Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I know it won't be but I'd mark out if a $$$ budget action movie just had a single moment like the way this person being kicked across a room is conveyed in the film Death Powder at 24m48s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB19B4sJf5s

Lol that's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

FilthyImp posted:

A Wrinkle in Time was not well received but the costuming was on point.

Was she going to take the classic operatic Kirby track or do the Nix Uotan schizo homeless commune thing?

I would really hope that it would be Kirby's space opera with a little of Snyder's alien take dashed into it. However, I just want to see more Boom Tubes and crazy machines.

Every one of these screams to be adapted for the big screen.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Neo Rasa posted:

I know it won't be but I'd mark out if a $$$ budget action movie just had a single moment like the way this person being kicked across a room is conveyed in the film Death Powder at 24m48s

Ang Lee's Hulk is probably the closest you're gonna get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahr0Kp54B_U&t=165s

man, i love cinema.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Armaghetto is just great.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's going to be a literal slideshow with "Spanish Flea" playing and Barry saying "oooh, that one looks fun" over the top.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Armaghetto is just great.

Darkseid is just living his best life, having a bunch of Lowlies roll out a carpet for him as he surveys his domain.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol that's amazing

lmao

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Darkseid can kill people by looking at them and wishing they were dead. Why does he need gloves?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halloween Jack posted:

Darkseid can kill people by looking at them and wishing they were dead. Why does he need gloves?

Variety is the spice of anti-life

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Halloween Jack posted:

Fashion.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

Fashion.

Also it's his goon squad and they're coming to town.

beep beep

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neo Rasa posted:

Someone with computer, edit this so that it’s Jor-El kicking Zod into the phantom zone

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Someone with computer, edit this so that it’s Jor-El kicking Zod into the phantom zone

lol, YES

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

This might be kind of a deep cut and just coincidence, but I was looking at Man of Steel video essays on YouTube to pass time, and stumbled on one talking about Zod. I found this page of Kirby's drawings of Orion:

And the design of Orion's true face, how he resembles Darkseid, is pretty similar to Zod's MoS appearance:

I don't know if it's intentional, but I thought that was pretty cool. Orion is the Dog of War, and Zod was engineered to be Krypton's greatest warrior.

(Here is the video if you're interested in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqvEGwuyKkM, it talks about the depth of Zod as a villain and how MoS weaves elements of environmentalism and cultural diaspora into the story)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

His greatest weakness is music, he's an uptight weirdo and probably afraid of touching stuff

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He already wears regular gloves

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

He's doing his good friend Desaad a solid. Everyone is going to want a pair of Killing Gloves once they see Darkseid wearing them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Updated the bottom of the OP with relevant content.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The flash trailer really seemed like they were aping the snyder films which is funny and made me more interested than not at all

His upcoming movies look lame though, that last zombie film was terrrrrible

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

The flash trailer really seemed like they were aping the snyder films which is funny and made me more interested than not at all

His upcoming movies look lame though, that last zombie film was terrrrrible

His upcoming movie is the sci fi one, Rebel Moon.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I want a drat trailer

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Army of the Dead is good.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHud3dStWMk

Cool little Michael Shannon career breakdown here

Spoiler alert - he loves Zack Snyder, respects him immensely, and totally got what he was doing with Man of Steel

He's also apparently in the new Flash movie, and you can really tell he doesn't give a poo poo about it and is just doing it for the money. He also went to ask for Zack's explicit permission before saying yes too, what a mensch

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pirate Jet posted:

Army of the Dead is good.

Army Of The Dead is drat good. Perhaps the only thing holding it back is Snyder’s fame; having it released by anyone else would be an absolute shock.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

Spoiler alert - he loves Zack Snyder, respects him immensely, and totally got what he was doing with Man of Steel

He's also apparently in the new Flash movie, and you can really tell he doesn't give a poo poo about it and is just doing it for the money. He also went to ask for Zack's explicit permission before saying yes too, what a mensch

Aside from Shannon being excellent, Man of Steel is the major reason Shannon isn't just a bit player/character actor.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Name Change posted:

Aside from Shannon being excellent, Man of Steel is the major reason Shannon isn't just a bit player/character actor.

