Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah sorry should have been clearer. This is my first time reading the books in more than a decade so it feels pretty fresh tho

E: I'm astounded that I still have the ability to read this much fiction this quick lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Wheel of Time is extremely readable, I can reread the books at an astonishing rate.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yes they’re pretty word dense but most of them don’t have a ton of downtime. Having so many characters lends itself to usually having something interesting going on. Compared to Sanderson who writes big books but just kinda doesn’t do anything in the middle of his.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Invalid Validation posted:

Yes they’re pretty word dense but most of them don’t have a ton of downtime. Having so many characters lends itself to usually having something interesting going on. Compared to Sanderson who writes big books but just kinda doesn’t do anything in the middle of his.

So what you just mentally blocked out the existence of Perrin?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Perrin has some fun stuff till like book 10 when he spins his wheels for 4 books. But even those later books aren’t that bad when you’re not waiting years for them. He definitely needed to become dream wolf man way earlier though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Perrin is already a weary wolf guy that freaks out Mat and Rand by the end of the first book. Forgot how quick that happens. His arc is so weirdly paced.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah honestly I don't mind his chapters throughout, but I wholeheartedly agree that his entire arc is weirdly paced.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Perrin peaked in book 4 for me, disappeared for a book, then spent a few books having marital issues, then a few books wandering around Ghealdan trying to find his wife. His chapters for most of the books just dragged on because he was always thinking about starting to plan to do something.

He was briefly interesting again when he got real good in Tel'aran'rhiod. Even that got old when it became obvious that Jordan/Sanderson were keeping Slayer alive for the Last Battle.

In the Last Battle he pulled a *teleports behind you* move on Graendal, then realized he couldn't kill her because she's a woman, and effectively gets Rhuarc killed. That was the point where it went from "great another boring Perrin chapter" to "I actively hate this guy".

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Invalid Validation posted:

Perrin has some fun stuff till like book 10 when he spins his wheels for 4 books. But even those later books aren’t that bad when you’re not waiting years for them. He definitely needed to become dream wolf man way earlier though.

I read the whole series for the first time over 9 months. The only book that really got to me was the second half of book 10 because Perrin was just walking around dealing with weevils.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, but he could have been doing torture instead

So really we got the lesser of two weevils.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

pik_d posted:

In the Last Battle he pulled a *teleports behind you* move on Graendal, then realized he couldn't kill her because she's a woman, and effectively gets Rhuarc killed. That was the point where it went from "great another boring Perrin chapter" to "I actively hate this guy".

I stopped reading the series about a quarter of the way thru Sanderson's first book. Did that really happen? If so lol and lmao

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

pik_d posted:

I read the whole series for the first time over 9 months. The only book that really got to me was the second half of book 10 because Perrin was just walking around dealing with weevils.

I genuinely like those creepy rear end towns he visited.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CainFortea posted:

Yea, but he could have been doing torture instead

So really we got the lesser of two weevils.

I appreciate the pun but he chopped a guys hand off and threatened to keep going to get info about his wife.

Hughmoris posted:

I stopped reading the series about a quarter of the way thru Sanderson's first book. Did that really happen? If so lol and lmao

I thought the last two books were really great so you're missing out, but yes it really happened.

silvergoose posted:

I genuinely like those creepy rear end towns he visited.

Mat had the superior creepy town. Perrin's creepy town was full of weevils and stinky people.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I agree that hinders tap was cooler, just saying I also liked the beetles and weevils and stuff.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

silvergoose posted:

I agree that hinders tap was cooler, just saying I also liked the beetles and weevils and stuff.

Yeah the bubbles of evil and general decay of the land is cool. I just get real mad about the gulf between what Perrin could have been and what we got.

He was my favorite in the beginning, a cool new take on a werewolf, and he has magic dream powers? I was hype for him and then just... Hardly any progress between book 2 and 13.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pik_d posted:

I appreciate the pun but he chopped a guys hand off and threatened to keep going to get info about his wife.

I thought the last two books were really great so you're missing out, but yes it really happened.

