Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Councils in England must really hate trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Palm trees might make you think of Foreign Parts and die

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

keep punching joe posted:

A homeless person might be able to use them for shade, for free. Unacceptable

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like they were having sex with the Hoe palm trees.

I've heard of tree law, but tree-loving law is new to me.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Pistol_Pete posted:

The Telegraph are trying to make 'Woke Blob' a thing and I am so stoked for it:

British press: Our only hope is a guy who tortured people in Guantanamo Bay.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We already tried book bannings, Section 28, and public indecency patrols in the 80s. They were all poo poo and nothing to do with "left-wing institutional capture" then or now.

What's the plan for dealing with right-wing institutional capture by Tufton street, the Heritage foundation, Hands Across the Aisle, ASI, etc?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Undead Hippo posted:

It's not an online term being co-opted by the right. The origin of widespread political use is Michael Gove from his time in the education department pushing through incredibly poorly thought through and unpopular reforms. Which were, in Gove's reckoning, only unpopular because of the "Blob".

Yes. It is literally a reference by Gove to the 1958 horror film “the blob”. That’s how insane and dumb and stupid it is as a trope.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Imagine looking at the united kingdom and thinking it is on the brink of woke takeover. How the gently caress

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Yes. It is literally a reference by Gove to the 1958 horror film “the blob”. That’s how insane and dumb and stupid it is as a trope.

????

Hasn't "The Blob" been used to characterise political groupthink in Washington for the last...30 years?

E: after some googling, this seems to get attributed to Ben Rhodes from 2016, clearly a Mandela Effect for me because it feels way older but eh

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 25, 2023

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like they were having sex with the Hoe palm trees.

In a tragic misunderstanding of the euphemism Rosy Palm and her 5 sisters...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Angepain posted:

Imagine looking at the united kingdom and thinking it is on the brink of woke takeover. How the gently caress

Leftists have captured everything except the government somehow. They control all the schools and indoctrinate our children with Marxist ideology, they control so the hospitals and give out medical care for free and instigate strikes, they control all the border force and let everyone in, they control all the local councils and have locked everyone into 15 minute LTN camps. The country is communist now, open your eyes!!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hasn't "The Blob" been used to characterise political groupthink in Washington for the last...30 years?
I can't imagine Gove picking up some US inside baseball like the blob or voter id or divorce and running with it in the UK with no understanding of the deeper context and falling on his rear end.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/undertheraedar/status/1661286212542377985

belfast gets the nukes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:hmmyes:

Guavanaut posted:

For maximum Britishness, just draw a bunch of straight lines around the largest 20 settlements and backname them.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Angepain posted:

Imagine being paid to say in your newspaper column that you think the country is on the brink of woke takeover. How the gently caress

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Imagine there's no values
It's easy if you're paid
All hell around us
Above us, a charade

You may say I'm a schemer
But I'm not the only one
I know that you'll never join us
Because your father wasn't one

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Pistol_Pete posted:

The Telegraph are trying to make 'Woke Blob' a thing and I am so stoked for it:

I thought this guy was just some wingnut columnist, but nope, he's the editor! "WOKE BLOB'S FINAL TRIUMPH!" is more a Sunday Sport than Sunday Telegraph headline, I would have thought...

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/fairfairisles/status/1661656775458709507?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It's incredible to realize there are significant numbers of people in the media and in politics who not only don't care if what they say is true, they don't even care if they themselves believe it

Does Allister Heath genuinely believe the woke blob has taken over Britain? It doesn't matter, not even to him.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Ron DeSantis famous, of course, for wresting control of Florida's state institutions from leftists.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's just a huge doghorn for "we need big shitters who are transphobic and homophobic loudly all day until queer families leave, wreckers who poo poo on all our cultural institutions, and Muskrats who boost the stupidest poo poo on earth. I don't give a poo poo how bad this is for public health or the economy."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angepain posted:

Right wing governance doesn't work, makes everyone angry and many of them specifically angry at the government, and the tory party is collapsing under its own incompetence. This clearly cannot be the result of them being able to do what they want, therefore it must be the many woke enemies that are more powerful than the government.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sunak has said he enjoys reading Jilly Cooper novels to escape from reality.

https://twitter.com/MsVanillaRose/status/1661670626237587456

Not something I'm familiar with, but figures it's that kind of rural Home Counties pastoral he considers escapism. Sounds more like horror to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As part of putting the books out I am treated to a steady drip feed of books with teenage girls on the cover wearing weird pastoral clothes written by about half a dozen different authors. I have not read them but I dread to think what they are like. They are a category in my head along with "weird fitness/psychology scam" "war dad books" "silhouette gun/transport/city murder book" "whimsical cover murder book" "pastel lady travel relationship book" etc.

I got two right next to each other once!

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 25, 2023

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That Dolly Parton one might actually be good, but I'd really like to see what she and Lee Child can cook up.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I have not read them but I dread to think what they are like.

It's just very gentle wank material, it's not that complicated and kind of exactly what youd expect.

I remember reading Riders when I was about 10 and knowing even then that there was something deeply strange about the British

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I got two right next to each other once!

lmao I've never heard of store exclusive bonus content for books before. Like when a game comes out and you can get a Nintendo-only unlockable Mario hat for the character, but presumably Molly goes shopping and buys a bakery fresh baguette or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

lmao I've never heard of store exclusive bonus content for books before. Like when a game comes out and you can get a Nintendo-only unlockable Mario hat for the character, but presumably Molly goes shopping and buys a bakery fresh baguette or something.

