Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/1654839457370247169

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hey, isn't that bottom right one an SCP?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
God I wish the eggplant emoji = dick meme was secured, contained, or protected away from society.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/goodside/status/1657396491676164096

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

girl dick energy posted:

Hey, isn't that bottom right one an SCP?

a what?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Chatbots Don’t Know What Stuff Isn’t

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

You will lose many, many hours of your life if you Google SCP.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Basically a sci-fi horror wiki/collab project, about a Men In Black-style secret organization that tries to catalogue and contain impossible monsters and anomalies and such, so normal people can live in ignorant bliss.

The main conceit is that most pages are formatted like internal documentation from the organization’s computers, about an individual object/anomaly/person/demigod/space wedgie/whatever.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

girl dick energy posted:

Basically a sci-fi horror wiki/collab project, about a Men In Black-style secret organization that tries to catalogue and contain impossible monsters and anomalies and such, so normal people can live in ignorant bliss.

The main conceit is that most pages are formatted like internal documentation from the organization’s computers, about an individual object/anomaly/person/demigod/space wedgie/whatever.

If you've played the (excellent) Control, that's 80% of the vibe

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I think they used some kind of auto (AI???? :ohdear:) censoring thing for the movie I just watched on tv because the audio would randomly cut out when there was any ambient guttural noise, then I realized oh it’s programmed to mute anything that has the same audio signature as ‘gently caress’ because otherwise it would make zero sense

They weren’t even censoring words lol but at least they didn’t have to pay anyone!! :newlol:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

cats holding a seance around a pentagram

the fast and the furious starring danny devito

firefighters putting out a house fire with jello

a chupacabra wearing sunglasses posing on main street america

a painting of glenn danzig eating hot dogs by norman rockwell

a dog wearing sunglasses giving a thumbs up

the hobbits hoot and holler as they discover an IHOP

beavis mowing the lawn, claymation

gandalf at a rave, poloroid

a cat wearing a kilt

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

rave gandalf in shades is so good. also all of the cat seances

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

fermun posted:

a painting of glenn danzig eating hot dogs by norman rockwell

The bottom right is a powerful image

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

fermun posted:

That bottom left one has incredible '90s Nickelodeon commercial' energy.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

fermun posted:

gandalf at a rave, poloroid

this absolutely owns

bottom right is definitely the best of the best

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

fermun posted:

I particularly like how the food looks like what I would imagine a Shire-based IHOP to serve.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

thats just Denny's

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

HiroProtagonist posted:

this absolutely owns

bottom right is definitely the best of the best
The bottom right one looks normal at first and then after a second I can't help but notice Gandalf's got 6 fingers

an ent riding the subway

bruce willis eating a 5 foot long subway sandwich

robot eating a bowl of computer chips on the moon, science fiction

coolio on stage rapping about garden gnomes

still life picture of a meal of meatloaf and jelly beans

glenn danzig as an astronaut on a desert planet

glenn danzig wearing a tie-dye shirt

i love how he's sad in all but the top right where it's not actually tie-dye and is just a psychedelic skull

glenn danzig, the emperor of the landfill

a picture of what the american flag looks like after being redesigned in 2077

bigfoot riding on the back of a centaur

Cool, but not what I asked for on that one, probably it's going off of some very specific fantasy image since they all look so similar

a grizzly bear DJing a rave

racoons infiltrating a military base

hms dreadnought, ww1 battleship painted like a 1960s hippie van, peace signs, flowers, colorized

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Beautiful!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

fermun posted:

The bottom right one looks normal at first and then after a second I can't help but notice Gandalf's got 6 fingers

He just borrowed one from the top left

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/lesbiaudrey/status/1661426454490406912

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Like with most of these sorts of "takedown" articles, a lot of what they point out comes from just plain bad prompting. With the right prompt, you can definitely get something fun and coherent, you just need to be more prescriptive with what you give it. These things are best utilized as tools, not a brainless "make me art" button.

quote:

I blinked my eyes open, my head pounding in the vice of last night’s booze. A woolly mouth tasted of the dark underbelly of the city, rank with scotch and cheap gin. My shabby flat looked like a cyclone had given it a real work-over. Papers were strewn about like the detritus of some forgotten caper, furniture knocked over, lampshades at crazy angles. A cracked mirror reflected a guy that looked like he'd spent the night trying to box his way out of a casket.

