Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
If I had 6000 bucks to drop on camera gear, I don’t think it would be on a Q3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

yeah you could buy 3 Q’s instead

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

qirex posted:

New app won’t pair with my camera so that’s business as usual. It also requires full time location access and notifications on iOS.

Camera firmware has to be updated to be able to connect to the new app, if you didn't do that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

e: nvm i posted something incorrect

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 26, 2023

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Is it just me or does the R100 not make any sense?

So it's a gateway camera for people looking to upgrade from smartphones but they left out touchscreen functionality because what the instabunnies were all secretly craving for was context sensitive button controls? Yes, yes, makes perfect sense. :psyduck:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Has anyone here tried out the fuji 150-600? I rented a 100-400 and loved it and am considering the same with the 150-600 for birds and whales.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

teraflame posted:

So who’s getting a Q3?

I have a smattering of gear to downsize already… I was gonna do something smart like put it in a rainy day fund.

Maybe the rainy day fund is a Leica Q3?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

teraflame posted:

So who’s getting a Q3?

Waiting for the Q3m like a sane person.

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

I picked up a used Q2 for a great price the day of the Q3 announcement. The lens is great and the DNGs are wonderful. The autofocus is horrible for anything that moves and even some things that don't. Somehow the AF is worse than my old Leica SL Typ 601 which I can't fathom. The AF is significantly worse than my Fujifilm cameras, except the face/eye detect is more reliable than the unusable face/eye detect on the XTrans IV and earlier Fujifilm cameras. In spite of all that I am enjoying it so far. The fly-by-wire manual focus feels more natural than any other fly-by-wire focusing system I have used before. My goal was to test drive the 28mm f/1.7 Summilux before going all in on a Q3. Still need time to do that at which point used Q3s will pop up and I won't lose much if anything selling the Q2. Weirdly though even with the addition of PDAF on the Q3 some early well-known reviewers have said the AF is not all that much improved which I find hard to believe. I also saw a at least somewhat credible rumor that a 40-50mm Q is in the works which would be more my speed.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Has anyone here tried out the fuji 150-600? I rented a 100-400 and loved it and am considering the same with the 150-600 for birds and whales.

I got it, and I'm enjoying it - it does feel fairly well balanced, and it's as sharp as I'm likely to want, and it's definitely a better lens than I am photographer. The f8 is still a bit of an issue for some of the shots I want to do (e.g. birds at 4 AM dawn, or walking through denser forest) but I have the 70-140 f2.8 that probably works for a lot of those in that circumstance.
In the couple of months I've had it, I haven't had much reason to put on my 100-400 so far; if that holds for another ~6 months, I'll probably sell it, but I want to see how it does a bit longer term.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Well, I traded my 16-55mm f2.8 for the 70-300mm f4-f5.6 and picked up a used 23mm f2 while I was in the store. Trade value on the 16-55 was on the low end, but because I was going to get a 23 at a later date and they had a used one there, the salesman knocked 15% off to sweeten the pot. Didn't want to spend that much in one go, but their trade policies are pretty good (they pay you tax on the value of your trade, and you only pay tax on the remainder). I wanted a long lens for my trip to Le Mans and Spa in June for some endurance racing, and that will be my first test for it. I think it might be a good street photography lens too, though that's what I got the 23mm for.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I got the XC 50-230 for a couple specific uses while I was in Japan and ended up using it a ton more than I anticipated. Telephoto is cool.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 31, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it sure is, there's a reason I only shoot with a 135mm

makes it a bit hard to capture a scene, but I can live with the inability to do that (since I can't take a decent wide angle photo to save myself), when everything else I get with it looks so good

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I have the XF18mm 1.4 (the new one), the XF 35mm, the 18-55 and the XF55-200, and I find I have to force myself to play with all the other lenses because I just get so many good shots with the XF55-200 (at my very amateur level). I think also telephoto being something you absolutely can't do with a cellphone in the same way you can with a proper camera is very appealing. I planned to just take either the 18mm and 35mm for travel, or the 18-55, but the 55-200 has ended up way more versatile than I expected and basically my default lens so I'm worried i'll miss it!

