Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I had to double-check that I wasn't in the Doomsday Econ thread. IK duty in that thread shattered Hoot's psyche for some reason, weird to see his insanity in different context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

SARS-Cordyceps posted:

At the grocery today the cashier had one of these. She pulled her mask down to let out a wet cough, but then strangely pulled it back up so the top flap was inside her mouth, and talked to me with muffled words the whole rest of the time due to the flap stuffed into her uncovered mouth.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

SARS-Cordyceps posted:

Could you consider putting in some editorial thoughts with these tables posts just to make sure I'm parsing the numbers correctly? I'm not confident about it.

What kind of editorializing are you looking for?

The numbers can inform whatever risk thresholds you've setup for yourself. If hospitalizations have been down, week over week, for five weeks - I know that there's (likely) less COVID around and I can more confidently take risks while outside. Sure, its a metric that lags behind infections, but it's probably one of the more reliable metrics we still have around.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Is the thread consensus that we could use a second IK and is Shiroc the top suggestion and do we have any other contenders?

Vibe check on a Hootington thread ban? I can't tell if their posts rise to the level of needing to banish them from the thread or if I'm just experiencing a side effect from having to read pages of their posts.

I like the idea of Shiroc being an IK. Hootington is someone I always see agitating others, instead of contributing to any discussion. With that said, maybe see if an extra IK is useful in corralling their slap-fights; if that doesn't work out, try the more severe tactic.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

mycomancy posted:

I had to double-check that I wasn't in the Doomsday Econ thread. IK duty in that thread shattered Hoot's psyche for some reason, weird to see his insanity in different context.

Do you mean the Glenn thread? His profile doesn't say he IKs Doomsday Econ, just Glenn

SARS-Cordyceps
May 15, 2022

by vyelkin
I nominate for IK anyone who has the presence of mind and familiarity here to be on the "no Hoot" side, honestly. It's really a dead simple litmus test of if you're willing to step up and use authority when it's actually needed. Other posters have what seems like an infinite patience for cruelty and offering second chances even when that's the entire history. If it was me making a website there'd be no tolerance at all for cruel personality types.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Kragger99 posted:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9718967/calgary-er-doctors-system-in-crisis/

"Calgary ER doctors sound alarm over system in crisis"

“Signs of a capacity crisis are everywhere,” an open letter to Albertans signed by more than 180 emergency physicians reads.

“Our emergency departments are collapsing and frontline healthcare workers have truly had enough. We cannot bear to watch our patients suffer any longer with no end in sight.”

Francis said many of the expectations as health-care professionals, navigating the stresses of a once-in-a-century pandemic, were to to see some light on the other side.

“I honestly feel like it’s kind of the opposite. It feels like we’ve just come through the pandemic and we should be breathing and taking a break and instead we’re just getting doubled down and pounded again, largely, I think, because of issues with staffing.”

Found your loving problem dipshit:

Delta in Aqua, Omicron+ in Red.

Peacefully entering a period of mild endemicity :hmmyes:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
To be fair Something Awful has a long and distinguished history of just the worst loving posting on the internet and it's an essential aspect of our culture at this point.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Trixie Hardcore posted:

:siren: Hi covid thread, planting week(s) is officially over and I did a skim catch up with the thread. A couple quick questions: :siren:

Is the thread consensus that we could use a second IK and is Shiroc the top suggestion and do we have any other contenders?

Vibe check on a Hootington thread ban? I can't tell if their posts rise to the level of needing to banish them from the thread or if I'm just experiencing a side effect from having to read pages of their posts.

yes, yes, also yes

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Colin Mockery posted:

Do you mean the Glenn thread? His profile doesn't say he IKs Doomsday Econ, just Glenn

He's not anymore.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've had hoot on ignore for so long that they largely don't exist to me and I don't know why anyone ever engages with them.

I can take them off so I can see the really stupid poo poo that should get smacked as a rule if it comes to it. Though, I won't fight if they get threadbanned, it just absolutely will result in a ton of whining and people slamming in here.

Shiroc has issued a correction as of 22:53 on May 24, 2023

SARS-Cordyceps
May 15, 2022

by vyelkin

DarkLich posted:

What kind of editorializing are you looking for?

The numbers can inform whatever risk thresholds you've setup for yourself. If hospitalizations have been down, week over week, for five weeks - I know that there's (likely) less COVID around and I can more confidently take risks while outside.

I'm saying that due to the numbers all being derivatives compared to other derivatives (I think?) that I'm literally having trouble interpretting them and always do, and just hearing you add in that you think it looks down today clarifies what I'm looking at in a second way. Thanks for bringing in data.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Shiroc posted:

I've had hoot on ignore for so long that they largely don't exist to me and I don't know why anyone ever engages with them.

I can take them off so I can see the really stupid poo poo that should get smacked as a rule if it comes to it.

I cleared my ignore list when I became a mod because I felt like it was my civic duty to read bad posts.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Trixie Hardcore posted:

:siren: Hi covid thread, planting week(s) is officially over and I did a skim catch up with the thread. A couple quick questions: :siren:

Hootington actively worsens this thread

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Is the thread consensus that we could use a second IK and is Shiroc the top suggestion
Hell yeah

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Also Shiroc for IK

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
guess this answers the question of if Fauci is still masking

https://twitter.com/hillea/status/1661186061609975809?t=D6oCJBz-KF6cRnqa0Ux6Yw&s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Is this outdoors?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What if instead of improving conditions [in the thread], we simply redefined what ”good” looks like and raised concern about the mental health of anyone who expressed dissatisfaction with this state of affairs?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

good for them, never too late to learn a new skill

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I think another IK would be good and
Yes please banish H

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
News results for “Fauci watercolor”.

