Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I really hope the X-men don't go back to the X-mansion after the Fall of X storyline. I've really enjoyed the Krakoa era and to have them go back and start playing softball would drive me bonkers. I grew up reading those comics and I loved them, but rehashing the same stories would be a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The whole title Fall of X and the incoming mini-series certainly point to disaster, but I'd be surprised if whatever happens at the Hellfire Gala really shakes the core premise of Krakoa. There's a lot being set up with Mother Righteous gaining favors and Legion pissing off that seems like it's going to take longer to mature to be what kicks off the whole thing. Fall of X sounds like maybe it's gonna be Orchis stuff, then we've got MR and whoever the Dominion Sinister is still waiting in the wings.

Put simply, I bet the fifth (!) year of this current era is still titled "Something of X."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

John Yossarian posted:

I really hope the X-men don't go back to the X-mansion after the Fall of X storyline. I've really enjoyed the Krakoa era and to have them go back and start playing softball would drive me bonkers. I grew up reading those comics and I loved them, but rehashing the same stories would be a bummer.

I think Krakoa is gonna exist in some capacity, but I also think there's gonna be some titles that are going back to having a setting at a school.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the drop of blood fell on the makraan crystal or something and that grew a new wolvie. he doesnt regenerate from blood regularly.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Codependent Poster posted:

I think Krakoa is gonna exist in some capacity, but I also think there's gonna be some titles that are going back to having a setting at a school.

For sure. They’ll move the X-Men from Central Park to Westchester, and give us a couple more X books that aren’t set on Krakoa.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The solicits keep talking about how the WORST THING EVER is going to happen that will put mutants in the WORST SPOT EVER, and as far as I can tell readers seem to have settled on the conclusion that this means the gates are going to become unusable somehow, but that doesn't really sound like the WORST THING EVER to me. If I had to guess, the worst thing that might come about in Fall of X would be for the resurrection process to be messed up somehow. A lot has already happened recently that kinda futzes with the process -- they don't have Sinister anymore, Xavier isn't part of the process anymore, Hope has become more disillusioned, and then add whatever weird thing Mikhail Rasputin was doing that I don't remember anymore -- and it probably wouldn't take a lot for Orchis to completely topple the system that had once been a well-oiled machine.

But then again I am notoriously bad at predicting plots so I guess we can all rest easy that this definitely won't happen :keke:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

BrianWilly posted:

The solicits keep talking about how the WORST THING EVER is going to happen that will put mutants in the WORST SPOT EVER, and as far as I can tell readers seem to have settled on the conclusion that this means the gates are going to become unusable somehow, but that doesn't really sound like the WORST THING EVER to me. If I had to guess, the worst thing that might come about in Fall of X would be for the resurrection process to be messed up somehow. A lot has already happened recently that kinda futzes with the process -- they don't have Sinister anymore, Xavier isn't part of the process anymore, Hope has become more disillusioned, and then add whatever weird thing Mikhail Rasputin was doing that I don't remember anymore -- and it probably wouldn't take a lot for Orchis to completely topple the system that had once been a well-oiled machine.

But then again I am notoriously bad at predicting plots so I guess we can all rest easy that this definitely won't happen :keke:

I think the issue with the gates being the big thing is that the X-Men have so many teleporters that "killing all the teleporters" was already a plot point in... Messiah Complex, I wanna say? It's an inconvenience, but not a disaster worth of a fall. That's equally the case with resurrection, which between AXE and SoS has been threatened a lot recently. They could maybe go around the issue by targeting the backups instead of the Five, or just by killing so many people that there's a backlog, but the former is difficult for Orchis logistically and the latter reputationally.

I'm sticking with "Krakoa dies" based largely on process of elimination.

Mother Righteous: the plot needs more time to cook
Mikhail Rasputin: mainly an X-Force storyline
Gates: detailed above
Resurrection is disrupted: detailed above
All-out Orchis attack: this all kicks off at the Hellfire Gala and it's a bad move to attack Krakoa while world leaders and famous people the writers are friends with like Jon Hamm are present. Also X-Men just did a plot where a bunch of dignitaries were false flagged by mutants.
Stealth Orchis attack on Krakoa's brain: this kills Krakoa's soft power drugs, they've still got human resurrections but they're offering those to underprivileged people who can't order drone strikes. Maybe this is enough of an excuse for nations to end their recognition of Krakoa. Doug is sad. (WHERE IS DOUG)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Well we know Orchis is already attacking some things during the Gala, and it's enough to spook Destiny into grabbing Mystique and getting out of there.

