Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Tarkus posted:

The only reason it's weird is because people have a weird notion that milk is a drink for a child. Hate to break it to people, it's not. It is a normal beverage these days and I've seen people from 3 years old to 80 years old order it and it's fine.

Well, I mean technically....

Although if we're splitting those hairs it's not like we're cows either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've never seen anyone order milk in a bar outside of a movie, where they're establishing the patron is a repressed weirdo. If you order milk at a bar, you may be considered a repressed weirdo. If someone ordered milk at a proper pub, or at a dive I'd assume they're angling for attention, or some type of new religious weirdo.

It'd be more understandable at a restaurant/bar, where there's a big food menu. It'd still be unusual.

Also, bars don't carry stacks of milk. It's used for a few drinks, but a whole glass depletes their supply pretty quickly.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for indirectly putting my siblings on the spot on Facebook?

quote:

I (25F) have two older half siblings (50F and 48M) we have the same dad (73M). I don't have a good relationship with my siblings mainly because of the age difference and being the "other" sibling. I don't really try to build a relationship with them as they never tried with me. I only talk to them when it's involving our dad.

So about three years ago my dad had to move back to his home country because it's cheaper to live there. But my dad has to see his pulmonologist for his severe asthma every 4 months or so. The first two years I was the one able to pay for my dad's travel expenses without the help of my siblings. I was also the one who would always take him to his doctor's appointments, make sure he has all the medication he needs, etc. But then in Nov 2022 I had to get back surgery so I was out of work for a couple of months. During these couple of months my dad's health was declining. Every time I would call him I can hear him wheezing just by talking.

In April, I got desperate. I texted my brother "Hey would you be able to go thirds (about $200 each) with sister so dad can see his doctor. His oxygen levels are getting really low and he needs his doctor." He then said that he wasn't able to because he bought some new cameras and had trips planned to go to Mexico. So then I texted my sister and she just said "Ill talk to my brother. Bye."

Two weeks or so go by and I never get an update from my siblings. But my dad's doctor called me and told me that if he doesn't see my dad soon he won't have him as a patient anymore. Which made me get more anxiety and stress thinking my dad is suffering and going to die. Thankfully my mom said she would put in the money for the plane trip. The next week my dad came to the states and was finally able to see his doctor.

So here is where I might be an rear end in a top hat, I know my siblings care so much about their image online. They will always post photos with my dad to seem like they're a perfect family, especially if I'm not there. So I knew if I made a post it would piss them off. I posted a photo of my mom, dad, and me in the car coming from the airport. I had the caption saying something like "For the past MONTHS I been trying to have my dad come see his doctor. It's been hard since of my surgery but thanks to MY MOM my dad was able to come. Family are suppose to help each other in need whenever we can and I'm so grateful my mom was able to help my dad. Thank you so much." Not once did I mention my siblings on how they didn't help me or anything. But literally 5 mins of making that post my sister goes ape poo poo. She started saying how why am I making them look bad, that I'm always making myself seem like the super hero and them villains, and blah blah blah.

So am I the rear end in a top hat?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Tarkus posted:

Is ordering a glass of milk unusual? Yes! Is it a big glaring red flag that you're some kind of murderer or pixie girl? Hell no! This has got to be one of the dumbest impasses I've seen in some time.

Lol don't hurt your back moving those goal posts chief

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I'm over here imagining someone here walking in to a pub in the north of the UK and ordering a glass of milk lmao they'd be telling the story of the weirdo who asked for milk for fuckin years

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

FoolyCharged posted:

Well, I mean technically....

Although if we're splitting those hairs it's not like we're cows either.

Well, by that logic, I can't even find a baseline for what kind of diet we should eat. Only fruit we find from foraging and the odd rodent? We eat all kinds of foods that aren't really 'meant' for us. We even eat the cows.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tarkus posted:

Objectively weird? interesting. Out of the millions of things that you could do at a bar that are 'objectively weird', ordering a nice glass of milk ranks pretty low for me on that weird scale.

Tarkus posted:

Is ordering a glass of milk unusual? Yes!

Glad we could clear that up for you chief, not really sure what you're actually trying to argue now.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

lmao what kind of bars do you have over there where ordering a tall glass of semi-skimmed is a normal activity, amazing

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Can you assholes stop talking about the loving milk now?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think the argument is about societal norms. Is drinking milk in a bar not a societal norm? no, it's not. Is there any good reason for milk to not be ordered in a bar? I can't think of any.

