Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

so many candidates is an understatement. its insane how many candidates there are right now. it is decidedly not a job seekers market right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

what's a good not computer career

country musician

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

to add to the interviewing woes i keep on getting contacted by recruiters, but after i refuse to give them a number i never hear from them again

it used to be easier to treat them like the dogs they are. sad!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

post hole digger posted:

country musician

unironically this

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

AnimeIsTrash posted:

to add to the interviewing woes i keep on getting contacted by recruiters, but after i refuse to give them a number i never hear from them again

what makes you so sure it's that? the "never say a number first" strategy comes with a caveat which is "don't be weird about it." if you have to, just say the average FAANG base salary for your level and location as measured by levels.fyi, and "negotiable rsus or bonuses." if you're desperate, add "but i am very excited about this opportunity because of <one good thing about the company> so i could be flexible." that's basically the most non-commital statement and is as good as not saying a number

Pie Colony fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 26, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pie Colony posted:

what makes you so sure it's that? the "never say a number first" strategy comes with a caveat which is "don't be weird about it." if you have to, just say the average FAANG base salary for your level and location as measured by levels.fyi, and "negotiable rsus or bonuses." if you're desperate, add "but i am very excited about this opportunity because of <one good thing about the company> so i could be flexible." that's basically the most non-commital statement and as is good as not saying a number

well yeah it could be a bunch of things, but usually they email me about a salary, i say "i'd like to hear a little more about the position before giving you a number", and then i never hear back lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

nudgenudgetilt posted:

so many candidates is an understatement. its insane how many candidates there are right now. it is decidedly not a job seekers market right now

yeah we were getting several submissions a day before we finally closed the position. a year ago we’d be lucky if we got one a week

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Pie Colony posted:

what makes you so sure it's that? the "never say a number first" strategy comes with a caveat which is "don't be weird about it." if you have to, just say the average FAANG base salary for your level and location as measured by levels.fyi, and "negotiable rsus or bonuses." if you're desperate, add "but i am very excited about this opportunity because of <one good thing about the company> so i could be flexible." that's basically the most non-commital statement and is as good as not saying a number

also keep in mind BATNA: best alternative to a negotiated settlement. the never say a number advice was from the heady times where recruiters were crawling over each other just for the chance that your eyes would grace their message. that’s not the world we live in now

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
like an internal recruiter or an external recruiter? it would be very weird for an internal recruiter to do that, because they should already have a description of the role, be willing to talk about that after further rounds, and also be calling you instead of emailing you. for an external recruiter, yeah they aren't gonna have the specific jobs in mind, so say 20-50k above your actual desired salary but say you'd be flexible for the right job. or better yet, don't use external recruiters

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i have no idea, just telling you what my experience has been

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

BATNA: best alternative to a negotiated settlement.

:thunk:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

One thing I've been experimenting with is saying that I'm more concerned about finding the right fit and I will think about salary later in the process. Then they usually say something like I want to make sure we're aligned so not wasting each other's time. I respond with I'm comfortable moving forward with the ambiguity because I really am interested in $this about the company but if that's a concern for you you can let me know the range for the role.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i have no idea, just telling you what my experience has been

You have no idea when you’re talking to internal or external recruiters?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i am a moron posted:

You have no idea when you’re talking to internal or external recruiters?

I'm an idiot, and misread. It's external interviewers, i'm applying to jobs outside my company.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

sorry, agreement

im sick today, ok??

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm an idiot, and misread. It's external interviewers, i'm applying to jobs outside my company.

What they mean is ‘recruiters who work directly for the company they’re recruiting for’ or ‘recruiters recruiting for another company than the one they work for’

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Some companies have their own recruiters (internal). Some companies hire other firms to help with the recruiting (external).

Most companies end up using both.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i am a moron posted:

What they mean is ‘recruiters who work directly for the company they’re recruiting for’ or ‘recruiters recruiting for another company than the one they work for’

Clockwerk posted:

Some companies have their own recruiters (internal). Some companies hire other firms to help with the recruiting (external).

Most companies end up using both.

Ah that makes more sense. They're all internal recruiters I think? At least their titles all indicate that they're part of talent acquisition at their company.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
ime if they were external you'd know it. they almost always say something like "x company on behalf of y company"

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

sorry this keeps on happening to you homie

thanks. i'm just loving stumped on what to do cause now i truly hate my job and this is no longer fun looking while comfy. it's looking to gtfo for my mental health.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Beeftweeter posted:

ime if they were external you'd know it. they almost always say something like "x company on behalf of y company"

I didn’t quite wrap my head around the terminology, my bad folks. lol

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

PIZZA.BAT posted:

we were this || close to extending offers to two people and the higher ups slammed the door shut. we’re in a hiring freeze too for the foreseeable future. sorry to everyone who hasn’t been able to find a chair now that the music has stopped. i give it 50/50 odds ill still have mine a year from now

I just got through a process and had the hiring freeze thing sprung on me. That was after I got 'you are too senior for this role - we are going to find budget but it will be quite a while' from my other best prospect.