HorribleAvatar
Feb 26, 2012

We're through running form these bastards!
Since I mentioned it in the film thread I figure I would ask now and get it it out of the way. I've been looking to try Fuji for my landscape work and since there seem to be quite a few users here who use Fuji I would like to hear your experiences. So I have a few reasons that I'll list as to why I think it might benefit me to switch. For reference, I have a Sony A7III and have used numerous mainly Canon DSLRs in the past. I briefly own a Fuji X100v last year but quickly decided point and shoots weren't for me. Gotta have that lens swap out capability. Anyways here we go:

1. Overall a lighter package when it comes to camera body and lenses. Good for hiking.
2. The film simulations seem pretty cool and I'd like to dive deeper into using them. What are you thoughts?
3. The intervalometer gives you the option to go from 0-999 seconds, thus alleviating the need for a wired or wireless intervalometer. Come on Sony, Canon and Nikon! You should've implemented this feature years ago!
4. Built in focus stacking, now correct me if I'm wrong but the feature doesn't actually stack the images in camera but does give you the option to select how many images you want stacked and then will take the set with a press of the shutter. I don't quite remember now if that's how it goes so correct me if I'm wrong. Might help a little with giving me higher res. photos?
5. It seems as thought the lens selection is pretty strong and getting better with the introduction of numerous third-party lens selections. If I do move to Fuji I will almost assuredly buy the Viltrox 13mm since 20mm on full frame is one of my favorite wide angle focal lengths and I've really good things about it.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions. Thanks

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

HorribleAvatar posted:

Lighter package definitely possible, though some of the high-end lenses can be a bit brick-y of course. Film simulations are definitely a big part of the allure, but so is the lens library too, plenty of great options and coverage. My X-T20 still serves me well, even occasionally for sports.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

HorribleAvatar posted:

Since I mentioned it in the film thread I figure I would ask now and get it it out of the way. I've been looking to try Fuji for my landscape work and since there seem to be quite a few users here who use Fuji I would like to hear your experiences. ...

I bought an xt-2 to dip my toes into astro. The built-in intervelometer is great for me. I've been shooting more non-astro lately and will probably upgrade to an xt5, stay in the ecosystem. I had to learn how to do most things in low/no light so it is as much a function of "what I know" as just liking it.

The Viltrox 13mm, I waffled on that for too long. They were selling for under $300 US (ebay) a month ago. Now that I decided to pull the trigger they're $385.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

HorribleAvatar posted:

Nothing killed my interest in photography like my Sony A7, even though on paper it was the perfect camera for me. It's just incredibly beige to use.

In addition to generally being lighter and smaller, the Fuji lenses are also cheaper than their FF equivalent on Sony.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Depends on your needs. Fuji pro zooms are pretty much same size and weight as FF lenses. Sony on the other hand has also third-party options that are reasonably sized and priced. If you use mainly primes then Fuji is great option.

I prefer to carry small M43 camera with 2 lenses if I don't want to lug around my Canon R6. Much better tradeoff IMO for different uses.

HorribleAvatar
Feb 26, 2012

We're through running form these bastards!
Thanks for the responses what I think I'll do is wait till the XS-20 drops at the end of the month and then see if prices edge down on used XS-10s. Right now I'm seeing used on MPB for 800-900 so maybe if they come down to high 700's I might just snatch one up for me. Might also see what used prices are like for the 10-24mm if I decide to go with a zoom. Having that versatility is also pretty handy and helped me out a lot when I owned the Canon 16-35mm F4L.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Nothing killed my interest in photography like my Sony A7, even though on paper it was the perfect camera for me. It's just incredibly beige to use.

I think that’s your own fault.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

teraflame posted:

I think that’s your own fault.

Yeah, for buying it. It's not exactly a hot take that the ergos on the A series are not spectacular. Somehow my NEX 3 was a lot more enjoyable to use.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when I was first given an eos R to play with for a weekend, I loved using it so much I bought one the next week. never bought a new camera before, was on a 7D

I love using that camera. idk what it is. I even know it got a bit of poo poo when it came out but then a year later a lot of people have turned around and said they loved it. perhaps that's what having a good and enjoyable system does, even if on paper it seems worse

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
As someone who moved from APS-C Canon to Fuji X-S10 a couple of years ago, the physical ergonomics are pretty nice, but dear god, the menus.

Partly it's just that it's a much more complex system than my previous camera, but even accounting for that Fuji just don't seem to know how to make an intuitive menu system. There are about a billion settings, usually multiple ways you can change at least half of them, and some of them move to entirely different places when the camera gets a firmware update.

Basically be prepared to spend a lot of time searching the PDF manual to find where the setting you want is. I sometimes still have to do that 2 years later, although I've put the things I use most into "my menu" (basically a favourites page for settings). Although even then, not all settings can be added to that :iiam:

Don't get me wrong I love the camera, but the experience of setting it up could be vastly improved.

TLDR: hardware good, software bad.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

rolleyes posted:

As someone who moved from APS-C Canon to Fuji X-S10 a couple of years ago, the physical ergonomics are pretty nice, but dear god, the menus.