I tried to remember what the hell had happened, but the night before was a blind spot. The last thing I recall, I was at Frank's Dive, propped up at the bar, putting away shots like they were about to go out of style. After that, nada, zilch, a blackout.

Groggy and feeling as beaten as a shakedown suspect, I began sifting through the chaos. A chair, the legs of which seemed to have danced a violent jig, an empty bottle of my last good bourbon. The scene was a puzzle, a jigsaw of liquor-soaked fragments.

I checked my wallet, hoping to find a clue, a receipt maybe, but all I found was the echo of the dough I used to have. No money, not a penny. And my liquor cabinet, once a fortress of solace, was as barren as a beggar's cup. Some low-life had cleaned me out, left me high and dry.

A cold shiver ran up my spine. Someone had been in my joint, knew where I kept my hard-earned scratch. That kind of knowledge puts the fear in a man. The room started spinning. I felt the walls closing in, whispers of unseen threats lurking in the corners. A guy could lose his mind in a place like this.

And then, it hit me like a slug from a .45. I checked the date on the wall calendar. Yesterday was the big day, my godforsaken birthday. A day I'd been dodging like a process server with a subpoena. I wasn't always the best company on my birthday, so I'd kept it under my hat, but someone had found out.

The twisted scene came into focus. It was no robbery, no break-in. The tornado that had tossed my flat around was a hurricane of well-wishers and liquor-hounds. A surprise birthday party in my honor, no doubt wilder than a three-ring circus. My own pad, my own stash, and my own drat forgetfulness.

As I pieced it all together, the dread seeped out of me, replaced with an awful realization: The low-life who turned my joint upside down was me. I'd have laughed if it didn't feel like my skull was splitting in two. Instead, I dropped back onto the wrecked couch, lit a cigarette, and promised myself that next year, I'd remember to skip town for my birthday.

quote:

Write a story with the following beats:
- Alcoholic private detective wakes up in an apartment that is trashed
- He has no memory of the night before, having blacked out on alcohol
- The last thing he remembers was drinking alone at the local dive bar, having one too many shots
- He searches for clues for what happened amongst the mess
- He finds that his wallet is empty, cleared out, his liquor cabinet robbed
- He gets more and more paranoid, distraught, and afraid of who broke in
- Finally he checks the date and realizes that the previous day was his birthday
- The apartment is trashed because of his surprise birthday party

Write this in the style of Dashiell Hammett, with hard-boiled noir narration.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
Yeah, agreed. Plus it's pretty well understood that multiple steps will yield better results, i.e. having it generate an outline first, maybe describe some important characters, etc., and THEN ask it to do the important writing.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

500 good dogs posted:

Yeah, agreed. Plus it's pretty well understood that multiple steps will yield better results, i.e. having it generate an outline first, maybe describe some important characters, etc., and THEN ask it to do the important writing.

feedmyleg posted:

Like with most of these sorts of "takedown" articles, a lot of what they point out comes from just plain bad prompting. With the right prompt, you can definitely get something fun and coherent, you just need to be more prescriptive with what you give it. These things are best utilized as tools, not a brainless "make me art" button.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

they're talking about editing the chatgpt response, not providing it a better series of prompts

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

500 good dogs posted:

Yeah but the people spamming ebooks to the Amazon marketplace aren't bothering to do that

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

500 good dogs posted:

Yeah, I've been having really good success with my Indiana Jones Fan-fiction Generator, churning out outlines then expanding them. I've been trying to figure out how to create something that closely follows an episodic formula and can be extremely repetitive as a feature rather than a bug. It's exactly the sort of dumb nonsense that AI-generated writing is perfect for—a fun novelty, but nothing seriously challenging skilled writers yet.

To make my generator, I fed it classic formulas used by serial writers in the 30s like Lester Dent's Doc Savage formula and other adventure fiction standards, had it summarize the movies and create a formula out of them, added breakdowns of how to write action sequences and story structure, fed it information about MacGuffins and mysteries and quirky character partners an antagonists and politics of the period, then gave it a list of parameters to output.

quote:

For fun, let's say that we're tasked with creating a new Indiana Jones adventure, but that we can't use any other characters or objects from any of the films.

