Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

rideANDxORdie posted:

Just out of curiosity, which factions do you all think have bad economies?

High elfs have a pretty not-great economy and fairly expensive troops, but they're so good at securing trade deals it's nbd. The chaos factions aren't great on the economy front but they're really not supposed to be building up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

rideANDxORdie posted:

Comedy option: Dark Elves, because they've had so many different ones that CA worked themselves into making the shittiest one yet so they could give chorfs half of one of the better versions

and because interacting with it keeps me from fully enjoying a rakarth playthrough

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

rideANDxORdie posted:

Kislev, Norsca, VCoast

The latter two rely on fighting/sacking; the former just has the shittiest economy buildings in the game.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

rideANDxORdie posted:

Growth is part and parcel of economy. So is public order. If you want to say Dwarf economy is good at turn 75, okay. Everyone's is. Dwarfs notoriously have one of the worst early game economies specifically because of their glacial growth and public order malus from grudges.

You can make anything work in campaign, yes. Believe it or not, I've actually completed a campaign as Ungrim on VH/VH (and as every Dwarf LL) so it's not like I didn't know you can make a slayer doomstack as him

It's statements like "upkeep isn't that big of a deal" that make me feel like I'm on crazy pills. Did you know you can see your total cumulative expenditures on the Faction Summary screen? Outside of Tomb Kings, I've never seen unit upkeep not be the #1 expenditure for any campaign for any faction.

Dwarfs have one the slowest starting economies in the game. It will take them longer to field multiple armies and fill them with good units than pretty much every other race in the game. Doubly so because of Dwarfs having terrible recruitment slots as well. Ungrim as a faction leader or lord doesn't do anything to address this. He also starts in a two-region province with a building that only gives +4 control and no other benefit.

If your point is that you can fill his army with slayers and auto resolve, I can do the same thing with Thorek and quarrelers for 1/4 the price. Or do it as Helman Ghorst with zombies and have four armies ABC'ing before I'd even have a second half stack as Dwarfs

I think we're talking past each other at this point. I'm not saying picking Ungrim means you'll lose the campaign. I'm pretty sure most people here are at the level of play they can win any campaign as any faction. Personally, I find mono unit doomstacks (especially melee infantry ones) dreary to play. At least Ghorst gets access to vampire magic and some of the other VCounts toys

Like, the direction of your points are vaguely true, but the hyperbole you're throwing down here to "win" this argument is big time lols. All of your points besides dwarf starting economy being slow are just flatly untrue. Ungrim gets slayers at 169 upkeep vs quarrelers at 138. Full stack of ungrim slayers are 3511 vs a full throek stack of quarrelers at 2872. Its 18% cheaper, not 75%. And that's without any skill points or gear, Ungrim will get -5% from his quest gear, and if you go blue line you can get that -8% on top (tbf, every dwarf can grab the blue line one). Additionally, grudges aren't a problem anymore, they fixed the initially issues they had at 3.0 launch. Which, isn't even really an issue for Ungrim because more grudgin' means more Slayers, making him capable of replenishing his stack anywhere if he actually manages to lose units.

Is Thorek on the net a better LL capable of better doomstacks? Ya, he's one of the most busted lords in the game leveled up. But you're making it seem like Ungrim and his slayer stack are not only inferior, but flatly bad. And that's just wrong, Ungrim can clean fuckin' house. I encourage you to give it a whirl again while putting yourself into the slayertide mindset for him to go out and seek death. Go rip and tear through the Chaos Dwarves, or end the Vampire Wars before they can start as your backup stacks clean up the mountains. Ungrim's stack can bring in so much money with a combination of ABC and selling to your friends that you don't really need to worry about money until your economy kicks online around turn 30-35 for him (you should have the gold resources in Gunbad + Karak Ungor, and if you went straight for Vlad's throat, that as well, which combined with tools don't need to be that high a tier to really be bringing in the money).

Ungrim owns, but you shouldn't play him as a dwarf who happens to have some slayers. He's the slayer king. Get slaying.