The FCBD issue shows someone poisoning the treehouse, stealing the Captain Krakoa armor, and killing Cyclops while at the same time attacking Captain America, which brings Rogue out for the save.

So it's likely that something else happens at the Gala which is bigger.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Well we know Orchis is already attacking some things during the Gala, and it's enough to spook Destiny into grabbing Mystique and getting out of there.

The FCBD issue shows someone poisoning the treehouse, stealing the Captain Krakoa armor, and killing Cyclops while at the same time attacking Captain America, which brings Rogue out for the save.

They have lots of wolverine skeleton and mention of putting skin on them

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Polaris should be able to take care of the meat robot Logans

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

My best guess is that "Fall of X" is "Fall of Xavier". Whether that means dead without resurrection, being tossed from the leadership, or literally "falls down and is in a wheel chair again" is anyone's guess.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

glitchwraith posted:

My best guess is that "Fall of X" is "Fall of Xavier". Whether that means dead without resurrection, being tossed from the leadership, or literally "falls down and is in a wheel chair again" is anyone's guess.

Given the repeated mentions of him realizing how dangerous he potentially is, I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to off himself for "the common good" (but keeps existing in whatever spirit-space thing is going on in Spurrier's weird books) or fucks off into space long-term again, and the status quo becomes more about balance of power on the council.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Diet Poison posted:

fucks off into space long-term again

Literally.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Diet Poison posted:

Given the repeated mentions of him realizing how dangerous he potentially is, I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to off himself for "the common good" (but keeps existing in whatever spirit-space thing is going on in Spurrier's weird books) or fucks off into space long-term again, and the status quo becomes more about balance of power on the council.

Nope that place is gone as Legion and blindfold just peaced out

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I like Xavier. Can't we just let him be happy? :(

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I dunno. I hear he's a jerk.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Absolutely. Chuck rules. I'll say, as an AvX reader, hopefully this run wouldn't think that's an inspired move to kill (kill kill) Xavier. I liked how part of the pitch of this era was they knew it had become meaningless, this style of comic death. They've gotta think of something else. At least go like five years before pulling one of those tricks, ideally ten years.

Y'know, One Piece went for like a zillion years before it killed a couple key characters (not counting tragic flashbacks), we could all learn from Oda.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rasputin IV gets a little sauced and starts talking way too loudly about how she's from a future where mutants overthrow humanity and advance to the point where they're a threat to the whole universe, ending her rant with "but we're like... 90% sure we dodged that bullet".

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Heavy Metal posted:

Absolutely. Chuck rules. I'll say, as an AvX reader, hopefully this run wouldn't think that's an inspired move to kill (kill kill) Xavier. I liked how part of the pitch of this era was they knew it had become meaningless, this style of comic death. They've gotta think of something else. At least go like five years before pulling one of those tricks, ideally ten years.

Y'know, One Piece went for like a zillion years before it killed a couple key characters (not counting tragic flashbacks), we could all learn from Oda.

Heck, they already killed Xavier in the first few months of Krakoa.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
xavier can't be happy while he's in charge. he was happy being lilandra's boytoy and he was happy being mostly retired in legacy. he's a very bad leader and it makes both him and everyone around him miserable.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He does not enjoy it, but has too much of a sense of responsibility to not get involved, Scott is similar.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

glitchwraith posted:

I would absolutely love if the much-publicized Fall of X is Xavier just slipping on a banana peel, followed by somebody expaining the many bullshit reasons they can't just fix him immediately.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It turns out the Dominion Sinister is just the gangster Sinister from the Ultimate universe and he pushes Chuck down a flight of stairs, but cosmically.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

He does not enjoy it, but has too much of a sense of responsibility to not get involved, Scott is similar.
Oh no, I'm relating to Professor X. I don't think it's just sense of responsibility, it's also a lack of trust in anyone else to get things done right.