At the center of this adventure is the "MacGuffin." This is a historically, culturally, and religiously significant artifact with alleged supernatural powers. The MacGuffin’s elusive power drives the story's tension and thematically explores greed, power, and respect for history. A compelling MacGuffin should have historical significance, mysterious lore, supernatural power, unseen danger, and be challenging to find. It should be a tangible, double-edged sword with power that's beyond human understanding. Diverse cultures, rich history, and mythology are key sources for creating intriguing MacGuffins. The chosen artifact should connect to the supernatural and require respectful research. The power of the MacGuffin should have serious consequences if misused but also offer potential benefits, adding moral complexity to the narrative. Do NOT use the Spear of Destiny.

To write a good Indiana Jones adventure story, we’ll follow these guidelines: ‘Start by introducing a central conflict or mystery that drives the story and ties into the MacGuffin. Set the stage by vividly describing the time period, locations, and broader context. Begin the story with an action-packed scene that immerses readers in the adventure and incorporate unresolved events or plot twists for continuity. Present a series of escalating challenges, obstacles, and mysteries that the protagonist must overcome, including physical confrontations, puzzles, moral dilemmas, and interpersonal conflicts. Develop a cast of engaging side characters who complement and contrast with the hero, each with their own skills and roles. Create a compelling antagonist with believable motivations, making them more than just one-dimensional evil. Take readers on a journey to exotic locales, using descriptive language to immerse them in the atmosphere and unique challenges of each place. Raise the stakes and maintain suspense throughout the story, highlighting the importance of the protagonist's mission. Include mystery, intrigue, and plot twists to keep readers intrigued and gradually reveal information. Incorporate cinematic action with well-choreographed fight scenes, thrilling chases, and climactic showdowns. Build the story towards a climactic moment where the protagonist faces the ultimate challenge, resolving the central conflict satisfactorily. End each episode or chapter with a cliffhanger, maintaining a cyclical structure of rising tension, conflict, resolution, and plot twists. Use effective writing techniques such as showing rather than telling, making every word count, and creating an atmosphere that reflects the story's tone. By following this formula, you can craft a captivating adventure story that keeps readers eagerly turning the pages.’

Indiana also uses his skills to solve puzzles, riddles, contraptions, and other ancient devices. There are secrets and mysteries.

To create a compelling action sequence in an adventure story, consider several key guidelines. Begin by selecting a setting that offers unique opportunities and visually captivating elements for action scenes. This could involve considering the terrain, architecture, and environmental factors that can heighten excitement and provide challenges. Next, choose a vehicle that aligns with the setting and time period, serving as a central prop for the action sequence and enhancing the stakes. Establish a clear conflict that drives the action, whether it involves the protagonist chasing a villain, escaping a dangerous situation, or racing against time. Make sure to set high stakes to keep the audience engaged and invested in the outcome. Introduce formidable opponents for the hero to face during the action, such as henchmen, law enforcement, or other relevant threats. Include a series of physical challenges that the hero must overcome, such as intense fights, exhilarating shootouts, navigating treacherous obstacles, or conquering difficult terrain. These challenges should gradually escalate in intensity, raising the suspense and pushing the hero to their limits. Encourage inventive solutions where the protagonist utilizes their resourcefulness, environment, and improvisation skills to overcome obstacles in unexpected ways, surprising and engaging the audience. Conclude the action sequence with a clear outcome, where the hero either escapes or achieves their objective, providing a sense of satisfaction and, if applicable, setting the stage for future consequences. When selecting the location for the action sequence, ensure its narrative relevance, cultural significance, geographical challenges, and historical accuracy. By following these comprehensive guidelines, you can craft thrilling and captivating action sequences that contribute to the overall excitement and allure of your adventure story.