TaintedBalance fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 25, 2023

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm reading the Warhammer Wiki page on the End Times and it's crazy that the article is dozens of pages long but only a summary.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
and it itself was rushed and not fully fleshed out. only 5 books, see?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Heres what you need to know:

- Mannfred is a loving loser
- Grimgor is Da Best
- Lol Chaos wins

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm reading the Warhammer Wiki page on the End Times and it's crazy that the article is dozens of pages long but only a summary.

Post whatever it is that makes you roll your eyes and give up, I forget what it was for me but there's some reeeeeeeaaaaal dumb poo poo in there

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Kislev, Norsca, VCoast

The latter two rely on fighting/sacking; the former just has the shittiest economy buildings in the game.

Kislev's economy is truly dire to the point where it really needs some kind of rework, IMO.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

jokes posted:

High elfs have a pretty not-great economy and fairly expensive troops, but they're so good at securing trade deals it's nbd. The chaos factions aren't great on the economy front but they're really not supposed to be building up.

As soon as you can hit 100 PO in your provinces, HE's economy goes crazy. It's just not great til then.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Kanos posted:

Kislev's economy is truly dire to the point where it really needs some kind of rework, IMO.

It's not great but you can fund what you need, just don't make every stack a doomstack. The ability they have that makes all their low tier troops basically unbreakable is really strong.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

rideANDxORdie posted:

LOL okay, I'm not sure if we're even playing the same game at this point. If you guys want to play Ungrim, do it

You are pretty much coming across as the Arghy of Ungrim rn. Slayertiding is piss easy and comically effective.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

It's not great but you can fund what you need, just don't make every stack a doomstack. The ability they have that makes all their low tier troops basically unbreakable is really strong.

Yeah but having one good stack and a bunch of kossar spam stacks is extremely boring and sucks. Not everyone needs infinite money but pinching pennies to the degree Kislev has to leads to an extremely boring midgame.

Almost all of the other "bad economy" factions can eventually solve their bad economy by cracking open enemy cities like piggy banks, but Kislev's sack bonuses kind of aren't there.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got a Ku'gath VH/N campaign, which means I've gotten all the campaign achievements for every race in game 3! I just need the multiplayer ones and two more platinum medals in Mirror of Madness, and I'll have everything! I did RoC on all of these because I'm weird. Do short IE campaign objectives count? Do the Champions of Chaos count for their respective gods?

Nurgle armies are more anvil than hammer, but what is the best hammer? I mostly had armies of Nurglings and Plaguebearers, supplemented by Plague Drones, Great Unclean Ones, and Soul Grinders when I could, plus some early Plague Toads. I didn't try most of the mortal units from the CoC DLC. Money was tight so upgrades were rare. I'm not sure what Nurgle has that's meant to counter big entities like Terracotta Sentinels, Kislev War Bears, and Soul Grinders, but attrition worked often enough. The plague symptom that gives you vanguard deployment was a good substitute for having units fast enough to close in on enemy archers. I made friends with the Chorfs and got enough allegience points for a couple Dreadquake Mortar trains, which may have not been the wisest investment, but were cool to have. Those, and spamming bound Blight Boils from my GuOs made for some pretty nasty openers. I got some anti-large bull centaurs for the final battle.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Kanos posted:

Yeah but having one good stack and a bunch of kossar spam stacks is extremely boring and sucks. Not everyone needs infinite money but pinching pennies to the degree Kislev has to leads to an extremely boring midgame.

Almost all of the other "bad economy" factions can eventually solve their bad economy by cracking open enemy cities like piggy banks, but Kislev's sack bonuses kind of aren't there.

In realms of chaos at least a lovely kossar stack can own anything the nurgles to the north of you will send so if you can get one up there to sack them you'll be rolling in money. I haven't played kislev in immortal empires.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Also I haven't posted in the Deus Ex thread for years and this is the only games thread I've been posting in lately so if someone here gave me this cool new custom title I appreciate it, it's great!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
For your co-op game the correct answer is empire (franz) and empire (gelt)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am a fan of new arghy

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I got a Ku'gath VH/N campaign, which means I've gotten all the campaign achievements for every race in game 3! I just need the multiplayer ones and two more platinum medals in Mirror of Madness, and I'll have everything! I did RoC on all of these because I'm weird. Do short IE campaign objectives count? Do the Champions of Chaos count for their respective gods?