Partly it's just that it's a much more complex system than my previous camera, but even accounting for that Fuji just don't seem to know how to make an intuitive menu system. There are about a billion settings, usually multiple ways you can change at least half of them, and some of them move to entirely different places when the camera gets a firmware update.

Basically be prepared to spend a lot of time searching the PDF manual to find where the setting you want is. I sometimes still have to do that 2 years later, although I've put the things I use most into "my menu" (basically a favourites page for settings). Although even then, not all settings can be added to that :iiam:

Don't get me wrong I love the camera, but the experience of setting it up could be vastly improved.

TLDR: hardware good, software bad.

The good thing is, once you've set things how you want them, you never need to menu dive again.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I feel that's something all cameras have to be honest. There are certain Nikon settings I have to look up every time because finding them intuitively is impossible. They all suck, just some suck more than others.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It took me less than 10 minutes to set my Z30 up the same way my D750 is :shrug:

Some menu options seem to be hidden on purpose though...

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Trying to wrap my head around Canon R6 focus settings was at first very confusing and clunky. as I watched all those different Youtube videos on how to best set it up, 2 different back button focus modes etc etc

Until I realized that I can just trust the camera most of the time and use the default tracking focus mode with S-AF fallback on one button.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Sigma announced their 14mm 1.4. $1,599 USD. https://www.sigmaphoto.com/14mm-f1-4-dg-dn-a

Over 2.5 lbs (1660g)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Marklar posted:

Sigma announced their 14mm 1.4. $1,599 USD. https://www.sigmaphoto.com/14mm-f1-4-dg-dn-a

Over 2.5 lbs (1660g)

That’s only .83 of a Noct. Get with the game, Sigma!

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

okay so
m43 telephotos
I have the Panasonic 14-140
Should I get the 100-300, too?
Or do I succumb to the siren call of the OM 90mm f3.5… or something entirely different?

I have a comedy option Tokina 400mm reflex lens for the extreme far end - I’ve been sort of contemplating buying one of those red dot sights for when I use that, since figuring out what I’m seeing that far away out of focus is a bit challenging

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

wolfs posted:

okay so
m43 telephotos
Or do I succumb to the siren call of the OM 90mm f3.5… or something entirely different?

I have a comedy option Tokina 400mm reflex lens for the extreme far end - I’ve been sort of contemplating buying one of those red dot sights for when I use that, since figuring out what I’m seeing that far away out of focus is a bit challenging

I had the 100-300 for a while. It's OK, and is fine for specific purposes, but overall it falls into you get what you pay for territory.
The best two lenses for m43 from personal preference is the Panasonic 20mm pancake and Olympus 60mm macro.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

wolfs posted:

I use a spotting scope on a t-ring for some fun stuff, and definitely helped to put a cheap red dot on it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hey all! I used to be super into photography, fell out of it, and probably won't reeeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyyyy be getting back into it all that seriously, but I'm going to the Galapagos next year and would like to take some sweet shots.

My old setup is a Canon 30D (lol) and I have the basics to go with it. Nifty fifty, Tamron 17-50, Canon 70-200 F/4-5.6L.

I'm good for lenses, but I feel like the body probably needs an upgrade (especially since I'd like to take video), and looking at the price to rent I think I'm probably better off buying. I would like something that can still use my current lenses, doesn't cost more than $2k, and will give me better quality photos than my old body.

Thanks!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

HookShot posted:

Hey all! I used to be super into photography, fell out of it, and probably won't reeeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyyyy be getting back into it all that seriously, but I'm going to the Galapagos next year and would like to take some sweet shots.

My old setup is a Canon 30D (lol) and I have the basics to go with it. Nifty fifty, Tamron 17-50, Canon 70-200 F/4-5.6L.

I'm good for lenses, but I feel like the body probably needs an upgrade (especially since I'd like to take video), and looking at the price to rent I think I'm probably better off buying. I would like something that can still use my current lenses, doesn't cost more than $2k, and will give me better quality photos than my old body.

Thanks!

I am too lazy to look up, but are you sure on that Canon 70-200? I think it's a constant f/4 if it's the L. Source: had one for a few years and loved it until it got dropped on a rock :negative:

Anything will be an improvement over a 30D so you're in luck there! It's popular to use EF glass on Sony cameras with an adapter, especially since the good Sony glass is like twice the price its EF equivalent (doesn't have 30 years worth of a secondhand market). I can't tell you about Canon's mirrorless offerings except that the EOS M is a cold, dead system. But they have a new one (R mount?) that's supposed to be good.

