Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Does look like it hit the stern so could have damaged rudder or props.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Is there a poop deck / putin joke there somewhere?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1661691094973775885

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
Gripen fighters, too?

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1661718170451734528?s=20

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/LenerdoDicrapio/status/1661126393101680640

drat, John McCain called it /all/ way back in 2015.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Mederlock posted:

McCain is a great representation of how the American right used to be, with their heads only partially up their asses. The current crop of right wingers have plunged their skulls shoulder deep.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the second amendment is alive and well in Russia

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Maybe the Czech Gripen could be handed over to Ukraine. Hungary and Brazil have a bunch too, but I have a feeling those are more likely be handed over to Russia.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Scam Likely posted:

McCain is a great representation of how the American right used to be, with their heads only partially up their asses. The current crop of right wingers have plunged their skulls shoulder deep.

They are focused on their Christian Fascist poo poo so much that nothing else matters at this point to them.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Mederlock posted:

The last real man in the republican party.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

the second amendment is alive and well in Russia

Huge numbers of baseball bats are sold in Russia, despite almost nobody playing baseball.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Bluemillion posted:

The last real man in the republican party.

Says it all, doesn't it.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

I'm sure the russian media will be gripen' about this! 🤣

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

And this right after Russia forced Sweden to close their consulate at St. Petersburg.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

And this right after Russia forced Sweden to close their consulate at St. Petersburg.

You figure Russia would at least realize that the threats and negative feedback isn't working anymore.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Bluemillion posted:

I'm sure the russian media will be gripen' about this! 🤣

Ayy lmao

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mederlock posted:

Dude knew what Putin was and knew the risk level to Ukraine from inaction. Hell in 2015 people were mocking McCain for sounding the warning bells about Russia as a hawk.

This is kind of haunting now.

I'm not a fan of many of the man's stances but he was right on the money about this.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TulliusCicero posted:

Dude knew what Putin was and knew the risk level to Ukraine from inaction. Hell in 2015 people were mocking McCain for sounding the warning bells about Russia as a hawk.

I'm not a fan of many of the man's stances but he was right on the money about this.

It kept happening too.

I will never ever forget talking to actual family like "jesus christ Vova is about to invade Ukraine" while very very knowledgeable communists online insisted it as all made up by Bloodlust Biden and besides it's kulaks who deserve it anyway, and besides the nazi azov Zelenskiy is cancelling all russian culture in the fake country because the CIA told him to, something something BANDERA

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It kept happening too.

I will never ever forget talking to actual family like "jesus christ Vova is about to invade Ukraine" while very very knowledgeable communists online insisted it as all made up by Bloodlust Biden and besides it's kulaks who deserve it anyway

And to be fair: Putin was openly appealing to the GOP's Christian Evangelical powerbase to try to keep them from aligning with Ukraine, and it worked for the most part until recently. He practically had the GOP eating out of the palm of his hand.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It kept happening too.

I will never ever forget talking to actual family like "jesus christ Vova is about to invade Ukraine" while very very knowledgeable communists online insisted it as all made up by Bloodlust Biden and besides it's kulaks who deserve it anyway

A lot of people were laughing at Romney for calling Russia the biggest threat to US national security in 2011/2012. I had just started studying Russian, and I thought it was ridiculous. Then I started speaking to Russians using my newfound Russian, a lot of whom were fully boomer-brained already back then. It was strange to see Romney of all people actually have some idea of what's happening in the world.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Mederlock posted:

He was getting advice from the most distinguished experts.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

On the other hand, talk like this coming from him was, understandably, giving people flashbacks to the kind of rhetoric they heard to justify invading Iraq, as he was one of the big proponents of the whole "Saddam is supplying weapons of mass destruction to terrorists" thing.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Storkrasch posted:

A lot of people were laughing at Romney for calling Russia the biggest threat to US national security in 2011/2012. I had just started studying Russian, and I thought it was ridiculous. Then I started speaking to Russians using my newfound Russian, a lot of whom were fully boomer-brained already back then. It was strange to see Romney of all people actually have some idea of what's happening in the world.