Neither hired anyone else...so not a loss...but also not currently employed.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

My company instituted a hiring freeze over one bad quarter (that arguably wasn’t bad, just suffered from inflated expectations over a historic year last year). If you’re selling your labor right now it is a buyers market unfortunately and I think company’s are going to keep pulling this bullshit and deflate it all further before it rebounds.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Denmark is still insane, in that we've had the same low unemployment since the beginning of the pandemic until now, hovering at around 2% at the most. Boomers are exiting the job market pretty rapidly and there are so many positions going unfilled.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

The US is a bit different, the free money spigots got shut off and it’s impacted a lot of tech and tech-adjacent companies. Plus normal anti-worker capitalist nonsense is occurring. Unemployment is still low but the amount of power you had as a seller of labor during the pandemic is over.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
taken from the web design thread:

teen phone cutie posted:

my company just told us they had to close one of our programming job recs after a week because there was 1400 applicants

so my words of advice now are you're going to have to accept the fact that you're going to have to put out 300+ applications to get a job. I think I did something like 250 to get my first dev job.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

CarForumPoster posted:

taken from the web design thread:

lol i decided to learn programming and try switch into front-end development instead of industrial/UI/UX design and maybe that is a bad decision, but i guess it's no less bad than staying in industrial design :shrug:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
interviews are going well, had someone ask if we cared if they punch our softball technical question into chatgpt

:negative:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
man i havent done interviews since chatgpt was a thing, it was already bad before doing it over videocalls & having people get coached from offscreen, gonna be real bad now.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

as annoying as the hiring freeze is, it means nobody asks me to do interviews any more, which owns

i actually really enjoy interviewing and building a team, but being part of a faceless pipeline to hire for some other part of the org i'll never interact with suuuuucks

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mr. Crow posted:

interviews are going well, had someone ask if we cared if they punch our softball technical question into chatgpt

:negative:

what did you say lol

(i have no idea what i would say)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

raminasi posted:

what did you say lol

(i have no idea what i would say)
id say "this interview is over, thank you for your time"

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
I had someone earlier this year excuse doing poorly on a live coding test by telling me "I usually just use stackoverflow, or lately chatgpt, for this sort of thing"

cannot imagine why you would say this

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

I had someone earlier this year excuse doing poorly on a live coding test by telling me "I usually just use stackoverflow, or lately chatgpt, for this sort of thing"

cannot imagine why you would say this

isn't this sort of thing becoming more and more a formality anyway?

by that i mean companies are telling people to read cracking the coding interview and practicing on leetcode so that they refresh the skills that they pretty much only use for the live coding interview, because the real job absolutely involves searching documentation and other sources of information for a good solution - which necessarily does not even involve coding at all - instead of whipping up some ad hoc solution at the spot

i get that you want the prospective employee to demonstrate that they can code on the spot, but sorry i feel kind of put off if you tell me that i need to study for it like it is an exam. not to mention that the people who have time to grind leetcode and read books for job interviews probably tend to be younger and have no family commitments, so isn't that kind of discriminating again?

i mean ill come to your interview and we will code together and i will explain stuff that is going on, but i aint grinding leetcode or reading that book

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Achmed Jones posted:

being part of a faceless pipeline to hire for some other part of the org i'll never interact with suuuuucks

we have a shitload of guidelines and approved questions to ask and poo poo and i never pay attention to any of them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

4lokos basilisk posted:

by that i mean companies are telling people to read cracking the coding interview and practicing on leetcode so that they refresh the skills that they pretty much only use for the live coding interview, because the real job absolutely involves searching documentation and other sources of information for a good solution - which necessarily does not even involve coding at all - instead of whipping up some ad hoc solution at the spot

i get that you want the prospective employee to demonstrate that they can code on the spot, but sorry i feel kind of put off if you tell me that i need to study for it like it is an exam. not to mention that the people who have time to grind leetcode and read books for job interviews probably tend to be younger and have no family commitments, so isn't that kind of discriminating again?

i mean ill come to your interview and we will code together and i will explain stuff that is going on, but i aint grinding leetcode or reading that book

its a sign that everyone has a distinct tendency to show up in bad faith. employer, employee...

play - just lie about being able to do things. counterplay - credentials. counter counter play - lie about credentials. counter counter counter play - test a la minute. counter-counter-counter-counter-play - learn from focused books of this poo poo. counter-5x-play - make the content of the tests harder but become ok with the explicit learning this from explicit books instead of clrs or some poo poo. counter-6x-play - chatgpt or video conferences in bad faith. counter-7x-play to be determined...

(play - lie about pay and benefits and work you to death. counter-play - glassdoor and poo poo like that. counter-counter-play - suborn glassdoor and pay 2 play the listings for 'good' jobs. counter-counter-counter-play - get together in more closed industry hangouts and more informal talking. maybe some whispers of unionization. counter-counter-counter-counter-play - try to suborn those too. we'll see yellow unions in a bit, i think)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 29, 2023

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

4lokos basilisk posted:

Coding interviews aren't perfect, but you need to be able to filter people who know how to build software from people who don't and you need to determine how much of the candidate's and your time is going into this - better if it's equal imo.

None of the interviews I've ever given have been algo puzzles and neither have the majority of the live coding interviews I've done interviewing at other places. The good ones tend to be about structure and understanding, if you need to look up how to define a couple of classes and write some tests, sorry but I don't trust you're going to be effective. I'm not talking about inverting a binary tree here I'm talking about understanding when to use an array of tuples vs a hashmap or at least being able to talk about your thought process when considering the options.

As a candidate, I have much preferred 1h-2h of live coding to a takehome that takes "an evening". Most of the takehomes I've done have required 4-8hrs and you don't get to discuss your choices and get immediate feedback during the process to arrive at a solution closer to what's expected. It's way more work with more delayed feedback and sometimes even zero feedback after spending a consderable amount of effort. Yet these places without fail tell me how they do this to provide something "more pratical" and less annoying.

I've never read ctci and I enjoy live coding interviews, but I'm not in Silicon Valley.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

4lokos basilisk posted:

I mean, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

maybe the places that have told me to read ctci and grind leetcode are just so desirable as employers that they can ask this sort of thing from their candidates and then still have their pick after

someone smarter than me did say in this thread that yeah this is just the song and dance that you have to do when getting a faang job, and its a one time investment for a ticket to figgieland. this probably rings true a lot, however i am also not in silicon valley so i very much doubt doing this song and dance will get me to a figgieland