Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Goddamn the first ten minutes or so of Tiger Cage is wild. I wonder what the record is for number of gunshots in the opening 10 minutes of a movie.

I'm watching this movie right now and it's top tier Yuen Woo Ping alright. Very much of the same flavor as the In The Line Of Duty series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lobok posted:

Either way there's action.

Lol

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Just a trivia question: does anyone remember the kind of high profile project that Ron Yuan was attached to as director? At least, I think it was Ron Yuan. I can remember no details of the project, just that it was a kind of big movie and then Yuan (I think, I'm not sure) was announced as director, surprising everyone. It either died in development hell, was a misreport or he was replaced because looking at his IMDB gives no answers

Essentially, some martial arts guy, possibly Ron Yuan but also possibly not, was named director of an upcoming project. I can't remember the name of the project, nor am I 100% sure it was Ron Yuan. If anyone can figure out what I'm talking about you may straight up be psychic.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
You might be remembering him getting the 47 Ronin sequel job?
That movie did come out last year, but I'm not sure anyone saw it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I wanted to ask why, any version, even the most recent version, of 47 Ronin would ever have a sequel.

I mean, one of the most important aspects of the story is that everyone is dead at the end. If not in combat, then dead by their own hand.

But then instead I googled it, and read

quote:

The continued story of ancient Japanese Rōnin warriors set 300 years after 47 Ronin, in a modern-day world where Samurai clans exist in complete secrecy

…and it’s apparently about the ancestors of the 47 Ronin. At this point, I was sorry I’d ever read these posts, and even more sorry I had ever seen any version of the film or read about the real story.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

poo poo news. War Zone was great fun and Ray was great in everything, it took me a while to realise he was the big bad in RRR!

https://twitter.com/LexiAlex/status/1660698258480701440?t=gBE2bCbtftL1OwNmlpF2Uw&s=19

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pet peeve but you mean descendants, not ancestors.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Olympic Mathlete posted:

poo poo news. War Zone was great fun and Ray was great in everything, it took me a while to realise he was the big bad in RRR!

https://twitter.com/LexiAlex/status/1660698258480701440?t=gBE2bCbtftL1OwNmlpF2Uw&s=19

Crazy. I was thinking about how he was in Accident Man 2 with Adkins and seemed a decades older than the latter, yet is the same age as Keanu

https://twitter.com/UpToTASK/status/1660698758953447426

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 22, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1660779381617467392?t=e7U9sF8Z4hFOi-1vNpB3Bw&s=19
:pwn:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
gently caress that would have been epic

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Wick 4 is out for home viewing

It's wild to go back through it and see how the pacing is done
few selected timestamps
:57, end of Osaka sequence
1:21, start of German fight
1:49, start of the Paris sequence.
The movie is 2:49:17 including end credits, so it's a literal hour long finale
2:00 arc de triumphe
2:08 dragonfire crane shot
2:13 stairs
2:24 sunrise

me, watching with theoretical friends midway through 8 minutes of nunchucks : honestly guys the action isn't going to really start for another 45 minutes

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 24, 2023

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Yeah I just saw it for the first time yesterday and I was amazed at how much better paced it was than the last two.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I made a few gifs. didn't embed to avoid spoilers
https://media0.giphy.com/media/v1.Y...yoCTr/giphy.gif
https://media2.giphy.com/media/v1.Y...Zs463/giphy.gif
https://media0.giphy.com/media/v1.Y...8ScDz/giphy.gif

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

"Both Grunt"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

I made a few gifs. didn't embed to avoid spoilers
https://media2.giphy.com/media/v1.Y...Zs463/giphy.gif
poo poo like this and all of keanu's "i have dementia" line deliveries are basically the only thing that kept me going through this movie and not falling asleep like the grandmas in my row, best comedy of the year

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

poo poo like this and all of keanu's "i have dementia" line deliveries are basically the only thing that kept me going through this movie and not falling asleep like the grandmas in my row, best comedy of the year