I have a tendency to dislike 'just because' societal norms. If the bar has milk on hand, somebody is paying and they're willing to serve it then they should be able to order a glass of milk and it shouldn't be weird. There's no harm in it and the reasons for them to not drink something else shouldn't matter. I think that's why I have a bone to pick with this topic.

I'll end my role in the derail.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I've see people order milk in bars. The trick is to follow up by asking for it to be served in a dirty glass to establish that you're just as tough as anyone else in the saloon.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Okay but what if they asked for warm milk? Does the temperature involved in the order change the calculus here?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Every bar or restaurant I've ever worked at 99.99% of our milk supply got poured into 8 oz plastic cups with a lid and a bendy straw and a drawing of a cowboy or an astronaut on the side.

One time I was sitting at the counter of a greasy spoon and a grown man ordered a chocolate milk with his breakfast and the guy behind the counter said "ok pendejo".

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I don't know what you think "weird" means if "acting in a way that's different from expected norms" doesn't count. Like, what other definition is there?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
this whole milk derail reminds me of the worst date I have ever had. We both sat down and he seems nice enough. the unthinkable happened. loving milk?! Are you kidding me? Who would order milk....on a first date? Was he trying to throw me off my guard? Was I on a hidden camera right now? No. I instantly realized there was something wrong with this person. Not only that, but they could be potentially dangerous. Maybe even deranged. Sure, it could be an affectation or pretending to be that guy from the professional? But it could be so much worse. you guys know what I'm talking about.

So I did the only thing I could. I told him he was a nice guy but that I didn't see us going anywhere, there's no chemistry and I also read out a laundry list of what I didn't like about his personality, an itemized list of his faults, and the character problems that I think contribute to those faults, and capped it all off by saying I thought that he should be locked up in a mental asylum. And that I had to leave. Now.

As you can expect, he was not too pleased But I'll tell you this much. I'm not locked up in some sadist's milk dungeon right now.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

John Murdoch posted:

I love that throughout this derail nobody thought that you could just ask the other person why they ordered milk. You know, engage in conversation, with your date. Who you're presumably trying to get to know?

Much better to silently judge them for their disgusting, childish behavior and invent your own insane reasons for why they did it.

100% this.

*date orders milk*

Normal person :Hmm that is slightly out of the ordinary. "Hey, why did you order milk? Instead of beer, wine, whiskey, or any other more conventional beverages."

Date gives reasons, of which "because I felt like it" is a possibility and an acceptable answer. Others may be "I'm driving, so dont want to drink alcohol", "I am a recovering alcoholic so I don't drink alcohol anymore" or "alcohol reacts badly to the medication/antibiotics I am on today" etc.
Date continues as before, with the choice of drink not being a factor in whether or not there is a next date.

It could also be "I am a manic pixie dreamgirl, love my quirks. I demand it!!", but to assume it is that, says more about you than the milk orderer or her date.

Edit:

Human Tornada posted:

Every bar or restaurant I've ever worked at 99.99% of our milk supply got poured into 8 oz plastic cups with a lid and a bendy straw and a drawing of a cowboy or an astronaut on the side.

One time I was sitting at the counter of a greasy spoon and a grown man ordered a chocolate milk with his breakfast and the guy behind the counter said "ok pendejo".

Just adding this one in to say that flavoured milk is AWESOME for breakfast. If you have not had a meal of Baked Beans on toast accompanied with a Strawberry Big M, then I implore you to do so as soon as is humanly possible.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 26, 2023

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If a person you're very attracted to orders milk in a bar you're barely going to note it or even think it was cute. If someone you do not vibe with orders milk in a bar you're going to bring it up when explaining why you don't want a second date. It's very simple.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Friendship ended with MILK DERAIL

AITA for complaining that my wife and sister drink too much water?

quote:

My wife and I roommate with her sister and husband(brother in law). This Saturday, my brother in law had to go out of town so that left me, my wife, and her sister to ourselves. These two ladies drink an insane amount of water. Almost every time you see them they're downing a glass of water. I get it, I get it, water is healthy. I don't drink it that much. I can't stand the flavorless taste. We have one of those water dispensers like you see in a typical office building. They don't drink water from the faucet because it tastes bad. Even me, the non water drinker, will agree with that.

We have four 5 gallon containers. That's 20 gallons of water. On the day my brother and law left I had all 4 of the 5 gallon containers filled at the water station. It's now Thursday. Not even a week has passed, and every single one of those containers are empty.

So I got annoyed, and called them out on it. I said to the two of them, "Look, it's great that you love drinking water, but good grief, chill out on all the water drinking."