Mat had the superior creepy town. Perrin's creepy town was full of weevils and stinky people.

Yes, that was the torture I was referencing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

pik_d posted:

Yeah the bubbles of evil and general decay of the land is cool. I just get real mad about the gulf between what Perrin could have been and what we got.

He was my favorite in the beginning, a cool new take on a werewolf, and he has magic dream powers? I was hype for him and then just... Hardly any progress between book 2 and 13.

Yeah that's a totally fair take. Not mine, mostly, but fair.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

There's another set of Season 2 episode names. But Damane is misspelled so I'm wondering what that's about

https://www.tumblr.com/sapphoshands/718293789227319296/it-turns-out-if-you-know-where-to-look-on-the-wga?source=share

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

What might be… 👀

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

pik_d posted:

There's another set of Season 2 episode names. But Damane is misspelled so I'm wondering what that's about

https://www.tumblr.com/sapphoshands/718293789227319296/it-turns-out-if-you-know-where-to-look-on-the-wga?source=share

DAUGHTER OF THE NIGHT 👀

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

What might be… 👀

flicker flicker

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I think that the stuff that Perrin gets up to is reasonably interesting, he's surrounded by interesting characters, and it serves well as a more grounded counterpoint to what most of the rest of the cast is doing.

The problem is that it's incredibly difficult to get past just how much it sucks to be in Perrin's head and how poorly he acts the entire time, so the whole thing is spoiled.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

bio347 posted:

I think that the stuff that Perrin gets up to is reasonably interesting, he's surrounded by interesting characters, and it serves well as a more grounded counterpoint to what most of the rest of the cast is doing.

The problem is that it's incredibly difficult to get past just how much it sucks to be in Perrin's head and how poorly he acts the entire time, so the whole thing is spoiled.

It also just takes way too much book space for the arcs. If Faile had been captured at the end of one book and the Battle of Malden had been at the end of the next book, it would have been fine. Instead the arc lasts from the end of book 8 to the end of book 11 (or beginning of book 12 if you count Faile ganking Masema). 3 full books, and the Perrin/Faile plot had a large chunk of each of those books.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Gully Foyle posted:

It also just takes way too much book space for the arcs. If Faile had been captured at the end of one book and the Battle of Malden had been at the end of the next book, it would have been fine. Instead the arc lasts from the end of book 8 to the end of book 11 (or beginning of book 12 if you count Faile ganking Masema). 3 full books, and the Perrin/Faile plot had a large chunk of each of those books.
I don't think that the length is necessarily inherently negative. But it seems fair enough to say that it acts as a multiplier, because taking a thing that sucks and making it longer only makes it suck more.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

bio347 posted:

I don't think that the length is necessarily inherently negative. But it seems fair enough to say that it acts as a multiplier, because taking a thing that sucks and making it longer only makes it suck more.

If it had been shorter it would have worked well. I think it really showed Perrin as a character and how he change to being a Lord with people following him from his just trying to insist he's only a blacksmith. It just took way, way too long. That's kind of a side effect in that Jordan needing time for Rand and Mat's journeys to get to the point he could bring them back together though. If the show shortens it down a bunch, which they easily could, I think it'll come across a lot better.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

seaborgium posted:

If it had been shorter it would have worked well. I think it really showed Perrin as a character and how he change to being a Lord with people following him from his just trying to insist he's only a blacksmith. It just took way, way too long. That's kind of a side effect in that Jordan needing time for Rand and Mat's journeys to get to the point he could bring them back together though. If the show shortens it down a bunch, which they easily could, I think it'll come across a lot better.
Basically this.

Perrin's story arc simply was too short. This led to him stagnating for several books fighting the same inner fight again and again instead of really showing development as a character. If he would have been fine with finally accepting his role as Perrin Goldeneyes and Lord of New Manetheren a lot faster, and then had new problems and obstacles to overcome it would have been much better. However, it seems like Robert Jordan didn't really have another conflict in mind for him.

