Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fez_machine posted:

When it carries connotations of being expensive and ad free? Discovery's whole model is serving slop to millions of cheap customers. If it wants the streaming service to efficiently serve slop and have mid episode ad breaks then getting rid of the HBO makes sense.

That's what subsidiaries are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Upsidads posted:

Wonder if I should buckle and get Paramont+ now or see if they ever have a sale on Memorial Day....

Those sales always seem to be for the trash tiers where you pay to watch ads

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Hey now, my wife's parents who share our HBO Max are pumped about the amount of trash available to them now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

david_a posted:

I can't imagine myself ever paying for a streaming service with ads. gently caress that. I'll do filez.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

david_a posted:

Paying $12/year for hulu and having to see flo from progressive twice an hour or so is better than paying $120/year and not seeing her imho

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
my conspiracy theory is that there were a bunch of contracts to get royalties from streaming on HBO and they released Max so they could avoid paying them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Wolfsheim posted:

Paying $12/year for hulu and having to see flo from progressive twice an hour or so is better than paying $120/year and not seeing her imho

Pay nothing. There is nothing you need to watch on Hulu that badly.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Never try to enjoy

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Frasier, The X Files and Just Shoot Me

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I THOUGHT I’d want Hulu to watch the new Futurama, but then I read the episode titles and said “I’ll wait until the Blu-ray comes out.”

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1661206309532848130?t=eRqzyIlSHFhVvJ2s05rMMw&s=19

absolutely hosed

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

mcmagic posted:

Playing the VPN/torrent dance is a young man's game (see: the giant HDD of old sitcoms and movies I haven't bothered to plug in for years), and pretending there's some innate streaming standards you're abiding by is foolhardy

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Zaslav you wild bitch

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

lol that's loving nuts.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Spielberg and scorcese not even top billed lol

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

I THOUGHT I’d want Hulu to watch the new Futurama, but then I read the episode titles and said “I’ll wait until the Blu-ray comes out.”

"The Impossible Stream"
"Rage Against The Vaccine"
"Zapp Gets Cancelled"
"The Prince And The Product"
"Related To Items You've Viewed"
"Children Of A Lesser Bog"
"How The West Was 1010001"
"I Know What You Did Last Xmas"
"Parasites Regained"
"All The Way Down"

The first three sound like they're going to be rough to watch.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Doesn't this interfere with actual contacts and rights issues

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

New season of Warrior comes out this summer so I'm re-watching the first two. So good. Highly recommend it!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

LifeLynx posted:

"The Impossible Stream"
"Rage Against The Vaccine"
"Zapp Gets Cancelled"
"The Prince And The Product"
"Related To Items You've Viewed"
"Children Of A Lesser Bog"
"How The West Was 1010001"
"I Know What You Did Last Xmas"
"Parasites Regained"
"All The Way Down"

The first three sound like they're going to be rough to watch.

Maybe the first two. Any episode focused on Zapp is almost always solid gold.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Write what you know. Who knows more about being cancelled than Futurama?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Playing the VPN/torrent dance is a young man's game (see: the giant HDD of old sitcoms and movies I haven't bothered to plug in for years), and pretending there's some innate streaming standards you're abiding by is foolhardy

I have free access to the Hulu ad tier via a friend who gave me their login and I literally never use it because the commercials make everything completely unwatchable.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

10 Beers posted:

New season of Warrior comes out this summer so I'm re-watching the first two. So good. Highly recommend it!

oh fun I just started watching that last night

I watched The Verdict last night too which is a dead serious movie but I LOLed when Paul Newman just haymakered that lady at the very end, what a time capsule

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 24, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pretty happy that The Idol is getting awful reviews it looks gross and lovely.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Its going predictably very poorly for them:

https://twitter.com/anoushasakoui/status/1661407741691449344

https://twitter.com/LexiAlex/status/1661415241652240384

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lmfao the team they outsourced the app to must have woken up to a thousand unread messages today.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hey, I used to make apps on teams in a very similar role and this was not an "oversight". Some dumbshit exec in some meeting made this decision. The fact that nobody put the brakes on it implies that it was high up, maybe even at the C-Suite level.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hey, I used to make apps on teams in a very similar role and this was not an "oversight". Some dumbshit exec in some meeting made this decision. The fact that nobody put the brakes on it implies that it was high up, maybe even at the C-Suite level.

https://twitter.com/oneonetwothree/status/1661432361349685248

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
https://deadline.com/2023/05/max-credits-controversy-directors-writers-guilds-1235378437/

quote:

Warner Bros. Discovery has corrected changes it made to director and writer credits in its rollout of Max after receiving harsh blowback from the Directors Guild and the Writers Guild. In a statement today, Max said: “We agree that the talent behind the content on Max deserve their work to be properly recognized. We will correct the credits, which were altered due to an oversight in the technical transition from HBO Max to Max and we apologize for this mistake.”

"Mistake"

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
It was a pilot to find a catch-all category they can lump ChatGPT into, just admit it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Yeah I figured it was him or somebody under him and he approved it. The signs are there.

Every indication here is that this guy is going to preside over the functional end of Warner Bros, wow. Just a colossal dumb rear end in a top hat.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
But reality shows still have writers, that was a huge sticking point in the 07 strike.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Welp. Later Netflix. I’m not paying for your trash service anymore if my parents can’t use my account.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Succession is over and you want more cash per month?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/SkullKidMikeK/status/1661432264004194305?t=F7nuJdhPRY4m7z0m4udJOQ&s=19

cracked me up

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
put zaslav in the phantom zone

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Why is Sisu in english? Weird.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Wtf there's a new Gremlins cartoon. Did I miss discussion of this or was it stealth dropped?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Wife and I recently started watching The Shield, never caught it on it's original run.

Holy poo poo does this show ever hold up. The writing is on point. It handles a lot of sensitive things VERY well for the early 2000s. I'd say so far it is almost rivals The Wire for me.

Does it stay good across the seasons? I'm just starting season 3 and I can't believe there were 7.

Oh man get ready for some tense scenes/episodes/seasons. Things really kick off season 3 onwards as well, so enjoy!

Only complaint is that they repeat certain scenes in the “previously on the shield” openers after some events in season 5, which is unnecessary..

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

toggle posted:

Oh man get ready for some tense scenes/episodes/seasons. Things really kick off season 3 onwards as well, so enjoy!

Only complaint is that they repeat certain scenes in the “previously on the shield” openers after some events in season 5, which is unnecessary..

Yea, even just in Season 3 I think I've seen that one cop get shot about 25 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

toggle posted:

Season 3 spoilers (I think this video was made by a goon)

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 25, 2023