Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Leandros posted:

Somebody should tell that to the Russians!

Unless they are buried and have the shape like an iceberg beneath the surface these aren't going to stop any engineering vehicle that would be used when creating a breach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

in a single line the dragons teeth look pretty useless but if it’s more than two deep i can imagine them rotating and digging in pretty well into the ground

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

My only regret is that I'll be probed during the defence conference which I have to attend, after a mandatory meeting where the coughing chief complained about "the worst flu he'd ever had" and hardly being able to breathe. My two complementary coffees will be like ambrosia as I pass into the Elysian Fields, along with the rest of the unmasked, un-six-foot-distanced representatives of NATO and the MIC.

So you're telling me that now is the time to strike :crnasickos:?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

genericnick posted:

So you're telling me that now is the time to strike :crnasickos:?

I swear it's in a Tom Clancy novel.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

My only regret is that I'll be probed during the defence conference which I have to attend, after a mandatory meeting where the coughing chief complained about "the worst flu he'd ever had" and hardly being able to breathe. My two complementary coffees will be like ambrosia as I pass into the Elysian Fields, along with the rest of the unmasked, un-six-foot-distanced representatives of NATO and the MIC.

is wearing a mask not up to uniform regs anymore

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

is wearing a mask not up to uniform regs anymore

It's been discouraged for B2B2G networking because salespeople are salespeople.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Could anyone repost the holodomor memorial where the plaque in Ukrainian blamed Jews but the English translation omitted it?

Someone asked for proof and I can't find it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Could anyone repost the holodomor memorial where the plaque in Ukrainian blamed Jews but the English translation omitted it?

Someone asked for proof and I can't find it.

That was a banger. Was that the one in Chicago or something?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

That was a banger. Was that the one in Chicago or something?

Pretty sure the claim was it was around lviv

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Unless they are buried and have the shape like an iceberg beneath the surface these aren't going to stop any engineering vehicle that would be used when creating a breach.

Guess what hasn't been part of any aide packages thus far.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i saw a tweet about a captured russian engineering vehicle a couple weeks ago

speng31b
May 8, 2010

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i saw a tweet about a captured russian engineering vehicle a couple weeks ago

sounds like an interesting tweet. imagining what it might look like in my head now

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

OctaMurk posted:

i thought syqs from the other ukraine threads were banned? i knew exactly which poster this was before even checking lol. its funny but this was really bad for the thread last time so imo we should keep syqs to twitter and reddit, theres plenty of content there that wont lead to forums dramas.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

DancingShade posted:

The best dragon's teeth come from real dragons. Tooth Fairy gives you a Leo 2 for each one removed.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CODChimera posted:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1661670760459431937

the counter offensive is looking better and better each day

i guess you're getting through eventually, unless of course there's somebody on the other side with an at missile and they take a potshot during the ~20 seconds you're spinning your tracks in the dirt

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DancingShade posted:

The best dragon's teeth come from real dragons. You just need to give them a gold coin under their pillow for each one.

Good thing that they're restricted from being imported from the west, everyone knows that Zmey's teeth are vastly inferior. Although I guess you do get three times as many per creature.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Frosted Flake posted:

Work didn't splash out on the premium pass with unlimited coffee?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

MonkeyLibFront posted:

even the steel-reinforced, deep-foundation ones the germans had weren't useful fot much, the allies would just plow dirt onto a section and roll straight over them afaik

they don't stop anything that digging a big ditch wouldn't

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Come on Slavs, enough with the boring low tech dragon's tooth trench battle, I want to see high tech M1 vs drone battle in HD.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

FirstnameLastname posted:

even the steel-reinforced, deep-foundation ones the germans had weren't useful fot much, the allies would just plow dirt onto a section and roll straight over them afaik

they don't stop anything that digging a big ditch wouldn't

They put all of those dragon teeth just at the edge of lines of artillery and machine gun nests, I don't think the point is to stop attackers so much as slow them down long enough to pick them off

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it will be nice if in a million years the post-apocalypse sentiment rodent people can make habitats among those dragons teeth

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

DancingShade posted:

Guess what hasn't been part of any aide packages thus far.

All the Tank recovery variants have dozer blades and so do the MBTs that have been given.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CODChimera posted:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1661670760459431937

the counter offensive is looking better and better each day

when the enemy is making a mistake the first thing you should do is go on social media to mock them about it and point out the location and what vehicles you're training to break through with - Sun Tzu

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

it will be nice if in a million years the post-apocalypse sentiment rodent people can make habitats among those dragons teeth

are they still normal rat sized?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Marenghi posted:

Work didn't splash out on the premium pass with unlimited coffee?

Not for me.

Anyway, thought for sure we had a combat engineer or two ITT but WRT to field fortifications the short explanation is not that they can't be breached, but that breaching them exposes you to fire. An obstacle is useless unless observed. Any heavy obstacle that requires specialized equipment to move, even if it's just huge blocks of concrete, means that the engineers have to go out into an observed, and usually pre-registered, area to clear it. It all comes back to the crew served weapons thing.

