Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Some villages are others are more spread out and have integrated into nearby cultures and nations. The whole ff12 style stupid lore style viera are essentially a bunch of hyper conservative traditionalists.

Yeah this. Rabanstre apparently had a pretty sizable Viera population for instance. I think it’s safe to say for both the cats and the rabbits that there are traditional conservative rural villages and also groups that are more cosmopolitan and integrated into the cities. There’s a suncat minority in La Noscea for example, but we don’t know if there are any tribes there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Viera are supposed to be relatively rare but turns out becoming a PC race means they are more common than humans

I don't have any trouble believing that a ton of Viera would get the barest hint of the outside world and immediately make getting the gently caress out of Ye Olde Woode Elfe country a top priority

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah this. Rabanstre apparently had a pretty sizable Viera population for instance. I think it’s safe to say for both the cats and the rabbits that there are traditional conservative rural villages and also groups that are more cosmopolitan and integrated into the cities. There’s a suncat minority in La Noscea for example, but we don’t know if there are any tribes there.

Yeah both of their examples of viera and suncats are largely not how viera and sun cats in game actually live outside of a handful of incredibly insular communities that are textually conservative.

Lord Magmar is confusing historical lore about cultures and kind of blanket applying it where it does not bare out like that in the setting as experienced and written.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 25, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hell one of those viera is Lilja, a character created by Matsuno, who even has a "forest name" because second generation viera immigrants don't care about the rules of the homelands they've never been to.

None of the playable races in FFXIV are a monoculture (well except the Xaela who are 26 different monocultures)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It tooks awhile, but Dalamud is back up and running again.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm surprised that I found nothing interesting about this patch's MSQ. I struggle to even think of any specific problems to point at. It's like everything is going through the motions of an interesting story without the substance to make me give a poo poo. Even the hints at later stuff didn't offer anything to hook me. Maybe I'm just not invested enough anymore, idk. Hopefully 6.5 will bring me back in.

I didn't like the raid story either but I was already completely checked out on that one. I have been enjoying the alliance raid stuff though.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Failboattootoot posted:

I just hope they retcon all of that lore because it sucks!!!

They don't have to retcon it when, like the Viis of the first if you do their side quest chain, they can begin to relax the restriction on returning.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bard gear optimization before 6.4: "Avoid skill speed at all costs. You'll pick up some, can't be helped."
In 6.4: "somehow we wound up with a full set of no skill speed. Put one materia in and eat a baba ganoush to tweak it *just* enough."

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah both of their examples of viera and suncats are largely not how viera and sun cats in game actually live outside of a handful of incredibly insular communities that are textually conservative.

Lord Magmar is confusing historical lore about cultures and kind of blanket applying it where it does not bare out like that in the setting as experienced and written.

You know what, fair statement here. I should have been more clear that I'm not trying to blanket statement all Viera lore is like that. It's more the specific way it was being brought up with Erenville seemed to fit most with him being from a traditional situation and leaving. I literally until now assumed he was Sharlayan Born, so the idea he wasn't blindsided me.

Obviously like all the player races Viera can have a huge variety of backgrounds and their tribal culture is the very conservative traditional group, just like the Miq'ote which was the point I was actually trying to make. You don't need to change that lore because it is only relevant for the specific part of the world in question. If Erenville is from there neat, we get to interact with traditional Source Viera, could be fun and interesting. If not, still neat we get to see a different culture of Viera.

Chillgamesh posted:

I don't have any trouble believing that a ton of Viera would get the barest hint of the outside world and immediately make getting the gently caress out of Ye Olde Woode Elfe country a top priority

I do agree with this.

But the whole culture not changing thing, remember the Viera traditional culture is as much religion as it is anything else, are you shocked that a highly religious isolationist culture might not have undergone much change, in both the Source and the First (yes I know it is post-apocalyptic, their culture actually wasn't going to survive in the post-flood world in the end). Especially when Viera are also the only player race with an extended lifespan of up to and potentially a bit beyond 300 years. It's a form of devotion, on the Source they devote their lives to protecting the Green Word and the Jungle, on the First they devote their lives to protecting Ronka and its history.

