Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Lone Badger posted:

The probability of being killed by a toilet has just significantly increased.

That's a Mother 3 enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

tildes posted:

I have a steam question- someone managed to get into my steam account and change the password/was in the process of selling my inventory for whatever reason. My email did get hacked, so plausibly they could have gotten the password there. I’m a little confused how they would have gotten through Steam Guard tho (I have the mobile app for authentication). Is it just that when you have access to someone’s email they can use that instead of the Steam guard app for 2FA? Basically I just want to be sure this doesn’t indicated people somehow have access to my phone or smth. The account itself is recovered and I changed the password etc.

I believe as a way to recover your Steam account in case you lost your phone with the app on you can ask support to activate back 2FA via email, which your hacker probably did posing as you, what with having access to your email.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Cube World is back. Again. Somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV02AHItgV4

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

That's a Mother 3 enemy.

I should really play this. There is a fan attempt at creating an N64 version of Mother 3, that will be playable on an N64, but I don't think it will ever go anywhere. The people working on it don't seem to really have an idea of how they want to make the game and don't want to use the GBA version as a basis for inspiration.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

so uh... this is a thing

there is a playable prologue on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/1938800/Alone_in_the_Dark_Prologue/

it's by the developer of... Magicka 2???

the games industry is madlibbing now

Orv
May 4, 2011
gently caress it, why not. Even if AitD has significant mental cachet for me it’s mostly bad cachet so go wild.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Thanks for the advice folks!

As it turns out upon review of my library, I already have a couple of these from over the years (Mechanicus, Battlefleet Gothic I, Space Marine are the notable 40k ones). So I guess for variety I'd be looking between BattleSector, the DoWs, the Total Warhammers, and maybe one of the Tide games.

Realistically, since I had those other ones buried away and never completed them, I'm not going to buy as much as I thought I would, but since Liberte was a bust, I will probably grab at least one or two.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The 7th Guest posted:

so uh... this is a thing

It already gets points for, AFAIK, being the first loving game since the very original to have Emily Hartwood as a protagonist.

Edward Carnby was invented as a backup protagonist in case people couldn't get over the shock and horror of playing as a woman in nineteen ninety whatever. He has no direct connection to the events of the first game and is actually just some rear end in a top hat who broke in to rob the mansion, but oops all ghosts and Cthulhu. Nonetheless, this led to the entirety of the rest of the franchise to star Edward Carnby, gormless white guy. Canonically, James Mcaffrey's infamous "I don't have your stone and gently caress you anyway" over the top Carnby from that reboot is actually literally the same dude from the old trilogy, who's immortal for some loving reason.

It's loving daft and it drives me insane.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Orv posted:

Cube World is back. Again. Somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV02AHItgV4

cant wait for him to sell this as a new game for the same price, release it with half the stats non-functional, and then disappear for another 3-6 years until he runs out of money and needs to grift again

Orv
May 4, 2011
Alternatively, even more funnily, those of us dumb enough to have bought the original spend the next forty years getting a new Cube World Steam entry every few years.

All terrible, of course.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The 7th Guest posted:

- Jagged Alliance 3, developed by Haemimont (Surviving Mars, Victor Vran, Tropico series), releases July 14th

Holy poo poo really? I've not played those other games, but please tell me they where well done, I'd really love to live in a world where we get a good JA3.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tropico and Surviving Mars are competent and fine but a little shallow mechanically.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Serephina posted:

Holy poo poo really? I've not played those other games, but please tell me they where well done, I'd really love to live in a world where we get a good JA3.

They’re all fine. The journo previews of JA3 a while back didn’t paint a good picture. Not displaying shot percentages, weird control and UX fiddliness.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh. Well, expectations tempered then.

