Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Slavvy posted:

Historical precedent indicates the western bourgeoisie would prefer a war of annihilation first

tell that to tim cook etc. some def will, and they may even launch the nukes, but others will take the buyout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

:psyduck:

If the global times published this article verbatim people would say it was ccp propaganda to embarrass the independence movement

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Centrist Committee posted:

tell that to tim cook etc. some def will, and they may even launch the nukes, but others will take the buyout

One thing I find interesting is that some industries in the US have huge influence on the US foreign policy (oil/MIC/wall street/steel), some industries almost have no influence (IT/retail). Like if Beijing wants to proxy lobby the US foreign policy they have to spend money to bribe the big financial firms. Getting Walmart or Apple to speak for China does nothing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Are you saying Facebook and Twitter have no effect on American foreign policy

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well until Tictok gets banned in the US, I am not convinced any of the IT companies has strong influence.

Did Blinken fly to EU to pressure them not to fine google and facebook?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

While on the subject of Thai election, why do Thai people keep voting for billionaires and even worse, children of billionaires who didn't even do anything to make those dirty money, they just born into it.

As pessimistic as I am to Taiwanese politic, at least they didn't suck up to the richest guy (maybe to the detriment of the blue camp but what do I know.)

https://twitter.com/foreignpolicy/status/1661507446941073411

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Quality of living in the US has been worse than a lot of the rest of the west for decades; reality doesn't matter.

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008

Haven't the Thai military "solved" this problem dozens of times already?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crispyseaweed posted:

Yes (bot script activated) but at what cost?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

they seem to be pretty good at solving the problem

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

crispyseaweed posted:

i think the issue is that their attempt at managed democracy couldn't last more than one election. like yes they could try to round up the royalist parties and the senate and seat a minority government, use the courts to dissolve opposition parties and imprison leaders, etc, but they would be guaranteeing a huge wave of protests and unrest. which again yes they could probably quell, but "violently crushing pro democracy protests" is probably not what anyone in the military considers a good option compared to what i am sure they were hoping for before the election, pro-military and royalist parties getting enough votes to get in government and business as usual.

on the other hand move forward agreed to drop its demand to reform the lese majeste laws so maybe some kind of accommodation can be reached, pay people off, etc. guess we'll see. i suspect that even ratfucking and subverting the opposition that way is just going to lead to trouble at the next election though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I applaud the fact almost nobody talks about the US influences in Thai domestic politics. The interest just isn't there.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/05/chinese-state-hackers-infect-critical-infrastructure-throughout-the-us-and-guam/

quote:

A Chinese government hacking group has acquired a significant foothold inside critical infrastructure environments throughout the US and Guam and is stealing network credentials and sensitive data while remaining largely undetectable, Microsoft and governments from the US and four other countries said on Wednesday.

The group, tracked by Microsoft under the name Volt Typhoon, has been active for at least two years with a focus on espionage and information gathering for the People’s Republic of China, Microsoft said. To remain stealthy, the hackers use tools already installed or built into infected devices that are manually controlled by the attackers rather than being automated, a technique known as "living off the land." In addition to being revealed by Microsoft, the campaign was also documented in an advisory jointly published by:

• US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA)
• US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
• Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC)
• Canadian Centre for Cyber Security (CCCS)
• New Zealand National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC-NZ)
• United Kingdom National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC-UK)

[. . .]

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sec...and-techniques/

quote:

In this blog post, we share information on Volt Typhoon, their campaign targeting critical infrastructure providers, and their tactics for achieving and maintaining unauthorized access to target networks. Because this activity relies on valid accounts and living-off-the-land binaries (LOLBins), detecting and mitigating this attack could be challenging. Compromised accounts must be closed or changed. At the end of this blog post, we share more mitigation steps and best practices, as well as provide details on how Microsoft 365 Defender detects malicious and suspicious activity to protect organizations from such stealthy attacks. The National Security Agency (NSA) has also published a Cybersecurity Advisory [PDF] which contains a hunting guide for the tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs) discussed in this blog.

LOLBins

LMAOBins

Oglethorpe has issued a correction as of 04:42 on May 25, 2023

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

stephenthinkpad posted:

While on the subject of Thai election, why do Thai people keep voting for billionaires and even worse, children of billionaires who didn't even do anything to make those dirty money, they just born into it.

Same as it ever was.

To borrow a line from Moneyball, there's the old nobility, there's the new money, the bankers, the popstars, the farmers, the chefs, the craftsmen, the truckers, fifty feet of crap, then there's us in the slum. It's an unfair game.

The world economy is too dogshit for the Generals to have a coup in this moment. That can change in even a year but not now. The top three vote-getting parties are all still essentially pro-business liberals. The old nobility already has a large chunk of influence built into the current constitution thanks to the Judiciary and the Senate. When Thailand gets a new constitution like it does every decade, it slows down the Ministries that actually take on important duties of running a country. Flood prevention, safe electrification, down to motor bike lanes, the price of rubber and palm oil. All of these issues are sort of under the purview of politicians, but currently mostly in the hands of competent technocrats, the kind that sailed us through Covid: I believe the military government deserves some praise for handling that well, not terrible not great, we'll see.