So yeah, I wasn't actually trying to say every Viera ever has the same culture/background or needs to. I was mostly just commenting that the example they have doesn't need changing for the same reason the suncats/mooncats don't, it is their traditional tribal culture not necessarily reflective of all experiences and the game already acknowledges that fact. The Viera one is just neat to me because they're all incredible warrior-guardians and nature protectors regardless of gender which is cool. Erenville in particular going home seemed weird if he was from a traditional Viera culture, and he full well might not be I certainly didn't think about it until he mentioned going home.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm surprised that I found nothing interesting about this patch's MSQ. I struggle to even think of any specific problems to point at. It's like everything is going through the motions of an interesting story without the substance to make me give a poo poo. Even the hints at later stuff didn't offer anything to hook me. Maybe I'm just not invested enough anymore, idk. Hopefully 6.5 will bring me back in.

I didn't like the raid story either but I was already completely checked out on that one. I have been enjoying the alliance raid stuff though.

I thought the MSQ was good but nothing mind blowing, just pretty solid. Although 6.5 and 6.55 are probably gonna be pretty nuts given that they need to wrap everything up plus set up the next expansion.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

E: had a reread, they changed a translation of a thing and now it does seem like he’s from a traditional Viera village.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 26, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

hopeandjoy posted:

E: had a reread, they changed a translation of a thing and now it does seem like he’s from a traditional Viera village.

Yeah I was thinking, the choosing a new name thing is specific to leaving Viera culture, which does make me forgetting reading that short story and noticing he was from a traditional Viera lifestyle until now silly on my part.

It is probably easier for a Male Viera to leave and come back though, given their super isolated lifestyle. They probably communicate with eachother somehow to keep touch and aware of potential threats, but beyond that they're probably not required to attend to the village visits if they don't want to.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 26, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
The Viera are also extremely long lived, which is probably why they're closer to traditional fantasy elves than the elves we have.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

They're Amish.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sirtommygunn posted:

I think it's a combination of them being more used to writing narratives that tie in to the previous MSQ story as a continuation, and a lack of available character growth in the cast they've chosen. Vrtra's mostly written as a complete character who just needs Estinien to kinda reel him back every now and again, and while Zero's arc is satisfying enough, it's also fairly rote and predictable as far as "cold and distant character learns how to love again" archetypes go. As much as I like the Scions, I really hope 7.0 onwards firmly plants them into side character status so a new group can take over, because there's no real room left for the core cast to grow into.

I'm not gonna be too hard on it since there's probably a lot of necessary prep work being done for 7.0 proper, and I imagine FFXVI is taking up a lot of spare resources from CBUIII as it is. Sometimes you get a filler arc in media, and I'm willing to play ball with that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

XVI already went gold, so I assume they shuffled as many people as they could back to XIV

Also watch 6.55 pull another 2.55

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
The MSQ content included more interaction with the moon rabbits and that's enough for me.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

XVI already went gold, so I assume they shuffled as many people as they could back to XIV

Also watch 6.55 pull another 2.55

It's going to be lvl 90 CUL gated and the WoL has picked up a taste for a new variety of... flesh...

Look alive, boys, meat's back on the menu!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

It tooks awhile, but Dalamud is back up and running again.

nael van darnus spotted

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah that's the best way to put it, the current MSQ has real filler arc energy. Its not a bad filler arc, but coming off of two of the most dramatic expansions / stories / grand finales in Final Fantasy history means that its gonna be a step down regardless of what they did.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If it's a filler arc, when are we getting the quest where Estinien learns to drive?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Vitamean posted:

nael van darnus spotted

The Meteor Project is gonna work this time!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One thing that's different is a lot of the time the post-expansion patch content has been wrapping up material from the expansion, and Endwalker was A Definitive End to the story so there's not really a lot left undealt with.

At the same time I kind of like that about it. There's been a vibe where the end of the world stuff is over for a time, we're exploring something new, and now we're starting to ramp up the tension again with a new enemy.

