Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Can't park there mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

Can't park there mate

Here?

https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1661760931339042818

e: https://twitter.com/georgegrylls/status/1661762824073248772

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 25, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Another quiet gardener after the net migration figures came out?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ahahahaha.... 'rammed'

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1661764182914527237

Guavanaut posted:

:allears:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 25, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The minutes your inner UKIP switches from "IMMIGRANTS :argh: :argh: :argh:" to "poo poo I don't want to pay to replace the airbags"

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Bojo's desperate to get back in

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Neil Coyle taking a wrong turn after a long celebratory lunch

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Was very disappointed by those armoured cars

No pintle mount MG or driver's periscopes anywhere :reject:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

The incident happened at 16:20 BST, police said.

:420:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
BoJo's legal weed ARG for his re-election campaign coming together

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

It's one of many good reasons not to leave your door wide open (unless you actually want people to come in, like offering shelter during a storm or natural disaster).

Although I notice that none of the "the bike lads should have stopped for the filth even though the lights weren't on" pricks seem to have decided to go the "well they shouldn't have left their door open" route. Hierarchy of victims indeed.

Which is a pity really because there are several reasons we may want to leave a door open.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Criminal Behaviour Orders seem like a weird semi-fascist elastoplast over the current state of sentencing and courts, which let the police kind of sidestep due process for repeat arrests.

Bear in mind IANAL or even really the finest legal mind, but as it was explained to me there are a bunch of things that are illegal (or undesirable for a functioning society), but hard to prosecute: two examples are civil matters where it's not for the police to prosecute, it's for the property owner (and cases are so expensive to start the property owner often won't); and secondly there are matters which tend to be difficult to prove / argue in court so the CPS won't pursue.

Mizzy appears to have done both. They can arrest him for being in someone's house, but they know it's not a dead cert in court and it's not really for the police to prosecute. So they'll have to release him and just keep arresting him each time he does it in a neverending loop that makes both parties look like idiots (because frankly they are).

This is where CBOs come in, and I want to be clear again that I'm not condoning or arguing in favour of them. The police know they'll never be able to take each case to trial and win (or there's enough doubt for CPS not to pursue - see pretty much any episode of 24 Hours in Police Custody). But they DO know that they can get a CBO issued quickly by a lower court with much faster turnaround times (and more importantly no trial), and then very easily and straightforwardly hand out a fine or custodial sentence next time for breaching the CBO.

This is why you get CBOs saying things like "Don't start fights in city centre pubs on a friday night" and "Don't smash all the windows in the shopping arcade with a hammer" - stuff that seems obviously illegal. A proper court has known arguments about establishing if the accused is really guilty, if it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, intent etc.

A breach of a CBO doesn't have to prove intent or whatever, it just has to prove that the plod caught them doing the thing the order says not to.

So in this case, the police issue a CBO saying "Don't enter people's houses without express permission, don't film people for tiktok without their prior consent" because if they can word the CBO in a way that covers 'annoying people for tiktok clout', they can arrest him for breaching the CBO and get a quick turnaround without a proper trial in a lower court for that instead.

Essentially it's a weird legal sidestep of "A court would probably never convict you for doing this, so instead of thinking 'hmm maybe we shouldn't arrest people for that,' we're going to convict you of the new crime of 'doing something we told you not to do.'"

Which sounds a bit fascist to me.

It doesn't sound great I must admit. But while I don't expect you to solve this problem have you any thoughts how this trend might be stopped? It could just stop like a lot of tiktok trends I guess.

I ask because we were talking about this in work and one of my colleagues was hoping that someone tried this with him so he could give them a good pasting. I'm sure he's not the only one.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

bessantj posted:

Which is a pity really because there are several reasons we may want to leave a door open.

It doesn't sound great I must admit. But while I don't expect you to solve this problem have you any thoughts how this trend might be stopped? It could just stop like a lot of tiktok trends I guess.

I ask because we were talking about this in work and one of my colleagues was hoping that someone tried this with him so he could give them a good pasting. I'm sure he's not the only one.

One thing I tend to wonder about these "tiktok trends" though is they're always incredibly vague about numbers.

