Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Something i'm not seeing people bring up, but the preview builds that game press got to play had frame rate issues. These will hopefully be fixed for launch. In performance mode though it tries to target 60fps, but really struggles to get there, it dips really hard according to Easy Allies.

I hope this isn't too big of an issue. It seems like most developers are just really bad at optimizing games these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Apparently the frame rate difference was due to Max playing an older build. The version they showed at PAX was 60fps when they were going through the large desert area. It does sound like a very Square thing to have people playing the game in different states, but maybe it was easier to prevent them from seeing things too early that way.
https://twitter.com/BltzZ7/status/1660720327029039125

Yoshi P is a funny dude.
https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1660703060815912963

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tekne posted:

Apparently the frame rate difference was due to Max playing an older build. The version they showed at PAX was 60fps when they were going through the large desert area. It does sound like a very Square thing to have people playing the game in different states, but maybe it was easier to prevent them from seeing things too early that way.
https://twitter.com/BltzZ7/status/1660720327029039125

I don't think this addresses the issue mentioned in the EasyAllies video "I said come in!" was referring to, because they mention that they played parts in the performance mode and the rate dropped in certain situations that weren't the open areas (like the phoenix segment at the very beginning). The linked tweet is just saying "they have a 60-fps targeted mode" which isn't the issue mentioned in that EasyAllies video (which is that the 60fps targeted performance mode often doesn't meet that target).

Something being locked to 30fps also wouldn't visually manifest as "framerate drops" - it would just be a constant/stable lower framerate.

edit: One of the things they mention does seem to be related to the 30fps-locked open areas, though. They do mention an open part seeming like it was around 30fps. But they also mention some obvious framerate drops during the Phoenix vs Ifrit segment at the every beginning.

I'll just be crossing my fingers about this. At the very least, it sounds like the regular combat is smooth in performance mode.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 23, 2023

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
IGN has a interesting video preview this morning. It was always going to be a day one buy from me because I'm cursed with the Final Fantasy Fever, but I really hope when the plot inenvitably goes off the rails it doesn't pull the mat underneath us in a FFXV way.

This is definitely a very UK centric complaint, but Ralph Ineson's voice is so distinctive, it's like a UK Gilfred Gotfriend. Every time Cid speaks I'm either taken to Finchy having sex by the bins in a car-park, and it's going to take a while to train my brain away from that.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Weasling Weasel posted:

This is definitely a very UK centric complaint, but Ralph Ineson's voice is so distinctive, it's like a UK Gilfred Gotfriend. Every time Cid speaks I'm either taken to Finchy having sex by the bins in a car-park, and it's going to take a while to train my brain away from that.

lmao

Ill remember that about CidXVI, thanks

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I mostly know him from The Green Knight so that's actually pretty funny to imagine.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Weasling Weasel posted:

IGN has a interesting video preview this morning. It was always going to be a day one buy from me because I'm cursed with the Final Fantasy Fever, but I really hope when the plot inenvitably goes off the rails it doesn't pull the mat underneath us in a FFXV way.

Nearly everyone sounds like ralph here in yorkshire. It is not a gilfred gotfriend situation. Just typical scaring the no ball drop southerners type of situtation

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

every person from the british isles sounds like Gilpriend Gotpried to me

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Makes sense, considering that is what we all sound like.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
*hears an Icelandic accent*

So where in England are you from

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.eurogamer.net/making-clive-sexy-in-conversation-with-ben-starr-and-susannah-fielding-from-final-fantasy-16

quote:

It's funny, you mentioned the codenames as being regular names, but Jill and Clive are also quite regular names. In the past we've had Cloud and Squall, but now we've got Clive. That's not very Final Fantasy?!

B: We did have a joke early on pretending to be Aunty Jill and Uncle Clive from down the road having an adventure together.

S: They're like names from Coronation Street rather than Final Fantasy.

B: I will say, Jill has already been taken obviously, for Resident Evil fans. I watched Air two days ago [film about Nike signing Michael Jordan], and Viola Davis plays [Jordan's] mother. She says 'a shoe is just a shoe until my son steps into it'. And I've been using that as an example of 'Clive is just a name until Clive steps into it'. Now I feel it's very normal and keep going 'Clive - yeah that is a sexy name'.

S: We're reimagining the name Clive, for all those Clives out there.

B: We are re-envisaging Clive for the 21st century.

they're right

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One plot thing I'm curious about is what exactly is up with Clive's "absorb Eikon powers" ability. From what I can tell from the preview material, he has that ability while he's still young, but it seems like people don't make a big deal out of it (when it actually seems like it should be a pretty big deal that would make him like a lesser version of the Dominants).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think Dominants are able to bequeath a bit of their power to others?* So the reason Clive is able to fight with Phoenix's powers is because Joshua blessed him with it. And then his ability to copy others/force others to give it to him is first revealed after he fights Benedikta. Maybe.