-----

Also this thread moves drat fast, from the past few pages:
Dumb Video game trends: Remember when everyone scrambled to release their own XCOM clone? Gears of War, Mario, etc.
WH40K sale: Mechanicus is worth the five bucks, but just don't expect to finish the campain before you accidentally break the balance and get bored with your OP dudes. Enjoy the amazing music, pour a glass of wine and drink in that moody setting.
DoW: The first has aged a bit, and the second has zero replay value as you go through the exact same missions with a different race. Both are merely "ok" nowadays.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
re: Mario vs Rabbids whoever decided that premise should have that gameplay is a mad genius.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don’t really think “extraction game” is some big craze. Tarkov is popular with the kind of people who play ArmA, and DMZ is an also-ran game mode in CoD. Maybe Marathon will blow it up, I don’t know, but it kinda feels like studios are just fishing for something new rather than responding to demand.

what i loved about Marathon as a old school fan was the neat writing of two AI having a poo poo fit and using humans as pawns fighting in a intergalatic war that sometimes included aliens if those poor sods got in the middle of it.

This on the other hand is a loving pvp only extraction shooter

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

gently caress

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

I hope this happens to me.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011
Do people have any thoughts on The Ascent? It's on sale but has Mostly Positive/Mixed reviews. I'm looking for new game to play on my Steam Deck and this is Verified and looks nice.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shivers posted:

Do people have any thoughts on The Ascent? It's on sale but has Mostly Positive/Mixed reviews. I'm looking for new game to play on my Steam Deck and this is Verified and looks nice.
* Very pretty
* Gameplay isn't deep, but is adequately fun
* Storyline isn't exciting, but isn't obtrusively stupid either

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Shivers posted:

I loved this game but hit a brickwall of challenge that felt poorly paced. Spider Mech boss

I would say overall it's Very Good to Extremely Good, like way beyond what its price suggests. There are a lot of thoughtful and methodical systems in place.

For older gamers (40+ crowd) I feel like it's overall a very solid modern take (and really better in every way) of Crusader: No Remorse.

I got stuck, and need to get back to it, but ... I truly loved it until that point. I just suddenly felt really underpowered at a particular choke-point. And I'm ADD as gently caress so I just didn't try to stubbornly stick through it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Diephoon posted:

Ork vehicle combat game is what I'm interested in. There's a playtest you can sign up for, got in after a couple hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGojclTI8vQ

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2078450/Warhammer_40000_Speed_Freeks/

Surprised this isn't a bigger genre tbh

Twisted Metal with orks is a pretty cool idea.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The only thing I can say about The Ascent is that it has an impressively detailed world (there's a youtube video where someone has a modded camera angle that lets them fly freely around the map, and it would be an impressive first person game, they didn't skimp on assets and none of them seem designed to only look good from the game's pre-set angle) and it really wants to showcase it, so there are regular very long segments where all you do is run from Point A to Point B while looking at the scenery. At least with the early missions before I refunded it, there was literally several minutes of backtracking through the hub zone between every mission. It seemed okay outside of that but my ADHD can't handle lots of backtracking through the same environment.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Diephoon posted:

Ork vehicle combat game is what I'm interested in. There's a playtest you can sign up for, got in after a couple hours.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Twisted Metal with orks is a pretty cool idea.

Oh no, this is the thing I didn't know I needed, and now I need it very much. For the love of all that is sacred, Mork's teef and all, let it be good :pray:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

deep dish peat moss posted:

The only thing I can say about The Ascent is that it has an impressively detailed world (there's a youtube video where someone has a modded camera angle that lets them fly freely around the map, and it would be an impressive first person game, they didn't skimp on assets and none of them seem designed to only look good from the game's pre-set angle) and it really wants to showcase it, so there are regular very long segments where all you do is run from Point A to Point B while looking at the scenery. At least with the early missions before I refunded it, there was literally several minutes of backtracking through the hub zone between every mission. It seemed okay outside of that but my ADHD can't handle lots of backtracking through the same environment.
I mean clearly our ADD expresses itself in different ways. I would say, as beautiful and detailed as the Ascent can be (also again, waaaaaaay beyond it's price) I mostly ended up finding the settings sorta bland and forgettable ... no knock on the game, just my weird brain. And they're REALLY GOOD, just kinda wasted on me in particular...