Like, is walking into people's homes and being obnoxious actually a new "trend"? Aside from this Mizzy and his shitebag pals, how many teenagers out there are doing this poo poo, posting it to tiktok? The fact that all the focus was on this one guy seems to suggest to me that it's not actually a trend at all.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Reveilled posted:

One thing I tend to wonder about these "tiktok trends" though is they're always incredibly vague about numbers.

Like, is walking into people's homes and being obnoxious actually a new "trend"? Aside from this Mizzy and his shitebag pals, how many teenagers out there are doing this poo poo, posting it to tiktok? The fact that all the focus was on this one guy seems to suggest to me that it's not actually a trend at all.

No but him getting a round of media interviews after doing it might make it one

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

More like: 'hesitantly trundled into'.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/greenbenali/status/1661755992181293057

https://twitter.com/saltydesouffle/status/1661772163349618688

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 25, 2023

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

A man was at work at the same time that a car crashed into the gates of his place of work.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

Last time I left my door open two cats came in.

I'm not complaining, they didn't have any accidents (literal or euphemistic), it was just surprising. Better than tiktokkers though.

Cats are above all laws, including civil criminal and maritime, so it's still best to shut the door if you don't want their paws disturbing things.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

To be fair there was that lefty brit who tried to shoot Trump some years back.

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Plymouth_Live/status/1661602493762007041

I know I've already posted this, and nobody gives a poo poo but me, but I really wanted to get this off my chest.

This is the second time they've felled trees here, the first lot were cut down last month. The new labour council are claiming this new round of tree felling happened April 23rd under the previous tory administration.

Except that I live here and I swear they weren't cut down until last week.

All the pictures in the papers are from the local conservation group "STRAW - Save the TRees Armada Way's Post". They're all from last week.

Even the councils own press release on the tree felling only came out 5 days ago.

I feel like I'm being gaslit by a bunch of trees!

Oh, and apparently this is all in a conservation area, so they shouldn't have been cut down at all.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

1965917 posted:

I know I've already posted this, and nobody gives a poo poo but me, but I really wanted to get this off my chest.

I give a poo poo. I know the wankers in charge of Plymouth Labour, as I've had first hand experience of them when Corbyn was leader.

They are all a bunch of lying corrupt shits.

Keep fighting the fight.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
who the gently caress cares if they're having sex if you can't see them

hearing them won't be much different from listening to fleetwood mac's big love will it

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
they should just do hard loving in the open where the trees were

and reseed the ground LOL

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Facebook and Insta might have incidental photos that show whether the trees are up at a certain date. Or at least heavily imply it by the timestamp.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Reveilled posted:

That's a good point and one I should have thought about. It's like the "Tide Pod Challenge" it was reported as if millions of kids were eating Tide Pods but there doesn't seem to be much evidence that that was the case.

Guavanaut posted:

Last time I left my door open two cats came in.

I'm not complaining, they didn't have any accidents (literal or euphemistic), it was just surprising. Better than tiktokkers though.

Cats are above all laws, including civil criminal and maritime, so it's still best to shut the door if you don't want their paws disturbing things.

My next door neighbours cook a lot of fragrant curries and often leave the door open to, I guess, let the smell out. A few times I've just wanted to walk in and say "don't mind me I'm just going to eat some of this."

EDIT: 1965917 don't let the council bullshit you about the trees!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

crispix posted:

hearing them won't be much different from listening to fleetwood mac's big love will it

They cut the trees down because they want to watch.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

crispix posted:

The real reason is homeless people were using the trees as shelter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"But why do the rioters destroy their own community because they're mad at the police?" *destroys own city to gently caress over some homeless people*

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tried to book my car in for an MOT here in N.I. (lol at the several months long wait to get one here) and the bloody firm that does the online credit card transaction blocked my card.

Tried to do it via the phone but here are no free slots and i don't even know if they will take my CC after the online ballsup , this is giving me a literal headache. ffs :ughh:

Rant over, try again next week, i'll have to SORN the car like last year by the feel of things.

Oct 4, 2005

fuctifino posted:

The real reason is homeless people were using the trees as shelter.

Christ, thats messed up.

I assumed it had been done because some pearl clutcher had seen someone smoking weed there once and complained.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

1965917 posted:

Christ, thats messed up.

I assumed it had been done because some pearl clutcher had seen someone smoking weed there once and complained.

