Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OAquinas posted:

Isn't smoking a bridge typically used to hide unit movements and/or obscure the bridge against attacks?

Though why they're just smoking a tiny part of it would be the question...testing?
The bridge is obscured. They seem to think it will help versus guided missiles which uh use GPS not optical vision to point targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

White smoke means a new bridge has been elected

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

NTRabbit posted:

White smoke means a new bridge has been elected

For extra fun, look up the etymology of the word "pontiff"

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

pontoonifex maximus

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

poverty goat posted:

someone should remove all the endorsements of bigotry, misogyny, child abuse, domestic abuse, capital punishment, slavery, patriarchy, etc. from the bible once and for all if they don't want to be associated with it

alternatively don't read the bible like you're some sort of fundamentalist

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They've been deploying smokescreens over the bridge periodically since the beginning of the war. The idea of trying to hide a giant well documented structure jutting out of the ocean with smoke seems farcical, and like the ultimate example of the concealment vs cover problem, but i guess it has some purpose?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

This loving religion chat is worse than tankie thread invaders.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

the popes toes posted:

This loving religion chat is worse than tankie thread invaders.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

They've been deploying smokescreens over the bridge periodically since the beginning of the war. The idea of trying to hide a giant well documented structure jutting out of the ocean with smoke seems farcical, and like the ultimate example of the concealment vs cover problem, but i guess it has some purpose?

Practicing for their upcoming live streamed magic show where they make it dissapear

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1661508713981571073
Mighty POCCNR is falling behind in two important aspects of the war now; artillery and electronic warfare. And everyone knows gently caress all about what to do in this regard on their side.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1661501189488254977
Andrey Morozov (alias Murz) dooming again. Confirms that any reserves of men and materiel that they could have used against Ukraine when they go on the offensive were all wasted in suicidal charges against prepared defenses. All in all, another bleak assessment of their chances.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/guyelster/status/1661631162014486528?s=20

Wagner withdrawing from Bakhmut, handing positions over to regular Russian Army.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1661508713981571073
Mighty POCCNR is falling behind in two important aspects of the war now; artillery and electronic warfare. And everyone knows gently caress all about what to do in this regard on their side.

Interesting that they're using a drone for that, I would have thought counter battery radar would be the default option (although that would be susceptible to EW as well).

zone
Dec 6, 2016

gay picnic defence posted:

Interesting that they're using a drone for that, I would have thought counter battery radar would be the default option (although that would be susceptible to EW as well).

A majority of their counterbattery or regular radar systems were spotted and destroyed by drones or artillery. A few months ago they were pulling up some ancient early cold war era radars up Kherson way. Also recently Ukraine focused quite a bit on identifying and destroying both EW and radar systems.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

zone posted:

A majority of their counterbattery or regular radar systems were spotted and destroyed by drones or artillery. A few months ago they were pulling up some ancient early cold war era radars up Kherson way. Also recently Ukraine focused quite a bit on identifying and destroying both EW and radar systems.

Well finding them and wrecking them shouldn't be too hard with HARMs I guess.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Japan hasn't been making a lot of noise but helping out

Look at that cool truck, that's gotta be way better than a rusty Lada. Not enough of a JDM nerd to immediately tell what it is though. In addition to small equipment they also sent "half-tonne trucks, high mobility vehicles and material handling vehicles." aka forklifts or cranes? No gundams so far though.
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/05/24/7403673/

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1661501189488254977
Andrey Morozov (alias Murz) dooming again. Confirms that any reserves of men and materiel that they could have used against Ukraine when they go on the offensive were all wasted in suicidal charges against prepared defenses. All in all, another bleak assessment of their chances.
Oh no, you hate to see this!

That assumes they have any of those left

Well finding them and wrecking them shouldn't be too hard with HARMs I guess.
Would HARMs work on those? I'd imagine they're way less powerful than S300 or whatever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Japan is not giving much because, legally, they dont have much to give. They are, however, working studiously to change that barrier and raise taxes to cover a new more robust military budget. The people who want those laws gone and Japan to have a regular military again are striking while the geopolitical situation is backing them up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Japan is not giving much because, legally, they dont have much to give. They are, however, working studiously to change that barrier and raise taxes to cover a new more robust military budget because the people who want those laws gone and Japan to have a regular military again are striking while the geopolitical situation is backing them up.
To be clear that definitely wasn't a complaint, I posted that because I think they don't get much credit despite the whole pacifism thing and being on the other side of the world.

They do have some of those "multi-purpose destroyers" though...

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1661644947244695552
Nice try, not good enough. Get used to counting bars in prison.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

To be clear that definitely wasn't a complaint, I posted that because I think they don't get much credit despite the whole pacifism thing and being on the other side of the world.

They do have some of those "multi-purpose destroyers" though...

Sorry if it came off critical, was just trying to highlight why despite Japans interest they arent doing as much as other countries.

