Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How much does a powerboat racing team cost? I imagine you need to budget a few million for the deaths, but the boats can't be that much. Those often involve nice weekends in pleasant locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

How much does a powerboat racing team cost? I imagine you need to budget a few million for the deaths, but the boats can't be that much. Those often involve nice weekends in pleasant locations.

I think they're also fixed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You could sportswash your brand by sponsoring a competition. The Rugby League world cup could do with a few tens of millions to balance their books, put your name on that trophy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wish I had a multi million budget to waste. It would be so much fun.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The CEO picked Leonardo

Also gave a very noncommittal "Yes we looked at inflation" answer about compensation

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

The CEO picked Leonardo

Also gave a very noncommittal "Yes we looked at inflation" answer about compensation

See? Leo is a manager.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

The CEO picked Leonardo

OF FUCKIN COURSE HE DID smh

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Cthulu Carl posted:

The CEO picked Leonardo

Take the Turtles' advice:

"Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Car Hater posted:

"I've brought some highly experienced content consultants on to help us sell less product in FY24"
Yeah, hire all of us for a couple hundred k each, we can think up lots of ways to not sell anything.

For a very reasonable five-figure fee I can make you a horrible Geocities-esque website that shows your entire product line without any way to buy it. I'm even giving you services at a discount!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Takes No Damage posted:

What's up, absolute fraud tech support senior :hfive:

I feel like I'm pushing things even for a job like that. I get up and check my email/messages, and if nothing new has come in I'll just keep checking every 20 minutes between naps until like noon.

I feel like I'm basically retired. I will ride this gravy train until it goes off the tracks, which it probably never will considering my job is legitimately just "computers". I look at people who win the lottery and think "I basically already won the lottery".

In some ways I think my boss and supervisor are all aware of what is going on, but they're complicit in a sense too. As long as all the work gets done and the emails are replied to, they couldn't care less. My boss frequently dips out from work early and on Thursday will just be like "hey I'm going to be out of the office tomorrow because we're headed off to go camping and golfing at [Local Resort]". Sometimes I am driving around on my work hours and I'll see my supervisor riding his bike with his dog to a local cafe in shorts and sunglasses. I mean we do our jobs, but we also aren't going to let it dominate our lives.

Sometimes after a long, arduous day of gaming and YouTube, I will take a nap at 1PM. or hell, even noon, until my alarm goes off at 4:30PM and I go on my phone and hit "clock out". It's rough, I tell you hwat Bobby.

I feel like I'm gloating now but it took years for me to engineer my life to be this way. This was the plan since I was 13 years old.

edit: I just realized today is my payday. I completely forgot about it. That's how carefree my life is these days. Nice.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 25, 2023

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yeah, hire all of us for a couple hundred k each, we can think up lots of ways to not sell anything.

For a very reasonable five-figure fee I can make you a horrible Geocities-esque website that shows your entire product line without any way to buy it. I'm even giving you services at a discount!

I can uh...[checks notes] charm the older ladies in your office. For a reasonable fee.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Escape From Noise posted:

I can uh...[checks notes] charm the older ladies in your office. For a reasonable fee.

you brew beer and the only thing you're bringing to the table is flirting with MILFs, shameful

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

AceClown posted:

you brew beer and the only thing you're bringing to the table is flirting with MILFs, shameful

No. Not MILFs.

I never said I was a role model!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I'll flirt with all the office milves for a dollar less than that guy!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey, don't devalue the labour.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Blow $40m setting up the worst Onyfans site the world has ever seen.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Outrail posted:

Blow $40m setting up the worst Onyfans site the world has ever seen.

Homelyfans

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I am sure a number of us could offer various consulting projects that could easily add up to $40 million. Hell if it would make you boss happy we could get those project to go over budget by an easily $30 million.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Chewbecca posted:

Question for all: how many hours of actual work do you do as part of one full working day (or shift)?

Not enough to keep busy, but too much to do anything else. When I'm in the office easily 6 or 7 out of the 8 hours; at home, maybe... 2 tops, but I have to fake being present and productive better than a mouse wiggler can do (since it doesn't, yknow, result in any changes to what I'm working on) so it's more "1 minute on, 3 minutes off, repeat" than "2 hours on, gently caress off for 6 hours" like I'd greatly prefer. We've already seen what happens when I complete my backlog - more work gets thrown on me including training with people who have no idea how to train someone and can't explain simple processes. That wouldn't be an issue if they hadn't chosen to let our backup (who was already trained and better at explaining) go, not to replace the person who gave me 80% of my work, pushed the 80% onto the two people who give the other 20% and are notoriously unreliable... and generally just cut out the entire work flow ahead of me and tried to stitch it together unsuccessfully.

Application process still sucks rear end and still not hearing a word back from anyone.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Laffo, honest to goddess meeting today:

Barudak, we think we'll have 40 million dollars next year to blow on top of your regular budget, we need your most wasteful ideas by Tuesday

Start a trucking company

And use it to come pick up my company’s bullshit

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SubponticatePoster posted:

1k would do it I'm behind on rent. And I can guarantee I will lose you money

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

goatface posted:

Hey, don't devalue the labour.

Spend the money setting up the Milf-wooers union

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

We have about 10K to spend on books before the end of the fiscal year and I raided my WorldCat wishlist for suggestions.

You can buy a lot of books for 40 million. Just saying.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Chewbecca posted:

Question for all: how many hours of actual work do you do as part of one full working day (or shift)?

