Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It really makes you FEEL like gollum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Runa posted:

That just sort of doubles back around to the question of who the game was even for, who out there wanted to play as Gollum Lord of the Rings?

Right, out of all the fantasies you could roleplay in a LOTR videogame exactly how many people were saying “I always wanted to play as the mentally-destroyed troglodyte gremlin that the characters all hate”

There’s some appeal in taking a game with a custom character creator and making a hosed up little goblin man to laugh when your creation shows up in the cutscenes but this is not that

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I could see a Gollum game, a stealth adventure across Middle-Earth, Shadow of Mordor/War except you can't fight back. But sadly they've hosed up and we aren't going to get a good proper stealth game for a long time.

Orv posted:

It was a joke about early lighting methods and chemistry :argh:

queen victoria, a classic girlboss

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Looking forward to a Grima Wormtongue game next

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

kazil posted:

Looking forward to a Grima Wormtongue game next

that's CK3 as an intrigue character

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

quote:

Do you think Margaret Thatcher had Girl Power?
Do you think she effectively utilized girl power by funneling money into illegal paramilitary death camps in Northern Ireland?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I do not, in fact, gotta hand it to Margaret Thatcher

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Mordja posted:

I been thinking. All of these shooters are now chasing after the Extraction game craze...but does that craze even exist?

I'm starting to lose track of the various bandwagons now. There was the '[Random Franchise] but in a go-kart' thing, the '[Random Franchise] but with tower defense' thing, '[Random Franchise] but as a card game' thing (also make it mobile), '[Random Franchise] but as a survival game with crafting' thing (also shoehorn in some zombies), and then the '[Random Franchise] but as a massively multiplayer battle royale game' thing that I feel like just ended before 'Extraction Game' came along.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Grima sounds more interesting as at least there could be new facets. Gollum is a boring character we already know everything about. A farming sim game about Bilbo's lovely relatives who wanted his money would be more interesting.

Actually, make it about Sam after the events of LOTR and I'd be into Lord of the Rings: Tale of Samwise: Potato Quest.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

EricFate posted:

I'm starting to lose track of the various bandwagons now. There was the '[Random Franchise] but in a go-kart' thing, the '[Random Franchise] but with tower defense' thing, '[Random Franchise] but as a card game' thing (also make it mobile), '[Random Franchise] but as a survival game with crafting' thing (also shoehorn in some zombies), and then the '[Random Franchise] but as a massively multiplayer battle royale game' thing that I feel like just ended before 'Extraction Game' came along.

Don't forget about [Random Franchise(s)] but Smash Bros

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Team Fortress 3: Extraction

monkeypaw.gif

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Any reports about the Ork dlc faction for Battlesector? I feel like a sucker, but they have me interested.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
As part of the big Warhammer sale accompanying Skulls, Gladius, the 40k 4X is free. https://store.steampowered.com/app/489630/Warhammer_40000_Gladius__Relics_of_War/

EDIT: Tying into that, anything that anybody recommends from the sale?

Jossar fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 25, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t really think “extraction game” is some big craze. Tarkov is popular with the kind of people who play ArmA, and DMZ is an also-ran game mode in CoD. Maybe Marathon will blow it up, I don’t know, but it kinda feels like studios are just fishing for something new rather than responding to demand.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don’t really think “extraction game” is some big craze. Tarkov is popular with the kind of people who play ArmA, and DMZ is an also-ran game mode in CoD. Maybe Marathon will blow it up, I don’t know, but it kinda feels like studios are just fishing for something new rather than responding to demand.

I don’t think the ArmA Tarkov Venn diagram is actually all that singular tbh. They serve extremely different needs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Orv posted:

I don’t think the ArmA Tarkov Venn diagram is actually all that singular tbh. They serve extremely different needs.

All the people I know who play Tarkov are totally ok laying prone for an hour without shooting anything so I’m not sure about that

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is a really good game and definitely worth it for free.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

All the people I know who play Tarkov are totally ok laying prone for an hour without shooting anything so I’m not sure about that

Sounds like they should press W more and not be babies.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Runa posted:

who out there wanted to play as Gollum Lord of the Rings?

