Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Florida Panthers barely squeaked into the NHL playoffs then went on to beat the Bruins who had the best record ever in NHL history - coming back from 3-1 to move to the next round. Then trounced the Maple Leafs who were #2 seeded. And just now blanked the Hurricanes who were #1 in their division. Now they are in the Stanley Cup finals.

Miracles can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

often have I heard a variation of the phrase, "if this were a movie people would say it's too unbelievable" referring to sports

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They talk about Richmond not being great in the past, but they were already at least a consistently "not relegated" team, right? I can't remember if Rebecca had gutted the team back when it was more like she was intentionally destroying the team.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Vintersorg posted:

The Florida Panthers barely squeaked into the NHL playoffs then went on to beat the Bruins who had the best record ever in NHL history - coming back from 3-1 to move to the next round. Then trounced the Maple Leafs who were #2 seeded. And just now blanked the Hurricanes who were #1 in their division. Now they are in the Stanley Cup finals.

Miracles can happen.

American sports have caps that keep the teams all within a similar financial band of competitiveness though - a team like AFC Richmond shouldn't even be close to the top, they're the same team basically since relegation. Man City's squad would be worth 4x more than theirs if you keep the team analogs actually true.

Leicester City winning was a wake up call to all the huge clubs that they need to have even bigger squads to manage the game load of being in multiple deep cup runs year after year - there's so much money at the top lol

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You do see it in college football though. UCF went 0-12 in 2015 and 13-0 in 2017.

They're also, year to year, completely over matched by the top level teams. UCF is who you schedule for your early season win.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 25, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s not just the fact that a title run by a minnow team is impossible; it’s that the show aggressively reminds us that Ted is completely clueless and that his coaching team sees success with basic, outdated tactics.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
but he DID independently invent total football which requires an absolutely insane amount of physical conditioning which simply cannot be done in the middle of a season the way the show thinks

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Leicester city won the premier league two seasons after winning promotion, nobody remembers Claudio Ranieri as one of the most legendary coaches in the history of the game despite this stupendous achievement

A fair point well made, tbf

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

but he DID independently invent total football which requires an absolutely insane amount of physical conditioning which simply cannot be done in the middle of a season the way the show thinks

They at least had Roy call out the stupidity of that move. And then it ended up working, so.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!
Gonna be Jamie's new stepdad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I enjoyed the triumphant return of my favorite character this season: the way Jamie says "poopeh"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Püpeh

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Pewpay

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
This past episode was some of the most embarrassing television I've ever watched, in pretty much all regards. Absolute trash.

I love this stupid loving show with all my heart and I'm going to miss it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So. Nate. At the end of last season we see him being a supposed brilliant tactician and a complete rear end in a top hat to the people he is in charge of. Ted is clueless but has enough people around that his team can kind of slide by tactically but is also supposedly a super effective motivator and coach. There is an obvious contrast here. This season though, Nate is still brilliant and Ted is still clueless but motivating, and there are zero consequences or effects of Nate being a complete rear end in a top hat, nor do we see this. So either Nate spontaneously decided not to be a dick for some reason and we just never saw it (tbf, we never saw him quit either so...) or he is still being a dick and it has had absolutely zero effect on his team.

What the gently caress.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I think the idea was that seeing all the stuff on twitter fed his ego and from there he choice to be a dick? In general the twitter thing never paid off despite being shown several different times. There wasn't even a little scene of him scrolling through negative feedback of him quitting and then putting the phone down to show that he's moved past his fixation on it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
So is Ted also going to quit between episodes and it's up to Nate to win the title in the last game? City are still up by 2 points iirc so ted could win and not get the title

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

ilmucche posted:

So is Ted also going to quit between episodes and it's up to Nate to win the title in the last game? City are still up by 2 points iirc so ted could win and not get the title

this is what is going to happen yeah

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

So. Nate. At the end of last season we see him being a supposed brilliant tactician and a complete rear end in a top hat to the people he is in charge of. Ted is clueless but has enough people around that his team can kind of slide by tactically but is also supposedly a super effective motivator and coach. There is an obvious contrast here. This season though, Nate is still brilliant and Ted is still clueless but motivating, and there are zero consequences or effects of Nate being a complete rear end in a top hat, nor do we see this. So either Nate spontaneously decided not to be a dick for some reason and we just never saw it (tbf, we never saw him quit either so...) or he is still being a dick and it has had absolutely zero effect on his team.

What the gently caress.

