Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Other way round would mean those two keywords would kill a character at say 1hp, instead of surviving. Can't heal if you're dead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I've used pain + heal combo on blues many times and survived what would be killing blows from abilities otherwise. It also works great on yellows that have pain sides too.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

ya looks like a bug. that's the jinx effect that makes your top+bot char take double damage if unshielded, so 4 -> 0 -> 2hp would be the expected outcome under the usual player-favoring rules of pain/heal combos.

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
Someone told me the bowl would actually make exert attacks not affect your dice but it turns out it was a lie.

Does this item serve any practical purpose beyond reverting the adverse effects of the mini statue item? It feels like such a highly specific pick and every time i choose it i end up wishing i just went with the random item instead. Feels like there really aren't many items that it actually synergizes with, and without synergies it's completely useless. It's only ever helped me on runs involving curses.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The bowl becomes powerful in cursed mode.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's mostly for curses. There's a couple other items that add HP in return for penalties, and if you're playing loot mode or have the extra item slot blessing you can do some weird combos with urn or something I guess? But if you don't have curse items you're probably not going to have much use for it.

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
It wouldn't be such a waste of an item slot if it had another (minor) side effect like additional empty health pips or something.

Or more ideally, there should just be more items in other tiers that have negative effects on your dice so it actually has more of a chance to actually be useful in standard runs.

Item that gives you +1 reroll but blanks your left and center side.
Item that gives you +4 free shields each turn but -1 to all sides.
Item that gives you +4 free shields each turn but adds pain to all sides

Obviously would need a little playtesting to figure out the ideal values but there are a lot of concepts like this that could make for interesting builds in tandem with the bowl. As it stands it's basically polluting the item pool since there are almost no standard items it synergizes with, and the only value you can get from the bowl is through synergies.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
An item that gives 1 Regen and +1 to incoming healing, but blanks every side. Could do something similar with block each turn + incoming block, alternatively. Call it Sculpted Abs for the obvious Statue synergy :v:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

i finally beat brutal with a 4 blue 1 red team

now for the dreaded classic unfair 2 streak

also, I wish there was some Fun Mode or maybe some unlock for getting all achievements that lets you really break the game. possibly infinite restarts for an unranked mode like blursed. let me go nuts basically

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Raine posted:

i finally beat brutal with a 4 blue 1 red team

now for the dreaded classic unfair 2 streak

I don't even understand Unfair. Hard feels impossible already.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I got the demo for this two days ago, and then bought the full version yesterday. What a good game.

Just tried and beat my first hard run on the full game. Herbalist (more specifically, their unique Vine spell) has carried me every time I got it, sometimes with a class like Trapper that can double the damage, sometimes (like this run) with a mana generating blue . I got a ghast with the item that takes away keywords on the left side, giving me a 5 mana no drawbacks, and his unique spell was easy to use with the Herbalist and was basically 3 free damage. I also got a dancer with a bonus to damage and was pretty much able to ping everything to death, especially when I got an item that did an extra 1 damage to the top guy when I cast a spell. I didn't even upgrade the Alchemist for my last boss fight, just rolled them.

Good game. Now to try Unfair or some of the other modes.

Sega 32X fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 26, 2023

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Just got this a few days ago and I love it. Bought it accidentally because I misremembered the name of Slay the Spire and it's exactly my jam.

I am terrible at it. I really wish there was some sort of save editor so I can fiddle with specific combos - and just editing the achievement data doesn't work and the game chastises you. :negative:

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
you can mess with Paste mode if you know how to format it, to do weird combos and other illegal setups

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

There's also a button to unlock everything if you want all the unlocks from achievements

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy
Please make weird modes that use different dice shapes. I understand that this doesn't mesh well with the item system. Let the items effect 6 faces, who cares? Give me a d12 and a d20 or give me death!