To create compelling companions and romantic partners in an Indiana Jones-style adventure story, follow these guidelines. For companions, focus on developing distinctive personalities with unique traits, quirks, and skills that make them memorable. Ensure their skills complement Indiana Jones and contribute to the plot, adding value to the team dynamic. Establish a genuine connection or relationship with Indiana Jones, be it camaraderie, mentorship, or friendship, to deepen emotional resonance. Allow for character growth and development throughout the narrative, giving companions their own arcs and personal journeys. Incorporate humor and levity to provide a balance between intensity and lightheartedness, without undermining their competence. When representing different cultures, do so authentically and respectfully, avoiding stereotypes and showcasing the richness of their backgrounds. Showcase their courage, sacrifices, and moments of heroism, emphasizing their importance to the story. Consider their lasting impact on the wider narrative and Indiana Jones's character, ensuring they leave a meaningful legacy. As for romantic partners, create professional women who defy societal norms, possessing identities that align with Indiana Jones's adventurous spirit. Emphasize their independence, strength, and capability to handle dangerous situations, making them partners in adventure rather than damsels in distress. Highlight their intelligence, wit, and mutual attraction with Indiana Jones, showcasing a strong emotional and intellectual connection. Explore their emotional maturity, allowing them to understand and accept Indiana Jones's non-committal nature. Craft personal growth arcs for romantic partners, enabling them to evolve and discover new aspects of themselves. Conclude the relationship respectfully and bittersweetly after the adventure, acknowledging the bond they shared and the paths they must now diverge upon. By following these comprehensive guidelines, you can create compelling companions and romantic partners that enrich the adventure, deepen character dynamics, and resonate with readers.

To create compelling antagonists in an Indiana Jones-style adventure story, follow this comprehensive formula. Start by giving the antagonist a high rank within the Nazi hierarchy, providing them with access to resources and authority that make them a formidable threat. They should strongly believe in the occult and possess a genuine conviction that the MacGuffin holds mystical power, driving their ruthless pursuit and justifying their actions. Move beyond a stereotypical villain by developing the antagonist with a unique backstory, distinctive personality, and specific motivations that make them intriguing and multi-dimensional. It is crucial to establish their competence, ensuring they pose a genuine challenge to Indiana Jones by matching his intelligence and resourcefulness. Create direct interactions between the antagonist and Indiana Jones, whether through physical confrontations or intense verbal exchanges, to escalate tension, reveal character traits, and drive the plot forward. Give the antagonist a fatal flaw, often stemming from their misuse or underestimation of the power they seek, leading to their eventual downfall. Demonstrate their evil nature through acts of cruelty and ruthlessness, highlighting their disregard for others' well-being. Finally, define their grandiose and dangerous endgame, aligning it with the ambitious goals of the Nazi regime, such as world domination, genocide, or rewriting history. By following this comprehensive formula, you can craft a compelling Nazi antagonist that adds depth, complexity, and heightened stakes to an Indiana Jones-style adventure, captivating readers and amplifying the narrative tension.

The world after WWI was marked by significant geopolitical changes, with the rise of totalitarian regimes in Europe, such as Hitler's Germany and Mussolini's Italy. Japan was engaged in Asia, and the United States focused on domestic recovery while revising its stance on foreign conflicts. The period was characterized by escalating tensions and shifting alliances. Travel during this time was a mix of advancements and limitations, with air travel becoming more common but still limited to the wealthy, while trains and sea voyages remained common. Communication still relied on telegrams, mail, newspapers, and radio broadcasts. The world was less connected and slower-paced, with diverse currencies and accommodations varying in quality. Exotic locales in Indiana Jones stories should be historically accurate, culturally sensitive, visually appealing, and provide conflict or challenges for the protagonist. They should be integral to the story, showcase cultural specificity, and offer dynamic and translational potential. By following these guidelines, you can create a vivid and immersive world that complements the thrilling adventures of Indiana Jones.

An Indiana Jones movie typically follows a three-act structure:

Act I - Setup
The movie opens with a standalone adventure, showcasing Indiana Jones' skills, daring, and principles. The main plot begins when Jones learns about a powerful historical artifact (the MacGuffin) that's in danger of falling into the wrong hands. This sets him off on a new quest. He may also encounter a love interest and/or a companion during this act.
Key scenes: Initial adventure, introduction of the MacGuffin, assembling the team.