Reform of Article 112 is quite popular in the metropole and if Royalists consider that to be a wall the size of a shipping container, they need to mete out a few more concessions: the liquor industry is one area I saw floated for example. Local greymarket yadong and laokhao moonshiners that tithe to village chiefs and police can grow into legitimate distilleries. These new distilleries, if successful in creating delicious new wines and whiskeys, can promote new methods of cooking AND more provincial tourism.

Thailand has a lot to offer both the United States and China. Modern Thailand sits on the fence. Thailand is in a spot where it can improve quality of life for their own subjects and the international community at large. I would hope everyone involved internally and externally could avoid drilling holes in the barge.

DancingShade posted:

I applaud the fact almost nobody talks about the US influences in Thai domestic politics. The interest just isn't there.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

conspiracy theory:

The news about China taking over EV car markets was knowledge way before the articles about their sales were published. "Volt"

All the major outlets reporting this mention Guam.

Guam is a major US military installation. And guess what just happened yesterday. "Typhoon"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

OhFunny posted:

China to boycott G20 meeting hosted by India in Kashmir

As the title says. China and Pakistan are boycotting the upcoming G20 meeting due to it being held in disputed terrority of Kashmir.

Follow up of this news

https://twitter.com/ZEUS_PSF/status/1660709632732528641?t=B8w1WIkoBVjGquOKkQRpkA&s=19

Modi kinda played himself, now that other countries say they are not attending the G20 meeting.

Brics countries AND Mexico

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
BRIMCS

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

And if this summit here should slide into the ocean
Like the MESTIC say, the Status Question kills
I predict this Modi will be standing
until it's time to pick his hill

UNGH

Don't the Sun look red in Chinese?
Don't Chinese have a saying in Kyrgyz?
Heavens help The Road to Türk_iye

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

i doubt the guardian's interpretation of these events.

i'm guessing that since the story got a lot coverage, it just reminded people that they were meaning to get off the donor list with the anti-mainlander minority being made to look like the majority as usual

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

SCRIMB

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

MCRIBS are back

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TDepressionEarl posted:

All of these issues are sort of under the purview of politicians, but currently mostly in the hands of competent technocrats, the kind that sailed us through Covid: I believe the military government deserves some praise for handling that well, not terrible not great, we'll see.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lol, was trying to figure out why Pakistan had so much debt and it shot up around the time the war on terror started. 👍

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

Follow up of this news

https://twitter.com/ZEUS_PSF/status/1660709632732528641?t=B8w1WIkoBVjGquOKkQRpkA&s=19

Modi kinda played himself, now that other countries say they are not attending the G20 meeting.

lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

stephenthinkpad posted:

Follow up of this news

also double lol at this

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

Follow up of this news

“Mexico”

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Are the wierd CIA funded Balochistan groups who were busy killing Chinese people doing anything during this crisis in Pakistan?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Weka posted:

"Juangroongruangkit"

juanguaidogkrit

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ughhhh posted:

Are the wierd CIA funded Balochistan groups who were busy killing Chinese people doing anything during this crisis in Pakistan?

the BLA is a marxist group lol. They are pissed because all the economic development being done in gwadar will go to a bunch of urdu/punjabi speakers living high off the hog in islamabad.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Follow up of this news

lol if you think he cares. Modi will go visit the US one more time and everyone in the country forget it. The man has several more elections coming up and a lot of BJP members that would be instrumental in him winning upcoming state elections are either staying home or leaving the party.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im reading this book review of the new maxine hong kingston collection and theres a quote in here where she says that theres a chinese word for the female i which is slave can uh anybody authenticate this because ive never heard of it before

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
奴?

But you can use it as male "I" in front of the emperor.

奴才

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
media's being aggressive on the chinese hacking stories

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/chinese-hackers-attacked-kenyan-government-debt-strains-grew-2023-05-24/

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

奴?

But you can use it as male "I" in front of the emperor.

奴才

what is the context that you would use this word for like a slave referring to themselves in the first person

is it only female in the sense that it uses 女 as a component character so it would kind of be like saying any complex character that includes 男 as a component character is a male word

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

what is the context that you would use this word for like a slave referring to themselves in the first person

is it only female in the sense that it uses 女 as a component character so it would kind of be like saying any complex character that includes 男 as a component character is a male word

奴家

wife or handy woman (what's word for this?) refer to self in front of husband, very common usage in old novels.

奴才

male subordinate refer to himself in front of higher official or emperor in Qing dynasty, pretty sure no used in other dynasty, don't quote me for it.

China don't really have slave since many dynasties ago so.

I didn't realize this character use the 女 component for both male and female until today.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 22:26 on May 25, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
A comparable example is 吗 which makes a statement a question, vs 马 which means horse.

You can reach for etymological explanations having meaning connection, but the reality is they sound similar.

That's it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Words or characters created a thousand years ago don't always have the same meaning today as they did then.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Throatwarbler posted:

Words or characters created a thousand years ago don't always have the same meaning today as they did then.

Nope, slavery still refers strictly to people who speak a Slavic language.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjrIwnffyLY

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF0JdAim6Pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011