Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Captain Invictus posted:

bedbugs are tiny and get really red right after they've eaten, and are way more likely to show up in an NYC apartment bathroom than a clover mite. is it a bedbug?

They get red AFTER they've been eaten? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

YeahTubaMike posted:

After they eat you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

YeahTubaMike posted:

these are bedbugs:

the babies are basically the size of a sesame seed or smaller and turn bright red when they bite.

although apparently clover mites are a known home invader during springtime, though they don't cause any problems since they don't bite and don't eat anything, but crushing them leaves a red splotch. so it very well could have been a clover mite, I didn't think they would be a thing deep in a city.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
In Vermont we have a lot of clover mites (I guess, I didn't know what they were before.) I haven't seen them indoors but they're harmless and can be a very vivid red.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Enfys posted:

After they eat you

Oh yeah, I don't know why I hallucinated that "been" there, I guess I can't read before breakfast

Captain Invictus posted:

these are bedbugs:

the babies are basically the size of a sesame seed or smaller and turn bright red when they bite.

although apparently clover mites are a known home invader during springtime, though they don't cause any problems since they don't bite and don't eat anything, but crushing them leaves a red splotch. so it very well could have been a clover mite, I didn't think they would be a thing deep in a city.

In that case, here's why I don't think it was a bedbug, even though bedbugs are probably more common here than clover mites:

1) it was tiiiiiiiiiiny
2) when I crushed it (sorry, thread), it didn't leave any splotch

Mozi posted:

In Vermont we have a lot of clover mites (I guess, I didn't know what they were before.) I haven't seen them indoors but they're harmless and can be a very vivid red.

Yeah, the red was shockingly red, like, I can't even compare it to anything because I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything that red before.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Any guess about what this guy is? In the Edmonton, Alberta, Canada area. The gap is I guess about half inch? Making this guy 3ish inches long

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

St_Ides posted:

Any guess about what this guy is? In the Edmonton, Alberta, Canada area. The gap is I guess about half inch? Making this guy 3ish inches long

According to google it's a Stonefly.
https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.php?identification=Giant-Stonefly
https://bugguide.net/node/view/883515

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Nice. It was on my deck and the dog stepped on it, I wanted to be sure it wasn't venomous.

And it being an indicator of clean water is nice, considering I just moved here and there's a lot of oil and gas in the area

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

St_Ides posted:

Nice. It was on my deck and the dog stepped on it, I wanted to be sure it wasn't venomous.

And it being an indicator of clean water is nice, considering I just moved here and there's a lot of oil and gas in the area

Yeah, it's a stonefly - I've spotted a couple around here in the past. Nice find!

The North Saskatchewan is much cleaner than it used to be but I still wouldn't swim in it.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

St_Ides posted:

ooh cool find! always shocking how large they are. these guys nymphs are a format for fly fishers too

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Almost walked right past this one on the road today. Pretty sure i wouldn't have noticed anything if it hadn't moved. Not sure what I'm looking at (Trondheim, Norway).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Sad doot on left

Some sorta pine borer? On the right

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I think that's a pussy willow bloom on the left

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Perhaps this fellow? https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/320109-Rhagium-mordax

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i think today's ticks are both lone star ticks, a nymph and an adult female

I've found more ticks on me so far this year than I think I did in the previous 39

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

poverty goat posted:

I've found more ticks on me so far this year than I think I did in the previous 39

Same. Winter was too mild in the northeast, gonna be a banner year for covid enhanced tick borne disease!!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

slow moving friend who was hanging out by my lunch spot

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Went pedal boating today in a local park, and had some pretty close encounters with gators. They are unbelievably fascinating up close. (We kept a respectful distance). Most of them were in the water, but this guy decided to sun on what I'm assuming is some sort of filter/aerator.

Also lots of turtles.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Had an Eastern Spinebill check me out on my walk yesterday

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Went to a party and this dude stole the show.

Cope's Grey Treefrog afaik?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

I've never seen one of those and I like their little beaks very much.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Polyphemus caterpillars shedding in to 2nd instar. Every time a caterpillar sheds its skin, the head capsule nearly doubles in size, and they take about a week of eating for the body to catch up. The brown/orange bit is the old head capsule still stuck to the face hairs on the yellow bit that is the brand new twice-as-big head. Often there is a fair bit of attrition between 1st and 2nd instar as they fail to shed successfully, or otherwise fail to thrive. But this year things seem to be looking good. Everybody is healthy and happy so far.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Until I started pointing big lenses at small birds I didn't know they existed either!

They're a very handsome bird, and because they move around so fast you kind of have to be looking out for them, This is the only halfway decent picture I've managed to get of one ever.

We really are blessed with a huge diversity of honeyeaters in Australia - they're such interesting birds!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

We've taken to bringing Cichlidae's nice camera with us on our walks, and we got some nice pictures of our backyard neighbors to show for it!

We have so many American Robins. They're our State Bird, after all. We love them. Never get tired of watching them.

As we mentioned, the Baltimore orioles are indeed back this year, and more of them than before! We have several pairs this year.

Gray catbirds are also friends. Sometimes we mimic their cat noises back at them. They don't seem to appreciate it.

Oriole and common grackle bothering our resident red-tails.

A very confused freshly fledged house sparrow we saw today.