I know right it's amazing, they've got store exclusive content so now we need book horse armour dlc. Books-as-a-service where you have to log in every day to see what chapters are on sale in the store.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

I know right it's amazing, they've got store exclusive content so now we need book horse armour dlc. Books-as-a-service where you have to log in every day to see what chapters are on sale in the store.

That is how the wuxia apps work these days, it sucks really hard but you can pirate the books/stories instead.

Like each chapter is £2 or whatever, and you get 1 free chapter per week.

To be able to buy a whole (finished) series you have to pay a monthly subscription to the app, it costs £50-£100 each, and you have to keep paying the subscription to be able to read it.

Or, you know, just pirate it and read it all at once whenever you want.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 25, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

You haven't? Waterstones frequently do it with short story collections - they do an edition with a bonus story that won't be printed anywhere else for a certain amount of time. The Pratchett juvenilia collections are a good case in point: the first two volumes each had an exclusive story that was then printed in the third, which in turn had an edition with an exclusive story.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember it being done with fake ephemera, Waterstones exclusive map of the fantasy journey, Waterstones exclusive 19th century French-style banknotes, fake football card type things of the characters, and so on, but not actual additional writing. I can recall "Amazon exclusive content" for books but I assumed that was Amazon gonna Amazon.

It's not something I would have associated with Sainsbury's or Tesco's or the paperback pastoral romance genre though.

Private Speech posted:

That is how the wuxia apps work these days, it sucks really hard but you can pirate the books/stories instead.

To be able to buy a whole series you have to pay a monthly subscription to the app, it costs £50-£100 each, and you have to keep paying the subscription to access it.

Sainsbury's and Google present Unauthorized Bread.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 25, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Private Speech posted:

To be able to buy a whole (finished) series you have to pay a monthly subscription to the app, it costs £50-£100 each, and you have to keep paying the subscription to be able to read it.

I mean serialised novels aren't a new thing by any means - hence why Dickens drones on and on about poo poo nobody cares about

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

bessantj posted:

Doesn't everyone already have that for their entire lives?
Criminal Behaviour Orders seem like a weird semi-fascist elastoplast over the current state of sentencing and courts, which let the police kind of sidestep due process for repeat arrests.

Bear in mind IANAL or even really the finest legal mind, but as it was explained to me there are a bunch of things that are illegal (or undesirable for a functioning society), but hard to prosecute: two examples are civil matters where it's not for the police to prosecute, it's for the property owner (and cases are so expensive to start the property owner often won't); and secondly there are matters which tend to be difficult to prove / argue in court so the CPS won't pursue.

Mizzy appears to have done both. They can arrest him for being in someone's house, but they know it's not a dead cert in court and it's not really for the police to prosecute. So they'll have to release him and just keep arresting him each time he does it in a neverending loop that makes both parties look like idiots (because frankly they are).

This is where CBOs come in, and I want to be clear again that I'm not condoning or arguing in favour of them. The police know they'll never be able to take each case to trial and win (or there's enough doubt for CPS not to pursue - see pretty much any episode of 24 Hours in Police Custody). But they DO know that they can get a CBO issued quickly by a lower court with much faster turnaround times (and more importantly no trial), and then very easily and straightforwardly hand out a fine or custodial sentence next time for breaching the CBO.

This is why you get CBOs saying things like "Don't start fights in city centre pubs on a friday night" and "Don't smash all the windows in the shopping arcade with a hammer" - stuff that seems obviously illegal. A proper court has known arguments about establishing if the accused is really guilty, if it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, intent etc.

A breach of a CBO doesn't have to prove intent or whatever, it just has to prove that the plod caught them doing the thing the order says not to.

So in this case, the police issue a CBO saying "Don't enter people's houses without express permission, don't film people for tiktok without their prior consent" because if they can word the CBO in a way that covers 'annoying people for tiktok clout', they can arrest him for breaching the CBO and get a quick turnaround without a proper trial in a lower court for that instead.

Essentially it's a weird legal sidestep of "A court would probably never convict you for doing this, so instead of thinking 'hmm maybe we shouldn't arrest people for that,' we're going to convict you of the new crime of 'doing something we told you not to do.'"

Which sounds a bit fascist to me.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 25, 2023

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Occasionally the system works
https://twitter.com/MeganMcCubbin/status/1661690663748993026
90k damages and around 400k legal fees

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Pablo Bluth posted:

Occasionally the system works
https://twitter.com/MeganMcCubbin/status/1661690663748993026
90k damages and around 400k legal fees

Who would have thought the owners of 'Country Squire' magazine would be a pack of cunts.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Unkempt posted:

Who would have thought the owners of 'Country Squire' magazine would be a pack of cunts.

"Cunts Required"

Funka
Jan 4, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Sainsbury's and Google present Unauthorized Bread.

Still thinking about that story, thanks for the link

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

https://twitter.com/thestuffofmemes/status/1661643004094947333?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Funka posted:

Still thinking about that story, thanks for the link
Just realized that I put in a link that goes straight through to page 2 instead of the main link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funka
Jan 4, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Just realized that I put in a link that goes straight through to page 2 instead of the main link.

I actually preferred it that way, then I just went and bought the book anyways