Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Holy fuuuuck

Easily one of the best episodes of the whole series.

That final:

Jameo is probably the best one in the field to figure out a breaking meta for a Huge that actually finally works. Just about everyone has always relied on the fact that Huge just hasn't been very good, so they've kinda ignored creative counters (other than cowcatcher)

ante fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rip Minotaur, really tough break on the bracket there

uh, did Ethan chop his finger off or something? COVID holy poo poo

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 26, 2023

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have never been so happy with how the final episode went. Most of my favorites were there and that final fight was amazing. Such a great episode. I always believed in Huge, but you have to give it to Sawblaze. They picked a risky attachment but they had a plan and it paid off. Everyone should be proud of what they accomplished. This sport has come so far.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Ribbot/Hydra with the most bizarre fight I ever watched

Huge rules and I hope it leads to a shakeup of the 4 wheel vert meta

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Between the Ribbot/Hydra stare down, and the Ribbot/Sawblaze waltz, I've never been so excited for robots not hitting each other.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

nice appeal Riptide, you losers

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1661906804304134144

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It did still look like a close fight, that was totally worth an appeal.

They;re totally losers though lol

Huge was super classy about not appealing. Not a close fight though, they got rocked.

ante fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 26, 2023

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ante posted:

It did still look like a close fight, that was totally worth an appeal.

They;re totally losers though lol

Huge was super classy about not appealing. Not a close fight though, they got rocked.

Yeah, the belts made that very clear.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mikencr sighting behind the judges after the final. lookin good dude

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Borsche69 posted:

mikencr sighting behind the judges after the final. lookin good dude

Thanks, made a lot of positive changes the last few years.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Also, about Sawblaze:

Of three fights, he managed to take out two batteries, and the only exposed vulnerability on the third.

That's after he talked about taking out Minotaur's batteries the previous fight, and knowing exactly where they are.

I'm beginning to think this guy knows what he's doing, and can actually target stuff

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I'm not sure why sawblaze needed the cradle part of his huge attachment. Seems like all it did was give huge something to hit and the eyebrows did all the work.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

MikeNCR posted:

Thanks, made a lot of positive changes the last few years.

good to hear man. you're a big part of what makes this sport cool. appreciate the work you put in

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

I'm not sure why sawblaze needed the cradle part of his huge attachment. Seems like all it did was give huge something to hit and the eyebrows did all the work.

:hmmyes:

The cradle didn't work until Sawblaze managed to snipe half Huge's weapon belts and slowed it down a ton. Those eyebrows were great though.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Great Beer posted:

it was to basically blunt huge's weapon so it doesn't have a direct line to the arm belt, i believe. i wouldve liked it lower to the ground but i think that also runs the risk of deflecting or huge bouncing weird and they snipe it anyway. i was hoping they were just gonna put a thick as gently caress cover over the chain that runs the arm, but i guess this works too.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

The cradle didn't work until Sawblaze managed to snipe half Huge's weapon belts and slowed it down a ton. Those eyebrows were great though.

its cool that huge was the one sniping everyones weapon belts throughout the tourney and in the fight nights only for it to get uno reversed on them

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

lol eat poo poo Riptide

Huge/Sawblaze fight was great and while I wanted to see Huge go all the way, Sawblaze totally earned that win and deserves to be champs. What a wonderful season.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I was pulling for Huge, but Sawblaze were worthy winners. I'm not sure how effective the cradle thing was in the end, but his plan worked out. There is a version of this fight Huge wins if Sawblaze bounces the wrong way when popped in the air and gets hit again. Jamison is a loving surgeon with that hammersaw

Second half of the fight reminded of Huges fights vs Whiplash where they got mucked together and Huge couldn't do much in the clinch

But non 4 wheel verts are cool :toot:

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 26, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol Battlebots is gonna go back to Huge's schedule being

Fight 1: Horizontal spinner
Fight 2: Whatever new bot is the weirdest shape
Fight 3: Horizontal spinner
Fight 4: Random gimmick bot

Like it was for several seasons

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The cradle was getting pretty bent in by the end of the fight. Jamo should've welded Copperhead's drum to Sawblaze instead.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

lol Battlebots is gonna go back to Huge's schedule being

Fight 1: Horizontal spinner
Fight 2: Whatever new bot is the weirdest shape
Fight 3: Horizontal spinner
Fight 4: Random gimmick bot

Like it was for several seasons

it is cool how much they NEVER wanted it to fight vert spinners, probably for this exact reason. there were a couple signs up this season too calling the fight night people cowards and telling them to let huge fight a vert

