Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Robot Jones posted:

Not anymore- the current governor is a Democrat, and a fairly progressive one at that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maura_Healey

I can't imagine any Republican that makes it through a gubernatorial primary in MA winning a general election anytime soon.

Yeah, there is a Democratic Governor now. She's been in office for 4 months.

But, there was only one Democratic Governor of Massachusetts before her in the last 33 years.

Gumball Gumption posted:

That's not actually the reason, traditionally our state legislature will be the second or third state to adopt new laws, letting places like California or Minnesota be the first to pass them. Once we see it works in those states our legislature is pretty willing to adopt them. It's also a lot more complicated than just "they have republican governors" since Heeley is the governor now and you had things like MassHealth which was a blueprint for the ACA under Mitt Romney.

I know it's not just that. I was just making a little joke about Massachusetts having brain poisoning and their love of Republican Governors, but extremely blue legislatures. It's a very New England phenomenon, so there is obviously something in the water that is causing brain poisoning.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, there is a Democratic Governor now. She's been in office for 4 months.

But, there was only one Democratic Governor of Massachusetts before her in the last 33 years.

I know it's not just that. I was just making a little joke about Massachusetts having brain poisoning and their love of Republican Governors, but extremely blue legislatures.

Please don't poo poo post in D&D.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Gumball Gumption posted:

That's not actually the reason, traditionally our state legislature will be the second or third state to adopt new laws, letting places like California or Minnesota be the first to pass them. Once we see it works in those states our legislature is pretty willing to adopt them. It's also a lot more complicated than just "they have republican governors" since Heeley is the governor now and you had things like MassHealth which was a blueprint for the ACA under Mitt Romney.

Its more then that. The DFL in Minnesota had the state senate for 40 some odd years before 2010. 2011 to 2013 left scars on many DFLers because even though we barely had a DFL governor we had republicans gain control of the state house and senate. 2013 comes around and Gov Dayton felt like he needed to pick a fight with the DFL in the house and senate for stupid reasons, some very good legislation was passed but its viewed as a missed opportunity. 2015 though 2022 Republicans have a 1 seat majority in the State Senate, no major legislation passes. DFL takes the trifecta in 2023 and they are going to strike while the iron is hot.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

The Massachusetts "let's have it both ways with a "reasonable" republican exec" was super loving real and I'm glad it finally died

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

morothar posted:

See, I’m not sure I understand why that should be true for medium-sized, rich states. Europe has small countries and big countries, and basically all of them have some form of public health care that’s cheaper and provides better aggregate outcomes.

I’m sure there are lots of articles on this, but a couple of specific reasons off the top of my head. The first reason is it’s a lot easier to move state to state than country to country. Because single payer healthcare will require a substantial tax increase to fund, I can guarantee a lot of [healthy] people would just move to a different state.

The second reason is because people travel between states all the time, especially when you live close to the state border. So you have either no healthcare coverage in another state or the resident’s state reimbursing the full amount to other states. If it ends up being the second part of that, not only would that be ridiculously expensive, but you’ll probably have a lot of hospitals price gouging those patients since their state is footing the bill

I’m sure there’s a lot of other issues too that I’m not aware of, such as regulations. But I can’t imagine a single state being able to implement a single payer system independently of the rest of the country.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Kalit posted:

I’m sure there are lots of articles on this, but a couple of specific reasons off the top of my head. The first reason is it’s a lot easier to move state to state than country to country. Because single payer healthcare will require a substantial tax increase to fund, I can guarantee a lot of [healthy] people would just move to a different state.

The second reason is because people travel between states all the time, especially when you live close to the state border. So you have either no healthcare coverage in another state or the resident’s state reimbursing the full amount to other states. If it ends up being the second part of that, not only would that be ridiculously expensive, but you’ll probably have a lot of hospitals price gouging those patients since their state is footing the bill

I’m sure there’s a lot of other issues too that I’m not aware of, such as regulations. But I can’t imagine a single state being able to implement a single payer system independently of the rest of the country.

Minnesota is opening the MinnesotaCare health insurance system to all residents of the state and to have it be offered by all employers during open enrollment in 2027.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

UKJeff posted:

Really? As in, a democrat or left-leaning politician? I honestly can’t think of a single case. It’s always been “when they go low, we go high” and stuff like that.