Snyder's casting seemed a little left-field during his reign, but he got it all correct. Shannon was of course perfect, and the prescient Zuckerberg/Luthor conflation was simply - and widlly misunderstood a the time - genius.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gal Gadot is the only one that's soured over time, but I don't blame him for choosing her. In general he's one of the best at having an individual eye for casting and clearly building up a personal rapport with people.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

She certainly looks the part, and I think the accent helps. She's OK enough in his movies and WW. That said, I didn't see WW84.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

Shannon is a good dude

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Michael Shannon is the best. I loved one time when an interview veered into talking about Trump and they asked something like "would you like to play that guy, explore his inner suffering, imagine what he's thinking when he's lying in bed at night" and Shannon said "he has no inner suffering, he's having a wonderful time, when he's in bed he's probably thinking he wants a cheeseburger"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

2house2fly posted:

Michael Shannon is the best. I loved one time when an interview veered into talking about Trump and they asked something like "would you like to play that guy, explore his inner suffering, imagine what he's thinking when he's lying in bed at night" and Shannon said "he has no inner suffering, he's having a wonderful time, when he's in bed he's probably thinking he wants a cheeseburger"

Shannon is a legend

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Was this the same interview where he was like "if your parents are MAGA they need to just go run the car in the garage" or whatever? Nobody's doing it like him, lol.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He's helped move quite a few people from 'hey it's that guy' to 'oh, rad, *name* is in this movie.' Oscar Isaac, Patrick Wilson, Jackie Earle Hailey, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Gerard Butler, Michael Fassbender...probably some others I'm forgetting about.

Martman posted:

Gal Gadot is the only one that's soured over time, but I don't blame him for choosing her. In general he's one of the best at having an individual eye for casting and clearly building up a personal rapport with people.

She works well in his movies because he relies on her more as a physical actor, which she is good at. She's in a comparable bracket to Arnie: couldn't do a monologue, struggles with dialogue, but moves and stands very well on camera. Arnie obviously has much better comedic timing, but he also had to learn that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TBH I don't really get why people hate Gal Gadot.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

well why not posted:

Snyder's casting seemed a little left-field during his reign, but he got it all correct. Shannon was of course perfect, and the prescient Zuckerberg/Luthor conflation was simply - and widlly misunderstood a the time - genius.
Zack said that he was originally planning for Jessie to play Jimmy Olsen. However, after he interviewed him with Debbie, she suggested him for the role of Lex on the drive back to their office.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Snowman_McK posted:

He's helped move quite a few people from 'hey it's that guy' to 'oh, rad, *name* is in this movie.' Oscar Isaac, Patrick Wilson, Jackie Earle Hailey, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Gerard Butler, Michael Fassbender...probably some others I'm forgetting about.

She works well in his movies because he relies on her more as a physical actor, which she is good at. She's in a comparable bracket to Arnie: couldn't do a monologue, struggles with dialogue, but moves and stands very well on camera. Arnie obviously has much better comedic timing, but he also had to learn that.

arnie did the conan the barbarian. Battle of the mounds is an alltimer.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

2house2fly posted:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Was this the same interview where he was like "if your parents are MAGA they need to just go run the car in the garage" or whatever? Nobody's doing it like him, lol.

hahaha gently caress he was already one of my favourite contemporary actors, but this is just amazing

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

well why not posted:

Social Network came out in 2010 and Jesse Eisenberg playing unloved loser except edgier was not powerful visionary casting (Zombieland, American Ultra).

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Name Change posted:

Social Network came out in 2010 and Jesse Eisenberg playing unloved loser except edgier was not powerful visionary casting (Zombieland, American Ultra).

It was a smart choice to replace Luthor's traditional tycoon/magnate with a silicon valley type, and doubly so to get the exact simulacrum of Zuckerberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Name Change posted:

Yeah, the genius move was to take Eisenberg and put him in the Luthor role, not to invent that kind of image for Eisenberg. Many people at the time thought Snyder intended (and failed, naturally) to ape the Joker.