Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Aware posted:

Countercounterpoint: Luigi from WA Salvage

He is still around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
rolf harris

dead

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Good riddance to him

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

Aware posted:

Countercounterpoint: Luigi from WA Salvage

I SAVA YOU DA MONEY!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Electric Wrigglies posted:

He is still around?

It seems likely, I feel like their would have been a state funeral if he'd passed.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Aware posted:

It seems likely, I feel like their would have been a state funeral if he'd passed.

I'd be interested to know what a "not fancy, but cheap" state funeral would be like.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BrigadierSensible posted:

Counterpoint: Basil Zempilas

You know what, you're right, gently caress City of Perth. The rest is ok.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

I'd be interested to know what a "not fancy, but cheap" state funeral would be like.

Save'a'da'money!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

froglet posted:

If you watched the coronation it'd be like that.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ABC News posted:

Amid a cost-of-living crisis, meet the people turning to side hustles to make ends meet

Makeup is Alia Mohamed's passion — but it's also become her lifeline.
Key points:

Almost one million Australians have more than one job
For some people this has uncovered a hidden passion
But some experts are worried about the risk of burn out

Unable to get by on the salary she earns as a support worker, she's created a side hustle to bring in more cash. And she's not alone. She is one of almost 1 million Australians to have multiple jobs, more than ever before. Ms Mohamed has started a custom makeup business from her studio, a space she converted from a home garage. The ABC met her on the day she was working on customer Talisha Fernandes. "Today, I'm thinking of doing something starry. I think that's the vibe I'm going to go for," she said. Ms Fernandes is enthusiastic. "I like it," she replies.

Ms Mohamed's main job has been as a disability support worker, averaging about four shifts a week as a casual employee. On its own, it's not enough, and so she works evenings and weekends doing makeup for women in her community. The 24-year-old arrived in Australia with her family from Sudan when she was five years old. She said she started makeup after her Year 12 ball when she felt the makeup artist couldn't match her complexion. It's since become her driving force. "This is what I love so much," she said. "It's really contributed a lot to my life, so I've become really passionate about it." Now she would struggle without the extra income it brings.

When her car was damaged in an accident, she could not travel to her disability support client's home and her hours in that job were cut. "I didn't realise how unstable and insecure you are with a job like that," she said. "I just realised how vulnerable I was because I wasn't able to work and if I didn't have my makeup job, I'd have nothing." And with the overall cost of living continuing to rise, Ms Mohamed says she would struggle without the extra income stream from her makeup business. "I can't even imagine. I wouldn't be able to survive," she said. It's created extra pressure to push her business forward and cover the salary she's losing after losing hours from her support worker job. "So I can make that [makeup] my main job," she said. "Because that way ... I'm the one who's in control."

A total of 6.6 per cent of the Australian population, or 925,000 people, had multiple jobs according to figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics as part of the labour account data for the December 2022 quarter. A day after the Reserve Bank controversially raised interest rates, new data shows living costs are at an all-time high and businesses are contracting. That's an increase of 68,000 people over the year and the highest number recorded by the ABS. The highest number of secondary jobs recorded by the ABS were in administrative and support services, education and training, and health care and social assistance. The increase was also reflected in demands on welfare groups and community organisations helping those struggling to keep their heads above water due to insecure work and higher prices. "We're hearing that more and more through our food and emergency relief providers," Western Australian Council of Social Service chief executive Louise Giolitto said. "People are going to extreme measures and taking second and third jobs because their wages aren't enough. "That puts their health at risk, their mental health at risk, less time with their families."

Some welfare groups, such as the Salvation Army, post advice on second jobs, reassuring people there is no tax penalty for having two jobs for low or middle income earners. One of the big four banks also posts information on second jobs, potentially for customers who are having difficulty with their mortgage repayments. It includes a list of the top 10 side hustle jobs to consider, including video editing, dog sitting, selling crafts, putting your handyman skills to good use, and helping people organise and clean their homes for a fee.

For two pilots grounded during the COVID-19 pandemic, the road led to chocolate. "At its purest form, chocolate is just these cocoa nibs, mixed with sugar," Brett Holmes said as he mixed the two ingredients together. He and his friend Brad Laver thought of the one thing everyone likes. "Like all good ideas, you kind of come up with it over a beer or two," he said. "We both had a lot of free time to fill in. We figured as a side job needs to have a bit of fun to it. So we thought chocolates. Everyone likes chocolate. "People like to eat chocolate, talk about chocolate. We thought we'd give it a go. "We just watched some YouTube videos and gave it a go made some terrible chocolate, tried again, made some great chocolate." Now the pair sell their chocolate to local cafes and shops as a side business when they are not flying passengers around the country or the world.