John Fetterman and AOC are really the only ones I can think of, and their dunking on their opponents has been well received. I don’t care much for Fetterman but him relentlessly owning Dr Oz ruled

Rahm Emmanuel and Anthony Weiner were notorious assholes when they were in the house, and they were pretty good at getting things done. Rahm should have stayed in the house instead of moving to be chief of staff for Obama, and then a lovely mayor of Chicago, and Weiner should have kept his weiner in his pants.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

karthun posted:

Minnesota is opening the MinnesotaCare health insurance system to all residents of the state and to have it be offered by all employers during open enrollment in 2027.

MinnesotaCare (and similar state Medicaid programs) are not even close to a single payer healthcare system. It still has premiums/copays/deductibles/etc

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kalit posted:

MinnesotaCare (and similar state Medicaid programs) are not even close to a single payer healthcare system. It still has premiums/copays/deductibles/etc

Single-payer just means there is one single payer for all insured services for all members that negotiates bulk payment rates. It doesn't mean there are no co-pays or deductibles. Medicare has copays and deductibles and many single-payer systems in other countries still have small co-pays.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

That's not actually the reason, traditionally our state legislature will be the second or third state to adopt new laws, letting places like California or Minnesota be the first to pass them.

You're welcome.

Given how dysfunctional CA state politics are, it's depressing to think we're the vanguard for anyone.

I'm genuinely curious how well this sort of attitude would play today. I think it requires a majority of opinion that I'm not sure we have. It'd be incredibly refreshing.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Not to be all Massachusetts's guy but there is also legislation looking into reducing work hours to 30 from 35. Now normally one would be like, yah some lefty from Cambridge did this but it was a State Rep. from the Plymouth County area, so he's pretty moderate and makes me wonder if that is going to change soon too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You're welcome.

Given how dysfunctional CA state politics are, it's depressing to think we're the vanguard for anyone.

I'm genuinely curious how well this sort of attitude would play today. I think it requires a majority of opinion that I'm not sure we have. It'd be incredibly refreshing.

I think it would *make* a majority. The bigger issue would be how the media would treat it. It'd make fox voters even more feral but they're already pressing the pedal to the floor so no matter. Two years ago I'd have said it was the perfect attitude for Twitter but

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ron DeSantis' campaign launch disaster was preventable, but Elon did no advance prep work and just assumed everything would be fine because there was nobody working there to test it.

Musk also has been trying to save money on data storage and shut down one of Twitter's major data centers months ago. This reduced Twitter's max capacity and 600,000 simultaneous users was too much and crashed the iOS app and browser player. They had to cap the audience at 275,000 at kick out almost 2/3 of the people who came to listen to restore the service.

Under Musk, Twitter now has planned "site reliability issues" phases each month. Twitter current has 433% more full downtime under Musk than it did last year and part of that is due to getting rid of server capacity to save money and instead find ways to manage the traffic and plan around 4-5 periods per month where the site will be down. In addition, they have slashed the teams that handle their cloud servers and completely eliminated the team that was supposed to oversee and manage all the teams at their data centers based on the idea that by shutting down 1 of their 3 major data centers, that everyone could just run their data center as its own thing separate from the other.

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1661522563661721600

quote:

Elon Musk’s Event With Ron DeSantis Exposes Twitter’s Weaknesses

Hosting Florida’s governor, Ron DeSantis, in a Twitter audio event on Wednesday to announce his presidential run was supposed to be a triumphant moment for Elon Musk, the owner of Twitter.

Instead, the event began with more than 20 minutes of technical glitches, hot mic moments and drowned-out and half-said conversations before the livestream abruptly cut out. Minutes later, the livestream restarted as hundreds of thousands of listeners tried to tune in. Mr. DeSantis had not said a word at that point.

“That was insane, sorry,” Mr. Musk said.

Behind the stop-start Twitter Space, an audio-only livestream on the social network, was a company that has undergone major changes in recent months. Since Mr. Musk bought Twitter last year for $44 billion, he has reshaped it by cutting more than 75 percent of its work force, changing the platform’s speech rules and reinstating suspended users. Outages have been on the rise, as have bugs that have made Twitter less usable.

The technical problems on Wednesday showed how Twitter is operating far from seamlessly, turning what was supposed to be a crowning event for Mr. Musk into something of an embarrassment.

Mr. DeSantis’s announcement had been an opportunity for Mr. Musk, an unpredictable executive with interests in many fields, to promote his multiple agendas. Those included a political coming-out for the billionaire, who has flirted with right-wing accounts and politics for years on Twitter but has never embraced a presidential candidate the way he has the Republican governor. And it was supposed to be a way for Mr. Musk to advance his business interests by highlighting Twitter, which he is trying to turn around.

