Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Martman posted:

Wtf there's a new Gremlins cartoon. Did I miss discussion of this or was it stealth dropped?

Neither - it was one of the marquee new show for Max, and nobody here is talking about Max in that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Sell me on Justified. I don’t know a whole lot about the show. I’ve watched the first episode (which I liked well enough) so I know the basics. I’m trying to decide if I want to keep Hulu around for however long it’ll take me to get through all 70+ episodes of it or if I should rotate to another streaming service.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
If you make it to season 5 you can see Michael Rappaport do one of the worst southern accents in TV history

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

david_a posted:

Sell me on Justified. I don’t know a whole lot about the show. I’ve watched the first episode (which I liked well enough) so I know the basics. I’m trying to decide if I want to keep Hulu around for however long it’ll take me to get through all 70+ episodes of it or if I should rotate to another streaming service.

It's like reverse hillbilly Sopranos, with a not-cop you kinda sorta want to succeed at at least not dying while he does his job of surveying the awful wreckage of a holler. And it's not smarmy and dumb like Ozark got.

e: also starts with some Elmore Leonard stuff if you like his style but then goes on a tangent

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Deadite posted:

If you make it to season 5 you can see Michael Rappaport do one of the worst southern accents in TV history

I went to middle & high school in KY (granted, close to Louisville and not Lexington) and the accents already bother me

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

david_a posted:

I went to middle & high school in KY (granted, close to Louisville and not Lexington) and the accents already bother me

I don’t remember what episode or season, but you get to see a couple of Ale 8 bottles. Not sure if that was around where you grew up, but here in eastern Kentucky we were raised on it. Doesn’t make up for the accents though.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

david_a posted:

It's a solid B+ show about a US Marshall who really loves shooting people but he's so cool and clever that his boss and coworkers just treat him like the office rascal.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

david_a posted:

I grew up in TN, but my mom moved all over the South. I don't think she speaks a word of any foreign language but she can usually tell you what county in which state an accent is from. Her weird superpower.

Justified was one of those shows where she'd call me, living on the other side of the country, to complain about the bad/mixed accents.

It is a fun show though!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Justified is a fun show that really finds its legs in Season Two. The second through to the fourth seasons are straight up excellent, funny noir television with tight and surprising plotting, plenty of really good standalone mysteries plus ongoing poo poo. And the first season has plenty of good episodes too.

The fifth and sixth seasons are huge duds when it comes to the ongoing mystery, both way overplotted and far too in love with characters whose use-by dates were long past. I really fell out of love with the show around then, and never finished the series.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Any show that doesn't find its legs until the second season ain't worth your time yall, rapture won't be long.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Walton Goggins is on Justified, so you should watch it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Any show that doesn't find its legs until the second season ain't worth your time yall, rapture won't be long.

Season 1 is good. Seasons 2-4 are great. Seasons 5-6 are middling to good (theres some good characters that show up, some good moments, the ending is good imo)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Walter Goggins is also in The Crow: Salvation, and I recommend yall find salvation before you watch x seasons of justified and find out its "pretty okay"

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I randomly decided to watch Justified when I saw a new season is coming in July. I'm in S2 and it's great

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Why are there two shows about Candy Montgomery?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Walter Goggins is also in The Crow: Salvation, and I recommend yall find salvation before you watch x seasons of justified and find out its "pretty okay"

I think I'm using that phrase differently to how you use that phrase. But if you read back what I said, I think it's pretty clear that I watched while I was enjoying it, really enjoyed some of it and stopped when I wasn't enjoying it anymore. Is that so unreasonable?

Disposable Scud posted:

True crime is a cash cow, and sometimes things just randomly line up like that because two independent groups both have metrics to think they'll sell.

I liked the Hulu version a lot, but I like most of what Nick Antosca does and that's why I checked it out.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Don’t forget to check out Santa Clarita Diet after Justified, that show is insane in the best way.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

someone give me recommendations for 90s style courtroom thriller dramas that I might not have seen. no true crime unless it has really dramatic legal tension

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

A MIRACLE posted:

someone give me recommendations for 90s style courtroom thriller dramas that I might not have seen. no true crime unless it has really dramatic legal tension

It's 2004 but The Jury?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398498/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_6_tt_8_nm_0_q_the%2520jur

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Time to Kill is a seminal one

E: A Civil Action is an underrated classic

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

A MIRACLE posted:

Primal Fear is fantastic. Put Ed Norton on the map.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Deadite posted:

Not possible, Kevin Spacey in house of cards still exists. Dude sounds like a 1920s plantation owner.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah Kevin Spacey literally said "I'm gonna be Foghorn Leghorn"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I recently finished The Dropout, Hulu's show about Elizabeth Holmes. I enjoyed it overall and found most of it really compelling but the end is kind of anticlimactic, almost by necessity- after all the hype and lawyering and posturing she gets taken down not even by the article but by someone writing to an obscure government agency. The main reason to watch is Amanda Seyfried and she is wonderful, but the entire cast is pretty good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Disposable Scud posted:

I didn’t know there was another one. The only reason I’m checking out the HBO one is because it’s based on a true crime book written years ago by Joe Bob Briggs.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Disposable Scud posted:

Yeah I was so confused when I saw the HBO trailer. It doesn't even look markedly different from the Hulu one.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Starship Troopers is on Netflix for those that don't already own the blu-ray. A masterpiece in big budget satire. Unique in that no studio ever approved a movie like it since....and probably never will.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Starship Troopers is on Netflix for those that don't already own the blu-ray. A masterpiece in big budget satire. Unique in that no studio ever approved a movie like it since....and probably never will.

I genuinely don't think the studio knew it was satire. I was amazed at how many people didn't get it when it came out.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
All 24 seasons of How It’s Made are on Max now, so that’s my background noise sorted for the foreseeable future

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Deadite posted:

All 24 seasons of How It’s Made are on Max now, so that’s my background noise sorted for the foreseeable future

Man I love that show. I'm weirdly fascinated by all of those weird rear end one purpose assembly line tools there are.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

1glitch0 posted:

I genuinely don't think the studio knew it was satire. I was amazed at how many people didn't get it when it came out.

I was only eight at the time.....so I can't speak to it. But considering how many idiots I encounter today.......I can only imagine that this movie was over most people's heads back then. I mean.....we didn't have a successful non-laugh track sitcom at that time.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'em all

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

1glitch0 posted:

I cut a trailer for Starship Troopers through the lens of my 11-year old self when I saw it, i.e., where any satire was completely lost on me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-q8J4FFs4Y

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was like 14 or 15 when it came out and it landed in a really weird spot for me. I was surprised by how corny it was, but also don't think I recognized it as satire either. I mostly just thought it was stupid but the gore and effects were cool.

Really weird movie. You have the huge mainstream appeal with the epic giant bug action movie, some of the hottest stars at the time, tons of kid appeal, but also it's an extremely hard R filled with gore and nudity. Then there's whole satire/humor aspect. I do not think that movie would get made at all now, but I am actually surprised it was even made in 97. That was well into the "PG-13 sells best" era. It's like an 80s movie made in 1997.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I remember the trailer used Blur’s Song 2

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think I sorta got that it was being not entirely serious, and I’d read the book that summer and got that the movie was taking the piss out of the book’s more… unpleasant elements, but I don’t think I appreciated just how satirical it was.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I'm rewatching the recent 4K master of Starship Troopers and it is absolutely phenomenal. Every bit of it (except for a few scenes where the future tech is clearly 90s-inspired -- though, given vaporwave etc, maybe that's not entirely wrong) holds up. The practical effects and modelwork are great, the CGI is well lit enough to not be obviously late 90s CGI, and the way some of the scenes with the no-name actors are filmed just feels like they're intentionally being mediocre.

The biggest thing that sticks out as a "wait, this was filmed in the 90s" is Neil Patrick Harris being, like, 20 years old.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

...and the way some of the scenes with the no-name actors are filmed just feels like they're intentionally being mediocre.
More of a happy accident.
https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a823951/starship-troopers-paul-verhoeven-donald-trump-20-years-anniversary/

quote:

Some Troopers defenders even claim that Verhoeven deliberately chose bad actors to push his satire even further.
"No, not really," denies Verhoeven. "I took them because I wanted them to look like the people you see in Leni Riefenstahl's movie The Triumph of the Will. So it was a ploy, but more based on a visual aspect."..."I probably was looking too much to the streamlined bodies and sculpted faces," he admits, "and perhaps paid not enough attention to all the acting stuff... I mean, I don't know, in retrospect you could also say that was the right way to do it, because it should be these kinds of people."

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oh, it doesn't surprise me at all that Verhoeven managed to, erm, Verhoeven himself into the perfect cast for Starship Troopers. As far as actual good acting goes, the film is 100% carried by Michael Ironside, Clancy Brown, NPH, Seth Gillam, and (to some extent) Jake Busey.

The overall feel and post-production of it makes it a classic in my eyes.

e: I love Rico's dad's assumption that his 35%-on-the-12th-grade-math-final son is going to go to Harvard just off of bribery alone. Even in the SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP world of Starship Troopers, I'd expect Harvard of all places to have some standards

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Deadite posted:

this makes me so happy :blessed: