Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
with no mechanism nor specific goal it'll turn into stock buy backs that has been observed

Grognan has issued a correction as of 08:23 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well the US ideologically is deadly afraid to say anything about industrial policy or "directing" the industries because the US treats capitalism as a religion. But Biden admin is basically imposing industry policy in the semiconductor industry with the Chips act. They just can't say it.

Still much less state directed than Russia IMO.

At some point the USA once modern isolated again is going to re-invent the modern pentium 4 equivalent. They'll be stuck with it and they're going to like it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

paul_soccer12 posted:

Ukraine is now within spitting distance of the t0513 highway they have also liberated Yahidne and are actively sieging berkhivka.

We are looking at a major event in the next week or so. What I do notice is that the speed at which Ukraine is taking back territory surrounding bakhmut is getting faster as the last two days have progressed.

Wagner's once again complaining and Ukraine is in the outskirts of bakhmut with at least half a mile or so worth of city scape behind them.

Literally another mission accomplished by the Russian military. Wagner is definitely going all in on the fact that bakhmood is captured so that they can loving leave because they know what is about to happen is going to be devastating. This may be the moment that the Russian army's back is broken as the lines are going to start disintegrating over the next coming weeks. At least in this direction.

Big big loving news folks keep your calendars and your live UA maps open

this actually is a genius move because it stops russia from going for a longest road victory.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well the US ideologically is deadly afraid to say anything about industrial policy or "directing" the industries because the US treats capitalism as a religion. But Biden admin is basically imposing industry policy in the semiconductor industry with the Chips act. They just can't say it.

In the case of semiconductors, though, the US government threw some funding at domestic firms and is threatening TSMC but it really isn't taking more expansive action. The US at one point did have more expansive government control, but it has been quite a while.

I think people need to separate the ideology of a particular leader/party from how the inner-workings of the state actually still work. In the case of China, Xi may actually want even more state direction that currently exists but he is largely taking measured action.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

stephenthinkpad posted:

Don’t make me tell the SA80 story again. The British have the world’s worst service rifle because they treat capitalism as a religion and won’t direct industry.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

Government spending doesn't equate to a mixed economy, it is the degree of the actual economy controlled by the state. The US spends a very large amount of money but actually controls very little of the economy itself. The US is neoliberalism taken to new heights.

Would you care to say anything regarding the regulatory environment for doing business in Russia? Or informal methods of controlling the economy?

Ytlaya posted:

They will do the fusion dance, forming the ultra-powerful poster Paul Saqr

(or Al Soccer; those user names are actually remarkably similar)

What if I told you Al-Saqr is the name of a soccer team? :tinfoil:

Slavvy posted:

Pickle rigozhin

Between this and Girkin it's almost as hard to tell Russian media figures apart as it is cspam posters.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

had to declare thread bankruptcy, but had a lol today at danish news running a breaking news story about prigozhin announcing the withdrawal of wagner troops from bakhmut, and then only towards the end mentioning it's a planned replacement where wagner troops are being replaced by regular russian troops.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Slavvy posted:

Pickle rigozhin

I also liked “Trepan Bandera” and “Volobotymyr Zelensky” but you got me hosed if I’m gonna find those posts to quote directly

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1661624409197518849

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1661629575527378945

post-industrial experience soon (tm)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A glorious transition to the mud based economy.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Would you care to say anything regarding the regulatory environment for doing business in Russia? Or informal methods of controlling the economy?

From experience, it seems strict and heavily bureaucratic for smaller businesses (that said who knows when you talk to small business people) and obviously the government has a close relationship with many of the larger private firms, there is a reason Lukoil just kind of floats by.

I would say one of the biggest problems with Russia isn't actually government regulation, its state budget, or even government relations with oligarchs, but its local taxation system. In Russia, most subnational regions only get income from property taxes, and they can't have their own income/excise/corporate taxes.

The problem with this is you can get wide variations between infrastructure and spending unless the federal government steps in, and sometimes they do and other times they don't. It is why for example Grozny was entirely rebuilt and Crimea/Sochi are doing well while Pskov and Kurgan languish. It isn't that different from the US in a lot of ways. It isn't neoliberal per se in this case, but unequal.

The biggest issue is just local infrastructure, a bunch of Siberian cities are trying to build/expand metro systems and the central government is barely doing anything about it despite having the resources because simply those localities don't have to local property taxes to devote to the project. It is definitely a ridiculous way of doing things, considering the example of China across the border.

It is also why Moscow is running out of room for infrastructure due to its massive property tax base and that a lot of Moscow oblast is only seeing small improvements because either Moscow is eating up parts of it or they are extensions of projects from Moscow.