Yet as the Twitter audio livestream faltered, the reaction — including on Twitter itself — was shock and scorn that what should have been a carefully choreographed announcement of a presidential run had stumbled so badly. The hashtag #Desaster appeared on many posts. Others took potshots at the failure, with President Biden’s personal @JoeBiden account tweeting a donation link with the words, “This link works.”

David Sacks, a tech executive who moderated the audio event with Mr. DeSantis and who is a confidant of Mr. Musk’s, tried downplaying the technical problems.

“We got so many people here that we are kind of melting the servers, which is a good sign,” he said during the first livestream, which sputtered out.

Mr. Musk did not respond to a request for comment.

Inside Twitter, employees had been alarmed by Mr. Musk’s turn into politics and whether the social media site could handle the influx of traffic, three employees said. There was no planning for what are known as “site reliability issues” for the event with Mr. DeSantis, two of the people said, and workers were prepared to do whatever they could to keep the social network running.

When the audio event began at about 6 p.m. Eastern time, more than 600,000 listeners joined, causing Twitter’s mobile apps and website to sputter or crash, two employees said. Mr. Musk later said that his account, which has 140 million followers and which promoted and launched the livestream, had brought in too many listeners and that Twitter’s systems had been unable to handle them.

Twitter’s systems recovered, the employees said, but the restarted livestream with Mr. DeSantis had a smaller audience, with about 275,000 listeners.

Even before the glitches, the event had drawn criticism, especially since Mr. Musk has said Twitter is a politically neutral platform. Michael Santoro, a professor of management and entrepreneurship at Santa Clara University, said the event “undermines” the claim of impartiality.

“As the owner of the company, he’s using major resources and power and outreach of the company to express any view,” Mr. Santoro said of Mr. Musk.

But others said they were not surprised that Mr. Musk was trying to mold the social platform in his own image and beliefs.

A self-proclaimed moderate, Mr. Musk voted for Democratic presidential candidates like Barack Obama and Mr. Biden. But in recent years he has taken a rightward turn, which has been laid out in full on his Twitter profile. He has posted critically about what he calls the “woke mind virus” affecting Democratic politics, has shared right-wing conspiracy theories and has repeatedly praised Mr. DeSantis for nearly a year.

Jason Goldman, a former vice president of product at Twitter, compared Mr. Musk’s moves with Twitter to the creation of an echo chamber where has put his own interests front and center.

“He is the moderator, and the content surfaced and promoted is that which is most pleasing to him,” Mr. Goldman said.

In recent months, fears about Twitter’s reliability have surfaced repeatedly. After Mr. Musk began laying off thousands of its employees last year, many users were so alarmed by the cuts that #RIPTwitter and #GoodbyeTwitter began trending. The company staved off any shutdowns and continued operating, but outages rose.

In February alone, Twitter experienced at least four widespread outages, compared with nine in all of 2022, according to NetBlocks, an organization that tracks internet outages.

The company’s technology operations have become more precarious since November, current and former employees have said. Mr. Musk also ended operations at one of Twitter’s three main data centers, slashed the teams that work on the company’s back-end technology such as servers and cloud storage, and eliminated leaders overseeing that area.

On Wednesday after the Twitter Space restarted, Mr. DeSantis finally got the chance to speak. He made his stump speech, then complimented Mr. Musk for buying Twitter. He also praised Mr. Musk, who often declares his support for free speech, for that commitment and said the Twitter owner would surely make money off his investment in the company.

Mr. Musk is “a good businessman,” Mr. DeSantis said. And Twitter Spaces, he later added, “is a great platform.”

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
somehow a doubplepost

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Single-payer just means there is one single payer for all insured services for all members that negotiates bulk payment rates. It doesn't mean there are no co-pays or deductibles. Medicare has copays and deductibles and many single-payer systems in other countries still have small co-pays.

Oh really? I was thinking all payments came from a single source (i.e. the government). Thank you for the correction. I guess it’s still split between federal and state government, so it’s still not a single payer system. And while it’s better than no coverage, it’s not a great system either, so guess I wouldn’t care if it was technically single payer or not

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean Leon is right about single payer not precluding out of pocket costs, but MNCare is not single payer because there is still private insurance in MN, with which the program “competes.” It’s a public option. Which is a good thing, and I wish the ACA had had one, but it’s not single payer - which I agree would be impractical for a state to do alone, for the reasons Kalit laid out.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

Rahm Emmanuel and Anthony Weiner were notorious assholes when they were in the house, and they were pretty good at getting things done. Rahm should have stayed in the house instead of moving to be chief of staff for Obama, and then a lovely mayor of Chicago, and Weiner should have kept his weiner in his pants.

