Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

Groovelord Neato posted:

The only good extraction game is Dark and Darker and Nexon will likely kill it via lawsuit.

I was so disappointed when I heard that it was in legal limbo. Rather than having trade croutons for parts to build a still to make toilet wine or build a Bitcoin mining rig or whatever the hell else Tarkov wants you to do you actually just played the drat game and had fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
HAH that unlisted Marathon "7777" count-up video reached its goal and then just ended.

At least I'm being recommended Civvie's Unreal Megaspecial now.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah it moved everyone to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrv0dpztryY
"What is Marathon? | Somewhere In The Heavens - ViDoc"
which will premiere in 10 minutes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Oh I see, mine just shuffled me to some old Civvie content

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

lastly Forgive Me Father got a balance update to lessen the bullet sponginess of enemies across the board, which may give some indication as to how they'll be designing FMF2 which they recently announced
Thank goodness, I tapped out in the last episode because the hordes of cultists had gone and instead it nothing but last-tier tanky bullshit combined with Xen-level platforming.

I'm almost through HROT of which I have mixed feelings; I like the Czechness but less so the Quakeness. The latter is more a me thing though, never cared for Quake, it's why I'm lukewarm about Dusk. Thankfully HROT gets more Czech as it goes on, I don't understand most of it but it's definitely unique.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they have nothing to show of marathon besides CGI trailer footage and concept art stills huh

that's not coming out this year

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Well, it was a trailer. Cool looking S'pht though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I'm pistol starting Doom E4M2 on Ultra Violence. is this actually possible? it's gotta be right? I'm just really bad at the game?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

chaosapiant posted:

So I'm pistol starting Doom E4M2 on Ultra Violence. is this actually possible? it's gotta be right? I'm just really bad at the game?

You're not really bad, pistol starting E4M2 is tough.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Boltgun owns and I really enjoy that the purge in the first level is a facsimile of E1M1.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I mean, Im sure it can be done but also I cant imagine the suffering required to get there

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

It's definitely doable--I did it while achievement hunting in the BFG edition a while back--but like other people are saying, it takes a bit of gusto.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

if you want to know the trick:

shoot the shotgunner ahead of you, get the shotgun, jump OFF the platform. down there in the lava is a rad suit, soul sphere, and some armor. get all that, then if you go to the east side there's a hidden passage leading you back up to the starting point. continue from there. it seems harder than E4M1, but is actually much more generous.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 25, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

haveblue posted:

I can't help but be hyped for Marathon just because it's Marathon, and because this is coming out so long after the extraction shooter wave passed means they may have put more thought into it and come up with something that avoids the problems that have been mentioned already.
idk. i could've said that about redfall being way late to the 4 player co-op looter shooter and Arkane having a pedigree, and that just ended up being what everyone expected: a game way too late to the party by a developer that lost all spirit in what they were doing

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol I watched the Marathon teaser. Looks nothing like how it should but I guess they didn't care since how many people recognize the name. Could've put any name on that.

Hogama posted:

Yeah even though they haven't made a Marathon game in decades this still feels wrong. Like if Call of Duty had died and they brought it back as a retro throwback 2.5D boomer shooter where you fight aliens (yes I know that they made a COD where you fight aliens).

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah it's weird that it somehow kept a reputation for being some horrible cash-in garbage when it was actually a perfectly fine Starbreeze project. It was no Command and Conquer mobile game or even a :nms: Thief 4 :nms:
The Syndicate reboot was a genre shift from action-RTS to FPS but it was still the same setting, and the 4p coop was really fun, like a cyberpunk Payday.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 25, 2023

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

catlord posted:

I like the idea of a dungeoncrawl in a ghost colony ship with hosed up weirdness. I'm not interested in playing a GaaS multiplayer game, but I think they can be fun to watch, so maybe it'll work for me there. I wonder if it'll actually have anything to do with the originals or if it's all for name recognition (lol).