Andy Serkis?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jossar posted:

As part of the big Warhammer sale accompanying Skulls, Gladius, the 40k 4X is free. https://store.steampowered.com/app/489630/Warhammer_40000_Gladius__Relics_of_War/

Get BattleSector, its as close to the table top game as we've ever gotten.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

really glad he didn't get dragged into this mess

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Jossar posted:

Dawn of War and its expansions were a lot of fun back in the day, can't say how well they hold up to modern standards. Might still be worth it since you can get them all in one package for $10 with the sale. Dawn of War 2 changed things a lot and shifted to more squad-based RTS tactics rather than base building and I didn't care for it as much, never played the third game but apparently they hosed it up and everyone hated it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
DoW2 has the best single player content out of them all IMO unless you really like mid-2000s RTS campaign design

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dawn of War 1 + expansions need a few patches/mods to clean up some stuff, but they still hold up I think. If only because the presentation is so drat good with some of the best voice acting of all time. Though they also have a few smart design choices that set them apart from other RTSes. Dark Crusade in particular has a kickass Risk-style campaign mode where you conquer the map by playing skirmishes against the AI. (Soulstorm does the same, but worse, but it's also the one to get for mod support. Also the Sisters of Battle. :flame:)

Dawn of War 2 + expansions go off in an entirely different direction with a squad tactics focus. The campaign(s) are excellent and, at least imo, really shine in co-op where instead of juggling four squads by your self it's 2+2 split between you and a buddy. Once again the voice acting is exquisite and the story's actually pretty good too. The real secret sauce is that campaign mode adds on a whole RPG layer where you're earning skill points to unlock perks and finding Diablo-esque unique equipment to customize your squads and how they play. It starts to border on being a MOBA-esque PVE experience in a good way. On the other hand, skirmish mode is...there. Do not buy DoW2 expecting to play against the AI in skirmish, because they didn't bother to program one that knows how to actually play the game, just capture points. Some people actually like skirmish PVP, but the whole thing is so much more fiddly and awkward compared to the campaign mode, IMO. Thirdly you also have Last Stand which I think is mildly overrated but it's overall a pretty fun little diversion in the form of a 3 player survival mode. Similar MOBA thing, albeit simplified, where you customize your gear which also doubles as your access to different abilities.

Dawn of War 3 tried to find a compromise between the style of the first game and the second game while also chasing esports and is by all accounts a total mess of a game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jossar posted:

The Total War Warhammer games are amazing. I haven't gotten very far in it, but chaos gate daemonhunters seems like a good x-com clone. I also enjoyed Space Marine as a pretty fun 3rd person action game (with sneaky great multiplayer at release) but it's cost seems a little pricey for its age.

Warhammer Inquisitor: Martyr is actually a pretty fun ARPG if you pick the psycher, but with games like Diablo 4 around the corner not sure if it's worth it.

Dawn of War 1 and 2 are great (the Dark Crusade expansion to 1 was one of my favorite games for a long time).

I also enjoyed Hired Gun but I got it very cheap and it's kind of janky.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

FuzzySlippers posted:

The gollum game seemed like such a bad idea from the start. Even when I was a kid and really into lotr I never fantasized about an action adventure game where you play as loving gollum.

Though I've always thought in general all the lotr games were too action driven. So much of the books are about wandering around and seeing new places. Gimme a chill game where I can hang out with hobbits and get high with wizards instead of saving the world. We already know the assholes who save the world just let me soak in the scenery.

Space Engine But LOTR would probably sell an incredible amount of copies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Someone please make me a next-gen open world middle earth RPG that is single player, and is both the out world, and Moria, fully explorable.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The gollum game looks like those sections in a game that is inserted to break up the monotony of the real gameplay and usually sucks but is over quickly. But then they stretched it out into an entire game of only that and added ridiculous dlc bullshit on top of that. The sneaky Gollum sections in Shadow of War come to mind.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'll also put in a word for Mechanicus and to a lesser extent Battlefleet Gothic (2 in particular is supposed to be the better game).

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Ork vehicle combat game is what I'm interested in. There's a playtest you can sign up for, got in after a couple hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGojclTI8vQ

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2078450/Warhammer_40000_Speed_Freeks/

Surprised this isn't a bigger genre tbh

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Mechanicus is pretty good. It's got great sound design if nothing else.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Diephoon posted:

Surprised this isn't a bigger genre tbh

It died many eons ago, frankly for probably good reason, most of the entries across its existence have been dreadful.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jossar posted:

Mechanicus and Space Marine are also good

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
If Deamonhunter is in your price range don't sleep on it. As an XCOM style game I think it's better than Mechanicus, though Grey Knights are a bit of a snoozer compared to Ad Mech.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

John Murdoch posted:

Dawn of War 1 + expansions need a few patches/mods to clean up some stuff, but they still hold up I think. If only because the presentation is so drat good with some of the best voice acting of all time. Though they also have a few smart design choices that set them apart from other RTSes. Dark Crusade in particular has a kickass Risk-style campaign mode where you conquer the map by playing skirmishes against the AI. (Soulstorm does the same, but worse, but it's also the one to get for mod support. Also the Sisters of Battle. :flame:)