Act II - Confrontation
Jones, often with companions, embarks on a global adventure, visiting exotic locales, and encountering various challenges. He grapples with traps, puzzles, and enemies. Simultaneously, he unravels the history and powers of the MacGuffin, usually via his archaeological knowledge.
Jones' quest is paralleled by the antagonist's pursuit of the MacGuffin. Tension builds as both parties get closer to their goal. Jones often experiences a major setback towards the end of this act.
Key scenes: Travel to various locations, deciphering clues, action sequences, antagonist's progress, the hero's setback.

Act III - Resolution
Jones overcomes his setback and continues his quest. This act reaches a climax when he finally confronts the antagonist, usually in a location directly linked to the MacGuffin.
The confrontation often leads to the misuse of the MacGuffin by the antagonist, causing havoc. However, due to the antagonist's lack of understanding or respect for the MacGuffin's power, they are ultimately defeated, often by the MacGuffin itself.
As the climax approaches, Indiana is forced to solve puzzles, riddles, traps, contraptions, or otherwise use his intelligence, wisdom, knowhow, and skills to get past some sort of elaborate challenge, enigma, conundrum, or mystery.
The story concludes with Jones securing or rejecting the MacGuffin, realizing its power is too great for any one person to wield. He returns to his normal life, ready for the next adventure.
Key scenes: Overcoming setback, final confrontation, misuse of the MacGuffin, defeat of the antagonist, securing/rejecting the MacGuffin, return to normal life.
This structure creates a balance of character development, adventure, suspense, and thematic exploration, making for a compelling Indiana Jones story."

Using this formula, let's write a brand-new Indiana Jones adventure. Other than Indiana Jones, this should not contain any characters or artifacts from the Indiana Jones movies. Let's create the following:

[Title], [Year the story is set in, between 1934-1939]
[Key Locations visited (at least 5, do NOT use Egypt, Turkey, or Greece)]
[MacGuffin, with brief history and occult power]
[Love interest backstory and motivations (she should NOT be an archeologist)]
[Key side-characters (at least 5) including a figure who shared in a previous adventure with Indy]
[Two villains backstory/motivations (one Nazi, one non-German)]
[Historical or geopolitical events the story coincides with]
[1 sentence synopsis of unrelated cold open]
[1 sentence synopsis of intro/setup of the adventure to come]
[A long, detailed plot summary split into 3 acts]
[2 sentence synopsis of the climax and how the villain is defeated]

Use 4000 characters, and include all the characters and locations.

It makes a fun, fitting adventure pretty much every time. Occasionally you'll get a dud, or it'll hit on common themes too often (hence telling it not to use Egypt, Turkey, or Greece), but hitting the generate button again delivers something better in a few seconds. They're pretty repetitive without adding specific plot or character details into the prompt, but that's kind of the point.

If I have a particular MacGuffin or story element I want to put into it, I say "Make sure to include the following elements: The Lambton Worm, an eccentric bookstore owner who is an expert in the supernatural, themes of income disparity..." and it'll generally feel very inventive and make the result significantly more interesting than the base-level prompt on its own. The more details you give it, the better the output. And I can ask it to generate me 20 MacGuffins, or 20 villains, or 20 love interests, and then I can cherry-pick the best of the bunch and feed them back in and tell it to include them, too.

If I especially like a story it churns out, I copy and paste that description back into the prompt, then tell it to expand each act one at a time into 5 detailed scenes, and add those back to the prompt. Then I ask what each character is doing in each scene, then feed that back in. It's annoying when I reach a character limit, but then I can usually just ask it to summarize my prompt. I would LOVE to try this in a more automated way, or have a system that could have a 50,000+ word memory, but for now it's fun to play around with if tedious.