In what can be an unstable industry, perhaps surprisingly they're not the only pilots to have a side job. "The GFC was terrible, 9/11 was terrible for pilots. So a lot of guys do have side jobs as a bit of an insurance policy," Mr Holmes said. "There's a friend of a friend, he's a wedding celebrant because his theory was people are always getting married, so if piloting has a downturn he can do that on the side." While their chocolate business has taken off, it's not earning enough to replace their main gig and so, for now, they are just enjoying the sweet ride.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-21/side-hustles-to-help-cost-of-living-crisis-/102323588

In spite of the rosy face the ABC puts on this, this is pretty grim. Ah everyone following their passion to survive because their lives and incomes are so unstable and at the whims of capital!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I have had to sell my body to make money

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
In more hilarious news:

Guardian AU posted:

Australian jobseekers told to use ChatGPT to apply for jobs and shown irrelevant videos
Exclusive: A taxpayer-funded online employability course that included videos on body language contained ‘not curriculum-endorsed materials’

Under contracts signed by the Coalition last year, the federal government will pay private providers about $500m over five years to run Employability Skills Training (EST) courses as part of the commonwealth’s $7bn Workforce Australia program. On its website, the department says the program offers “practical support” and “helps you become job-ready by providing intensive pre-employment training”.

But Arthur, a 26-year-old honours graduate who was compelled to do the training to keep receiving jobseeker payments, said much of the course he completed consisted of watching YouTube videos. These included a motivational montage created from a YouTube channel called “Law of Attraction Coaching”, as well as videos about safety protocols at a Dutch gas company and the application guidelines for a Victorian government tender. In another session, the instructor encouraged jobseekers to use ChatGPT to write cover letters and research industries.

These included a Ted Talk called “Drawing your dreams into reality”, which advocated creating “vision boards” for success, and a video titled “Make Body Language Your Superpower” in which Stanford students gave tips on the topic. The jobseekers were also shown a motivational video from a YouTube channel called “Law of Attraction Coaching”, which appears to promote the pseudoscience beliefs of the same name. The video did not make reference to the “Law of Attraction” and simply included a montage of motivational speeches and quotations.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/may/23/jobseekers-told-use-chatgpt-write-resumes-and-study-laws-attraction

Phew, imagine how hard jobseekers would have it in the current economy without their vision boards!

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
To be fair doing pointless visioning exercises, watching random nonsense videos on YouTube and using chatGPT to produce content at speed sounds ideal preparation for jobs in the modern knowledge workforce. Especially for government policy roles.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

hooman posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-21/side-hustles-to-help-cost-of-living-crisis-/102323588

In spite of the rosy face the ABC puts on this, this is pretty grim. Ah everyone following their passion to survive because their lives and incomes are so unstable and at the whims of capital!

In the last 6 months my second job has gone from something I do to make some extra cash, which I could happily walk away from and eventually planned to, to something that I need to do if I actually want to accumulate savings instead of merely treading water. Not looking forward to assessing what it means to me in another 6 months!

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
You guys are accumulating savings?!?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
LMAO.

https://twitter.com/DavidShoebridge/status/1661535457451335681

Almost like we need some social contract to operate a business in this country, and if you break it, you get loving nationalised.

EDIT: Double LMAO.

Guardian AU posted:

The former Australian government continued to pay millions of taxpayer dollars to a businessman convicted of corruption to provide offshore processing services on Nauru, even after he had pleaded guilty to bribing Nauruan government officials.

Almost like we need some kind of laws for politicians in this country, and if you break it, you go to jail.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 25, 2023

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

hooman posted:

Almost like we need some social contract to operate a business in this country, and if you break it, you get loving nationalised.

:hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

What about lawyers who leave government, then go on to represent a client suing the government, the lawyer having learned privileged information about the case while they were in government? Surely that's OK right and wouldn't need the senate to get involved?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
This whole time i thought PwC was a government office or something, it's loving pricewaterhousecoopers

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yet if a low-level union office bearer forgets to include something on a register of interests, misses a second signature on an expense form or doesn't re-sit financial governance training after being elected to a different office, the RoC can deregister the entire union.

Def got our priorities in order on the governance front folks.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

stay classy, Prue

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Straw poll which is about our east-coast-centric media: how many people here, barring those in WA, heard that there was a school shooting in Perth yesterday? (Zero casualties, but still shots fired)

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

It was all over ABC news, but I do leave that open while working, plus also a Perthite. Two kids, two rifles, firing into the school.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, it made the national news, at least on the abc.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah I heard about it on Triple J

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hmmm OK I guess I pay less attention to the news than I used to.