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Never forget Huge disabled Bite Force's weapon and was going to win until Huge inexplicably fell apart on its own

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Never forget Huge disabled Bite Force's weapon and was going to win until Huge inexplicably fell apart on its own

lol but it was pretty expliciably torn apart by icewave right before that

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
An all-timer episode and two of my favorite teams in the finals. I really wish that Huge had gone all the way, but the win was well-deserved. I'm just glad that a four wheel vert didn't take it again

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

nice appeal Riptide, you losers

The ending clip where Copperhead got a hero's welcome after beating Riptide was big lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That was an amazing finale, congratz to MikeNCR and everyone else behind the scenes for making it all possible

Considering how well Endgame and Sawblaze have done these last few years I'm wondering if the new winning meta is teams who do meticulous research & planning against their opponents for every fight

The ending clip where Copperhead got a hero's welcome after beating Riptide was big lol

LOL yep

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

]The cradle didn't work until Sawblaze managed to snipe half Huge's weapon belts and slowed it down a ton. Those eyebrows were great though.

The cradle (and brows too) definitely worked for Sawblaze. Instead of hitting anything important, Huge just hit the cradle and Sawblaze bounced away from most of the hits (except when they landed on Huge). Huge isn't quite mobile enough to get a good follow up hit most of the time.

Really cool final, would like both teams to have the Giant Nut, but that's not possible. Happy for Jamison Go and the team for getting the giant nut. He puts so much time and effort into the sport and built a good team around him.

Also cool to see NHRL well represented in the final 4. With Team Ribbot, Sawblaze, and Huge being regular competitors (Although team Huge didn't compete at all during covid, but returned last year).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
God drat, that whole episode was incredibly satisfying

Except for the Hydra/Ribbot fight. I was yelling at my TV to force them to restart the match and actually fight the second time around

I was rooting for Huge, but it's great to see Jamison finally get a Nut and vindication for control bots. Going into it, I assumed Huge had it easily and the first minute seemed like it wasn't going that way. But that one shot where they got the weapon belt completely turned it around

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Not much to add except yeah, excellent final and excellent show.

My heart was for Huge but my head was for Sawblaze, so I was grinning from ear to ear at the end. I was extremely sceptical about Sawblaze's enhancements but they pulled it off, and how.

Seems like it worked in two stages for them, the scoop initially took a lot of the impact, then those eyebrows worked perfectly to push Huge around once they'd neutered it. Once Go figured that out, they took full advantage of it. What a great fight, and props to Huge for the graceful handling of the Appeal question.

I was extremely ready for Riptide to win, Copperhead did an amazing job destroying them. I thought the lad driving Riptide did a great job, so props to him too.

Great season. Happy outcome. Win all round!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Best episode of the best season, with the best final.

Really enjoyed the vintage clip of Warhead breakdancing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
some really good quarterfinal fights

minotaur v sawblaze was solid as heck. big fan of the sawblaze team, and it was wild to see minotaur burning for most of that fight

hydra v ribbot was a good tactical fight. watching them shuffle gently in front of each other then one good attack being all it took was fun.

copperhead v riptide wild poo poo. i think copperhead did enough to win that, hopefully they can get things fixed. Seeing riptide's weapon break was impressive. Nice to see riptide is still sore about "adversity", I hope they gently caress off and learn some humility in the off season

oh they did end up appealing. I get it because it's knockout and there's nothing to lose but gently caress off riptide

semifinals

lmao the opening ballet of death of ribbot and sawblaze ruled. fighting in the fog must've been awful for the drivers

Not sure how any vertical spinner fights huge.

really happy for this final. Both huge and sawblaze seem like really good friendly teams. will be interesting to see how sawblaze handles the giant wheels.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 26, 2023

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I have to do a proper rewatch but that was probably the best Battlebots episode I can recall. What a delight on every level. Some of the best work I've ever seen by true bot professionals. But it's also the best fun.

I loved that when we first seeJamison and he says he wants to see Minotaur burn to the ground the edit doesn't quite cut off his giggle before going to Marco. That's how much fun he's having! And then that first fight, just a killer. No one who's seen Jamo work at NHRL would doubt his driving ability, but the execution of that fight must have terrified everyone. This guy has a SPREADSHEET.

