Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Google takes over half the screen? Not the Twitter app?

You can deregister apps as link handlers, by going to the app's info in settings and changing 'open by default'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Those popups are Twitter's, I believe, yeah. It's REAL loving aggressive about making you an account.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

It does this even if you're already logged in?

Oh I'm not logged in. I used to use Twitter via Flamingo, but once ol Muskrat killed 3rd party access to the API, I pretty much stopped using it at all. If I do use it, it's from my desktop.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Isn't it just Twitter trying to get you to log in?

In any case I use UntrackMe to redirect requests for Twitter to Nitter, which improves the experience.

I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

MikeJF posted:

Google takes over half the screen? Not the Twitter app?

You can deregister apps as link handlers, by going to the app's info in settings and changing 'open by default'.

I don't have the Twitter app installed. And I guess it's not half the screen, but it sure feels like it. Doubly so when it pops up at the exact instant I tap to dismiss Twitter's prompt to log in, it covers it up, and the big ol' Continue button happens to be right where I'm tapping:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's still just Twitter doing it though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I can see the confusion though

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

nitter is objectively better because you can grab rss feeds out of it for the people you want to visit so you never need to visit that miserable site directly ever again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Nitrousoxide posted:

nitter is objectively better because you can grab rss feeds out of it for the people you want to visit so you never need to visit that miserable site directly ever again.

Ok, I will hadn't heard about the RSS feed thing before. I poked around for a little bit at the nitter website and I see they say they have RSS feeds, but I can't figure out how to generate one. How's that work?

Edit: found it. The RSS icon appears when you view an account.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Pretty sure one if the ublock origin optional annoyance filters will block those, and most other social media linking and cookie pop up poo poo

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

Now that you say that...

I think the bug popped up since I got on the beta, maybe I'll keep looking around at other apps.

I dropped Nova in favor of Microsoft Launcher and it's been working well so far.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I use Fritter to handle Twitter links without needing an account, as it doesn't have the slowness / unreliability of Nitter frontends. It's gonna occasionally break when the APIs change, though.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
I thought twitter effectively killed third party apps with their API token limits and so on?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they killed apps which used the official public API, but things like nitter use the private APIs that twitters web UI and official apps are built on

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

hooah posted:

Ok, I will hadn't heard about the RSS feed thing before. I poked around for a little bit at the nitter website and I see they say they have RSS feeds, but I can't figure out how to generate one. How's that work?

Edit: found it. The RSS icon appears when you view an account.

You can also grab rss feeds for specifically the media or tweets & replies feed by first selecting those before you hit the rss feed icon in the top right. I use this to limit to media feed only for the fanartists I follow.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Gmail doesn't give notifications for incoming mails with certain labels. Is there a different Mail client that's worth trying? Single payment is fine but I'm not looking for a subscription. It should also support outlook as I have an address there as well.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Incessant Excess posted:

Gmail doesn't give notifications for incoming mails with certain labels. Is there a different Mail client that's worth trying? Single payment is fine but I'm not looking for a subscription. It should also support outlook as I have an address there as well.

I use k9 mail for my tablet, but for the opposite use case. I manually check my dozen of email accounts at once without getting notifications.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I use Fairmail.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
seconding fairmail. it's great once you get it set up.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Nine is great for outlook. One time payment. It's everything the Microsoft Outlook mobile client should be and doesn't require MDM permission to your device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3&hl=en_US&gl=US

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there an app/widget to quickly see the air quality in my area? I got an alert a couple of weeks ago from the fallout from the fires in Canada, then an icon in my Google weather widget for a couple of days, then nothing. Just been looking at random websites that are annoying to use on my phone. We've been mostly in the yellow "moderate" level, but hit the orange "unhealthy for sensitive groups" a few times. It's not as bad as others have dealt with, but I like to check it before heading out for a hard bike ride. And it would be important if I happened to be in that sensitive group.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Uthor posted:

Is there an app/widget to quickly see the air quality in my area? I got an alert a couple of weeks ago from the fallout from the fires in Canada, then an icon in my Google weather widget for a couple of days, then nothing. Just been looking at random websites that are annoying to use on my phone. We've been mostly in the yellow "moderate" level, but hit the orange "unhealthy for sensitive groups" a few times. It's not as bad as others have dealt with, but I like to check it before heading out for a hard bike ride. And it would be important if I happened to be in that sensitive group.

WeatherUnderground and OneWeather both have air quality listed in the opening pages of their apps - just scroll a bit. I can't think of any widgets that do right now, but I know they used to exist.

If your state mesonet has an app, they may have air quality listed front & center too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ah, I didn't think to look into the weather app.