Al Franken as well. Which highlights another aspect of Democrats' loud assholes -- the Dems at least make an attempt to police their own, provided they don't become President. Sometimes.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Kalit posted:

Oh really? I was thinking all payments came from a single source (i.e. the government). Thank you for the correction. I guess it’s still split between federal and state government, so it’s still not a single payer system. And while it’s better than no coverage, it’s not a great system either, so guess I wouldn’t care if it was technically single payer or not

The main draw single payer has when dealing with insurers is that it prevents them from doing collusive poo poo to arbitrarily keep the prices of drugs high for some set of users despite the fact that they sell the same drug at low prices to other people with the same problem. For medical insurance specifically, they have what are called a formulary (like, a list of which medications can be covered for which diagnoses without getting the PCP involved with prior authorization (usually this is like, the doctor sending medical information expressing why a certain drug on the formulary can't be used with a bunch of bullshit added in so that the insurer backs down and says "okay fine we'll pay for this just this once.")

When the body doing the bargaining against insurers (who, remember, exist to charge money and pay out as little as possible) is several different groups, the insurers have the leverage because they can always point to their competitors and say "look, we don't offer this drug for this disease because none of these other places do, and we can provide this other med to you (that we have a sweetheart deal with the producer of) to you at a savings to the consumer" -- which is one of those things that tends to be technically true, but belies the fact that they can only do this in places like the US, where the upcharge fees on medicine can be several thousand percent. This is largely due to the supply side of the parmaceutical corporations having the near universal backing of the US government, and so fundamentally private individuals are attempting to argue against two monolithic entities (the pharma and the government via the insurer).

If, however, the government were not in the business of leaning on the scales in favor of pharmacy profit, then the governmental body would be the negotiator on the client's side. Or "single payer" as it were. Most countries simply don't allow drugs to be sold to their citizens for fees that are so extreme, and the US could do that too. So when people talk about single payer, this is what they're referring to. The pharmas going to the insurers to price hike, and the insurers being told by the conglomerate single payer to cram it and pay up.

tl;dr private insurance is a scam that, like guns, is way worse in the US than in most other places, and single payer structure with their removal in mind would help a lot.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kalit posted:

Yeah, there are places that eliminate the coinsurance, deductibles, premiums, etc. But, most single-payer systems have some cost-sharing.

For example, here's the current cost-sharing info for Medicare Part B:

Premium: $164.90
Deductible: $226
Co-Pays: Generally none, but there are a few very specific circumstances.
Co-Insurance: 20% of cost after meeting deductible as co-insurance.
Prescription Drugs: Not included in part B and costs are variable depending on your Medicare Part D plan, type of drug, and pharmacy.

Other:

- Premium is based partially on your income, so higher-income individuals will pay a higher Medicare premium.

- Low-income Medicare beneficiaries can become "dual eligible" and qualify for both Medicaid and Medicare. In this scenario, Medicaid will pay for your Medicare premiums and co-insurance costs.

https://www.medicare.gov/basics/get-started-with-medicare/medicare-basics/what-does-medicare-cost

Here's some for France's national health insurance plan (which generally has the lowest cost-sharing in healthcare among major countries)

Premium: None
Deductible: None
Co-Pays: Minimum 1 euro + co-insurance.
Co-Insurance: 20% for inpatient stays, 30% for outpatient doctor and dentist visits.
Prescription Drugs: Variable rate for drugs, but a minimum of 15% co-insurance for drugs on the national formulary list and 100% coinsurance for drugs not covered under the national formulary list.

Other:

- There are means-tested exemptions to coinsurance based on income. Roughly 9% of France qualifies for the coinsurance exemption.

