Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

CJacobs posted:

When you drive do you bump the stereo to AMMMMMM or FUMMMMMM?

I really, really hope I DON’T understand why Brenda Song isn’t a huge star by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Breetai posted:

One of the Mad magazine super specials had a vinyl that had 8 different endings (It's a super spectacular day). Just a stunning degree of technical fuckery for a gag.

going way too hard for a joke was mads whole brand tbh

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

TK-42-1 posted:

going way too hard for a joke was mads whole brand tbh

The 200+ lines of printed code to create a printout of Alfred E Neumann included in their computer special was amazing. The fact that the code didn't work without corrections they included in a subsequent issue and that people wasted hours painstakingly typing it out only for it not to work was inspired.

Breetai has a new favorite as of 04:58 on May 25, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I never knew these things about Mad. Fuckin legend

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

FFT posted:

Some day I'd love to acquire a copy of the Monty Python album that was double-tracked on one side, so you'd get one of two recordings depending on which groove you landed in.

https://www.discogs.com/release/4763740-Unknown-Artist-Which-Horse-Wins-Phono-Finish-Horse-Race

I always loved that concept. There were quite a few of these novelty records over the years - horse races, car races etc.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

fartknocker posted:

Hi, I’m Normal Doubt.

Are you sure?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

When I took my first driver's test a million years ago the DMV ride-along person had never seen a manual transmission and kept yelling at me for taking my hand off the wheel.

It went quite badly and I didn't get my license that trip.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

rydiafan posted:

When I took my first driver's test a million years ago the DMV ride-along person had never seen a manual transmission and kept yelling at me for taking my hand off the wheel.

It went quite badly and I didn't get my license that trip.

What in the hell. Are automatics super common over there or how is this even possibly?

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Yeah, something like 98% of all cars sold these days are automatics. The vast majority of people can't drive a manual and thus even the people that can are less likely to buy one since it means that it's going to be harder to sell and likely to fetch a lower price.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Prof. Banks posted:

Yeah, something like 98% of all cars sold these days are automatics. The vast majority of people can't drive a manual and thus even the people that can are less likely to buy one since it means that it's going to be harder to sell and likely to fetch a lower price.

It's cool how this can vary so much despite, presumably, cars being sold internationally. Maybe American car makers were earlier with good automatic transmissions?

A quick Google tells me that in 2017 they were 10% of the market, and 2020 31%. I assume market means "sold new" and not "in circulation", and since most real people buy their cars used a manual is the default and knowing how to drive one is still considered mandatory unless your parents are rich.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
*bursts into thread, breathing heavily*

GUYS very small things experience time differently

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/sep/16/time-passes-slowly-flies-study

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jaxyon posted:

*bursts into thread, breathing heavily*

GUYS very small things experience time differently

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/sep/16/time-passes-slowly-flies-study

no need to rush, afaict you were on time

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Carthag Tuek posted:

no need to rush, afaict you were on time

Who said that? Who said that, show yourself!!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Phosphine posted:

It's cool how this can vary so much despite, presumably, cars being sold internationally. Maybe American car makers were earlier with good automatic transmissions?

A quick Google tells me that in 2017 they were 10% of the market, and 2020 31%. I assume market means "sold new" and not "in circulation", and since most real people buy their cars used a manual is the default and knowing how to drive one is still considered mandatory unless your parents are rich.

Those numbers are likely worldwide ratios. In North America, it's like 95% of cars are automatics. The last generation where you HAD to know how to drive a stick were boomers. I don't know anyone under 40 that has a stick shift, or even cares to learn how to drive one. They're essentially not a thing here anymore.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Those numbers are likely worldwide ratios. In North America, it's like 95% of cars are automatics. The last generation where you HAD to know how to drive a stick were boomers. I don't know anyone under 40 that has a stick shift, or even cares to learn how to drive one. They're essentially not a thing here anymore.

