Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

but at least it's slightly less horrible now

Still never taking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I've been actively trying to fill out my incomplete discoveries and I still haven't taken No Wand Tinkering even once, because Jesus that's a uselessly, cripplingly awful perk.

Now, Lukki Mutation, on the other hand, is an almost universal slam pick for me. I don't even care that it's not good in big open spaces. Spider mode rules, scuttling creepily along ceilings and pouring acid on dudes rules, effortlessly scaling the walls at the edges of the world rules, 420 turn into a hosed up bug wizard erryday

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Lukki Mutation would be great if it didn't completely disable flight and make a ton of perks useless as a result, but I don't see that change coming any time soon. (Just making it use hover power if you aren't attached to a wall would probably suffice.)

No Wand Tinkering can be useful in the extremely esoteric circumstance in which you somehow manage to get two instances of Edit Wands Everywhere, which I think is only doable with duping or actually getting it to roll once, then not taking it until you find a second one, but if you can get that far you can almost certainly get other, better sources of healing that don't require you to go five parallel worlds out

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Zamujasa posted:

Lukki Mutation would be great if it didn't completely disable flight and make a ton of perks useless as a result, but I don't see that change coming any time soon. (Just making it use hover power if you aren't attached to a wall would probably suffice.)

The current version of lukki mutation is at least "usable" where you just stick in place as long as you're close to a surface and simply move in the direction you want to go. It's not "good" but for a short run it is kind of fun to cosplay as a spider and stalk things from the ceiling.

The original version was beyond obnoxious where it worked by only enabling your jump button when you were close to terrain but otherwise didn't change the jump physics.
But to stay on the ceiling you had to constantly hold or mash jump to stay there, and if you ever let go you still fell down at normal speeds so if you tried to feather it to get around an obstacle on the ceiling and took a fraction of a second too long jump would be disabled and you'd just free fall.

The very first time I explored the overworld I had picked up this mutation (well, the fleshy one). I explored the sky clouds area with it on and let me tell you that was some torture.

Still have some fun gifs from that run though
https://i.imgur.com/03MNSap.mp4

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Using pollen to power a spell generator like this is pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZg58h07rf8

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Why anyone uses giga blades without blade immunity (mod) is beyond me

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I'll try to get some actual new spells/perks added this week :O (although I'll try to be very careful with perk stuff due to the perk pool dilution issue, don't worry)

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

strategery posted:

Why anyone uses giga blades without blade immunity (mod) is beyond me

This is the most disgusting thing I have seen in this thread. How can you live with yourself knowing you are denying saws their greatest hope in life, the possibility of turning a Noit into a blood fountain.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hempuli posted:

I'll try to get some actual new spells/perks added this week :O (although I'll try to be very careful with perk stuff due to the perk pool dilution issue, don't worry)

Thanks, y'all are really doing awesome work updating this game more so long after it's "finished".

Can't wait to see what other poo poo makes it in

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You know what would be a really funny change? Making having ∞ gold actually let you infinitely use the reroll machines.

No other changes, so you could still break them the usual way. But it would make infinite gold actually infinite.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

animatorZed posted:

Still have some fun gifs from that run though
https://i.imgur.com/03MNSap.mp4

It just.... keeps exploding.... :stonklol:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Hempuli posted:

Hey, great to see you (and others) still updating this weird game!

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I got a win yesterday and had the kit to avoid death from turning in the work for the first time, so I did a bit of science. Probably nothing new for some people in here but I found it interesting:

* stuff in your flasks turn to gold
* edr and cursed rock turn into “gold vein” which is similar to sand where it’s firm enough to stand on as long as you don’t disturb it too much, e.g. explosions
* the area where cursed rock used to be is still damaging
* you bleed gold
* clouds from cloud spells are gold colored and rain gold
* the master of masters is still there if you haven’t killed him! I was able to sneak in and get my first MM kill (he bleeds gold too and the “edit anywhere” rock doesn’t transform things into concentrated mana, probably because there are no liquids anymore)

Finding the MM made me wonder if there’s anything else that might be easier to do after turning the world to gold but I didn’t have any further ideas so I just sacrificed my body to a giga sawblade.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I think I created Death Blossom from The Last Starfighter. It doesn't hit hard yet, but I'm looking forward to getting some more hurt on it.

https://i.imgur.com/Aj3x9dB.mp4

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You know what would be a great addition to that wand? Sawblades

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You know what would be a great addition to that every wand? Sawblades

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Right now that's accelerating shot on a triple of digging bolt, bouncing burst and spitter bolt, because that's all I've found. I put spiral arc on it all as well and it looked amazing but didn't really want to hit anything.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Gromit posted:

I'm looking forward to getting some more hurt on it.

Things I learned today: sawblades can dig out the lava lake
https://i.imgur.com/NtaaYrQ.mp4

Ah, who could have predicted this outcome?
https://i.imgur.com/IED3K9t.mp4

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

While my death spray looked great and killed all the normal stuff immediately, Kolmi was an unfun slog. Got him eventually, but it took forever.

In stark contrast to my Alchemist kill in my on-going game right now, where I hit him with the self-fireballthrower. Took 3 or 4 shots to get it to proc on him but once it did he died immediately.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Was having a real fun run then died randomly. Not sure what actually happened to me either.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Was having a real fun run then died randomly. Not sure what actually happened to me either.