Speaking of our resident red-tails, we managed to get some pictures of them!

And a rare never before seen both of them together! The larger one (on the left) is the female. We call her Mike. Her mate, Oscar, is on the right. We think they have a nest in the area.

We're more about the birds, but we did get some non-bird pics as well:

Danger noodle! (Aka garter snake).

And today, a very special sight! We startled a cottontail (again, could be an Eastern Cottontail or New England Cottontail. Can't tell them apart except by genetic analysis) from her spot. After she bounded away, I noticed some of the grass had been torn up. I walked over to get a better look and:

BUNNY! She had a little bunny right there in the lawn. Not a great place for it, to be honest! It's right in the middle of the courtyard and this is the "dog building." Not to mention the landscapers. Oh and mustn't forget Oscar and Mike hanging around. I hope it gets big enough to leave the den before anything bad happens to it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Wonderful photos! I love those shots of the pair of red tails together and catbirds are among my favorite visitors. You are lucky!

I just got disturbed from my snooze by a zebra jumping spider crawling and hopping up my arm. In years past this would have ruined me. These days I just became fascinated before calling my spouse over to move it outside.

The calm reaction and curiosity (instead of screaming and flailing) is thanks entirely to this series of threads and all of the pictures you've all shared over the years. Thank you, Critterquesters!!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

my cat is norris posted:

The calm reaction and curiosity (instead of screaming and flailing) is thanks entirely to this series of threads and all of the pictures you've all shared over the years. Thank you, Critterquesters!!

:kimchi:

Also great shots all round there falcon. Makes me wanna sit outside quietly for hours with my big zoom

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

That's a handsome bird. He really is looking right at you!

Any non-Australians want to guess what this is...?

an echidna. I was reeeeally tempted to touch it...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The top half of an echidna?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

My driveway is occupied by a squatter…

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

That's a handsome bird. He really is looking right at you!

Any non-Australians want to guess what this is...?

an echidna. I was reeeeally tempted to touch it...

Looks like a lesser antipodean spineshroom to my trained eye

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cartoon Man posted:

My driveway is occupied by a squatter…

...and boy, is his face ever red!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

poverty goat posted:

i think today's ticks are both lone star ticks, a nymph and an adult female

Yeah. The person who lets me live in her basement is mad that I talked her into treating her dogs for ticks since a couple have obviously laid eggs (the ticks, not the dogs) in the house and I can’t sit anywhere upstairs without at least one tick climbing on me.

The ticks are loving insane this year and I doubt all of the various diseases they can spread have been fully catalogued. And all of the ticks this year seem to be really digging in when they DO manage to latch on.

Edit: previous to this year, I have had only 4 ticks latch onto me. I think I’ve had 4 or 5 actually latch on in the last few weeks, but I’ve found innumerable ones running around on me. I lived in the country growing up.

The ticks are nuts this year. So far, they deer and dog ticks. I hate ticks so loving much.

Bored fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 23, 2023

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Ugh, ticks are the worst. I've only ever been ticked once while I was living in Ontario and it was horrifying. Another (small) reason I don't entirely hate living in northern Alberta.

Speaking of inverts, I made some friends in the yard this weekend:

A miner bee! Unfortunately I may have disturbed its nest while doing some landscaping. Neat that you can see the simple eyes from this angle!

Zebra jumper being modest and covering his giant chelicerae with his pedipalps.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A couple of what I think are mourning doves made a nest in my gutter, right over the downspout:

So now not only are they very loud early in the morning, but it causes the gutter to overflow and not work properly when it rains. Stupid doves.

And they have a rather large baby already:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bored posted:

Yeah. The person who lets me live in her basement is mad that I talked her into treating her dogs for ticks since a couple have obviously laid eggs (the ticks, not the dogs) in the house and I can’t sit anywhere upstairs without at least one tick climbing on me.

The ticks are loving insane this year and I doubt all of the various diseases they can spread have been fully catalogued. And all of the ticks this year seem to be really digging in when they DO manage to latch on.

Edit: previous to this year, I have had only 4 ticks latch onto me. I think I’ve had 4 or 5 actually latch on in the last few weeks, but I’ve found innumerable ones running around on me. I lived in the country growing up.

The ticks are nuts this year. So far, they deer and dog ticks. I hate ticks so loving much.

You might have seen this already but the way to get ticks out without leaving any mouth parts is a tick twister. They naturally resist a pulling motion but can't hold on against a twisting motion, somehow:
https://www.amazon.com/Tick-Twister-Remover-Small-Large/dp/B01BECRHEO

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i take my cat for walks on my road and have pulled 1 tick out of her and found 3 others in her fur post-walk this year. the sum total of ticks before this year i've ever found on her was...zero, and i have had her 14 years. poo poo sucks this year, i hate it.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

This is after a pair decided to have a foot from the floor of the patio. I think the cat is now hoping it happens again. Not technically my cat. I do not own this place and have been told he’s not allowed to come in. I also think the hummingbirds know he hangs out here.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Posting itt because I just pulled a tick off of my leg, mashed it with a Bic razor and bin laden'd him into the toilet.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Bored posted:

nbd just a house full of ticks

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Funny, juvenile, fascinating bit on ticks.
https://youtu.be/RVca0LuEDaQ