I have more ideas for modes. Most of them will be about as relevant as this idea.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Cursed chests seem cool as hell. I'm here for it.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
I love all of these!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

minus bloodlust should be 'hemophobia'

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Can't wait to oopsie clicking a side with groupdeath on it

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tunicate posted:

minus bloodlust should be 'hemophobia'

groupdeath should be 'massacre'

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Antipristine can be "Battle-Tested"

lolman
Jan 7, 2023

a real newbie
the game looks good

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

I've been enjoying Generate Heaven runs to see what kind of broken poo poo I can get. I had Hero Growth and Shrink, then rolled a character with Rampage sides and also the spells Charge and Draw. Along with other characters that had reuse sides, the one would just tear through enemies. Last fight was The Hand and the rampage character rolled into two Quad Use sides, used charge to start a Quad Use side with 4 pips, attacked The Hand, reused the side and just tore through the fight in one turn.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

i've been addicted to custom heaven runs with all orange teams. hit 100 wins yesterday and can't stop. getting infinite rerolls and murdering everything with cantrip sides has just been pure catharsis (juggler is the best character in the game)

Kuros posted:

I've been enjoying Generate Heaven runs to see what kind of broken poo poo I can get.

going to try this though

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I just unlocked Loot Mode. 13 achievements left, and they're probably all impossible or next thing to. The ones I see are "pick Soul Link" - I've never seen it and don't even know if it's unlocked - Unfair victory, Classic Hard 2-streak, Classic Unfair 2-streak, and losing to Alpha 10 times (my current stats: 252 wins from 252 fights).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Loot Heaven is a blast. You can get some really fun, goofy combos, but you still have to actually think and work with what you have, since taking down Dragon/Hexia/the Hand with an entire party of level 1 mooks is always gonna be a little dicey (:v:) even with a pile of blessings and items. You gotta fit 'em together and make them into something greater!!

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Jedit posted:

I just unlocked Loot Mode. 13 achievements left, and they're probably all impossible or next thing to. The ones I see are "pick Soul Link" - I've never seen it and don't even know if it's unlocked - Unfair victory, Classic Hard 2-streak, Classic Unfair 2-streak, and losing to Alpha 10 times (my current stats: 252 wins from 252 fights).

Classic hard streak isn’t bad at all. Doom, + wisp or goblin, + wisp or goblin every third turn, and poison are all pretty minor on their own. Just need to line them up twice in a row.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Tann since you read this thread, I don't know if it's down the line but I think Custom Party Generate would be a fun addition. I would love to see what a party of generated 5 blues could do.

Edit: lmao, didn't need to use the dice, just kept rerolling:

Kuros fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 4, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Finally, this took me so so many attempts to get 20 turns no blues. In the end the first time I got such a perfect combo of blessings it went very smoothly.

I'm pretty sure it would be fairly doable with a straight 20 points of blessings if you got to pick them, but rerolling for them takes so long.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I've been playing this game for who knows how long, and today was the first time I saw the silly little easter egg for a Ludus killing a suduL: "goodbye, brother." I love this loving game :allears:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
First time I've run into 3x Alpha. It's a gut punch when they all hit their summon three rounds in a row and you've got the shield 1 on damage curse active

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That curse will straight up kill you. It's a matter of when, not if. Absolutely loathe that one

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Bought the full version, and man the game really opens up past 12 between the classes and items you start to get access to.

Raine posted:

(juggler is the best character in the game)
:hmmyes:

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Thorns is waiting for you

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Half of Dracula posted:

Thorns is waiting for you

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I'm pretty sure that well over half my final boss encounters so far have been Hexia. Downside, I hate her so much (it's not so much that she isn't balanced as it is that it feels like her design punishes you for interacting with 90% of the game systems, which forces you to always go for certain builds). Upside, I'm getting better at consistently beating her. Just mulched her with an all red party, which was interesting. Most of the party had something between 20-30 HP by the end of the fight.

...it may have been on easy, because I figured trying all red on a harder mode wouldn't be very fun.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Lemony posted:

I'm pretty sure that well over half my final boss encounters so far have been Hexia.

You can go take a look at that stat in the almanac!

Hexia is definitely the boss I have with the worst kill ratio.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Hexia is probably the rudest final boss overall, but imo she's also the most important and cleverly-designed boss of the lot - because once you learn to build your team with the intention of taking her out, you start more consistently beating all of the bosses. Hexia teaches you to always have a plan B, or at least to know the counters to your specific build and make sure you have some sort of counter-counter on hand. She's a thinker fight, a nefarious riddle of an endboss, and I believe that's for the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hexia teaches the most important rule in life.

We're all going to die, the important part is how much we hurt our enemies before we succumb to them.