Looking back at it now Obama's foreign policy towards dictators and horrible regimes was pretty centrist appeasement. Like Russia and Irsael both got major wins on him multiple times during that period.

The election of Trump was clearly a precursor for recent events in Ukraine, but Russia invaded Georgia and Ukraine on Obama's watch and we just kinda :shrug:

I just wonder if his foreign policy will be looked at with a different lens in the near future.

I want to make clear I'm not suggesting Obama caused Russia to invade Georgia or Ukraine, I am suggesting that inaction from NATO and sanctions did jack poo poo and emboldened Putin to do crazier poo poo to the US and Ukraine in 2016.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Storkrasch posted:

Maybe the Czech Gripen could be handed over to Ukraine. Hungary and Brazil have a bunch too, but I have a feeling those are more likely be handed over to Russia.

Iirc Czech Gripens are leased so that would probably complicate things

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Yeah, at the time any talk of russia or syria could be lumped into "we're looking for a new war, to rekindle the magic just after 9/11." If putin kept doing what he was doing pre-invasion the west would've just kept rotting away and collapsing into trumpian fiefdoms.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Looking back at it now Obama's foreign policy towards dictators and horrible regimes was pretty centrist appeasement. Like Russia and Irsael both got major wins on him multiple times during that period.

The election of Trump was clearly a precursor for recent events in Ukraine, but Russia invaded Georgia and Ukraine on Obama's watch and we just kinda :shrug:

I just wonder if his foreign policy will be looked at with a different lens in the near future.

I want to make clear I'm not suggesting Obama caused Russia to invade Georgia or Ukraine, I am suggesting that inaction from NATO and sanctions did jack poo poo and emboldened Putin to do crazier poo poo to the US and Ukraine in 2016.

Russia attacked Georgia in 2008, during the Olympics. Obama was not in office back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Georgian_War

I do not like how bush skates away free from consequences, neither should anyone else.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

I hate to say it but Mitt Romney was also dead on the money about this, binders fulla women or not.

i refuse to believe palin arrived at this conclusion except by total accident

Pajser posted:

Russia attacked Georgia in 2008, during the Olympics. Obama was not in office back then.

I do not like how bush skates away free from consequences, neither should anyone else.

Yeah that was Bush's last international whoopsydoodle in the midst of the global economy melting down

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 25, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

Invading Crimean peninsula and Donbas, or 2 small ethnically Russian regions of Georgia is also very different thing from trying to land-grab a country size of Poland and Germany combined, with a population of 40+ millions that wants nothing to do with Russia and has recently booted out a Russia-leaning dictator. Its not an excuse, but for the European NATO and EU it was too much too close, dragging the neighboring EU countries into the war one way or another. Or making them openly join the Putin's side and work against the others.

It also echoes the same narratives that started the WW2 in Europe, and pretty much also showed that Russia will not stop doing these types of wars unless something is done about it. Next, anschluss of Belarus and Moldova, then its Nordics or Baltics turn.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

Invading Crimean peninsula and Donbas, or 2 small ethnically Russian regions of Georgia is also very different thing from trying to land-grab a country size of Poland and Germany combined, with a population of 40+ millions that wants nothing to do with Russia and has recently booted out a Russia-leaning dictator. Its not an excuse, but for the European NATO and EU it was too much too close, dragging the neighboring EU countries into the war one way or another. Or making them openly join the Putin's side.