How are the Fast&Furious movies about driving stick? Changing gears is/was often used as dramatic emphasis in car-based action scenes; it's kind of hilarious to imagine the most popular car-action franchise still using that kind of visual cue and 75% of the audience going "What the gently caress is he doing?!"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Check it out, Dom is going to mess with the cars fiddle stick!

Bloody Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 07:32 on May 25, 2023

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

How are the Fast&Furious movies about driving stick? Changing gears is/was often used as dramatic emphasis in car-based action scenes; it's kind of hilarious to imagine the most popular car-action franchise still using that kind of visual cue and 75% of the audience going "What the gently caress is he doing?!"

Maybe they think it's a special racing car boost lever

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Let's be honest what every they show in those movies and call cars are basically just magical broom broom go fast machines wearing cheap car costumes. Resemblances to any real life machines is seemingly purely accidentally.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah that was for Europe, sorry for being unclear. The same source listed the 98% new stat for the US as the poster I quoted. Very big difference from just crossing some water.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Huh. When I still had a car (:australia: under 40) it was a manual. When I go back to visit my home town, my family all drive automatics these days, and mum says they pretty much don't sell manuals any more. Which is a shame, they're more fun.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Breetai posted:

The 200+ lines of printed code to create a printout of Alfred E Neumann included in their computer special was amazing. The fact that the code didn't work without corrections they included in a subsequent issue and that people wasted hours painstakingly typing it out only for it not to work was inspired.

I typed it in.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Stick shifts are more engaging to drive imo but that's about it unless you're racing. Used to be that they were the better choice for fuel economy but automatically have gotten enough smarter that it's the other way round now, and has been for years. I don't really follow street racing but I wouldn't be surprised if custom reprogramming actually made them better than most drivers shifting manually these days too. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you're wrong

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Automatic transmission is indisputably just better for everyone concerned when driving in a city in Winter (because cities are built on seven hills). Other than that it's all very much "who cares" territory.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

CVT > MT >>> AT

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Mr. Fix It posted:

CVT > MT >>> AT

CVT’s are poo poo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Cock and valls torture?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chrysler VTCruiser

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Chrysler valls torture cock ruiser?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I learned to drive split between a minivan and a stick shift in the nineties. Most of my friends were unable to use the stick shift then.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The VT in Chrysler VTCruiser is short for "Chrysler VTCruiser".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah yes, an artifact of the Chrysler/Lamborghini era

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Automatic transmission is indisputably just better for everyone concerned when driving in a city in Winter (because cities are built on seven hills).

I only count six.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I only count six.

Impressive for a hillbilly.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Remulak posted:

I really, really hope I DON’T understand why Brenda Song isn’t a huge star by now.

I looked up who that was and the answer to your question is that she and Mac Culkin have two kids, so it seems like she’s fine

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Stick shifts are more engaging to drive imo but that's about it unless you're racing. Used to be that they were the better choice for fuel economy but automatically have gotten enough smarter that it's the other way round now, and has been for years. I don't really follow street racing but I wouldn't be surprised if custom reprogramming actually made them better than most drivers shifting manually these days too. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong though.

Absolutely. Dual clutch systems can shift much more quickly and smoothly. All super and hyper cars have flappy paddles at this point.

Phosphine posted:

.... Maybe American car makers were earlier with good automatic transmissions?

The first mass-produced automatic anywhere in the world was introduced by GM in 1939. From Wikipedia:

quote:

In the United States, over 80% of new cars had automatic transmission by 1957.[3] Automatic transmission has been standard in large cars since at least 1974.[5] By 2020 only 2.4% of new cars had manual transmission.[6] Historically, automatic transmissions were less efficient, but lower fuel prices in the US made this less of a problem than in Europe.[7]

Basically, it was introduced as a newfangled luxury gadget here first, then became available to the masses in the postwar boom when the middle class grew tremendously and the rest of the world was still recovering. Fuel prices and momentum did the rest.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 12:39 on May 25, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Brenda Song owned in The Quarry, one of the best characters in that game. She's still vibin out there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vietnamese ska bands

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
its the eggs of an oven, its the white of the eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na