"Elaborate and insane stunts are the only thing that kept me interested in a film full of elaborate and insane stunts. Other than that I found nothing interesting, aside from the lead performance"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's not what I said, or at least meant to convey, otherwise I would have actually enjoyed the film. But yes keanu's confused and disoriented performance was a leading reason I found it tolerable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Haven't seen John Wick 4 yet but I'm definitely going to watch it at home when I'm fresh; that's a long rear end action movie regardless of other factors.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Nothing confused about Keanus performance. It’s just more silent and not marvel quips. Wick 4 rules and will be glad to own it, though waiting for some kind of Wick collection.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's full of scenes where it just feels like he's just repeating the last thing he heard and it's a lot of fun. Big Joe Biden energy.

"I'm going to kill you Mister Wick, you'll have nowhere to hide. I'll kill you."
"O-kay...well...maybe...I'll kill you..."
"You will understand the fury of the Table, Mister Wick. There will be justice whatever the dire consequences."
"...consequences..."
"You would do well to remember the power of my name. Know, as my father the fifth Marquis said: that if you do anything, do it well."
"Oh...okay...goodbye."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Keanu seems to play it as though John needs to expend a lot of effort to talk. Killing a person is easy, being one is hard.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah I've always read him being emotionally disconnected, stoic and walled off as intentional.

It's not as if they couldn't direct him to go over the top, as almost everyone else in the movies is.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
You could read it as the dehumanising effect of being drawn back into the world of violence.

I think I finally have an actual complaint about this one: not enough cool reloads. Certainly nothing as cool as the 'punch a guy with your gun and reload that gun before he's recovered from being punched by it' or the 'reload your rifle while choking a man with your legs then shooting him with the rifle' or 'stab a guy, take the magazine out of his pocket while pinning him to a wall, then shoot him with his own bullets.' Then again, there's a reload during the endless stair fight that is so quick, fluid and effortless that you're just like 'yeah, whatever, I'm fine with him having infinite bullets if he can reload that well'

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Keanu has some nice quiet scenes in this one too like the church convo with Donnie yen. really most of his interactions with yen are great.

Yeah guess they wanted to try other stuff than reloads like that in this one. Gotta rewatch this series.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Wick is also completely exhausted.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I love the fight in Osaka between John and Caine but it is kind of silly that John couldn't find one chance during the pauses in the fight to just carefully aim and get Caine with a headshot. He's constantly headshotting so many other people with ease without those fights pausing like it does with Caine. Just a minor nitpick, fight still owns

e: it would be so cool if they made Mr. Nobody's notebook into a collector's edition item for whenever they release the box set

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 25, 2023

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Queering Wheel posted:

I love the fight in Osaka between John and Caine but it is kind of silly that John couldn't find one chance during the pauses in the fight to just carefully aim and get Caine with a headshot. He's constantly headshotting so many other people with ease without those fights pausing like it does with Caine. Just a minor nitpick, fight still owns

He could have, and then he'd have the entire table on him. The way he did it, it's over.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm like 2 hours into John wick 4 and I'm actually kind of bored?

Why has the movie become a weird warriors thing to get to this duel?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because it’s cool

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I think I've rewatched the club scene a dozen times, it may be my favorite one ever. It's just so drat great to have the awesome music, awesome visuals, everyone is dancing and then there's always an extra or two just going :O and staring at the action then they remember they need to go back to dancing. There's even a few moments where people noticeably flinch. I loving love it

The little 10 second bit with some speed ramping with the dancers in the foreground and action behind, right before the Killa clothesline, is :chefskiss:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