Homeless people were congregating there and existing in public. You simply can't have that sort of thing these days

e: There's a google pic from 2018 where you can get an idea of what it used to be like. The flora offered shelter from the wind and the rain and a place for homeless people to meet.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 25, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

bessantj posted:

I have no idea, unfortunately one of the contradictions of freedom is that some people are going to insist on doing dumb poo poo with that freedom. And as other people have said it's not a trend, it's a dumb video one kid made that's probably now going to become a trend after the media have blown it up.

A lot of the problems with this can be boileddown to "but what if" fears about if he'd had malicious intent or if he'd refused to leave etc, and I think it does change things that he's a black lad walking into a reasonably middle class family home.

I was more interested in the police having carte blanche to just go "Oh, what you're doing isn't going to get you a custodial sentence? Well we'll tell you not to do it anyway, and then give you a custodial sentence for ignoring us." It just feels really fucky and due-process-dodging.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

personally I would prefer people not enter my home uninvited

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Realistically, what is the best option to deal with some unrepentant bellend harassing people for TikTok likes or follows or whatever the clout currency is on that platform?

In terms of a “this is what society should do to stop this specific person from being such a oval office to other people” solution, not on the individual “I would twat the fucker if he harassed me, simple as” level.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

History Comes Inside! posted:

In terms of a “this is what society should do to stop this specific person from being such a oval office to other people” solution, not on the individual “I would twat the fucker if he harassed me, simple as” level.

on the specific individual level you wont get a better cost/effort result than a good old fashioned punch in the face

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

They're saying the quiet bit out loud again

https://twitter.com/JeremyVineOn5/status/1661697517296185346

sigh...

Testro
May 2, 2009
On the back of a global pandemic which, if you're unlucky, can cause long lasting debilitating illness.

They're ghouls.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
It's very importramt to get a real job, like whatever the gently caress jemery vibe does

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have no idea, unfortunately one of the contradictions of freedom is that some people are going to insist on doing dumb poo poo with that freedom. And as other people have said it's not a trend, it's a dumb video one kid made that's probably now going to become a trend after the media have blown it up.

A lot of the problems with this can be boileddown to "but what if" fears about if he'd had malicious intent or if he'd refused to leave etc, and I think it does change things that he's a black lad walking into a reasonably middle class family home.

I was more interested in the police having carte blanche to just go "Oh, what you're doing isn't going to get you a custodial sentence? Well we'll tell you not to do it anyway, and then give you a custodial sentence for ignoring us." It just feels really fucky and due-process-dodging.

It's a trend with his person though.
The guy has videos of himself regular threatening and scaring people, assaulting some orthodox Jews, stealing a dog, entering homes, jumping on cars, stripping to his underwear in shops and harrasing staff. This prank isn't his first.

I understand the concern over CBOs but what exactly is the answer to this kind of behaviour?

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

MonkeyLibFront posted:

The same for me, everything is about to double (apart from gas standing charge), my fix ends in August, the standing charge is what gets me, I understand the fact energy prices can change but the standing charge doubling, it doesn't cost more to do any of the things that it's supposed to cover

The standing charge includes the fixed daily costs that are charged by your distribution network operator.

When all of the badly hedged suppliers went bust about 18 months ago, other suppliers took on those customers and were forced to buy very expensive electricity and gas and sell it to the failed suppliers’ customers at a massive loss.

As taking this loss couldn’t be reasonably held to be those suppliers’ fault, Ofgem allows them to reclaim that cost. Due to Ofgem’s love of Byzantine systems of charges and recharges, the money comes from the distribution network operators.

Now, the money-go-round trundles onwards, and the DNOs are allowed to recoup that cost from suppliers, through increased network charges. These are set in advance, so it takes 12 months or so to trickle through the system. Then the Ofgem price cap calculations kick in, and the cost that suppliers are allowed to charge through their standing charges increases to the payments they make to the DNOs.

And lo, we all end up paying for more expensive standing charges to subsidise people who got unsustainably cheap power and gas from a bunch of halfwits who didn’t understand or care about risk management back in 2020, who were supervised by a regulator who cared more about “competition” than what would happen when the wheels fell off a bunch of badly capitalised companies.

I don’t miss working for a big six supplier one bit. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Er, what? Sorry?

Aren't they supposed to be rather ideologically opposed?