Admittedly, Westerners get the wrong idea about Russia as development is supposedly just in Moscow and everything else is forgotten about it is more of a hodgepodge of different countries going in different directions. Tymen and Kazan for example are doing fine due to their proximity to oil fields. Vladivostok has gotten back in the saddle as well. But Nizhny Tagil was suffering for years because its tank factories were barely in operation, and Omsk as well. Not everything outside of Moscow is a wasteland, but there really isn't a national strategy to build equality region to region.

The problem really isn't the structure of the economy but how it is managed, and... in that case, Putin is kind of a careless idiot.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:43 on May 25, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SplitSoul posted:

Trepan Bandera

January 6 Survivor posted:

Volobotomyr Zelenskyi

Slavvy posted:

Pickle rigozhin

The Three Stooges!!!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Okay we've got rid of all our cheap power, our industry, everything. Now the promised golden utopia can commence and we shall all lives happy lives of luxury in our cities that stretch across the former countryside!

"Um, where's your food and goods coming from now then? Did you build robots or something to do all that first?"

(horrified look)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Just vote in Baerbock as your chancellor, she has all the answers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

Okay we've got rid of all our cheap power, our industry, everything. Now the promised golden utopia can commence and we shall all lives happy lives of luxury in our cities that stretch across the former countryside!

"Um, where's your food and goods coming from now then? Did you build robots or something to do all that first?"

(horrified look)

hmmmmmm

quote:

The local resources of Indochina were limited principally to foodstuffs and other raw materials. Rice, fish, animals, coal, charcoal, and construction materials were available and were acquired in considerable quantities, particularly by the Service du Matériel (SM) and the engineers.1 The advantages of local procurement included rapid delivery to the site of use, support of the indigenous economy, and the development of safe sources of supply in the event of failures in deliveries from overseas. On the other hand, local goods were often more expensive than the same items purchased in France or on the world market. Increased local production of the military materiel required by the French Union forces would have significantly improved the timely supply of critical items, but the French authorities, following a long-standing colonialist policy, declined to develop a local military equipment industry in Indochina. The reason advanced for this policy was that locally produced military goods might more easily fall into Viet Minh hands, but the real reason was that the French wished to keep Indochina dependent on France.2 In September 1951, the U.S. Military Assistance Advisory Group–Indochina (MAAG-Indochina) and the American legation in Saigon suggested that some simple items of military equipment be manufactured in Indochina to reduce the quantity of materiel to be shipped across the Pacific. French resistance to the suggestion was strong, and the U.S. authorities eventually decided that an effort to force the issue would be unproductive.3

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just vote in Baerbock as your chancellor, she has all the answers.

The way the German Greens have gone about energy policy, I honestly predict they would turn to coal liquefaction like their opas during the endsieg

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Trying to think who the "real bad guy" would be in this context. Definitely not Putin or Zelensky.

Maybe Emmanuel Macron somehow? Imagining him pulling off his suit/shift and being totally shredded underneath. It'd be a plot twist, where there's some convoluted reason why he was behind everything.

Emanuel Macron, Secret Korean

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

Ah Japan found a place to offload a bunch of used Isuzu commercial vehicles.

couldn't even spring for 100 hiluxes, no respect for tradition anymore

Weka posted:

Between this and Girkin it's almost as hard to tell Russian media figures apart as it is cspam posters.

come to think of it, cspam is on the same dead internet comedy forums that kickstarted the career of noted pro-russian propagandist brown moses :thunk:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Thanks Ardennes, always appreciate your insights.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
miyazaki Putin

https://twitter.com/emadhajjaj/status/1661640048444338177?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
lol wikipedia has been overtaken by nazis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_measures

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

tristeham posted:

lol wikipedia has been overtaken by nazis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_measures

I saw an article with a picture of the azov symbol and the caption explained that it's an I and N and only resembles a wolfsangel

So yeah Wikipedia is done

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

you mean to tell me a site run by liberals has become fascist in less than 2 years??

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

I saw an article with a picture of the azov symbol and the caption explained that it's an I and N and only resembles a wolfsangel

So yeah Wikipedia is done

It is probably still fine for non-controversial stuff, but yeah I wouldn't trust it for Soviet/Russian history and current events. The Russian military pages are also a complete mess at this point with everything coming from Oryx even if it absolutely doesn't make any sense.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Try building more clippers to connect it to the national market

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

afaik there still hasn't been a credible poll to suggest that a significant majority of the people of donetsk and luhansk wanted out of ukraine

the separatists were serious and well organised, but according to the established procedure there has to be a Free and Fair plebiscite for that sort of thing, and unless someone very powerful decides to intervene directly it tends to need the consent of the local state to happen. it's basically inevitable now unless something changes quite dramatically, but there is very much a meaningful difference between the so-called people's republics and crimea, which nobody really doubts actually had a significant majority in favour of going with russia

yeah, after 8 years of getting shelled by the ukrainian army, i don't see how they'd want to leave either

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Seems risky to raise armed militias from places that don't really want to break away. And give them tanks.