Nurgle armies are more anvil than hammer, but what is the best hammer? I mostly had armies of Nurglings and Plaguebearers, supplemented by Plague Drones, Great Unclean Ones, and Soul Grinders when I could, plus some early Plague Toads. I didn't try most of the mortal units from the CoC DLC. Money was tight so upgrades were rare. I'm not sure what Nurgle has that's meant to counter big entities like Terracotta Sentinels, Kislev War Bears, and Soul Grinders, but attrition worked often enough. The plague symptom that gives you vanguard deployment was a good substitute for having units fast enough to close in on enemy archers. I made friends with the Chorfs and got enough allegience points for a couple Dreadquake Mortar trains, which may have not been the wisest investment, but were cool to have. Those, and spamming bound Blight Boils from my GuOs made for some pretty nasty openers. I got some anti-large bull centaurs for the final battle.

Nurgle relies heavily on heroes for anti large duty either through the direct damage spell, or the exalted hero on horse did great work for me. Don't sleep on exalted bearers and drones ranged attack either. They will melt large single entities (including Ku'Gath often).

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Communist Thoughts posted:

gonna play some coop with a friend tomorrow, anyone got any ideas for a fun faction to team up with kislev in IE?

Oxyotl

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rideANDxORdie posted:

Kislev, who cannot afford anything but t1 unit spam until late, and that's off the back of using LL cost reduction for their high-tier units. They also have 3 excellent cities who all produce great income, but any expansion is hampered because their other province income is quite poor, with very poor returns on investment and high upfront costs. They do have %based bonuses factionwide on resource buildings so can eventually get alright, and later game can run some decent stacks using -30% sled heroes to bring down that cost, so they do have some mitigating factors. They also don't have any raid/sack money. It's a drat good thing for them how effective base kossar spam is against the AI.

HE have a weird thing with public order where their economy isn't good (not terrible either though) until they can regularly hit 100 PO, and then income, like, doubles. Which is fine, you mostly play the PO building tax, but it does slow you early.

Norsca and VCoast get a small shout out as having poor economies who get by anyway on sacking bonuses.

I also remember Nurgle's economy being pretty poor but it's been ages and I only played Kugath in RoC.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Bad economies hmm-Nurgle.

Some armies make it really obnoxious to hold territory. Kislev is famously hard, Norsca got a bit better but they still should just ignore it entirely and sack to stay out of red, VCoast can make a land empire but it's vastly easier to roam as a Doomstack. Wood Elves. Tomb Kings have an early challenge of taking as much land as possible for road spam but being army limited on actually holding it.

Dwarves don't have it as easy as say, Dark Elves, where you can set up 5 digit mega sacks, but you have traditionally defensive territory with traditionally defensive armies where you can post battle raise the income and growth of the defending province. You almost always get rapid gold mine access.

I'd say Dwarves are middle of the road. They don't have super easy set ups like Beastmen or super powerful district building like a Bretonnian economy but nothing really holds them back other than growth for raw slot numbers.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Kislev is interesting because their economy sucks, so you have a lot of kossar stacks that get mulched sem-regularly that you use to plug holes till your actual good army or two arrives.

Makes for an interesting, different feeling campaign to say empire or Cathay.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nurgle's baseline economy is one of the worst in the game, but they have one of the best sack economies in the game, so I'd honestly put them in the upper echelons. The very, very early game is horrid but once you get the right plagues going you pretty much stop caring about money because kicking over a single province capital lets you build a couple of your insanely overpriced 5 digit cost buildings and still have change left over to keep you going until you kick over the next one.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 25, 2023

Goodfeila
Apr 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkkVb7um_lk

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
patch notes are here: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tww3-update-310/

Grail Relique:
To reflect this, the Icon of Devotion ability now buffs melee attack and has had it’s overall leadership buff reduced slightly.

hell yeah Brettonia updates

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 25, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
RoRs rule. Boglars!!!

drat Greasus got a real nice QoL update and can ruin a huge gap in the front when he finally reaches it. AoE debuff hex! That's it though.