Pence is now an upstanding citizen who is vaxxed & relaxed, and good for her.

quote:

“I was dumbstruck that Pence did it,” Politico cartoonist Matt Wuerker says, “and equally dumbstruck that the doctors at the Mayo Clinic allowed him to do it. If this had been an episode of ‘ER,’ Dr. George Clooney would have dramatically barred the door and explained that the doctors in the hospital had sworn an oath and it wasn’t to Trump.”

Who was it to, motherucker?

Who was it to?

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 23:09 on May 24, 2023

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Gonna add to the chorus that Hootington adds nothing to conversations except agitation and cruelty. Putting him on ignore improved my CSPAM lurking experience by a lot. The threadban is already warranted for the thread's sake and maybe posting exile might get him to reflect a little too as a bonus.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
forums court conversations suck. they suck in SAD, in the CSPAM feedback thread, and apparently itt too. either something rises to some sort of action or it doesnt. like the slap fight a few days ago, caught some sixers, and it stopped

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
These politoons aged like fine wine.

Also old white guys look samey when drawn by politoon artisans.

SARS-Cordyceps
May 15, 2022

by vyelkin

fosborb posted:

forums court conversations suck. they suck in SAD, in the CSPAM feedback thread, and apparently itt too.

What do you mean sucks in particular? Trixie's asking of a vibe question to the community, or the resulting information so far? Everyone is being civil.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Platystemon posted:

News results for “Fauci watercolor”.

I've decided Fauci is taking watercolor classes because he's getting into the "Orgasm Art" business too. This is basically like when GWB started painting dogs.

fosborb posted:

forums court conversations suck. they suck in SAD, in the CSPAM feedback thread, and apparently itt too. either something rises to some sort of action or it doesnt. like the slap fight a few days ago, caught some sixers, and it stopped

I agree however, while I felt that Hootington's posts rose to needing at least a temp thread ban I really try to shy away from thread bans and because I read like 600+ posts in one sitting I couldn't tell if maybe I was making that call due to having to read so many of their posts at once.

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

fosborb posted:

Yeah but the anklebiter's intent is to be anklebiting continuously. It's all they've got to do here.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Crown Shiroc. Yeet Hoot.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i'm against thread banning, and pro ik. but freely throw out sixers with this as the probe reason

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I've decided Fauci is taking watercolor classes because he's getting into the "Orgasm Art" business too. This is basically like when GWB started painting dogs.

Coming from you, this is an expert opinion, which as you can tell by this handy diagram, is the bedrock of all knowledge.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Fur20 posted:

i'm against thread banning, and pro ik. but freely throw out sixers with this as the probe reason

I’m not sure I get a say because I’m kind of a dumbass lurker but :emptyquote:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Don't like the idea of thread bans, no objection to having shiroc ik

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/greg_travis/status/1661099182554243072

edit: lmao

quote:

Situations in which I’m now OK WITHOUT MASKING: eating indoors in restaurants, as well as other small indoor gatherings in homes or offices. All of this could change if case rates spike. But for now, the pleasures outweigh the risk, at least to me. (19/25)

https://twitter.com/Bob_Wachter/status/1660819468585689089

ibid has issued a correction as of 23:46 on May 24, 2023

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I'm not really for thread bans. They haven't rose to the level of being a fridge doctor.

But sure let Shiroc be an ik, it would look good on her resume and it'll be a stepping stone to mod then admin

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Shiroc seems like a fine choice for a second IK if that's happening. Hoot should not post here, one way or the other.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Throwing my vote in for Shiroc

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I think we should make a novel virus IK

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin
so, I'm being pathologized and ostracized from everyone in my life right now because of my respirator game.

one of the counsellors I'm being forced to see is telling me that I have confirmation biased myself into a corner. his sole counter-argument was 'if your position is true, why are we not seeing increases in long term care patients in Canada?'

I've looked for stats on this and haven't found much. any goon input?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Osv18 posted:

so, I'm being pathologized and ostracized from everyone in my life right now because of my respirator game.

one of the counsellors I'm being forced to see is telling me that I have confirmation biased myself into a corner. his sole counter-argument was 'if your position is true, why are we not seeing increases in long term care patients in Canada?'

I've looked for stats on this and haven't found much. any goon input?

1. Canada is the country that has massively expanded euthanasia to get rid of disabled and poor people
2. Do you live in Canada? If not, well there you go
3. We don't test for COVID anymore and have continually redefined how COVID positive tests are recorded and tabulated so as to hide cases
4. Ask your counsellor why he is obsessing about the respirator. Recommend that he consider taking antianxiety medication, exercise, do regular CBT, and see a counsellor.
5. Say you've conducted your own, personal risk assessment in line with CDC and WHO recommendations and are taking their advice of "you do you"

bedpan has issued a correction as of 00:01 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 01:14 on Jun 29, 2023