No, it's not going to write the next Great American Novel, but if you want a robot to spit out throwaway nonsense that is exactly your brand of dorkiness, it's pretty great at it:

quote:

The screen fills with the bustling nightlife of 1938 New Orleans. Jazz music spills out onto the cobblestone streets, shadows flit about under dim streetlights, and the smell of Cajun cuisine wafts through the air.
Cut to Indiana Jones, in a seedy back-alley bar. He's engaged in a tense game of poker, trading steely glances with a shadowy man named Marceau, a notorious local dealer in illicit antiquities. The stakes are high: Indy's pile of chips versus the man's antique pendant - a relic Marceau claims to be the mythical Wyrmstone. The poker game ends in Indy's favor, and Marceau reluctantly hands over the pendant.
Just as Indy's about to leave, a group of ominous-looking figures cloaked in dark robes enters the bar. They're members of a local voodoo cult, led by a menacing man known as Papa Toussaint, rumored to have connections with the supernatural underworld. Toussaint's eyes fixate on the pendant in Indy's hand, recognition flashing in his gaze. He accuses Indy of theft, claiming the pendant as the rightful property of his cult.
Indy, sensing trouble, cracks a wry smile, flips the pendant in the air, and with a swift motion, draws his revolver. Suddenly, the bar descends into chaos. Gunshots echo and glass shatters as cultists rush towards Indy. He retaliates, his whip slashing and gun firing, but the sheer number of attackers forces him to make a swift exit, smashing through a window and landing in the narrow alley outside.
On foot, Indy races through a labyrinth of dimly lit streets, the cultists in hot pursuit. He turns into the bustling French Market, hoping to lose his pursuers amidst the crowd and stalls selling anything from spices to occult trinkets. But Toussaint and his cultists are relentless. Indy narrowly avoids being cornered, using his whip to swing onto a balcony and then jumping onto a vegetable cart below, sending produce flying in all directions.
Finally, he spots salvation - a classic Ford V8 parked nearby. Indy hotwires the car and peels off just as the cultists close in. A wild car chase ensues, weaving through narrow streets, across tram lines, and into the industrial outskirts of the city. Gunshots ring out from the pursuing cars, but Indy manages to keep them at bay, swerving and weaving with a daring only he possesses.
Eventually, he reaches the Mississippi River, a maze of docks and warehouses. Spotting a moored motorboat, Indy drives the Ford off the pier, leaps out at the last moment, and lands in the boat. As the car splashes into the water, he kicks the boat's motor to life and speeds away into the swampy bayous, the city's lights receding into the distance.
Behind him, the cultists reach the riverbank and get into the next boat. The chase continues along the Mississippi River at dusk, the Louisiana sky painted with streaks of purple and orange. Indy’s boat cuts through the murky water, its engine roaring against the relative silence of the approaching night. Behind him, the cultists' boat emerges from the mist, its occupants brandishing firearms and voodoo talismans. Papa Toussaint, at the helm, barks orders, urging his men to close the distance.
Indy weaves through the myriad of small islands and sandbars, attempting to lose his pursuers amidst the river’s natural obstacles. Despite his best efforts, the cultists mirror his every move, their boat bouncing over the waves Indy's craft creates.
Suddenly, Indy spots an old paddlewheel steamboat ahead, its skeletal structure silhouetted against the setting sun. A glint of daring flashes in his eyes. He turns the wheel sharply, directing his boat towards the abandoned vessel. The cultists, initially taken aback, steer their boat to follow.
As Indy's boat slides between the rotting hulls of the steamboat, he cuts the engine, the boat gliding silently. The pursuing boat barrels in, assuming Indy is trying to hide. Indy holds his breath as the cultists’ boat slides into view. Just as their boat aligns with his, Indy yanks a lever on the console. The boat’s fuel dumps out, leaving a slick trail in the water.
Indy lights a rag, stuffs it into a bottle of bootleg whiskey he had snatched from the bar, and hurls the makeshift Molotov cocktail towards the trailing fuel. The river behind him erupts in a wall of flame, the cultists' boat ensnared in the fiery trap.
Caught off guard, the cultists leap from their burning vessel into the river, their shrieks echoing off the rusted metal of the steamboat. Papa Toussaint, his figure illuminated by the fire, glares at Indy before diving into the water, disappearing beneath the river's surface.
Taking advantage of the chaos, Indy kickstarts his boat’s engine back to life, the propeller churning the flaming water as he speeds away. As he looks back, the old steamboat is a flaming beacon in the night, the cultists' boat reduced to a smoldering wreck as they fire their guns toward Indy.
As the last shot from the cultist's guns echoes across the Mississippi, Indiana Jones manages to slip into the bayou, the verdant maze of waterways and marshlands that lie on the outskirts of New Orleans. He pilots the stolen boat with expert precision, weaving through the thick, low-hanging moss and towering cypress trees. The night is dark, illuminated only by the faint shimmer of the moonlight reflecting off the murky water. The air is filled with the heavy scent of swamp and the distant croaks of bullfrogs.
Suddenly, a pair of red eyes glow in the darkness ahead. Indy cuts the engine, bringing the boat to a silent halt. A large alligator surfaces, its prehistoric, scaled body visible as it slides languidly past the boat. Indy freezes, wary of attracting the creature's attention. The alligator regards him indifferently before disappearing beneath the dark water.
Continuing his journey, Indy spots a flickering light in the distance – a lantern hanging outside a wooden shack nestled on stilts above the swamp. He cautiously approaches, tying the boat to a moss-draped tree and climbing onto the wooden porch of the shack.
From inside, an old blues song strums on a guitar, and as Indy knocks, the music stops. The door creaks open, revealing an elderly African American man, his face weathered like an old oak, eyes sharp as a hawk. This is Thibodeaux, a bayou dweller who has spent his life in this secluded wilderness.
Indy introduces himself and quickly explains his predicament. Thibodeaux, a man familiar with the darker side of New Orleans, listens to his tale with understanding. He offers Indy shelter and a safe route to escape the bayou. He also shares his knowledge about local voodoo rituals, providing critical insights about the counterfeit Wyrmstone that Indy had earlier discovered.
In the heart of the bayou, under the watchful eyes of Thibodeaux and the lurking alligators, Indy spends a brief respite preparing for the challenges that lay ahead in his quest for the real Wyrmstone.