- 95% of French citizens have supplemental private insurance that covers the co-insurance of the national healthcare plan and elective procedures not covered by the national healthcare plan.

https://www.commonwealthfund.org/international-health-policy-center/countries/france

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 25, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

For example, here's the current cost-sharing info for Medicare Part B:

Deductible: $226

When I was a medical biller Medicare part B's deductible was like $168 or something, making this a 34% increase in 8 years. Per the BLS inflation calculator, $168 8 years ago is $214.28 now, so I guess the deductible going up that much really isn't out of line with basic inflation. I'm guessing the deductible is tied to inflation in some way?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Judgy Fucker posted:

When I was a medical biller Medicare part B's deductible was like $168 or something, making this a 34% increase in 8 years. Per the BLS inflation calculator, $168 8 years ago is $214.28 now, so I guess the deductible going up that much really isn't out of line with basic inflation. I'm guessing the deductible is tied to inflation in some way?

CMS uses a formula to set it that does include inflation.

They lowered the premium by about $7 this past year even though inflation was very high, so it is not directly tied to inflation, but it does include inflation. I believe the specific formula is based on actuarial rates that estimate how long current beneficiaries will live, how much money they are estimating to take in, how many people will be beneficiaries, and inflation. Then, they use that formula to determine what the deductible should be.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
11-year-old Mississippi boy who was shot by responding police officer after calling 911 is released from the hospital
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/24/us/mississippi-police-shooting-11-year-old-boy/index.html

Cops are demons. This kid called 911 for help when his mother was being beaten by her partner, and then the cops come and shoot the kid.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Trump's spoken about the DeSantis-Musk announcement:
https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1661524647588900865?s=20

The new Jeb! has been crowned, everyone.

I'm actually mad at these terrible primary challengers now because they're going to give Trump a chance to look mildly impressive by completely dunking on them. He didn't have to go anywhere near this hard to humiliate DeSantis, but he sure went hard.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yah the MBTA is...a whole kettle of fish.

Single payer will be hard for any state to do because of the costs associated that really only a the federal government can afford. But at least at 400% above the Federal Poverty level you are eligible for Health Connector programs.

Is the Health Connector program the state's Medicaid plan, a public option with provider rates set by the state, or something else?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Is the Health Connector program the state's Medicaid plan, a public option with provider rates set by the state, or something else?

It's Romneycare.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

UKJeff posted:

Really? As in, a democrat or left-leaning politician? I honestly can’t think of a single case. It’s always been “when they go low, we go high” and stuff like that.

John Fetterman and AOC are really the only ones I can think of, and their dunking on their opponents has been well received. I don’t care much for Fetterman but him relentlessly owning Dr Oz ruled

Katie Porter's pretty good at that, but will likely lose her Senate race to establishment-backed Schiff, and then her House seat will be gone as well. Cori Bush has her moments, as do Omar & Tlaib. But yeah, they're few & far between, and don't get much press when they rock the boat. (eta: unless it's negative, fake controversies as with Omar.)

I can think of several candidates, like Nina Turner, Ben Jealous & India Walton, who were stymied either by the establishment supporting their opponent in the primary or g.e. and/or by the might of groups like DMFI. As long as donor-driven politics continues to dominate our country, politicians will continue to carefully pick their battles for being loudmouths.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 25, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It's Romneycare.

So an ACA exchange like every other state? I'm trying to suss out what makes it more left-leaning than other states, as intimated by the post to which I was replying. Maybe I misunderstood that post.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I sure hope the Biden administration actually has a backup plan for if/when debt ceiling negotiations break down.

If they just shrug and let it happen rather than try ANYTHING then they are going to end up owning this more than they think IMO...

e: assuming they don't just cave which is entirely possible

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

So an ACA exchange like every other state? I'm trying to suss out what makes it more left-leaning than other states, as intimated by the post to which I was replying. Maybe I misunderstood that post.

Pretty much. There's some minor differences, but they were basically doing the "free healthcare for people just above Medicaid eligibility and subsidized for everyone else up to 400% of the poverty line" before Obamacare.

They shunted some people off onto Medicaid after Obamacare expanded it and got a few waivers to keep running their own exchange the way they were before, but it is essentially Obamacare.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The government setting provider rates, premium rates, deductibles, co-pays & universality (being able to obtain healthcare coverage beyond one's state or county lines) is what keeps traditional Medicare so much more affordable for most people.

Of course, with the government promoting & subsidizing "Medicare" "Advantage"--which is neither Medicare nor an advantage over Medicare--that's changing by the year, but some Democrats in Congress (Warren & Wyden, e.g.) are trying to stop that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Levitate posted:

I sure hope the Biden administration actually has a backup plan for if/when debt ceiling negotiations break down.