Anyway I saw the bodycam footage on Twitter and found it really disconcerting to see the sort of imagery I associate with America (cops running through a locked down school) with what's not just Australia, but Perth

https://twitter.com/9NewsPerth/status/1661586961029812224

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I had not heard about it, though I guess I was at work all day and then just kinda stopped existing for the night

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I read the guardian and the Brisbane times, and I heard about it. I don’t watch or listen to news on TV or radio.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Yay, WA going to give Toryism a whirl.

:suicide:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

SecretOfSteel posted:

Yay, WA going to give Toryism a whirl.

:suicide:

If you read the article he doesn't say that. Kind of a lovely headline from a lovely "paper"

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Konomex posted:

If you read the article he doesn't say that. Kind of a lovely headline from a lovely "paper"

subscriber honeypot trap sprung

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

subscriber honeypot trap sprung

archive.is

Edit: For anyone not Perth, the demolition of Brownlie towers was unambiguously a good thing, concentrated poverty housing is a terrible idea and that place constantly had people coming in and out for corpses. However, I don't think that's a defence at all for the number of social housing units falling, because yes you needed to get rid of that, but you also needed to at the same time produce places for the people displaced by that change to live.

The West is a poo poo paper and you should never trust the reporting but it's also a pretty poo poo defence of lower public housing units by McGowan.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 26, 2023

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

hooman posted:

archive.is

Edit: For anyone not Perth, the demolition of Brownlie towers was unambiguously a good thing, concentrated poverty housing is a terrible idea and that place constantly had people coming in and out for corpses. However, I don't think that's a defence at all for the number of social housing units falling, because yes you needed to get rid of that, but you also needed to at the same time produce places for the people displaced by that change to live.

The West is a poo poo paper and you should never trust the reporting but it's also a pretty poo poo defence of lower public housing units by McGowan.

That's somewhat of a relief. I guess I'll return Labor back to their "poo poo, but not as poo poo as the LNP" status.

Man, lucky I wasn't watching A Current Affair if I'm going to bite that easy... :yayclod:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

SecretOfSteel posted:

That's somewhat of a relief. I guess I'll return Labor back to their "poo poo, but not as poo poo as the LNP" status.

Man, lucky I wasn't watching A Current Affair if I'm going to bite that easy... :yayclod:

Oh Lord, I shouldn't have looked and now I do want a bite...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

hooman posted:

archive.is

I'm not going to read the West, was the lower social housing only as compared to just before the estate housing was demolished? Or is it an overall longer term decline without replacement? I have no doubt the West would happily not report if the govt had recently increased social housing in anticipation of the demolishment but just don't know.

In any event, concentrated social housing is fraught with risk and WA used to be good in social housing front by insisting that every development, no matter how fancy or expensive, would have an allocation for social housing. Specifically to avoid "white flight" and concentrated poverty.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

SecretOfSteel posted:

Oh Lord, I shouldn't have looked and now I do want a bite...

:allears:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
There has been an observable drop in social housing in WA. Social housing availability was an issue long before the current general housing availability crisis in WA but the rise in homelessness was basically the signature criticism of his govt for their first 2 years in office.

I live in a low SES suburb, and moved in just after McGowan was elected for the first time. Within 6 months, 3 homeswest places within 50m of my place were put on the market and sold to private buyers. Even if that was part of an effort to spread social housing out and away from areas of entrenched intergenerational property, a 4 bedroom house in my suburb costs half what it would cost in a more "gentrified" area, so the economics of it dictate a hit to supply.

Of course, now we have a cost of living crisis and a general housing availability crisis on top of that, so you can imagine it's a shitshow.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I'm not going to read the West, was the lower social housing only as compared to just before the estate housing was demolished? Or is it an overall longer term decline without replacement? I have no doubt the West would happily not report if the govt had recently increased social housing in anticipation of the demolishment but just don't know.

In any event, concentrated social housing is fraught with risk and WA used to be good in social housing front by insisting that every development, no matter how fancy or expensive, would have an allocation for social housing. Specifically to avoid "white flight" and concentrated poverty.
the article doesn't get into that, just has mcgowan justifying selling off/demolishing public housing that he called "ghettos" early in his government in response to criticism.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national...501-p5d4n4.html

other reporting suggests that yes, there is an issue of longer term decline without replacement because despite investments in social housing it hasn't been enough even to replace what's been sold off/demolished yet, and the waitlist has blown out as a result

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A silly little thing.

https://twitter.com/reardon_shaun/status/1661262453395832839

A LNP Senator condescendingly asking a department secretary why he isn't wearing a tie, and once wore a T-Shirt in Queensland.

Really clamping down on the important issues of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Without seeing the full context, would not be surprised if What People Should Be Wearing is the first hint of a dog whistle that eventually segued into some trans culture war poo poo