If you are in Australia I've actually got a Sony A7rII with the Sigma MC-11 EF autofocus adapter for sale (or if you're in the US, I'm moving there next month). It is not the newest, but still 42MP with in body stabilisation. I am not sure if it allows for crop lenses like your Tamron to be used though.

I could do AUD$1000 net to me for camera + adapter, can post in the Buy/Sell thread to keep things above-board if you are interested.

Also, I'd want something longer than 200mm for the Galapagos (especially if shooting full frame). You could get a teleconverter for your 70-200, or look into a 300mm prime or zoom. Might be a good use case to rent if you don't think you'll use it much again.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

wolfs posted:

okay so
m43 telephotos

i can't speak for the 100-300 because the one i bought was stolen off my porch/never delivered, but i can say the panasonic 50-200 is worth every penny.

lately, however, i find myself using a smc Pentax-A* 300mm more often. that lens (or the Pentax-M version) can be had for less than either, and can get excellent results if you're okay with manual focus. it's an old, sorta heavy (but not really for a 300mm f4) lens that actually fits both my G9 and GX8 bodies well with either the pixco focal reducer or the dumb adapter I've got

with the g9 and Pentax 300 w/ the focal reducer

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I moved from Canon DSLR (70D) to Sony A7RIII and I regret nothing. Purchased used and got in around $1500. 42MP, 4K30fps or 1080p120fps.

Great camera. It's now two models old.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

HookShot posted:

Thanks!

The good news is, if you are okay staying with Canon EF mount, you could pick up a 7D/6D/5D of some variety for fairly cheap used. People are offloading those bodies, they’d work with your lenses directly, and still take great photos.

Canon has a mirrorless system - RF - that has a mount adapter to EF, so possible that at least the L lens can be brought forward (can’t remember offhand if it works with EF-S and therefore the 17-50). Others could tell you which R body would be best, but they seem to be good and established by now, and the native RF lens catalog seems to be growing.

These are the easy options. Using 3rd party adapters and/or selling what you have and jumping to another mirrorless system seems…hasty, and more complex.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I am too lazy to look up, but are you sure on that Canon 70-200? I think it's a constant f/4 if it's the L. Source: had one for a few years and loved it until it got dropped on a rock :negative:

Anything will be an improvement over a 30D so you're in luck there! It's popular to use EF glass on Sony cameras with an adapter, especially since the good Sony glass is like twice the price its EF equivalent (doesn't have 30 years worth of a secondhand market). I can't tell you about Canon's mirrorless offerings except that the EOS M is a cold, dead system. But they have a new one (R mount?) that's supposed to be good.

If you are in Australia I've actually got a Sony A7rII with the Sigma MC-11 EF autofocus adapter for sale (or if you're in the US, I'm moving there next month). It is not the newest, but still 42MP with in body stabilisation. I am not sure if it allows for crop lenses like your Tamron to be used though.

I could do AUD$1000 net to me for camera + adapter, can post in the Buy/Sell thread to keep things above-board if you are interested.

Also, I'd want something longer than 200mm for the Galapagos (especially if shooting full frame). You could get a teleconverter for your 70-200, or look into a 300mm prime or zoom. Might be a good use case to rent if you don't think you'll use it much again.

Yeah, you're right, it is a constant f/4, it's been that long I mixed it up. I didn't realize there were adapters with Sony cameras, that's cool to know, thanks.

I'm in Canada, but thank you for the offer!

harperdc posted:

The good news is, if you are okay staying with Canon EF mount, you could pick up a 7D/6D/5D of some variety for fairly cheap used. People are offloading those bodies, they’d work with your lenses directly, and still take great photos.

Canon has a mirrorless system - RF - that has a mount adapter to EF, so possible that at least the L lens can be brought forward (can’t remember offhand if it works with EF-S and therefore the 17-50). Others could tell you which R body would be best, but they seem to be good and established by now, and the native RF lens catalog seems to be growing.

These are the easy options. Using 3rd party adapters and/or selling what you have and jumping to another mirrorless system seems…hasty, and more complex.

Cool, thanks so much! I think I'll look at the Canon mirrorless line and decide what to do from there. I'll likely rent a lens or two as well for the trip, since those are much more affordable to rent than buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I have an R7 and the 18-150 kit lens. I find I’m often shooting at 150 and wishing I could go further. Getting closer isn’t always an option (wildlife, etc).

I’d like to rent a lens or two to try out but I’m overwhelmed by the menu at my local shop (Glazers in Seattle). How do I go about narrowing down the options?