Witch Doctor v Huge was a yawn. Hydra v Ribbot was frankly a surprise, if Ribbot could manage this why couldn't anyone else, it just seems to be a lucky chance option (and you could say the same with anyone v Huge, it's a meta thing), or maybe we should just blame the floor. At least Jake is a good loser, not like the Riptide LOSERS hahaha. Anything can happen because it's Battlebots baby! I'm only guessing that it was Ethan who asked for the appeal because the other guys seemed to be good sports about it and I can't fault Felix.

edit: wow I just caught the whole backstage applause for Copperheads win over Riptide, that's a real 'we're sick of your poo poo' vibe right there.

Carousel of bot death aside, Ribbot v Sawblaze, was doom for Ribbot from Sawblaze's first hit. The rest was just Ribbot refusing to die. And then Copperhead tried its luck against Huge with no better luck than Witch Doctor had, it was a waste of time. The only strategy that appears to work against Huge is the strategy Jamo used, an effective way to hold Huge back (control) and strike at its weapon (damage) to which Huge had no effective counter except to try to escape which Sawblaze would not let it do. That driving control really was the edge in the fight, Jamo was the better driver, and that is the real meta.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 26, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
that was a great final. both teams went out and had fun. i liked jonathan's point about how they seem to fight more gimmicks than regular bots.

fight of they year for me still feels like it's black dragon v ripperoni

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Glumslinger posted:

Except for the Hydra/Ribbot fight. I was yelling at my TV to force them to restart the match and actually fight the second time around

Honestly I think that was the best tactic for defeating Hydra, Jake always sits in the middle of the box and waits for his opponent to make a mistake and using the same ploy against him at least gives you 50/50 odds even if it's boring to watch. Trying to run circles around him never works out for anyone and they always get bored and decide to boxrush him which inevitably starts the flipathon.

Ever since the meta turned into "whoever wins the ground game wins the match" this was always going to be the inevitable conclusion: two bots with either insanely low skirts or insanely long forks just constantly feeling each other out. If anything I'm surprised we haven't seen it happen more often.

Esoter1c
Jul 18, 2007
Do you know me?
So many of you have said it all already, I'll be just a bit of an echo chamber but I have to say, I think that was my favourite episode ever. In the quarter finals I was surprised over and over again. I honestly would of bet against every one of those eventual winners in those fights.

Ethan missing out on the quarters because of COVID, it just feels like the right karma. Felix did a good job driving and I feel like that match might not have changed much if Ethan had been there.

I was honestly so worried that Sawblaze's contraption was going to backfire and make for a terrible fight where they lost anyways, but I was so glad it didn't. Huge had that first minute hands down but as soon as Sawblaze took out some power to their weapon it was theirs to take home the rest of the fight. It didn't disappoint and I'm truly happy for Sawblaze taking home the giant nut. I also cannot blame anyone for coming up with different gimmicks to take Huge on, if you don't you end up in a fight like Witch Doctor where you end taking all the hits and being able to dish none.

Alsp, I thought you could only appeal if it was a split decision? Either way Huge showed real sportsmanship in their response.

Couldn't have been happier to cap that big season off with fights and a win like that. My only hope is that the BattleBots producers lay off some of the drama next year. I get it makes for engaging TV storylines but it feels like the show is moving away from being all about competition and more in to that produced for TV reality drama. Not that it's gone far, but it's a trend I hope doesn't continue. I felt like Black Dragon got a bit cheated being put up against Riptide on the cusp of a record, and then just some of the other setups that make for great TV but feel so manufactured in a competition like that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Esoter1c posted:

Ethan missing out on the quarters because of COVID, it just feels like the right karma. Felix did a good job driving and I feel like that match might not have changed much if Ethan had been there.

Internet rumor mill is that Team Riptide openly poo poo on their new driver after the fight and even included "We would have won with Ethan driving" as part of their appeal.

Again, internet rumor so maybe not based in fact. If true, it makes it all the worse that they put a high schooler in a high-pressure situation like that. It was inappropriate; you have actual adults on the team who would be better equipped emotionally to deal with losing a fight they had to drive on short notice. I know teen drivers are somewhat common, but they've got time to prepare at least.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

PostNouveau posted:

"We would have won with Ethan driving" as part of their appeal.
Judge Derek has changed his scoring to "if my grandmother had wheels".

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That's a load of horseshit anyway because the kid they got to drive Riptide did a fine job. Not like he made some huge mistake that cost them the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

If anything he was probably helped by the weapon breaking, right? Since losing all that gyro makes it handle a lot more like a normal RC car? Not that he seemed to be having much trouble before then, that kid rose to the occasion. Hopefully he finds a future in the sport without team douchechill.