"Dungeon crawl in a ghost colony ship with hosed up weirdness" is a game I'd absolutely play the poo poo out of and nothing in the FPS sphere has really nailed it yet; the closest I can think of are Scavenger SV-4 (atmospheric as hell, but takes place mostly on the surface of a planet) and Void Bastards (fun, but not particularly spooky). I want a game that's Scavenger SV-4 does Cryptark, dammit.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ToxicFrog posted:

"Dungeon crawl in a ghost colony ship with hosed up weirdness" is a game I'd absolutely play the poo poo out of and nothing in the FPS sphere has really nailed it yet; the closest I can think of are Scavenger SV-4 (atmospheric as hell, but takes place mostly on the surface of a planet) and Void Bastards (fun, but not particularly spooky). I want a game that's Scavenger SV-4 does Cryptark, dammit.

While Games Workshop is in the mood they could make a co-op FPS Space Hulk

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

While Games Workshop is in the mood they could make a co-op FPS Space Hulk

They did, it’s called Space Hulk Deathwing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, now I have this dream of something that's like, System Shock meets Rendezvous with Rama.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Man I really liked Cryptark, but the protracted development of their FPS spinoff "Gunhead" has me a little concerned at this point.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

They did, it’s called Space Hulk Deathwing.

oh

Well, looking at reviews, they could try making a good one!! :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
As a reminder, the original Marathon trilogy is freely downloadable with Aleph One, a modern source port. You'll probably want to change some settings, though - set "Mouse Feel" to modern if it isn't the default already, and check "Override FOV" and set the FOV to something sane, because the default is probably going to give you motion sickness.

There's also a bunch of standalone TCs to check out, at least a couple of which have the smudgy thumb prints of people from this thread on them. Some of them might be hard to download on account of getting Slashdotted by newfound attention, though.

If you prefer consoles, there's a decent Goon-made port to Xbox 360 that's backwards compatible with modern Xboxes. You'll probably wanna mess with the FOV settings in the options, mind.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Hogama posted:

"You make the best things on the shoulders of giants. And in our case, those giants are Halo and Destiny."

I feel like there's a game that got left out of that sentence.

todd_777
Dec 31, 2008

The Kins posted:

There's also a bunch of standalone TCs to check out, at least a couple of which have the smudgy thumb prints of people from this thread on them. Some of them might be hard to download on account of getting Slashdotted by newfound attention, though.

Believe it or not, Simplici7y being down has nothing to do with the new announcement and everything to do with the fact that Simplici7y is always going down.

A decent chunk of the mods you can't currently get on that list are available on moddb:

https://www.moddb.com/tags/marathon-infinity

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I don't know where Boltgun talk goes, so I'll just post everywhere, cuz it's awesome

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

1stGear posted:

"You make the best things on the shoulders of giants. And in our case, those giants are Halo and Destiny."

Yeah, and that game is

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
jason jones is too much of a coward to fund oni 2

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

1stGear posted:

Oni?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Minotaur: The Labyrinths of Crete!

Assepoester posted:

Yeah even though they haven't made a Marathon game in decades this still feels wrong. Like if Call of Duty had died and they brought it back as a retro throwback 2.5D boomer shooter where you fight aliens (yes I know that they made a COD where you fight aliens).

The Syndicate reboot was a genre shift from action-RTS to FPS but it was still the same setting, and the 4p coop was really fun, like a cyberpunk Payday.

I think to publishers/developers there clearly is value to re-using a name for a new IP instead of coming up with a new one to stand out in the crowd (with the added benefit of having to do less paperwork). I think that is the reason Bethesda went to Arkana and said "make a game, call it Prey, good luck".

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 25, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Played an hour of Boltgun last night. It’s pretty fun. Text size for your floaty helper is way way too small on steam deck and there’s no way that I can find to make it bigger, which is a shame given how many other good accessibility options there are. Frame rate is all over the place at times. It looks good and the sounds are cool.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Myth!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I like the floating skull guide's cheerful quips. Would quite like one as a pet tbh

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BONESTORM posted:

I was so disappointed when I heard that it was in legal limbo. Rather than having trade croutons for parts to build a still to make toilet wine or build a Bitcoin mining rig or whatever the hell else Tarkov wants you to do you actually just played the drat game and had fun.