Chorf balance patch has hit. Hah, they actually halved Astragoth's mass. I wonder if anything can know down 2500 mass? Will be T Pose? The melee/artillery demon trains are worth trying again now, they fixed their attacks.

Bone Giant accuracy buff. :eyepop:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Just wanna chime in and say I was right about the shootyness of blunderbussy. No nerfs whatsoever to how they shoot, though they did lose charge defence. So they will be a bit more vulnerable to cavalry, but will otherwise shoot exactly as they did before.

Working as intended.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hell yeah the chorffy blunderbussy still goin strong

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Magma cannons might have gotten nerfed into the ground though, if I'm reading the stats correctly. They doubled the calibration area, which I think is how random the shots can be. So they are shorter ranged and will be off target more often.

Edit:

OH gently caress Delves got the Chorf rush construction mechanic.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 25, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Alctel posted:

Kislev is interesting because their economy sucks, so you have a lot of kossar stacks that get mulched sem-regularly that you use to plug holes till your actual good army or two arrives.

Makes for an interesting, different feeling campaign to say empire or Cathay.

This is true, though I wish there was a way for more early unit variety that keeps the current campaign experience. Having a poor economy does not necessarily mean they aren't a fun campaign!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Impermanent posted:

hell yeah the chorffy blunderbussy still goin strong

The blunderbussy stands above all others

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nerfing The Dead Rise multiple ways and giving WoC a legendary hero who strips the "Undead" tag from nearby undead. Feels good to hate fighting vampires today folks

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I don't mind fighting vamps until Vlad is the only model left and wipes like five regiments single-handedly

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Thank god for that The Dead Rise nerf, it was absurd and made me avoid playing in areas where there were VC LLs due to how annoying it made being sieged.

Dramicus posted:

Just wanna chime in and say I was right about the shootyness of blunderbussy. No nerfs whatsoever to how they shoot, though they did lose charge defence. So they will be a bit more vulnerable to cavalry, but will otherwise shoot exactly as they did before.

Working as intended.

Yeah I'm fine with this due to all the other outliers getting brought back down to more reasonable levels. Chorfs had both the strongest long range (Magma Cannons) AND short range shooting in the game. Blunderbusses are now more vulnerable to cavalry and bull renders aren't as oppressive; their broken spells were made more reasonable, the K'daai, Iron Daemons and Deathshriekers are much, much better now and both Astragoth and their ability to stack fire vulnerability are a bit more reasnable too.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

If you're aggressive enough on the strategic level Chorfs can be pretty big pushovers too. AI seems to cluster the actual dwarf units in one doomstack, so once you destroy that, all they've got left between you and their cities are the completely feckless swarms of slave chaff

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ninjahedgehog posted:

If you're aggressive enough on the strategic level Chorfs can be pretty big pushovers too. AI seems to cluster the actual dwarf units in one doomstack, so once you destroy that, all they've got left between you and their cities are the completely feckless swarms of slave chaff
The Chorf AI doesnt play with unit caps :ssh:

At least thats what I think I read somewhere; the Chorf AI definitely doesnt manage a laborer economy or any of their other resources

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The Chorf AI doesnt play with unit caps :ssh:

They also don't play with labour or arms or any of the special stuff.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I watched the stream and the new legendary hero is a khorne guy harry the hammer. Presented with a fun video with some vamps in it, I'm sure they'll drop it on their channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Twigand Berries posted:

I watched the stream and the new legendary hero is a khorne guy harry the hammer. Presented with a fun video with some vamps in it, I'm sure they'll drop it on their channel.

He has an aura that removes the "Undead" trait from undead units. So they run away from him. John Warhammer gives no fucks.