So you end up with a comparatively short story arc that has to be stretched out in order to sync up with much longer, involved story arcs of other main characters.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Gully Foyle posted:

The Faile sequence feels like it was 10 books long. And I can't even remember what happens during it

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

jetz0r posted:

The Faile sequence feels like it was 10 books long. And I can't even remember what happens during it

Perrin doesn't shove Masema through a gateway directly to Caemlyn
Perrin ignores that Gaul's crush is also taken
Morgase doesn't tell anyone who she is
Elyas doesn't help Perrin train his wolf skills
Perrin also ignores Aram's issues with his new way of life
Faile doesn't figure out that Galina is blatantly lying
The Asha'men don't just teleport Faile out of there

Sorry, still mad about Perrin

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Perrin: has accurate, real-time insight into what people are feeling at any time, is too thick to understand why people are feeling said emotions.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Democratic Pirate posted:

Perrin: has accurate, real-time insight into what people are feeling at any time, is too thick to understand why people are feeling said emotions.

Also doesn't realize he has too much info now. Everyone has impulses that they'd never act on, and seeing those impulses is in fact really harmful to his relationships.

He's sensing all the monkey-brain/lizard-brain bullshit that a normal person goes "thank you brain but no I will not be listening to that intrusive thought." And then he's treating it as a normal thought.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

pik_d posted:

Also doesn't realize he has too much info now. Everyone has impulses that they'd never act on, and seeing those impulses is in fact really harmful to his relationships.

He's sensing all the monkey-brain/lizard-brain bullshit that a normal person goes "thank you brain but no I will not be listening to that intrusive thought." And then he's treating it as a normal thought.

The Saldean idea of a healthy relationship is also pretty hosed up. If Elyas had the conversation where he explains what Faile thinks is a good relationship with Perrin earlier it might have helped, or Perrin and Faile just sitting down and one of them saying "Look, we're from different cultures and we have different ideas about relationships. We care about each other, lets work on this."

Faile and Perrin are both pretty lovely about talking to one another, but Faile really had some expectations that she just assumed a dude she knows is from a very isolated community would be able to comprehend without talking about it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hmm I don't know what to do with this character anymore, I stretched out his tracking his wife through the snow for like three books and now I'm out of ideas. Guess I'll stash him in the pocket matrix until I need him, see if he gets up to anything

Perrin, emerging: It's longer than you think!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Did everyone just reread the jaunt? I’ve been seeing it referenced a lot lately.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Turning the page and seeing a new Perrin/Faile chapter during the slog definitely made me want to claw my eyes out.

Think of how many more Forsaken POV chapters we could have had, or more of Elaida's Continuous Mistake, instead of that trash-fire of a plotline.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

Did everyone just reread the jaunt? I’ve been seeing it referenced a lot lately.

It leaves a hell of an impression.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

RandolphCarter posted:

Are we talking about the time since I read it last or the perceived time since I read it last?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also after her getting kidnapped for 3 books, at the end she just ends up getting sorta kidnapped again. Just so exhausting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jetz0r posted:

Basically nothing. That's the problem.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

so were the stasis boxes just stolen from larry niven without even a name change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I was just thinking about Eye of the World after finishing it and I think it really is a long chase scene. If I had the ability to script a TV show around it, the way I would break it episode by episode would be the gang leaving and arriving at a new locale (end an ep with Rand and Mat fleeing Shadar Logoth on a boat, start another episode with them arriving in Caemlyn, start an episode with Perrin in the Caralain grass, or end an episode with everyone arriving at Fal Dara (did the actual show do this)).

The actual show is festooned the material with all these other parts that are vaguely GoT, with the powerful people plotting and some random dude getting captured by Red Ajah, no doubt due to Amazon dictates like needing an action scene within the first 30 seconds. But it's an awkward addition.

The book is basically the flight from the Shire with a sudden shortened 3rd act of weirdness and violence. This might seem weird to mention considering my previous posts decrying the things that are missing but even a movie that emphasized that sense of chase would be more true to the essence of the book than what we got.