John Wick movies are some of my favorite action movies, but I also felt kinda exhausted by this one. I think in 3 they had a lot more different types of fights while here it was just a lot of John Wick john wicking people which is great to see but the movie is really long and this is the 4th one. I really liked the nunchuk part, the fight in the stairs at the end was great and the ending was actually great. It was a big twist in John Wick's typical strategy, he didn't just outskill the baddie but completely outsmart him which was nice to see with the whole duel setup and how it ended. Scott Adkins part was great too, I feel like he was off'd way too early he could have been a great series character. Fat dude doing Taekwondo kicks was really impressive and honestly Scott Adkins acting is terrible but he was actually really really GOOD here? Usually his line delivery is super stiff and feels like he is reading lines but he was super into the character here. I am not a big Donnie Yen or IP Man fan but he stole every scene he was in, the character was awesome, his fighting was even more impressive in this movie than Ip man.

It's still like a 8 or 9/10 action movie but I hope for John Wick 5 they take more risks and experiment, that's what I liked about the first one since it's was so different from mainstream Hollywood action movies which were either full on cgi or shakycam mess. This series felt like a western take on a more eastern type of action movie with action instead of c tier story for padding. Not too complain too much but it was still good.

We still have Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning, Equalizer 3, Extraction 2 and Expendables 4 coming out this year. That's just the big stuff so really good year for action so far. I was wondering if Operation Fortune is worth checking out?

Ulio fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 29, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't want to comment on Adkins' acting chops directly but out of the movies I've seen of his he has not had a part nearly as fun as in John Wick 4. Hamming it up as a slimeball villain was refreshing to see.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Adkins is super fun in Avengement, I also can't comment on a ton of his work but he hams it up real nice

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Adkins is at his best when given a real broad role like Boyka, avengement, wick4. It's when he tries to have more nuance (undisputed 4, or being sad in savage dog, ninja 2, whatever else in forgetting with a dead woman to motivate him to go fight) that things don't work as well.

Otherwise I'd say his strongest performances are debt collector and accident man, he seems most at ease there. Stuff like seized, one shot, el gringo are just workmanlike.

Edit: I checked and have seen him in about 20 roles over the last 4 years of tracking what I watch, not counting stuff like dr strange or unleashed where hes just a mook. Seems like a lot

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 30, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Adkins is fine. He was good in the Debt Collector and Accident Man and their respective sequels.

I agree that he truly pops when he gets Bombastically British(tm) instead of Brooding British(tm).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Martman posted:

Adkins is super fun in Avengement, I also can't comment on a ton of his work but he hams it up real nice

When you’re used to Adkins generally being the handsome good guy, that snarl he gives at the beginning of Avengement is so awesome.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Avengement kicks so much rear end lol such a ridiculous movie.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Ulio posted:

John Wick movies are some of my favorite action movies, but I also felt kinda exhausted by this one.

I kinda felt the exhaustion too, but in a way that made sense to me given that John Wick is supposed to be burned out and at the end of his rope. Like, look at the Osaka sequence: Everything's really fun and cool until you get to the part where he has to fight some dudes in another led-lit art installation with a ton of glass; and just when you're feeling fatigued, here comes his old friend who he really doesn't want to fight. We're exhausted because he's exhausted.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I wish the Wick movies never came up with the bulletproof suit, that is too powerful a weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

dokmo posted:

I wish the Wick movies never came up with the bulletproof suit, that is too powerful a weapon.

I'm surprised to see you say that, since you have a lot of good posts and taste in action. I think it really opened up the choreography and made it a really distinctive type to set it apart from other movies. Without it, how are you going to have the ability for Wick to go up against the sheer number of people he does, especially when the location is an American city? 3 movies worth of "a hundred bad guys just never connect" would have been frustrating.

I also really enjoyed that Zaror had the same immunity to headshots that Wick does - he can gun down other suited henchmen, but not a recurring miniboss.

What I didnt like much were the armored guys in either 3 or 4. Tney were clunky and cumbersome and wore out their welcome quickly.

I'm actually struggling to think of a gun heavy actioner with lots of hand to hand that works well. Partly because after enough movies things just blur together, but my initial thought was the Matrix which, well, those rules are much different.