I wasn't crazy about Golbez going "Nah no you didn't beat me fast enough" and just going ahead with The Evil Plan anyway, but I did very much like how at the end Zero was the one to offer hope to the others. She's now at a point where she can start emotionally contributing which is a big step.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Bruceski posted:

Bard gear optimization before 6.4: "Avoid skill speed at all costs. You'll pick up some, can't be helped."
In 6.4: "somehow we wound up with a full set of no skill speed. Put one materia in and eat a baba ganoush to tweak it *just* enough."

part of this is because what stats are the best change over an expansion as you can get more of them from gear and foood. like dhit gets progressively worse as new gear comes out because since its only effect is to increase your chance to get a flat damage bonus, it has diminishing returns. crit used to be this way too but since it also increases crit damage now the opposite is true. my understanding of bard is their ideal gcd is exactly 2.49, because it prevents a minor clipping issue but that wasnt possible to achieve previously without overshooting it or losing a ton of stats elsewhere. now it is at the cost of a single meld slot (trivial) and changing food (minor but a bigger deal than the meld) because the food is now good enough to get you to 2.49

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It's funny that 10 years and 4 expansions in the making, and Crit is still the best substat (as faras I remember and not counting having to meld STR on Tanks or Piety on Healers or Acc on anyone or SpellSpd on BLM maybe?)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

It's funny that 10 years and 4 expansions in the making, and Crit is still the best substat (as faras I remember and not counting having to meld STR on Tanks or Piety on Healers or Acc on anyone or SpellSpd on BLM maybe?)

That's what happens when it is the only exponential stat in a world of linear increases. Crit is both critical strike chance, and critical strike damage, in one stat.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
crit was less universally good back in the day because of the aforementioned diminishing returns so it was a lot more common to see det melds as the expac went on, though since this game was less understood in general back then people didnt do this as scientifically as we do now. i dont even think stat tiering was known to exist until stormblood for example, though i could be misremembering.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Lord_Magmar posted:

That's what happens when it is the only exponential stat in a world of linear increases. Crit is both critical strike chance, and critical strike damage, in one stat.

its not the only exponential stat though. speed is too because shaving 0.01 off your gcd matters more the faster your gcd is to begin with. speed is just much harder for most classes to use, especially in endwalker since the vast majority of jobs were saddled with very strict ability timelines that speed mostly fucks up. but for example thats why its always been a good stat on blm, its crazy exponential and theyve always been able to actually take advantage of that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If we're going to Meracydia soon we'll probably see a lot more traditional sun catte tribes than the two already in game seeing as that's the ancestral homeland

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

7.0 is gonna bring us female Hrothgar

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

its not the only exponential stat though. speed is too because shaving 0.01 off your gcd matters more the faster your gcd is to begin with. speed is just much harder for most classes to use, especially in endwalker since the vast majority of jobs were saddled with very strict ability timelines that speed mostly fucks up. but for example thats why its always been a good stat on blm, its crazy exponential and theyve always been able to actually take advantage of that.

Remembering SkS Samurai in StB in Godka prog, a man going 100000 M/PH and screaming "GOAD ME! TECHNICIAN! SPIRE SPIRE!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

part of this is because what stats are the best change over an expansion as you can get more of them from gear and foood. like dhit gets progressively worse as new gear comes out because since its only effect is to increase your chance to get a flat damage bonus, it has diminishing returns. crit used to be this way too but since it also increases crit damage now the opposite is true. my understanding of bard is their ideal gcd is exactly 2.49, because it prevents a minor clipping issue but that wasnt possible to achieve previously without overshooting it or losing a ton of stats elsewhere. now it is at the cost of a single meld slot (trivial) and changing food (minor but a bigger deal than the meld) because the food is now good enough to get you to 2.49

Mainly it's that even trying to avoid Skill Speed we'd get just enough of it previously on other gear (it's not great, but not harmful enough to be worth taking a lower ilevel ring to avoid for example) that this is the first time in a while that "our optimal technically isn't 0 SkS" has come up.

Bard does a lot of double-weaving, so most SkS above that is wasted because of clipping anyway.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah that's the best way to put it, the current MSQ has real filler arc energy. Its not a bad filler arc, but coming off of two of the most dramatic expansions / stories / grand finales in Final Fantasy history means that its gonna be a step down regardless of what they did.