If the amount of taxes the Diet is rumored to want passes they will assuredly have enough budget to make the Diver City Gundam fully operational

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Barudak posted:

The people who want those laws gone and Japan to have a regular military again are striking while the geopolitical situation is backing them up.

It is quite a hot take to say that "the bastards want to get back to having a normal military just because it looks like they are going need one in a very short notice".

Not having an army while neighbor to China and Russia has worked wonderfully in the near history, who in their right mind actually wants that risk?

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Russia denies fire at Ministry of Defense, says state media
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/24/europe/fire-moscow-ministry-defense-intl/index.html

Video shows smoke rising from Russian Defense Ministry as Moscow denies fire
https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2023/05/25/russian-defense-ministry-moscow-smoke-ovn-intl-ldn-vpx.cnn

'[...]Video seen by CNN showed smoke surrounding the Defense Ministry building and a woman heard saying, “The smell of burning is horrible.”'

GRECOROMANGRABASS fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 25, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

It is quite a hot take to say that "the bastards want to get back to having a normal military just because it looks like they are going need one in a very short notice".

Not having an army while neighbor to China and Russia has worked wonderfully in the near history, who in their right mind actually wants that risk?

Its a big political thing because Japan already effectively has its own private Article 5 built which is the historical justification for disarmament. When you can offload your military defense to the US and then spend that money instead on whatever you want domestically, not everyone is onboard necessarily with removing their agreement to not have an offensive military.

Its been a heated point of debate since the US installed the current constitution after WWII, and right now the "we must have our own additional military on top of US guarantees" people are feeling like they'll win.

Edit: Its also important to keep on mind the rearmament people are histotically (and currently) linked if not are themselves Japan did nothing wrong in WWII people

Barudak fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 25, 2023

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The bridge is obscured. They seem to think it will help versus guided missiles which uh use GPS not optical vision to point targets.

The terminal seeker of, for example, Storm Shadow uses vision (IIR). It's hard to be accurate enough to hit a bridge support with GPS alone.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1661416790994321412

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1661488245803483136

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1661666029964017665

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Russia denies fire at Ministry of Defense, says state media
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/24/europe/fire-moscow-ministry-defense-intl/index.html

Video shows smoke rising from Russian Defense Ministry as Moscow denies fire
https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2023/05/25/russian-defense-ministry-moscow-smoke-ovn-intl-ldn-vpx.cnn

'[...]Video seen by CNN showed smoke surrounding the Defense Ministry building and a woman heard saying, “The smell of burning is horrible.”'
They're just honoring Kuznetsov carrier, perfectly normal.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

steinrokkan posted:

I think we can assume it's related to whatever military exercise they closed the bridge for. Maybe simulating an accident/fire on the bridge, to drill their rescue operations?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I think we can assume it's related to whatever military exercise they closed the bridge for. Maybe simulating an accident/fire on the bridge, to drill their rescue operations?

with live fire of course

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1661697513965993984
Prisoner exchange took place today. 106 Ukrainian soldiers are coming home.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1661720194673156097?t=FpaT0gquoBl0uL8i8WpapQ&s=19

Moskva 2?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Unless the warship was made out of tissue paper, it's probably okay. Still gonna leave a mark

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Unless the warship was made out of tissue paper, it's probably okay. Still gonna leave a mark

Okay. So it's totally gonna sink then.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to send a remote guided boat bomb if it was only going to scorch the paint. May not have taken major damage but if it got that close and detonated it was likely worthwhile.

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So this one also gets promoted to submarine?

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

they acknowledge a strike: minimal damage
They call it a "small fire": lost with all hands*

*possible spin for this one - the vessel was RIFE with gays celebrating Christmas on the wrong day

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We can't see what sort of damage it did but you might be underestimating it

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

These ramming drone boats don't seem to have had a great track record so far, so I don't expect anything to come of this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A lot of modern warships are not well armored, because modern missile systems make heavy armor on a ship pointless. Survivability is down to compartmentalization, good watertight compartments, well practiced damage control, and strong anti-missile systems to intercept them before they hit. That's what has saved most warships that get hit like the USS Cole and others.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 25, 2023

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tigey posted:

These ramming drone boats don't seem to have had a great track record so far, so I don't expect anything to come of this.

I suspect right now they're just learning how to use them and devising general strategies for the future. The drones will improve rapidly as they zero in on what it needs to be able to do.

The next generation of naval drones will be much more impressive. We may see some before long.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

I suspect right now they're just learning how to use them and devising general strategies for the future. The drones will improve rapidly as they zero in on what it needs to be able to do.

The next generation of naval drones will be much more impressive. We may see some before long.
The main issue with them seems to be that they get spotted and shot to pieces before reaching the target. Not sure what could be done about that - maybe make them more or completely submerged or strap some torpedoes to launch from a distance.

If they actually hit the target, they could probably do some serious damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011