This made me check and the EPA has an app that is basically a mobile version of their website. I'll keep an eye on this, too. And try to get myself from refreshing every half hour, especially if I'm just sitting at work and not going outside, haha.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.saic.airnow

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
I just got a new phone and it runs android 10, my old phone was some other version of android and I had a barebones RSS podcast downloader called gPodcastDownloader. It didn't play audio files or have ads or do literally anything at all other than take in RSS URLs and let me download a bunch of audio files to play on my vlc player.

I cannot find this on the app store anymore and I don't want to download a stupid bloated bullshit app with a bunch of garbage on it that makes my phone go slow, does anyone know a super barebones podcast downloader app I can use like that?

e: aw gently caress it was right in front of my face, I found it lol. Please disregard this post.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Uthor posted:

I've been happily using breezeometer for a while.
It's a very simple and clean app, and lets you use notifications for air quality and has a specific alert for wildfire areas.
It also has a nice map interface so you can see how close you might be to winds moving bad air to you.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My wife and I have a shared note in Google Keep for various reminders and such, but it seems that Keep doesn't send a notification when said note is updated.

Is there a setting I'm missing, or should we use another app (and if so, which one)?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Kheldarn posted:

My wife and I have a shared note in Google Keep for various reminders and such, but it seems that Keep doesn't send a notification when said note is updated.

Is there a setting I'm missing, or should we use another app (and if so, which one)?

Might be a dumb answer but would creating a new shared note produce a notification? Maybe just spread your notes out more if so

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

I don't know exactly what you're doing but have you considered using calendars for this instead? They're made to do basically that same thing.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Does anyone know how to get the top notification to stop displaying every time I get a reminder in Tasks?

I went to the notification settings for it but I'm not sure if stopping the "Reminders and Tasks" channel is the thing to do.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For me that looks like you should disable the notifications from Assistant.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

nielsm posted:

For me that looks like you should disable the notifications from Assistant.

That did it. Thanks for the reassurance.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mine stopped telling me it a day or two after ported all my reminders into tasks fwiw

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Mine stopped telling me it a day or two after ported all my reminders into tasks fwiw

Mine's been like that for two weeks. I don't know why it wouldn't go away.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

I use Fritter to handle Twitter links without needing an account, as it doesn't have the slowness / unreliability of Nitter frontends. It's gonna occasionally break when the APIs change, though.

Been using this for a little bit, now, and it's really nice.

Does anyone know if there's anything like it for Instagram?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What do the kids use for m4b audiobooks? I want basic ability to have know it's playing a book, chapters, skip forward/backwards, remember my position, basically be a podcast app but audiobooks.

Paid is fine or even preferred assuming it's not an annual/monthly subscription.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

H110Hawk posted:

What do the kids use for m4b audiobooks? I want basic ability to have know it's playing a book, chapters, skip forward/backwards, remember my position, basically be a podcast app but audiobooks.

Paid is fine or even preferred assuming it's not an annual/monthly subscription.

Smart Audiobook Player should fit your needs. I've used it for a range of different audio files and it's handled them all fine so far.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ak.alizandro.smartaudiobookplayer&hl=en&gl=US

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Kinda niche but if you have a NAS or server then audiobookshelf is kind of a Plex for audiobooks, works pretty well even for people who are not very tech savvy.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Incessant Excess posted:

Kinda niche but if you have a NAS or server then audiobookshelf is kind of a Plex for audiobooks, works pretty well even for people who are not very tech savvy.

oh poo poo nice! I'm actually in the process of building a home server so I will definitely use this now that I know about it. thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Incessant Excess posted:

I actually recommend Chronicle for Audiobooks. It's just a front end that connects to your Plex server, but still pulls meta data from Plex itself, so you can have all your media in one location (obviously audiobooks should be in their own library)

Edit - I swapped to Chronicle rather than just using Plex's app because Chronicle has enhanced capabilities to save your location if the completely legal audiobook you have is one large file rather than chapters.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 30, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I use audiobookshelf as well and it works great. It has a good mobile client, can be saved as a PWA on desktop and it has cross-device sync, so you can pick up on another device where you left off on a different one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

There's an audio book of a comic? Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

dihaploidy posted:

Smart Audiobook Player should fit your needs. I've used it for a range of different audio files and it's handled them all fine so far.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ak.alizandro.smartaudiobookplayer&hl=en&gl=US

Seems to work, thanks. Extremely basic which is fine enough for me. Kind of funny that it doesn't use id3 metadata to sort things but tells you to sort them yourself into folders. It does detect the chapters in this m4b which is nice though. No cover art etc. (vlc shows all that but doesn't handle books well. It does show the chapters.)

Incessant Excess posted:

I do, does this work remotely assuming I'm not insane and don't expose plex to the internet? Is there an iphone client as well? My wife would benefit from it as well.