If I wanted to put the time effort and energy to have it actually spit out prose from this, I think it would probably be about on par with the quality of the 1990s tie-in novels.

feedmyleg has a new favorite as of 05:17 on May 26, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Another thing that these "takedowns" of AI often do is say "well this version of ChatGPT can't perfectly simulate whatever I want it to do, which means future versions will never do it either"

I'm skeptical how far things can go before the computational requirements for improved models become overwhelming, but dismissing the whole future field due to the current state of ChatGPT is just dumb

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Why would anyone read that poo poo is my question

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It has absolutely no value except to the person who creates it for themselves. It's a way to make something disposable that tickles your brain wrinkles just right for a few minutes while you're high.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Maybe they should try listening to music or watching a really good movie

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
After several months, there is pretty much no entertainment left in this thing. Whenever a new feature is released, there's a short spike of interest, where you might want to check out just how badly a chat bot can bungle up summarising a let's play video from youtube or whatever, but that's it. There are non-entertainment purposes that are nice and neat, but generated Muppets in the style of Giger are now at best banal and boring.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I think it's pretty cool to read something that wasn't written by a human.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BoldFace posted:

It's still written by humans. Uncountable amounts without better auditing and sourcing requirements for large data models.

So I have a magnifying glass. With my magnifying glass I can hone in and see a single word in a single manuscript on my desk. This is fun but limited. What I'm going to do next is get a lot of manuscripts and open them all up on my desk with some automated articulated page turners. (In this analogy I am paying peanuts to gig workers in expanding economies to find me new books and tear out any pages with child porn). Meanwhile I get a hundred magnifying glass and rig them together with the page turners so that they can be focused on specific words in each manuscript. Next I start designing a dial I can flip from "Indiana Jones fan fic" to "how to wipe your butt" to "Goku romcon." Finally through massively automated artifice I connect the dials to a series of gears that probabilistically pick out the best sequence of words by moving the magnifying glass and pages. (In this analogy I am probably also paying those gig workers to help with the bulk of the artifice and then I clean off the burrs from the gears and call them mine). I turn the dial and in turn as I look through each sequential magnifying glass I spy a story I have not seen before.

Who wrote that story? I'd say the original writers but there's room to debate that maybe I did. Or perhaps more fairly all those gig workers.