It also echoes the same narratives that started the WW2 in Europe, and pretty much also showed that Russia will not stop doing these types of wars unless something is done about it. Next, anschluss of Belarus, then its Nordics or Baltics turn.

belarus is pretty much an oblast at this point anyway and it's pretty sad to see. this would be the perfect time to try and get rid of lukashenka again because what's russia gonna do, send the metro security guards to minsk?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

TulliusCicero posted:

I remember that at the time, conservatives thought that Obama was far too soft with Putin and was letting Putin take the lead on US-Russia relations and essentially get his way. Which made their about-face with Trump and Putin being buds especially funny.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

steinrokkan posted:

Iirc Czech Gripens are leased so that would probably complicate things

If Sweden trains Ukrainians, Czechia and Sweden could possibly end the lease and provide them to Ukraine. Czechia is getting F-35s I think, and NATO could probably help them temporarily. Sweden is in a different situation, not being in NATO and relying heavily on its air force.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Pajser posted:

Thank you for genuinely bringing this up

loving Bush memory hole propaganda is powerful gently caress

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Storkrasch posted:

If Sweden trains Ukrainians, Czechia and Sweden could possibly end the lease and provide them to Ukraine. Czechia is getting F-35s I think, and NATO could probably help them temporarily. Sweden is in a different situation, not being in NATO and relying heavily on its air force.

I have absolutely 0% confidence that the Baltic fleet from Kaliningrad and St. Petersburg can stage a seaborne invasion anywhere to Sweden, at least without managing to accidentally attack Poland, Finland and assorted number of other countries while doing it.

But yeah, Sweden right now probably might want to hold on to all fighters and modern weapons systems they have operators for. Especially anything that works as anti-ship or anti-airborne deterrence.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Storkrasch posted:

Well I mean. In NATO in all but name, however there is this

https://www.defensenews.com/global/europe/2023/03/24/nordic-countries-move-toward-linking-their-air-forces-250-planes/

I don't think Sweden is going to have to stand alone for much longer.

Just need to get off their rear end from fika and join NATO already.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Der Kyhe posted:

I have absolutely 0% confidence that the Baltic fleet from Kaliningrad and St. Petersburg can stage a seaborne invasion anywhere to Sweden, at least without managing to accidentally attack Poland, Finland and assorted number of other countries while doing it.

But yeah, Sweden right now probably might want to hold on to all fighters and modern weapons systems they have operators for. Especially anything that works as anti-ship or anti-airborne deterrence.

Not worried about full scale invasions at all, but Russia likes to fly bombers into Swedish airspace, and might try to mess with shipping or underwater cables etc.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tigey posted:

These ramming drone boats don't seem to have had a great track record so far, so I don't expect anything to come of this.

Even if it doesn't result in a sunken vessel, any damage means that it's going to have to be taken out of commission for a while until things can be assessed and repaired.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I disagree about Romney.

Outside of their troll farms and the nuclear arsenal (assuming that it works, of course) Russia is not anywhere close to being the main threat to the US.

Now, a regional threat to their neighbors? Totally different story, as we've seen time and again.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

HonorableTB posted:

i refuse to believe palin arrived at this conclusion except by total accident
I was being a dickhead about it.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

More Russophobia. However, due to public outcry, he will retain "Honorable Mention" in the city's Eyebrow Museum.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1661730084494118915?cxt=HHwWhsDQ7aSt048uAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well I mean. In NATO in all but name, however there is this

https://www.defensenews.com/global/europe/2023/03/24/nordic-countries-move-toward-linking-their-air-forces-250-planes/

I don't think Sweden is going to have to stand alone for much longer.

Just need to get off their rear end from fika and join NATO already.

Linking air forces means Sweden probably has more commitments for its air force, not necessarily less. A big chunk of those 250 planes are Swedish.

I'd be hesitant to rely on NATO fully anyway, it's an organisation that is currently at the whim of at least two authoritarian and anti-western countries. If Russia sizes their operations appropriately, I could see NATO not really bothering. Arguably Nordstream would be an example of such an operation, though I have no proof that Russia did it. Russia could e.g. "accidentally" ram oil tankers outside of Stockholm harbour or something, and I doubt NATO would do much about it, especially if Sweden isn't officially in NATO.

I'd be happy if Sweden gave Ukraine a squadron or two of Gripen, but I can see why they might not.