Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

External Organs posted:

drat, the "made for rails" shrine or whatever was so much fun.

just did that one and yeah it starts off seeming like it's gonna be bad, but ends up being really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Friend posted:

Is there someone to talk to that gives a quest for the sage helmets like the lizard lakes at death mountain? I haven't run across anything that seems to be it but I also spend most of my time flying over everyone's heads

after you finish the regional phenomena, the sage for the area will basically tell you explicilty where the helm is, usually couched in "legend has it a treasure is here" language

you can just find it yourself ahead of time if you go digging, ofc

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

My favorite trick with Rewind has been using it to break puzzles. “Oh, you want me to slam my head against the wall, five beers into a bender, on your clever physics puzzle?” Hold my beer because I’ve got to use ultrahand to pull a platform as high as I can take it, climb to the next level, hit rewind on the platform at the apex of its travel path, and catch it just before it falls.

I thought that that was the solution to a puzzle and I was like "then why did they put all this other poo poo in here if that's all you gotta do?"

And now I'm thinking, hmm, that probably wasn't the puzzle.

Oh well the real way was probably annoying anyway

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Wow the house building mechanic sucks rear end huh? No roofs, no railings, no plants, no windows. Just a stack of ugly green blocks on a flat, featureless clearing. None of the charm of the other houses, just rooms with centered pre-furnishings, all two blocks wide. No corridors, no individual walls to close off openings. This is incredibly bad lol

To be fair, Japan is home to some impressively ugly architecture (also some cool stuff, but the ultra bland cube house feels very much at home within a contemporary Japanese design aesthetic).

If I had to place bets on what kind of DLC will come out for ToTK, I'd put my money on one that improves/expands on the house building.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I use stairs as walls to make my house have crinkly siding

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ethics_Gradient posted:

If I had to place bets on what kind of DLC will come out for ToTK, I'd put my money on one that improves/expands on the house building.

I can understand not having furniture because of the limit of things you can connect but yeah something like better variety and even windows would be nice.

Then let me have neighbors and I will give them stuff. In fact just give me Animal Crossing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Wow the house building mechanic sucks rear end huh? No roofs, no railings, no plants, no windows. Just a stack of ugly green blocks on a flat, featureless clearing. None of the charm of the other houses, just rooms with centered pre-furnishings, all two blocks wide. No corridors, no individual walls to close off openings. This is incredibly bad lol

if it's anything like botw, all anyone's using it for is "slap down rooms for weapon/shield/bow for storage" and nothing else

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Did the Spirit Temple and worked towards Gerudo. Holy gently caress this game. Just when you think you understood its formula, it completely changes everything you know about it. The boss fight was super silly, and Gerudo Town is super cool! It's easy to make a horny joke and be like "but I wish link was crossdressing :(", but it's cool to see Gerudos from a new perspective since they actually allow you in this time around.
Also GIBDOS!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

if it's anything like botw, all anyone's using it for is "slap down rooms for weapon/shield/bow for storage" and nothing else

I might get rid of the kitchen/prayer room/pond/garden for more storage

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Captain Hygiene posted:

You can do anything in this game, except climb while it's raining

There's both elixirs and an armor set for that. Skill issue.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I did the shrine with the description “Jailbreak” today, and goddamn, that’s a good one. It’s clearly an advanced puzzle shrine that has no interest in tutorializing; you need to use really clever combinations of Ultrahand, Ascend, and Rewind to get through it and I had a blast.

Then I caught the giant white stallion and named it John Cena because it’s big, white, has a lot of muscles, and refuses to change its gear.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Black Griffon posted:

There's both elixirs and an armor set for that. Skill issue.