We can say the machine did it but that puts us into odd territory about what things like the printing press or internet publishing are doing. Is my contraption any different than Readers Digest taking a dozen unpublished christian living essays because my contraption uses words as the assembling element and Readers Digest takes whole essays? What about the printing press, which takes elemental letters instead of cohesive works? What's the element that flips the equation from humans to machines? I fixed countless spelling mistakes in this post with spell check and autocorrect, but also in school essays in 1997. Was the computer writing for me in 1997?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

BoldFace posted:

Why? You’re just ascribing the human intelligence behind the tool to the tool itself

*reheats leftovers* Wow can you believe a microwave prepared all this food?? :wth:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What generative models do isn't something that humans do, but it is in certain limited ways similar. If you want to think clearly about the moral aspects of the situation, you should be very, very careful about anthropomorphizing it.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

zedprime posted:

It's still written by humans. Uncountable amounts without better auditing and sourcing requirements for large data models.

So I have a magnifying glass. With my magnifying glass I can hone in and see a single word in a single manuscript on my desk. This is fun but limited. What I'm going to do next is get a lot of manuscripts and open them all up on my desk with some automated articulated page turners. (In this analogy I am paying peanuts to gig workers in expanding economies to find me new books and tear out any pages with child porn). Meanwhile I get a hundred magnifying glass and rig them together with the page turners so that they can be focused on specific words in each manuscript. Next I start designing a dial I can flip from "Indiana Jones fan fic" to "how to wipe your butt" to "Goku romcon." Finally through massively automated artifice I connect the dials to a series of gears that probabilistically pick out the best sequence of words by moving the magnifying glass and pages. (In this analogy I am probably also paying those gig workers to help with the bulk of the artifice and then I clean off the burrs from the gears and call them mine). I turn the dial and in turn as I look through each sequential magnifying glass I spy a story I have not seen before.

Who wrote that story? I'd say the original writers but there's room to debate that maybe I did. Or perhaps more fairly all those gig workers.

We can say the machine did it but that puts us into odd territory about what things like the printing press or internet publishing are doing. Is my contraption any different than Readers Digest taking a dozen unpublished christian living essays because my contraption uses words as the assembling element and Readers Digest takes whole essays? What about the printing press, which takes elemental letters instead of cohesive works? What's the element that flips the equation from humans to machines? I fixed countless spelling mistakes in this post with spell check and autocorrect, but also in school essays in 1997. Was the computer writing for me in 1997?

My initial reaction would be to apply the same common sense criteria I would use for human authorship. If the source material is unrecognizable and a human author would not get blamed for plagiarism if they wrote the same text, then it most likely counts as an original work. The question of how much credit the machine deserves depends on how it was used. If the machine produces hundreds of pages of story from a short text prompt, then it sounds fair to give most, if not all, of the writing credit to it. If the machine takes a full script as an input and corrects spelling mistakes in it, then I don't think it needs to be credited at all.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Futanari Damacy posted:

Why? You’re just ascribing the human intelligence behind the tool to the tool itself

*reheats leftovers* Wow can you believe a microwave prepared all this food?? :wth:

I don't make a distinction between intelligence and human intelligence. If my microwave turned a cold slice of pizza into a fresh meatloaf, I would say "thanks, chef".

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
With art, I think I just don't feel the same requirement to connect with the author - I find myself able to enjoy the output of what I know is a random amalgamation of all the artists who have ever lived, in a similar way to the way I enjoy art galleries. And I loving love art galleries

AI text, I don't know if I can get over that hurdle yet. When I read I feel some kind of connection with the author and it makes me mostly dislike all current AI poo poo.

I think it'll eventually get there, but for now I don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bongo Bill posted:

What generative models do isn't something that humans do, but it is in certain limited ways similar. If you want to think clearly about the moral aspects of the situation, you should be very, very careful about anthropomorphizing it.

case in point, snapchat's "my ai" thingie has been teaching danish teens how to self harm :bravo:

i do think you can do art with ai. i dont think prompt engineering is art, but it can be amusing. if you take the ai output and do something with it, it may become art. intent is what makes art. its a conversation between artist and spectator. cf collage or readymades. a pissoir is not art, but what duchamp did was.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 18:13 on May 26, 2023