...and all that said holy hell some of its set pieces are mind-blowingly incredible. In some ways it feels like a B-tier game that is very fun, reviews well, niche audience, but the peaks are arguably beyond AAA poo poo.

edit: to be clear, I feel it has a niche audience but it is extremely good at what it's doing. And yeah, can't recommend it enough if you were ever into the old DOS Origin Crusader games. It's that aesthetic, but so much better realised, with really tight modern twin-stick gameplay/controls.

edit2: I also used Xbox Gamepass to play it

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 26, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Diephoon posted:

Played the test and it a bunch of simple, early fun. Got a long way to go towards becoming a real game tho.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Serephina posted:

Oh. Well, expectations tempered then.

-----

Also this thread moves drat fast, from the past few pages:
Dumb Video game trends: Remember when everyone scrambled to release their own XCOM clone? Gears of War, Mario, etc.
WH40K sale: Mechanicus is worth the five bucks, but just don't expect to finish the campain before you accidentally break the balance and get bored with your OP dudes. Enjoy the amazing music, pour a glass of wine and drink in that moody setting.
DoW: The first has aged a bit, and the second has zero replay value as you go through the exact same missions with a different race. Both are merely "ok" nowadays.

Agreed on all that but I do want to note this only applies to DoW II Retribution, DoW II vanilla + Chaos Rising is an entirely different campaign where you play a lite RPG - squad tactics RTS mix. No base building tho

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

teethgrinder posted:

For older gamers (40+ crowd) I feel like it's overall a very solid modern take (and really better in every way) of Crusader: No Remorse.

gently caress u

A) I'm not even 40 yet!

B) It doesn't have The Wizard or The Weasel so it's crap

now I want to play crusader

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Boy there's...not much to that Alone in the Dark "demo". What's there seems kind of intriguing though, having never played any of the old games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cultic is real good, as long as you don't mind pixels & brown

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The original Alone in the Dark games were hugely influential on the survival horror genre, but they have been thoroughly surpassed, and there's absolutely no reason to revisit them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Shivers posted:

I played it coop and loved it, and that was around launch with lots of little glitches

Like a B or A tier game that punches outside its weight class visually (like way outside)

not a revelation in gameplay or story, but dripping with atmosphere, and satisfying gun shoots

depending on what parts matter to you, easy pick or skip - I'm not sure you can get to the more fun gear and encounters inside the refund window but you could at least see if it feels good to you out of the gate

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The Ascent is very very pretty, and good enough that I don't regret my time with it, though I'm not likely to replay it. And I did get through the game, except not the DLC campaign because that started crashing on me regularly.

It has some difficulty spikes, and weapons can end up feeling largely static once you find something that works because it doesn't have Diablo-style randomized loot. You're still going to move up to better weapons as it goes along, but if someone drops the Model X Shotgun, it'll always be the Model X Shotgun. You also get to spend upgrade components to permanently improve the stats of a type of weapon, so even if you sell a gun it'll still have the upgraded stats if you find or buy another one (every Model X Shotgun is now a +1 weapon in your hands). And you get a ton of upgrade components to spend pretty freely. Powers are also swappable gear. Once you find a gear and power setup that works for you, you'll probably hang on to it for a long time.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Those 3 in the Sony showcase looked good and they have a bunch of other unannounced stuff.

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1661917087109902339

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

only having four games in a devolver direct tracks, because that was the case last year i think. they care less and less about showing games and just like to incorporate more and more zany random skits with each new year

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

only having four games in a devolver direct tracks, because that was the case last year i think. they care less and less about showing games and just like to incorporate more and more zany random skits with each new year
To be fair, the games they do reveal are typically pretty friggin' cool, like The Plucky Squire and Skate Story.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What's good in the Curve Digital sale besides Human Fall Flat and Velocity Ultra?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

What's good in the Curve Digital sale besides Human Fall Flat and Velocity Ultra?
I dug Iron Fisticle, it's basically a Smash TV clone. It has an expanded sequel called Iron Crypticle, but it's not discounted sooo...

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

John Murdoch posted:

It already gets points for, AFAIK, being the first loving game since the very original to have Emily Hartwood as a protagonist.

New Nightmare let you choose to play her. Her run was more puzzle oriented than Edwards, who really is a gormless gently caress.

David Harbour and Jodie Comer are lightning hot career wise too so this must've cost them a mint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

It's Aline Cedrac in New Nightmare, unless there's some lore thing that explains that she's actually Emily Hartwood.