Of course that didn't sit well with them. This is almost a weekly thing, and either myself or my brother in law are given the task of fetching water

Now WATER DERAIL is my best friend

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All my first dates are to hunt vampire, really weeds out the potential partners from the "there is no such thing as vampires, this is murder" whiners

ya dangus
Jul 2, 2006

Tarkus posted:

Objectively weird? interesting. Out of the millions of things that you could do at a bar that are 'objectively weird', ordering a nice glass of milk ranks pretty low for me on that weird scale. What? A liquid beverage served in a glass? A liquid which they happen to have on-hand that is often used in other drinks? Very weird! Gaspe Good Sir!

What about if they ordered a tonic water? Would that be weird? How about Clamato Juice? A soda of some kind?

The only reason it's weird is because people have a weird notion that milk is a drink for a child. Hate to break it to people, it's not. It is a normal beverage these days and I've seen people from 3 years old to 80 years old order it and it's fine.

Please stop making run on sentience's stance look sane.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If your date orders milk and you decide to order milk too, is it weird because you’re ordering milk, not weird because they already ordered milk, or weird because you ordered the same thing as them?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA fro "going full Karen", and demanding both the employee and pool manager be fired?

NTA, why do people freak out over what looks like a wetsuit :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AceClown posted:

I'm over here imagining someone here walking in to a pub in the north of the UK and ordering a glass of milk lmao they'd be telling the story of the weirdo who asked for milk for fuckin years

Almost as crazy as the time they saw someone they weren't related to.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Private Cumshoe posted:

It's because they are racists.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Private Cumshoe posted:

quote:

they thought I was Muslim since my hair was also covered, and were discriminating.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Private Cumshoe posted:

racism, the op even explained it

e: here cometh we, the repliers three, answer our riddle lest beaten ye be!!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Pirate Radar posted:

If your date orders milk and you decide to order milk too, is it weird because you’re ordering milk, not weird because they already ordered milk, or weird because you ordered the same thing as them?

I hate to continue milking this derail, but you've actually hit on something really important here

So I think we've all been talking about this pretty lightheartedly, which is fine. but I just want to come out and say what we have all been kind of dancing around here. milk is really popular (for obvious reasons) with the Fash.

If you order milk and your date orders milk too, there's nothing weird about it. Like the OK sign ordering milk is a way to discreetly show white supremacist leanings with a veneer of plausible deniability. Ordering milk as a follow up, shows that you've got the memo and are ready to discuss phrenology and race pseudoscience

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Friendship ended with MILK DERAIL

AITA for complaining that my wife and sister drink too much water?

Now WATER DERAIL is my best friend
That's like 2 gallons per person per day by my napkin math, what in the world are they doing with it besides dying of hyponatremia/hypokalemia?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

So I think we've all been talking about this pretty lightheartedly, which is fine. but I just want to come out and say what we have all been kind of dancing around here. milk is really popular (for obvious reasons) with the Fash.

hell yeah, I thought we were winding down, but i think you've found the vein that will really put this derail into the thread history books

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Anytime a goon says "everyone thinks this" or "generally considered" you know they're about to spit some wild rear end hot take

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uus--6heuw8

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is ordering milk at a bar kiki or bouba?

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I hate to continue milking this derail, but you've actually hit on something really important here

If you order milk and your date orders milk too, there's nothing weird about it. Like the OK sign ordering milk is a way to discreetly show white supremacist leanings with a veneer of plausible deniability. Ordering milk as a follow up, shows that you've got the memo and are ready to discuss phrenology and race pseudoscience

What if someone orders iced tea at a bar? Is that like a tankie thing, or is it more on the anarchist side of the spectrum?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

how much % tip should you give the bartender when you order the milk

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mx. posted:

how much % tip should you give the bartender when you order the milk

You don't give the bartender the tip, you give the mohel the tip.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Nerdlord Actual posted:

How to sync up sex desire

Can't have inauthentic sex

..."morning sex person"?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Getting weird over what other people eat and drink is the biggest red flag

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hannibal Lecter posted:

Getting weird over what other people eat and drink is the biggest red flag

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
What if she was under 21 and a JRPG protagonist? Every time my character enters a bar and talks to the bartender, they'll offer him milk and tell him to come back later. Clearly that means ordering milk at a bar is completely normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Forget milk. Milkshakes are where it's at. Unfortunately most bars don't serve those. I did have a bourbon milkshake at a restaurant once, but honestly I'm not a huge fan of bourbon so it felt a bit superfluous.