I'm glad I don't have the ability to gently caress with people's brains.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I love this synopsis for the next Immortal

quote:

A COLOSSAL MISTAKE… The Quiet Council gather to fill the empty seat. It's the last chance to make a smart, kind decision to prevent the fall. Luckily, the deciding vote is in the hands of trusty old Colossus. Let's hope he hasn't got plans to ruin everything. That would be terrible.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Who exactly is in control of Colossus, again? Mikhail? I have to admit I'd be more excited about whatever is going on with him if it was a more compelling villain. There are real life Russians who I am more interested in seeing get their comeuppance nowadays.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

Who exactly is in control of Colossus, again? Mikhail? I have to admit I'd be more excited about whatever is going on with him if it was a more compelling villain. There are real life Russians who I am more interested in seeing get their comeuppance nowadays.

Mikhail is controlling him through a mutant author named Chronicler who's power is to dictate people's actions by writing their life story

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Fall of X is that it finally gets to NFL Superpro in the queue, the NFL sanctions Professor X for tampering and strips his next two first round draft picks, functionally dooming the X-men to at least two more years of rough rebuilding and constant talk of relocation to Anaheim.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I think Dominion Sinister is an Essex, not a Sinister. It's going to be Adam, somehow. His original son. Like we did see Doctor Stasis seemed to have a son he was pining over, and it seems weird they brought that reference back.
Or maybe it's Rebecca, his dead wife.

I dunno. I'm still a bit shaky on how the Dominion stuff works - I wasn't aware there was like a slot you could fill that stopped others. But yeah. It just feels to me like it would be a fun comeuppance for it to be an Essex but not a Sinister.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the idea that one person becoming a dominion precludes other, but similar people from ever doing so is new. but the story said it was one of the essex clones who isn't sinister, so it's probably best to just take it at its word. maybe some subsequent writer will switch up how it works, maybe the plot thread will be dropped entirely.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If Dominions transcend alternate timelines, it seems sort of necessary to avoid them being infinite in number.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Am I wrong in thinking that the Dominion of SoS is a distinctly different thing defined in HoXPoX? Maybe Gillen is saying that there are other ways to get there, but HoXPoX is pretty explicit in what it is.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I forget what the hell a Dominion even is as defined by these books. God-level artificial intelligence that exists outside of normal space? Or something like that. I thought at one point it was related to Warlock's people.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Rereading HoXPoX, it defines the usual way of getting to a Dominion as combining billions upon billions of AI into a singularity of information called a Titan and then unifying 10 or more of those singularities into one collective Dominion. The Essexes are trying to circumvent that and do it in a way that doesn't involve submitting themselves to the machines. Interestingly it also says Dominions control specific sectors of spacetime and that the one that includes Earth already exists and has 112 Titans, which is presumably our betrayer Dominion and the one Sinister tried and failed to supplant, although he started that process physically on Orbis' station so who knows how that works.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Maduo posted:

Rereading HoXPoX, it defines the usual way of getting to a Dominion as combining billions upon billions of AI into a singularity of information called a Titan and then unifying 10 or more of those singularities into one collective Dominion. The Essexes are trying to circumvent that and do it in a way that doesn't involve submitting themselves to the machines. Interestingly it also says Dominions control specific sectors of spacetime and that the one that includes Earth already exists and has 112 Titans, which is presumably our betrayer Dominion and the one Sinister tried and failed to supplant, although he started that process physically on Orbis' station so who knows how that works.

Yeah but... That would mean the betrayer was made of 112 Titans, meaning that they didn't circumvent anything.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I mean, I don't think any of the Essexes succeed but I also don't have a good theory as to who does.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Yeah but per HoXPoX, the "local" Dominion is made of 112 Titans.

So either the SOS Dominion is that one or a different thing altogether. Unless there's 2 in our spacetime.

I'm of the opinion it's a different thing altogether because it's clearly Sinister related. 112 Titans wouldn't have told him off.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maduo posted:

I mean, I don't think any of the Essexes succeed but I also don't have a good theory as to who does.
Bats the Ghost-Hound.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Maduo posted:

Best running theory would be the 'Original' or some sort of 5th suit 'joker' Essex.

My money is on a Nathaniel Essex with the rules for playing poker tattooed in small font on his forehead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the idea that one person becoming a dominion precludes other, but similar people from ever doing so is new. but the story said it was one of the essex clones who isn't sinister, so it's probably best to just take it at its word. maybe some subsequent writer will switch up how it works, maybe the plot thread will be dropped entirely.

I don't recall the story saying it was an Essex clone for sure? Merely that Sinister assumed as much, which checks out with his character since of course the only person he'd accept that could beat him is him. All the dominion said was "not you."

But yeah. The rules of how dominion 'slots' get filled seem real nebulous.