Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

I was taught these techniques in the loving pits of Salacius-69.

Far out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

SubNat posted:

Yeah, I'm looking forwards to checking it out myself. Heard a lot of good about it, but finally got around to ordering it today.
Of all things, a doom wad is making it have a sudden spike in popularity.

weird, i wasn't aware! i wonder if the "backrooms" enjoyers are recommending it to each other as well, there's a lot of overlap in that style of horror

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Hooplah posted:

weird, i wasn't aware! i wonder if the "backrooms" enjoyers are recommending it to each other as well, there's a lot of overlap in that style of horror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wAo54DHDY0

It’s an interesting watch and got me thinking about re-reading House of Leaves. There’s some backrooms stuff in the .wad, too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What part of that 102 minute YouTube should I focus on

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

euphronius posted:

turn on your monitor

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

bike tory posted:

apparently this is a bit of an urban legend, the only evidence of a car in Ohio in that era was in 1895

That is also an urban legend.

The only evidence of Ohio dates back to 1957

:negative:

https://i.imgur.com/zFWTBDl.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

euphronius posted:

none of it. it's getting posted all over the forums and it is really not that interesting.

tl;dr: the map does some technically impressive things with the doom engine, it is vaguely spooky (but absolutely not "terrifying") in an ARG/scp project sort of way, it it has several false endings and misdirections depending on how you play it, and fundamentally it is all just a big reference to the book "house of leaves," which is incomprehensible and overrated.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 19:49 on May 24, 2023

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Kenneth Anger and Tina Turner died, poo poo what a day

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

"incomprehensible" lmfao

the book is many things and definitely has its faults, but being ~super complicated~ is absolutely not one of them

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

teen witch posted:

Kenneth Anger and Tina Turner died, poo poo what a day

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Sagebrush posted:

none of it. it's getting posted all over the forums and it is really not that interesting.

tl;dr: the map does some technically impressive things with the doom engine, it is vaguely spooky (but absolutely not "terrifying") in an ARG/scp project sort of way, it it has several false endings and misdirections depending on how you play it, and fundamentally it is all just a big reference to the book "house of leaves," which is incomprehensible and overrated.

I'm mostly impressed that this, quite boring honestly, video is considerably longer than a 3-part series showcasing both the map and how the in-game tricks work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq1-TZXz9xo

But I guess mediocre YTubers also have a chance to be blessed by the powerful algorithm

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

laserghost posted:

I'm mostly impressed that this, quite boring honestly, video is considerably longer than a 3-part series showcasing both the map and how the in-game tricks work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq1-TZXz9xo

But I guess mediocre YTubers also have a chance to be blessed by the powerful algorithm

Youtubers trying to extend their viewtimes:

All according to keikaku

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s not cleopatra

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SubNat posted:

Yeah, I'm looking forwards to checking it out myself. Heard a lot of good about it, but finally got around to ordering it today.
Of all things, a doom wad is making it have a sudden spike in popularity.

What is the name of this book you are referring to?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Baronjutter posted:

What is the name of this book you are referring to?

House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Grassy Knowles posted:

House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski

It's real good and I highly recommend buying or borrowing the physical copy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

taiyoko posted:

I can say I've seen a programmer who at least wears a dress shirt and slacks to work, not so much the tie anymore.... Because he's my dad. And isn't supposed to be doing as much programming as he is since he's now management, but he's always having to go debug code. I think the most dressed-down I've ever seen him for work was a polo and slacks. All private companies, too.

Oh this was in the COBOL era (which is why I said programmer not developer). I.e. like 2005 at the latest.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I bought House of Leaves like 10 years ago and it has somehow just sat on my shelves despite me reading a lot of more "complicated" books in that time. But it did get us this awesome remix of his sister's song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXUeat8wTDE

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Kit Walker posted:

I tried borrowing a physical copy, but the guy I knew who had it was convinced by the book to burn his copy to ashes. :shrug:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Flapjack Monty posted:

I tried borrowing a physical copy, but the guy I knew who had it was convinced by the book to burn his copy to ashes. :shrug:

I’ll accept a ton of criticism of the book, but that guy was just stupid

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Flapjack Monty posted:

grandson of the guy who jumped out of the way of the train at the first moving picture show

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What you don't burn your leaves

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

House of Leaves was a real good read, enjoyed it a lot. If you want incomprehensible, check out Only Revolutions by the same author. Still have no clue what the gently caress that book is about

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Kit Walker posted:

1/3 of it is real good. the 2/3 in the "present" are boring as poo poo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I like hosed-up books but I don't like the effort of reading them.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Hooplah posted:

"incomprehensible" lmfao

the book is many things and definitely has its faults, but being ~super complicated~ is absolutely not one of them

I don’t know, there were parts.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

LawfulWaffle posted:

is this some sort of redditor book

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

projecthalaxy posted:

is this some sort of redditor book

Redditors don't read books idiot

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Heath posted:

Redditors don't read books idiot

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TwistyOnline/status/1661323497849729026

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs

bike tory posted:

would you say the franchise is ruined and it was a slap in the face to all fans?

unrelated:

I like the tits.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

LawfulWaffle posted:

Yeah I mean it’s extremely pretentious with all the metafiction and postmodernist “medium is the message” bs but the actual text/narrative is pretty straightforward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

If my home grew larger on the inside I would simply start subletting immediately. Sigma grindset baby