It depends.

Previous position, sometimes it was more than 8, sometimes it was 2, but most of the time it was 4-5. Most of the job was putting out fires, to the point where my manager took me out of the janky productivity monitoring system when I covered for his paternity leave then just never bothered putting me back in. So I would have days that consisted of answering IM's and emails, puttering on pet projects, and not much else.

New position will force me to deal with the janky productivity monitoring system again eventually. It's a "hurry up and wait" kind of job, so I have a feeling it'll have crazy busy days and super dead ones. To keep numbers up, tons of people give weird trainings that everyone randomly shuffles into if they're not busy. Don't worry if you miss one, someone will have one on the same thing 3 days from now!

This allows you to reduce core time and utilization, keeping your numbers up. And since you're probably on mute with your camera off, might as well go get coffee.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If a compan has $40m to blow and has absolutely no idea how to spend it, and has even one employee, and still doesn't know how to spend $40m, the company is dumb as gently caress.

Give all your employees a bonus for generating so much excess revenue. jfc

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

As a regulator, there is nothing sweeter than busting out "as you are no doubt aware" when quoting regulations at someone. :discourse:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Outrail posted:

If a compan has $40m to blow and has absolutely no idea how to spend it, and has even one employee, and still doesn't know how to spend $40m, the company is dumb as gently caress.

Depending on the taxes and exact spending, giving money to employees can be more expensive than buying assets or expenses. Corporate taxes can be weird.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Outrail posted:

a one-minute Superbowl ad

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

satanic splash-back posted:

Depending on the taxes and exact spending, giving money to employees can be more expensive than buying assets or expenses. Corporate taxes can be weird.

It sounds like they need to get rid of this money faster though, so giving it to employees would more rapidly meet the business goal of blowing $40 million. This would cause most of them to comfortably retire, which would significantly reduce future productivity and thus remove these excess profits from expected future problems.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Boss wanted me to compare two components and write a report. Since we don't actually have any on hand, what he actually meant was compare two datasheets and write a report. Parts are identical or similar enough in every dimension to make them physically interchangeable, functionally appear very similar but proposed part uses test parameters that give inflated results, cycle life of proposed part is 50% to 75% of our current part. Conclusion: we need to actually test to see if the proposed part will be an adequate replacement in our application.

Boss: Great, they're identical! We'll start using the proposed part.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

"Ravus, we want you'd to sit in on product design meeting and follow a product from design to shelves so you can find redundancies and loss generating events to save us money. We need to stop the bleeding and figure out why revenues are up but profits aren't."

Perhaps spending 40k for youk your husband, and 3 teenage children to go to Maine for a week has a greater impact on our budget than the paper costing .09 vs .1 cents?

10k of that spend was UPS shipping their luggage to maine and back. Multiple suitcases for a one week trip.

Oh, and we had to pay a weeks rent for storage for the owners Cesna since he flew himself up there. :leavemtg:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

blackmet posted:

"hurry up and wait"
This used to bother me so much when I was young. Wish I'd understood it was time to get paid to chill out.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ravus Ursus posted:

"Ravus, we want you'd to sit in on product design meeting and follow a product from design to shelves so you can find redundancies and loss generating events to save us money. We need to stop the bleeding and figure out why revenues are up but profits aren't."

Perhaps spending 40k for youk your husband, and 3 teenage children to go to Maine for a week has a greater impact on our budget than the paper costing .09 vs .1 cents?

10k of that spend was UPS shipping their luggage to maine and back. Multiple suitcases for a one week trip.

Oh, and we had to pay a weeks rent for storage for the owners Cesna since he flew himself up there. :leavemtg:

Doesn't he use his own money to go on holi.. haha sorry I'm not finishing that question.

Eat the rich.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Barudak posted:

Barudak, we think we'll have 40 million dollars next year to blow on top of your regular budget, we need your most wasteful ideas by Tuesday

Start a charity.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Involve the Yakuza, a traditional entity full of hardworking individuals

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Animal-Mother posted:

This used to bother me so much when I was young. Wish I'd understood it was time to get paid to chill out.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Barudak posted:

Set up a really classy conference, and treat it as an expense that builds awareness of your brand/cultural tradition/whatever the hell it is you're selling. I'm sure you could burn through $40 million hosting the First Annual International Exposition on Traditional Handmade Private Solid Gold Shinto Shrines (or whatever it is you're selling). Frame it right, and you'll be "giving back to the community", too.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Konar posted:

I hate this question

ALL OF THEM, me being around and available is the actual work

If you're an employee asking yourself this, stop worrying for the above reason

If you're an employer asking yourself about others, adjust your internal metrics for what is a good worker, or just gently caress off

Ding, ding, ding!

At this job, I'm being paid for my time and labor. If everything's currently done in the system and quotas are met, then the rest is just being available if needed for anything.

When I'm off the clock, I stop checking work notifications or thinking about work because I'm literally not being paid to give a gently caress. That's how it's supposed to work.

That being said, it is a nice job, good office environment, nice boss/coworkers, etc but the above is the only rational approach to take should you ever find yourself in a toxic or otherwise less-than-ideal work environment where the boss or others try to manipulate you into doing anything extra.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Apparently the head chef is being pissy about me because "all I do" is brew beer. Lol. Yeah dude. That's kinda my loving job.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Complain that all he does is “just cook food” like how hard can that be? I can make myself dinner no problem bud.