That’s not skill

Skill is switching between running/slipping and climbing to get precious bits of stamina back while on 80° slopes

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

True pros walk perpendicular to the slope

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Steve Yun posted:

That’s not skill

Skill is switching between running/slipping and climbing to get precious bits of stamina back while on 80° slopes

Oh yeah absolutely. I would never use the term "skill issue" as intended, only to be a dipshit.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ethics_Gradient posted:

To be fair, Japan is home to some impressively ugly architecture (also some cool stuff, but the ultra bland cube house feels very much at home within a contemporary Japanese design aesthetic).

https://vintagehomeplans.tumblr.com/post/658520053874081792/japan-1980-toy-block-house-iii-a-large

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

I did the shrine with the description “Jailbreak” today, and goddamn, that’s a good one. It’s clearly an advanced puzzle shrine that has no interest in tutorializing; you need to use really clever combinations of Ultrahand, Ascend, and Rewind to get through it and I had a blast.

Lmao I'm there right now because it's literally the first shrine I wandered into this morning out of all the shrines on the map.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

CJacobs posted:

My favorite thing is to run around with the Ultrahand out til I grab the doofus-cube running the show. There's a satisfying amount of 'resistance' as you wiggle it free. :allears:

I thought that was the only strat until I saw a video of someone just climbing it and stabbing it in the face.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I appreciate the layout of the South Lanayru Sky Crystal Shrine. You do the ice flow slide, and there's the altar right out in the open... with another optional challenge just past because, come onnn; you know you had fun and want another go... :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fire Temple is probably the first content so far I've really, really disliked. Reasons why include Mind numbing waiting on mine carts, really loud repetitious dialogue from your buddy, and puzzles that didn't make use of the environment it was set in. Man Yunobo's voice acting is fuckin dire. The cutscene after being a direct rehash of the first temple I finished didn't help.

The temples are definitely the weakest part of the game in my opinion, purely for spectacle but each one has been fumbled by pacing interruptions. Anyone else struggling through them compared to the rest of the game?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 25, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fire temple is cool because you can just climb through it like any other part of the game and that's funny.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Man, I'm starting to feel like I'm running out of interesting content despite probably being lots to do? I've finished every side adventure I found save compedium, the Typhlo ruins and the photo of Kliton the King Gleeok one and still have a bunch of the depths left as well as sidequests, but I feel like going to finish the Zora and then do Spirit Temple. Idk, might be burnout?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I appreciate the layout of the South Lanayru Sky Crystal Shrine. You do the ice flow slide, and there's the altar right out in the open... with another optional challenge just past because, come onnn; you know you had fun and want another go... :allears:
What was your solution here? I'm pretty sure my idea of using the solid platforms as a bridge over the spikes to drop an ice shard directly over the target was not the ideal one

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Fire temple is cool because you can just climb through it like any other part of the game and that's funny.

Yeah, and this is me literally forgetting I had things like rockets and springs and ascend most of the time. Just brute forced it with my finger tips. Much more satisfying than figuring out these "puzzles"

CJacobs posted:

Fire Temple is probably the first content so far I've really, really disliked. Reasons why include Mind numbing waiting on mine carts, really loud repetitious dialogue from your buddy, and puzzles that didn't make use of the environment it was set in. Man Yunobo's voice acting is fuckin dire. The cutscene after being a direct rehash of the first temple I finished didn't help.

The temples are definitely the weakest part of the game in my opinion, purely for spectacle but each one has been fumbled by pacing interruptions. Anyone else struggling through them compared to the rest of the game?

People complained about the lack of temples in Botw, but the only way you could really pull them off in this kind of game is either:

1) dispossessing you of most of your tools like some shrines
2) making it so linear there's only one solution for each room
3) building it in such a bizarre way that e.g. ascend only works on surfaces it's meant to, which would feel like a cheat

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 25, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cat Machine posted:

What was your solution here? I'm pretty sure my idea of using the solid platforms as a bridge over the spikes to drop an ice shard directly over the target was not the ideal one

rewind full cancels momentum, which is incredibly useful for every shrine that wants you to slide or roll something in a way where it's easy to overshoot the target

or just shoot the target with bomb arrows

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Aipsh posted:

3) building it in such a bizarre way that e.g. ascend only works on surfaces it's meant to, which would feel like a cheat