The last two multiplayer games I got really into were Gundam Evolution (despite not being a gundam or anime guy at all) and Dark and Darker. I'm cursed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bungie doesn’t have the rights to Myth and Oni any more, they got traded away to Take 2 during the Microsoft buyout

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

haveblue posted:

Bungie doesn’t have the rights to Myth and Oni any more, they got traded away to Take 2 during the Microsoft buyout

Oni was a boring, boring game anyway. Yeah, let's hire architects instead of level designers, oops, our levels are huge and empty and dull

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I think one of the problems a modern Marathon would have to solve is accessibility. I don't mean that a 2.5D labyrinth scares people off (though it would in Marathon's case) but that all the good stuff, the story and the way it was told, was hidden behind a shooter that was never quite as fun to play as Doom or other shooters of the era.

They solved the issue in Halo by vastly simplifying the story so that it could fit a linear narrative and make it part of the actual gameplay, but Halo never reached the heights of Marathon's story.

Then they ran face first into the same problem with Destiny. Game has some seriously out there narrative that reminds me of Marathon in all the right ways - but the way that it cribs its structure from MMOs make it even harder to get I to for new players than Marathon was. For all the effort that went into navigating your way to a console hidden by madmen, at least it was a stable part of the game. In Destiny 2, I played an introduction that wasn't followed up on and spend two days fulfilling random quests before learning that there were actual campaigns with story that I could play - as long as I didn't mind that the central hub where I started those stories was already changed in ways that would only be caused by events I was yet to witness at the climax of said storylines. I had to search out about four hours of lore before I had an idea of what was going on. It's the only MMO I got into besides early WoW, but then life happened and I cannot for the life of me bring myself to pick it up again because I know that I'm going to have to play catch-up with the story for days.

And then we get new Marathon, and it seems like the stars are finally right. Games like Dark Souls have primed players for environmental and fractured storytelling. There's a shortage of open ended singleplayer shooters, and a strong nostalgia for the classic "boomer shooters" that the original Marathon was part of. Hell, even the term Doom-clone could become meaningful again, as shown by how many of these games are compared to the specific rhythm and approach of Doom 2016 and (in lesser volume) Eternal. A new Marathon makes sense under the same premise as the original: "Doom with a story", "Doom" in this case referring to the Bethesda titles and "story" being sold as Bungie Space Opera.

Nope, we get a multiplayer title whose story is only told so far through an ARG and which explicitly has no singleplayer. And while the promise of returning to that fictional universe is tempting, I also know that I can't commit to the season-based storytelling of games like this so I'm just going to be lost again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

oh

Well, looking at reviews, they could try making a good one!! :v:

The Enhanced Edition is quite fun, the levels look great and blasting Genestealers is entertaining.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Hogama posted:

Yeah, there was some tomfoolery on the site people found real quick and working through it found the link to the stream.
https://hearoursilence.com/4673c/hearoursilence_4673c.pdf

I meant less to disparage it as a game and was more riding the mental train of thought between longtime fan expectation and the actual presentation and game style shift. Could have used the X-Com reboot, too, though we never quite got that initial concept and The Bureau finally came out after the closer-to-traditional Jake Solomon project.

I actually liked the vibe of the first trailer for nu x-com fps. Weird ink body snatchers and cubic monsters is a vibe. Detective & research work to figure out how to kill it is the soul of X-Com. I think in a post-control world (and not called loving X-COM! The optics on THAT choice after we already had an awful fps game... :psyduck: ) it could work as a superb horror fps.

kirbysuperstar posted:

jason jones is too much of a coward to fund oni 2

I loving know right?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Thyrork posted:

I actually liked the vibe of the first trailer for nu x-com fps. Weird ink body snatchers and cubic monsters is a vibe. Detective & research work to figure out how to kill it is the soul of X-Com. I think in a post-control world (and not called loving X-COM! The optics on THAT choice after we already had an awful fps game... :psyduck: ) it could work as a superb horror fps.

I loving know right?

Yeah, I was much more open to it than most despite badly wanting the proper turn based game we eventually got. I feel like they could have handled things much better by announcing the more traditional game first - they were both in production at the same time weren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You could make a spritual Oni 2 if you weren't a coward, it's just Ghost in the Shell with all the numbers filed off (which is why I bought it tbqh)