If they just shrug and let it happen rather than try ANYTHING then they are going to end up owning this more than they think IMO...

e: assuming they don't just cave which is entirely possible

He better pull the coin from behind McCarthy 's ear

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pretty much. There's some minor differences, but they were basically doing the "free healthcare for people just above Medicaid eligibility and subsidized for everyone else up to 400% of the poverty line" before Obamacare.

They shunted some people off onto Medicaid after Obamacare expanded it and got a few waivers to keep running their own exchange the way they were before, but it is essentially Obamacare.

At one point a few years after the ACA was put into effect I remember reading that the Massachusetts exchange had the highest premium costs in the country. Do you know if that's still true?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

cat botherer posted:

11-year-old Mississippi boy who was shot by responding police officer after calling 911 is released from the hospital
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/24/us/mississippi-police-shooting-11-year-old-boy/index.html

Cops are demons. This kid called 911 for help when his mother was being beaten by her partner, and then the cops come and shoot the kid.

It's like American cops are competing for the most WTF shooting case. Did they get worried after that Australian cop tasered a 95-year old grandma to death? Concerned that shooting a guy in a wheelchair wouldn't be enough for them to defend the title?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

At one point a few years after the ACA was put into effect I remember reading that the Massachusetts exchange had the highest premium costs in the country. Do you know if that's still true?

No clue.

They had the most comprehensive coverage for a long time, so that + high COL might have contributed. I don't know if that is still true or if there were other factors that made it more expensive.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

UKJeff posted:

Rahm Emmanuel comes to mind. That one lawyer for Stormy Daniels people were crowing about until they realized oops, he's just an rear end in a top hat... Michael Avenatti? Adrian Fontes (newly elected Arizona SoS) Ruben Gallego (running for Senate in Az for Sinema's seat).

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Willa Rogers posted:

Looks like it's Vermont - WV as the 1-2 at all bronze / silver / gold tiers. Mass all the way down to 17th at worst for gold tier. Jumped back to 2018 and Mass was still not showing up above the fold in any of them

https://www.kff.org/health-reform/s...2:%22desc%22%7D

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Thanks, Kalli.

Speaking of health care:

https://twitter.com/Serenad7/status/1661620178948435968

quote:

The percentage of American adults who say they skipped medical care due to costs rose significantly last year, hitting 28 percent. That's up from 24 percent in 2021 and 23 percent in 2020, according to a survey out this week from the Federal Reserve titled Economic Well-Being of US Households in 2022.

The percentage of people skipping medical care due to money woes is now at the highest point since 2014, when the country was on a downward slide as the Affordable Care Act came into full effect, offering affordable health insurance options to all Americans. The percentage of Americans reporting skipped medical care due to costs in 2013 was 32 percent, then 31 percent in 2014, and down to 27 percent in 2015.

Already, the US spends more on health care than any other high-income country in the world but ranks at the bottom on many significant health metrics. For instance, compared to other high-income countries, the US has the shortest life expectancy at birth, the highest rate of avoidable deaths, the highest rate of newborn deaths, the highest rate of maternal deaths, the highest rate of adults with multiple chronic conditions, and the highest rate of obesity, according to an analysis published in January.

Reminder that the number of Americans who die each year due to being uninsured or underinsured was 80,000 the last I heard (when Bernie was campaigning in 2020). It's likely greater now given these new stats, and will continue to grow particularly as no-questions-asked Medicaid enrollment continues to phase out after the pandemic.

And this is after the Biden administration & its promoters have touted record insurance enrollment as well as the enhanced subsidies that the federal government has provided private health insurers.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 25, 2023

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Young Freud posted:

Trump's spoken about the DeSantis-Musk announcement:
https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1661524647588900865?s=20

Oh this made my day.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Oracle posted:

Rahm Emmanuel comes to mind. That one lawyer for Stormy Daniels people were crowing about until they realized oops, he's just an rear end in a top hat... Michael Avenatti? Adrian Fontes (newly elected Arizona SoS) Ruben Gallego (running for Senate in Az for Sinema's seat).

Rahm was a loudmouth, but his target usually was the left, not the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

pencilhands posted:

Hmmm maybe I’m just ignorant of what’s going on

The MBTA being fixed mainly and single payer

I've been living in the city for close to 20 years now and the MBTA is the worst it has ever been by an enormous margin lol. It's genuinely kind of hilarious how much it's falling apart (well apart from that one guy who got dragged to death by a malfunctioning train, that wasn't funny)