Barbed wire by itself - not much of an obstacle
Dragoons Teeth or Czech hedgehogs by themselves - not much of an obstacle
A deep ditch by itself - not much of an obstacle

but given that cutting wire, bulldozing the anti-tank obstacles or filling/bridging the ditch takes time and exposes you to the enemy, they become very effective.

The reason armoured engineering vehicles are valuable is that they allow you to work - and remember engineering is hard, time consuming, work - under harassing artillery fire or sporadic small arms fire, where a bunch of guys trying to erect a bridge, or fill a ditch or whatever, could not effectively work under even that amount of fire.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:59 on May 25, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1661748033682546688?s=20

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the great pyramids are actually just leftover dragons teeth from the titanomachy

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Sappers are part of the Grenade Club, also bear the battle honour "Ubique", and they don't seem to ever get their due unless it's combat engineers saying they're "basically infantry".

Not that it's a contributing factor, but in Combat Mission and other games with a short time frame, yeah they're just lovely rifle sections, and their companies and battalions don't have heavy weapons. It's when you think of them clearing minefields, rubble, obstacles, bridging, digging in etc. in those longer time interval (?) games that you can see their value. Probably, like a lot of military things we've talked about, there's no way to make that exciting in pop culture - other than EOD guys in the GWOT.

Aside, we've had a 30 year institutional fight over Infantry Pioneers, with the Infantry and Engineers fighting over who owns that responsibility, and I don't even know how you would explain that to a normal person.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

They put all of those dragon teeth just at the edge of lines of artillery and machine gun nests, I don't think the point is to stop attackers so much as slow them down long enough to pick them off

nah they slapped em down in big lines like someone playing a tower defense game at the siegfried line

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

My only regret is that I'll be probed during the defence conference

drat, defence conferences are hosed up

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
can't upload multiple but yea big af lines

what's a place to host images now that imgur is trash btw does anyone know or do I just need to buy webhosting again

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
last 1 I had to shrink it to make it fit but you can see it running all along the hill in the back left and a second parallel layer out of the shot

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

nah they slapped em down in big lines like someone playing a tower defense game at the siegfried line

No I am talking about the way the Russians have deployed them, if you look at sat photos the dragons teeth are just at the edge of huge lines of artillery and machine gun nests

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There's a case study of the defence of Germany around here somewhere, but the very short answer is that after the Battle of the Bulge they didn't have enough troops to man, let alone effectively cover obstacles, the frontier and relied on (often unobserved) obstacles as a substitute - which meant they were completely ineffective.

At critical road and rail junctions where the defences were manned and obstacles covered, it was usually by a small (platoon - company strength) group of Volkssturm and Hitler Youth. It goes almost without saying that they were usually displaced from their roadblocks in about as long as it took for artillery or fighter bombers to arrive on the scene.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

when the enemy is making a mistake the first thing you should do is go on social media to mock them about it and point out the location and what vehicles you're training to break through with - Sun Tzu

Thinking about that New Yorker article where they had to cancel an attack because one of the soldiers posted about it on social media... If I were a conscript that didn't want to die in a muddy field that might be a good way of getting the attack cancelled. It's certainly something that Blackadder might try.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

can't upload multiple but yea big af lines

what's a place to host images now that imgur is trash btw does anyone know or do I just need to buy webhosting again

Catbox.moe

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You could say that ideology demanded that every inch of German soil be defended, which was impossible, because the military had been fought out on a suicidal offensive, which ideology had also demanded.

The Wehrmacht of November 1944 probably could have held a line somewhere, though again not along the entire German frontier, some ground would have to be given to shorten it, but after the Bulge, no chance.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

No I am talking about the way the Russians have deployed them, if you look at sat photos the dragons teeth are just at the edge of huge lines of artillery and machine gun nests

oooh whoops my b. link to sat pics? i haven't seen how they've been using them since they very first started and had the hollow ones collapsing in on themselves lol

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

oooh whoops my b. link to sat pics? i haven't seen how they've been using them since they very first started and had the hollow ones collapsing in on themselves lol

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/10719658/satellite-pics-putins-dragons-teeth-defences-ukraine-offensive/

Ignoring all the tripe from the sun, you can see the trenches and artillery emplacements in the distance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

You could say that ideology demanded that every inch of German soil be defended, which was impossible, because the military had been fought out on a suicidal offensive, which ideology had also demanded.

The Wehrmacht of November 1944 probably could have held a line somewhere, though again not along the entire German frontier, some ground would have to be given to shorten it, but after the Bulge, no chance.
"dont care, every inch. were called the nazis, not the somezis." - German Dictator Adolf Hitler's alleged remarks upon first hearing reports that Allied ground forces allied have reached the Rhine