell us someone just had a birthday.

haveblue posted:

On the other hand, renaming "armor" to "contempt" is a way more successful version of what DNF tried to do with the ego mechanic, so now they're even

What else does this? Fashion Police Squad has swag

Anyway, what's the best topic in the hardware software sub for graphic card recommendations? I didn't see a dedicated one unless it got its title switched to a joke

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Jeez, arrogant way to tell us someone just had a birthday.

I wish I still was a 30 years old :emo:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anyway, what's the best topic in the hardware software sub for graphic card recommendations? I didn't see a dedicated one unless it got its title switched to a joke

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3484126

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Prodeus seemed to be on track to reach the finish line smoothly and safely, yet the devs decided at the last second to swerve directly into a series of trees. The core game is still solid and fun, but the frame is beat up no matter how you look at it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh I looked up "card" instead lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bungie has just announced a new Marathon game. Very sick aesthetic.

But you know, it could be now a GaaS online game only.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

It definitely wasn't very clear what sort of game it's going to be, but I got vibes of a team-based shooter.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It definitely wasn't very clear what sort of game it's going to be, but I got vibes of a team-based shooter.

I just read there are rumors of being an extraction shooter.,

yes, another one of those.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

quote:

Become a Runner in Bungie’s new sci-fi PvP extraction shooter. Compete for survival, riches, and renown in a world of evolving, persistent zones, where any run can lead to greatness.

Marathon is currently in development for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC with full cross play and cross save.

https://www.marathonthegame.com/y3vmGPNRxH3RNTqLkq5PFXZy

Lets make a game that has nothing to do with Marathon and just call it Marathon.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
*faaart*

sounds like poopoo
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/10/21/more-info-on-bungies-new-marathon-game-which-seems-very-real/?sh=6c623a0dd544

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Something a little bit sad about a new marathon game that doesn't have a mac release...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i love pvp battle royale extraction co-op shooters w/ hobby grade battlepass

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

presuming it’s live service bullshit

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yikes

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
buying a gun will cost 100 bobs

you earn 1 bob for running 26.2 miles in the game

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Yep, Sony-backed Bungie is going straight to the jugular with their first new game under them, and the first Marathon in decades. This does not bode well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
What the hell is an extraction shooter

Is that like Deep Rock Galactic?