Weka
May 5, 2019

To the brave troops of the DPR and LPR, I say, tanks for your service.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Ardennes posted:

From experience, it seems strict and heavily bureaucratic for smaller businesses (that said who knows when you talk to small business people) and obviously the government has a close relationship with many of the larger private firms, there is a reason Lukoil just kind of floats by.

Small business falls into a bunch of different categories here. The smallest ones (IP - Individual Entrepeneurs) often sign up to a simplified tax regime where details of your activities are not important to the government, and you have a flat tax rate. If you run that kind of business (think of people with little souvenir shops in metro stations, taxi drivers, sometimes individual IT consultants abusing that setup) you're not dealing with a lot of regulation or interacting with the government at all.

OOOs (limited liability companies) are sort of the next step up. My company is an OOO. They are burdened with a lot more bureaucratic theatre around stuff like address registrations, company charters, various reporting acts that need to happen and so on. The first year or two you're involved in running one can be a bit overwhelming, but then you start to get a feel for which things are actually relevant, which rules you can just drop on the floor. You also build up a network of contacts to the "fixer" class and the good notaries, that is people with contacts that can help with any sort of problem involving the government. I think most of what they do is not so much bending/circumventing rules, but just poking the machinery somewhere to get people in it to actually do their job.

At this level you also have very little involvement from the government in your actual day-to-day activities, and for some industries (currently IT and manufacturing are very popular) you'll get various support programs but YMMV. The anti-sanctions IT support programs are very good on paper, but in practice I haven't gotten a single one of those to actually work for my company for various stupid reasons (stuff like "oh, to sign up for this benefit, you need to use that online service, but that doesn't work anymore as of December").

I don't have firsthand experience running a large company. But it seems the government's involvement ranges from deep alignment and control to virtually ignoring them. For example, I have an upcoming project with one of the country's largest tech companies, which has been waiting for government clarification on a recent regulatory change, only to receive silence.

Idk, overall they're pretty out of your hair unless you make someone angry, or become somehow strategically important. It might be worse in industries with more regulations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1661670760459431937

the counter offensive is looking better and better each day

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hearing the spring counteroffensive has finally begun. :toot:

Sorry about your impending probe, FF.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Russian so-called dragon's teeth

I highlighted in yellow why it seems like it's a mischaracterization to try and pin dragon's teeth as a Russian invention

I highlighted in green why this video of a tank driving straight into two small triangular blocks of concrete, just laying on the ground, might not be an accurate representation of what it's like to have to overcome dragon's teeth fortifications

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

SplitSoul posted:

Hearing the spring counteroffensive has finally begun. :toot:

Sorry about your impending probe, FF.

It's already been happening, didn't you notice?

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1661632340869652480#m

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

In trying to find out how available Soviet Cognac was to the masses, I came across an interesting tidbit about it and Churchill. He tried some with Stalin once and loved it so much he had crates of it regularly shipped to England as it became his favorite drink.

I always heard about Zhukov and his love of coca-cola, but this is the first I heard about Churchill and his lust for Soviet Cognac.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Marenghi posted:

In trying to find out how available Soviet Cognac was to the masses, I came across an interesting tidbit about it and Churchill. He tried some with Stalin once and loved it so much he had crates of it regularly shipped to England as it became his favorite drink.

I always heard about Zhukov and his love of coca-cola, but this is the first I heard about Churchill and his lust for Soviet Cognac.

It was fairly common, and up there with Vodka, a lot of South Caucasus cognac today is up there with the best.

It is looked with distain in present-day in modern day Russia because it is a. alcoholic and b. An old man’s drink.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I highlighted in yellow why it seems like it's a mischaracterization to try and pin dragon's teeth as a Russian invention

I highlighted in green why this video of a tank driving straight into two small triangular blocks of concrete, just laying on the ground, might not be an accurate representation of what it's like to have to overcome dragon's teeth fortifications

I sure hope the people planning the counter offensive know that

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Marenghi posted:

In trying to find out how available Soviet Cognac was to the masses

Here's an article about that: https://dzen.ru/a/YTc9pbjfqTfeSIUG (Dzen is sort of like the Russian Medium, just random people posting)

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Somebody should tell that to the Russians!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The best dragon's teeth come from real dragons. You just need to give them a gold coin under their pillow for each one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My only regret is that I'll be probed during the defence conference which I have to attend, after a mandatory meeting where the coughing chief complained about "the worst flu he'd ever had" and hardly being able to breathe. My two complementary coffees will be like ambrosia as I pass into the Elysian Fields, along with the rest of the unmasked, un-six-foot-distanced representatives of NATO and the MIC.