They had to make room for psychic nonsense and insanely rich people being upset about not having babies.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

What the gently caress.

My guess is that Nate was suppose to have a bigger spiral and/or realize the corrupting influence in a more grand way of Anthony Head's character. It feels like they just kinda abandonded the story half way through the arc, which is a shame because Nick Mohammed feels like a super talented actor.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

If they find some way to shoehorn it in to the finale I will lose my poo poo

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ilmucche posted:

Obviously, Manchester will get a draw on the last game. When Rochmond wins theirs it goes by goal difference which we have no idea about. I chose to belive that those teams are perfectly even on like 7 different criterias so it comes down to Ted making the final tactical decission: Heads or Tails?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 26, 2023

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
they're going to lose it on fair play after that match where they tried to kill the other team

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
We don't know what Manchester had been up too.

It turns out every single game against Westham was like that. Richmond will win, because they were the only ones who were at least civil in the rematch.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

cant cook creole bream posted:

Obviously, Manchester will get a draw on the last game. When Rochmond wins theirs it goes by goal difference which we have no idea about. I chose to belive that those teams are perfectly even on like 7 different criterias so it comes down to Ted making the final tactical decission: Heads or Tails?

Instead of having to make the decision he gives the win and title to the other team, and the fans run him out of town over the end credits.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

bobjr posted:

Instead of having to make the decision he gives the win and title to the other team, and the fans run him out of town over the end credits.

Play the Benny Hills theme over it and it will be a triumph.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ilmucche posted:

this is almost definitely what it's going to be, because of course they can't remember how big a deal they made about ted not liking leaving without closure

or I guess him learning to ghost people is how he grows up

god I'm so tired of this waiting to be annoyed, I should have just waited until the entire season was out

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

What the gently caress.

I knew this show was always gonna lean towards a feel-good confusion but this rushed resolution with Nate is so embarrassingly bad. All of it feels very lazy and unearned.

They made him a convincing rear end in a top hat, escalating in depravity, then abruptly dropped it because he got laid.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I can't imagine he just leaves right then and there after the convo with Rebecca, surely his conscious can wait one more week or whatever after being there 3 years. I bet most of the episode will be Ted trying to figure out how he's going to tell the team he's leaving while also not wanting to screw up their preparation for the final game. Then he goes and tells them while they're down at half time, but instead of bumming them all out they use it to go out and win it for Ted (then they take 2nd anyways due to final standings).

That or Ted tells Nate he needs to give the speech to invigorate them but Nate only knows how to insult them (or rip up another believe sign)

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If they find some way to shoehorn it in to the finale I will lose my poopeh
fixed

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you think one of the writers just heard Phil Dunster say "poopeh" one time and now they keep writing it into the show?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

ilmucche posted:

City is up by one point after the Richmond win. At the press conference with Roy/Jamie/Sam at the beginning of the last episode it's mentioned they're down four with two matches to go.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm wondering where Jamie picked up that Mancunian accent when neither of his parents (I think, can't remember his dad) had much of one.

Just a Royle Family superfan growing up or what

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Data Graham posted:

I'm wondering where Jamie picked up that Mancunian accent when neither of his parents (I think, can't remember his dad) had much of one.

Just a Royle Family superfan growing up or what

I'm guessing he was raised in Manchester since his mum lives there?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
We couldn't get a comprehensible Nate storyline because we needed Katy Wix to still have nothing to do on hour four of watching Keeleh's barely existing PR firm.

I can't believe that

• Zava
• Jack
• Shandy

were all this season.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I had to think for a second because I completely forgot about Shandy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Tweak posted:

I had to think for a second because I completely forgot about Shandy

Wow a show writer posting ITT. TVIV is good again.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

anytime I think of the Pep handshake I can’t help but chuckle. he came to my city for the MLS All-Star Game and crankily huffed around avoiding shaking the MLS coach’s hand.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Ted leaves, Roy and Nate and beard coach the team to a nail biter finish, winning with a Lasso Special.

Henry finds Ted dead by self-inflicted gunshot wound.

[roll credits]
YEEEEEAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

My guess is that Nate was suppose to have a bigger spiral and/or realize the corrupting influence in a more grand way of Anthony Head's character. It feels like they just kinda abandonded the story half way through the arc, which is a shame because Nick Mohammed feels like a super talented actor.

Yeah it all made very little sense. He quit his EPL head coaching job (where he's doing great) because his boss wanted him to bang hookers with him one night?