They could easily have taken at least one temple and said “oh sorry this one is built of uh… depleted Gorondium so Ascend doesn’t work here” and I would bet money they considered it at some point but they must have committed to not depriving the player of their powers at any point.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pirate Radar posted:

They could easily have taken at least one temple and said “oh sorry this one is built of uh… depleted Gorondium so Ascend doesn’t work here” and I would bet money they considered it at some point but they must have committed to not depriving the player of their powers at any point.

and I'm glad of it

shame that didn't extend to making shrine walls climbable though

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah I appreciate that a bit more than having no temples - but tbh I would love even another water temple, even though it took 9 years old me two months to get through it.

New Cooking while flying will recharge you battery glitch just dropped:

youtube.com/watch?v=AtVofDdplZo

I really don't want to abuse any glitches for my first playthrough but it's kind of making me wonder have I already discovered and used some without knowing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cat Machine posted:

I simply timed it right :smuggo:.

Honestly I'm amazed I actually got the banked-shot needed for the second optional one on my first go, directly on-target too.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

and I'm glad of it

shame that didn't extend to making shrine walls climbable though

eh, Shrine wall climbing would like, invalidate 90% of the shrines with enough stamina and the glider.

Also apparently my feelings were kinda validated cause I'm almost done with Side Adventures lol. All I have left is one on Typhlo Ruins which requires story progress, 2 monster extermination ones, the Yiga Clan infiltration which is 2 and one at tutorial island on top of the Temple of Time lol how would I have found that. Well that and the ones I mentioned earlier.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Aipsh posted:

People complained about the lack of temples in Botw, but the only way you could really pull them off in this kind of game is either:

1) dispossessing you of most of your tools like some shrines
2) making it so linear there's only one solution for each room

They did this for the Fire Temple by making the ceilings in the barred rooms be too high for Ascend to reach. I thought that was clever. My issue with it was more that my other tools had no use, actually. There was indeed a lot of Link free solo-ing because the temple's puzzles didn't require me to fuse/ultrahand anything. It also didn't make use of fire-related enemies in spite of its name!

edit: Basically I got quite tired of my pal's voice lines by the end.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 25, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

one at tutorial island on top of the Temple of Time lol how would I have found that.

at some point something triggers a giant perpetual flare of blue green energy that you can see from just about any sky island in the world if you look in that direction

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hmm they designed the game so that cannons won’t be a cheap and easy way to cheese the game

Likelikes get out of vulnerable state before the next cannonball fires

Also it doesn’t seem to cause massive damage, it’s a lot faster to combat enemies yourself

Mainly it’s good for rock walls

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I liked the fire temple, minecart puzzles are fun

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They're one voice line he uses a lot that I think is supposed to be "I can do it!" but every time it sounds like "Why'd you do it!?"

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They're one voice line he uses a lot that I think is supposed to be "I can do it!" but every time it sounds like "Why'd you do it!?"

I thought exactly that.

I hated his voice though, it felt totally wrong. The non-dialogue noises were lower pitched and grunty, what I'd expect of a goron, but the dialogue was high pitched and annoying.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I thought exactly that.

I hated his voice though, it felt totally wrong. The non-dialogue noises were lower pitched and grunty, what I'd expect of a goron, but the dialogue was high pitched and annoying.

it makes a lot of sense when you play the game with the japanese voices like i did

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

kidcoelacanth posted:

it makes a lot of sense when you play the game with the japanese voices like i did

Yup, after the temple I swapped and it feels like a Nioh 2 situation.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

Oh my god thank you for reminding me I can do this. There isn't a single voice in this game so far that hasn't been embarrassing to listen to, especially Zelda.

They really should just copy the Fromsoft method of finding actors with the most regional possible voices. I don't care if everyone is inexplicably Welsh as long as they can do line delivery

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zelda's voice is good, the haters are stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
It sounds like Zelda is constantly on the verge of ugly crying every cutscene.