It also doesn't help, at least in my opinion, that this whole thing is just an endless pile of FF4 references. I really didn't like it when they did this for Omega and I don't like it now. Nicest thing I will say is that the some of the ff4 remixed music has been amazing.

Anyway yeah, the patch content has been good but it hasn't wowed me at all narratively. Lots of neat lore and fun character interactions but pretty much 0 emotional gut punches, both good and bad. Mechanically at least I feel like the team is largely firing on all cylinders, even if I think they've been hedging a bit towards a little too easy lately. Which might be weird of me to say since I just stick to casual poo poo, but regardless euphro was way easier than aglaia and this last tier is largely easier than both the previous tiers, though I think the last boss is suitably tough! And I don't think any of the ew normal raids are on Eden's level. That said, even if I think the fights could stand to be a little harder, this has been my favorite normal raid series so far. All the fights are good, there aren't any clunkers. I would be happy to roulette into literally any of this which is not something I can say about any of the previous raid series. And the story was consistently good, even if it never reached the narrative highs of the previous raids. But those raids all had extremely banal stories with their first and 2nd tiers and it took the last tier to tie them together at all. So it was nice to not just be snoring through tiers 1 and 2 just to have 3 end up incredible.

Crap (normal) raid list: A1, A2, A5, A6, A9, A10, O10, E9, E11, E12

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Bruceski posted:

Mainly it's that even trying to avoid Skill Speed we'd get just enough of it previously on other gear (it's not great, but not worth taking a lower ilevel ring to avoid for example) that this is the first time in a while that "our optimal technically isn't 0 SkS" has come up.

Bard does a lot of double-weaving, so most SkS above that is wasted because of clipping anyway.

youd definitely shoot right past 2.49 even while trying to avoid it with the previous gearsets we had. for example abyssos on mch had a bis with 2.47 (and i think this was mostly the same bis for the others, swapping a few pieces around cuz mch likes dhit less) and mchs ideal gcd is exactly 2.50 because heat blast is locked at 1.5 regardless of your actual gcd, so anything faster than 2.50 caused drift. and in abyssos mch had to counteract this drift by delaying wildfire for a gcd in every burst past opener lol. i think this time its genuinely brd can get exactly the sks to hit 2.49 without shooting straight past it (since food is a smaller gain than any piece of gear).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You all keep saying "SkS" and now all I can picture is the WoL picking up one of these as a MCH:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You all keep saying "SkS" and now all I can picture is the WoL picking up one of these as a MCH:

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 26, 2023

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

sirtommygunn posted:

it's definitely a lot of setting pieces into place and a lot of fluff content. I think the fact that we're still dealing with every single loose setting element from all the way back in 2.0 means it's never going to be as interesting because we're not dealing with any new things the way we were in earlier x.4 patches.

I'd even hazard this is going to extend to a lot of 6.5 because unless they pull something weird and we get two EX in a patch again like with bozja, 6.5 will probably rush the conclusion a little given Zeromus isn't even the EX trial, we know it's Asura from fanfest promo stuff. So probably it'll be a rushed conclusion to the current things, more fluff, and a sudden wild twist at the very end to throw us into the next expansion.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I didn't know that until I read your post...

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Is the rhadz theme/flow combo new? I don't remember hearing it before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mister Olympus posted:

it's definitely a lot of setting pieces into place and a lot of fluff content. I think the fact that we're still dealing with every single loose setting element from all the way back in 2.0 means it's never going to be as interesting because we're not dealing with any new things the way we were in earlier x.4 patches.

I'd even hazard this is going to extend to a lot of 6.5 because unless they pull something weird and we get two EX in a patch again like with bozja, 6.5 will probably rush the conclusion a little given Zeromus isn't even the EX trial, we know it's Asura from fanfest promo stuff. So probably it'll be a rushed conclusion to the current things, more fluff, and a sudden wild twist at the very end to throw us into the next expansion.

Asura is going to be the event trial, which has never been a story trial. Others include Odin, Proto Ultima, and Yojimbo/Greg.