Dawn of War 2 + expansions go off in an entirely different direction with a squad tactics focus. The campaign(s) are excellent and, at least imo, really shine in co-op where instead of juggling four squads by your self it's 2+2 split between you and a buddy. Once again the voice acting is exquisite and the story's actually pretty good too. The real secret sauce is that campaign mode adds on a whole RPG layer where you're earning skill points to unlock perks and finding Diablo-esque unique equipment to customize your squads and how they play. It starts to border on being a MOBA-esque PVE experience in a good way. On the other hand, skirmish mode is...there. Do not buy DoW2 expecting to play against the AI in skirmish, because they didn't bother to program one that knows how to actually play the game, just capture points. Some people actually like skirmish PVP, but the whole thing is so much more fiddly and awkward compared to the campaign mode, IMO. Thirdly you also have Last Stand which I think is mildly overrated but it's overall a pretty fun little diversion in the form of a 3 player survival mode. Similar MOBA thing, albeit simplified, where you customize your gear which also doubles as your access to different abilities.

Dawn of War 3 tried to find a compromise between the style of the first game and the second game while also chasing esports and is by all accounts a total mess of a game.

While I agree that DoW is a lot more polished I would warn new players that all the missions in later DLC play out nearly identically if you replay it with a different race. The first ones that focus entirely on the blood ravens doesn't have that issue, but the expansions just slot the new heroes in on the same missions.

It's not really an issue if you stick with the guys you like but if you are expecting a bespoke campaign for all like 10 races you'll be disappointed.

E. Also, if anyone gets Gladius for the first time there's an issue with it where certain holes in army rosters get plugged by DLC units, the most egregious being the Orks that don't get a two tile ranged infantry unit unless you get the Reinforcement Pack. If you get the package its not an issue, but otherwise might want to see what its on hand while the sale is on.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 26, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Unrelated:

Liberté is a self proclaimed "deck-builder roguelite" set in Paris in 1789, except some for some reason Louis XVI died before anti-monarchist sentiment fully set in, and in the middle of crowning of a successor who could maybe fix things, a Lovecraftian abomination pops out of the ground and everything goes to pot. In the ensuing scuffle, the bishop dies and the crown gets lost before soldiers force the entity to retreat under the streets of Paris, which unfortunately takes the opportunity to explode into violence again. Except this time because of all the blatant magic nonsense going on, and the idea that there could have been a good enough king to grant the third estate's requests, it's a much more equal four way free for all between the Monarchists, the Revolutionaries... and some kind of inquisitorial Witch Hunters, and a bunch of magic users called the Tribe who do rituals to pacify the dead.

All of Liberté is like this.

The combat is this sort of Curse of the Dead Gods/Hades-esque high emphasis on dashing roguelite ARPG thing. Your primary skills are drawn from a deck of cards, with you burning some cards to get the energy you need to place others on your skill bar. Curses and blessings are provided by the supernatural entity to vary your runs. This is all very good... except the combat is floaty and at least early on it's way too easy to either get trapped by opponents or find yourself running around dodging attacks due to numbers disadvantages unless you draw a room-clearing skill.

The story, if a bit wonky, is at least compelling. You play as Rene, some Parisian dude who got suckered into acting as the avatar of the Lovecraftian entity under her claim that she just wants to help out the people of Paris/humanity as a whole. You get introduced to members of all of the four factions within 20 minutes and told to look among them for a worthy person to crown as the new King of France... but despite the game wanting you to gain favor with all of the factions (there's a set of faction meters with unlocks), it immediately tries to undermine the idea that the factions are equally valid by having several of them be obviously unsympathetic. Also the voice acting and some of the dialogue writing feels really awkward, not even bad per se, just stilted or extraneous in places.

I really wanted to like this. It's a theoretically really cool game, and maybe it all eventually gels together and works if you play it long enough, but at least for me all of the minor problems added up really quickly and made it unpalatable.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 26, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Nancy posted:

If Deamonhunter is in your price range don't sleep on it. As an XCOM style game I think it's better than Mechanicus, though Grey Knights are a bit of a snoozer compared to Ad Mech.

It's dumb as hell that game doesn't let you adjust the difficulty without restarting the campaign 😐

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Dahar Insaat is expanding its client profile
The probability of being killed by a toilet has just significantly increased.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

"Shattle"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I have a steam question- someone managed to get into my steam account and change the password/was in the process of selling my inventory for whatever reason. My email did get hacked, so plausibly they could have gotten the password there. I’m a little confused how they would have gotten through Steam Guard tho (I have the mobile app for authentication). Is it just that when you have access to someone’s email they can use that instead of the Steam guard app for 2FA? Basically I just want to be sure this doesn’t indicated people somehow have access to my phone or smth. The account itself is recovered and I changed the password etc.