*Chirada and Suparna might be this, and I think i read something to that effect at some point, is my only other proof I can think of at the moment

Terper fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 23, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/13qg3oi/good_summary_of_jp_interviews_for_ffxvi_by/

quote:

The Moogle that you pick up Mob Hunts from is a self-conceited piece of crap.
gently caress yes... love my lovely moogle friends

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Final Fantasy XVI - Clive - yeah that is a sexy name

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Final Fantasy XVI - Clive A Clive

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There was a new trailer today, but i shall not watch it, i have seen enough. I shall await the demo patiently.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I held my eyes closed when it came up. I’ve seen enough.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terper posted:

I think Dominants are able to bequeath a bit of their power to others?* So the reason Clive is able to fight with Phoenix's powers is because Joshua blessed him with it. And then his ability to copy others/force others to give it to him is first revealed after he fights Benedikta. Maybe.

*Chirada and Suparna might be this, and I think i read something to that effect at some point, is my only other proof I can think of at the moment

During the Garuda gameplay segment they previewed a while back, it shows him forcibly absorbing power from her in some way. But that might also be something different, since Clive himself (who is older in this scene) seems shocked at it. I think you're probably right that they can bequeath powers on people, and that's probably where Clive gets his abilities before later events (like him getting Ifrit).

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Edit: false alarm

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 25, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Edit: false alarm

:siren:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.rpgsite.net/interview/14257-we-have-a-dream-team-on-16-final-fantasy-xvi-developer-interview

quote:

What are you looking for in the reception? Will success be judged through existing FF fans, or in how many new fans you make, or something else?

Yoshida: My biggest thing, and I guess it's my biggest worry - but the one thing that I’m looking for is how people think of the story. I want to know how people think when they get to the end of the game and they've finished watching all the way to the end of the credits, and what they feel at that moment. How will they feel? That's what I want to know. I want to know if they're going to say, 'this was the greatest thing ever', or 'this was a really interesting story'. I'm just waiting to see how the fans react to the story, because that's what we've put so much effort into.

Of course it'll be interesting to see what those hardcore action gamers think of the systems, what Final Fantasy fans that maybe don't like action make of this new style of play... those are all things that I'm also interested in learning about. But when it comes down to it, all I really want to know is what people think of the story.

Remember to tweet @ yoshi-p when you're done

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

what a guy :3:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i just love how earnest and not full of poo poo he is. i hope xvi is super successful

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think FFXVI will probably get a positive response largely on the basis of Soken alone. Music plays a huge role in getting a positive response from people. You can take a completely identical melodramatic scene, and whether the audience is moved by it or thinks it's cheesy might depend entirely upon the background music. I'd be curious to take some pivotal FF14 scenes and see how people react to them with the original soundtrack vs with some generic "control" soundtrack.

One thing I like about the FFXVI trailers is that it looks like the game will really lean into the melodrama. Like one of the trailers has a goofy part that just shows a bunch of people screaming. IMO "melodrama with good music" is the core of the final fantasy series, so I'll be happy as long as they provide lots of dramatic scenes with good music.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I am absolutely here for the Japanese game of thrones melodrama. Everything I've heard about the first few hours sounds really good. Can't wait to play the demo whenever that happens.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Like June 8th or something, around that time where we get the demo.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

gently caress this looks so good. I'm glad I don't use Twitter much so I can avoid spoilers until the PC release/I get a PS5

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's the month in which a wholly brand new mainline Final Fantasy game releases

Last time that happened was November 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Terper posted:

It's the month in which a wholly brand new mainline Final Fantasy game releases

Last time that happened was November 2016

What else happened in November 2016??

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am annoyed that my company arranged a teambuilding event on the 24th so half my weekend is gone to that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

I am annoyed that my company arranged a teambuilding event on the 24th so half my weekend is gone to that.

It’s mandatory for continued employment? Or you’ll at least be punished for not attending? Cause gently caress that. I am taking a day off work to play FFXVI, possibly more if I haven’t finished the story yet, but FF games are not really that long unless it’s FF14.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The NBA draft is scheduled on release date.

I bought the way too expensive collectors edition so that should placate me until it arrives

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All that said if you can only buy one game this month it should be Ghost Trick

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I said come in! posted:

It’s mandatory for continued employment? Or you’ll at least be punished for not attending? Cause gently caress that. I am taking a day off work to play FFXVI, possibly more if I haven’t finished the story yet, but FF games are not really that long unless it’s FF14.

Yeah I'm gonna try and weasel my way out of it, it's not mandatory or anything.

Terper posted:

All that said if you can only buy one game this month it should be Ghost Trick

Already preordered thanks to a bunch of people reccing it to me after finishing all the Ace Attorney games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Three weeks to go

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
1 week...

Demo with save transfer might drop next week :pray:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004