I once died to a shock from one of the broken lights in Hiisi Base. Had to upload the death here to get a postmortem.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I was fighting the pyramid boss while immune to a bunch of different stuff AND ambrosia'd to the gills when I suddenly died. The game reported the cause of death as "hit" :confused:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing in this thread (besides absurd murder wands) is hearing about the actual bosses.

My boss is that aggressive little robot with a shield in the vault and so far he has known no defeat.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

I was fighting the pyramid boss while immune to a bunch of different stuff AND ambrosia'd to the gills when I suddenly died. The game reported the cause of death as "hit" :confused:

That might be "you got physics'd", e.g. by a falling chunk of pyramid. I'd think that ambrosia would protect against that, though.

ZeusCannon posted:

My boss is that aggressive little robot with a shield in the vault and so far he has known no defeat.

Yeah, that one's nasty. Melee immunity is a top-tier perk for a reason. Failing that, hitting it with splash damage from explosions can work. Or just run away; it doesn't move that fast.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Beta patchnotes:

Inner Spell makes the spell come out of your character rather than the wand. Null Shot sets all damage to zero.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 24, 2023

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I once died to a shock from one of the broken lights in Hiisi Base. Had to upload the death here to get a postmortem.

The cause of death, i think, was the one for sawblades but i didnthave any sawblade spells, now did I see any from NPCs. Does chainsaw give the same reason? The only thing i can think of is i somehow hit myself with my own chainsaw but i'm not even sure how that would have happened

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

My 3rd attempt to get to NG+++ has just kicked off with me one-shotting 6-orb Kolmi. I'm expecting to get polymorphed and pasted, if history is anything to go by.

I like the mad damage you get on a sparkbolt with 2 Explosive Projectiles added, but I hate the kickback and it making the ground so dark you can't really tell it from the background.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Gromit posted:

I like the mad damage you get on a sparkbolt with 2 Explosive Projectiles added, but I hate the kickback and it making the ground so dark you can't really tell it from the background.

The mod goki's things has an option to turn off ground staining which is very nice for long runs as I agree it's annoying. There's also an option to combine gold drops to reduce the number of physics objects which is nice depending on your perks.
Honestly ground staining black with explosions is a peeve of mine and I wish there was a built in option to disable or reduce it since I prefer to play modless outside of testing stupid wand ideas.
Even if it just didn't stain to 100% black, but capped out at 80-90% so you still retained a bit of contrast to the background and original terrain texturing.

Even if it is amusing sometimes to one click transform the entire world into an eversion like hellscape
https://i.imgur.com/7NHnrVn.mp4

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I finally got to the Temple of the Art, with a couple of wands that weren’t total poo poo.

I built a spark bolt-action rifle, that would shoot five spark triggers with luminous blades at once. The spell that chains into enemies from around corners pretty much made the run. It trivialized the Hiisi Base and Vault. Then I built a triplicate bolt machine gun with damage aura, and encountered my first glowing creep. :rip:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Got to NG+ again and killed Kolmi easily. Before hunting the last orbs to go to NG++ I thought I'd spend some time rejigging the wand to beef it up. Most things died easily but a few were immune so it needed a little extra something.

Tried spells to power being fed by a square barrier, adding to some further damage-boosted giant spitter bolts. Absolutely ate mana (had 6 add manas or something to keep it rapid firing) and was pretty pleased with that as a base. A shot reflected back to me for 2100 damage and insta-gibbed me. Noita!! :argh:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I'm working on the game for a bit again to add a bit more content. Here's one that went on the beta branch earlier today; it makes spells orbit the caster.

E: some more

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 26, 2023

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Spinning blackholes would be great for traversal but the sawblades would affect my heart rate too much to use.

Do things rotate as they spin around? I'll be interested to play around and see what things like chain bolt or plasma do.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

please tell me moving too quickly with orbiting saws will get you decapitated

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Well those saws are terrifying I love it.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Tunicate posted:

please tell me moving too quickly with orbiting saws will get you decapitated

I'm certain that's the case but tbh when recording the above gif I was surprised at how well they kept their distance (I did put two speed-ups on the wand though).

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Hellioning posted:

Well those saws are terrifying I love it.

Giga Black Hole would like to say helloooooo

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
:yeshaha:

random aside, but if you wanna really go apeshit on "stupid utility spells / perks that would be cool to have": enemy radar ii, give enemies you mouse over a little popup with their name/hitpoints/etc

another idea for silly perks is to just put them in the world somewhere, either static or as a drop, that way they don't dilute the pool :v:

on a side note, can we uncap the # of parallel worlds the "know where you are rel. the mountain" perk shows? :v: asking for a friend

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I saw a video on YouTube about effective spells using minimal slots (like homing and rocks etc) which was pretty interesting. Are there any go to spells combos people use that only use like 2 or 3 spells?

I ask as this would be useful for me, a person who sucks at noita and does not make good wands.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ZeusCannon posted:

I saw a video on YouTube about effective spells using minimal slots (like homing and rocks etc) which was pretty interesting. Are there any go to spells combos people use that only use like 2 or 3 spells?

I ask as this would be useful for me, a person who sucks at noita and does not make good wands.

I guess you could do [homing] [explosion on slimed enemies] [slime mist] or similar, though it's nicer if you can put it on a trigger for remote casting. [damage plus] [triplicate bolt] is also solid, and there's a bunch of other spell modifiers that give bonus damage that you can use if you can't find [damage plus]. Freezing shot, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

ZeusCannon posted:

Hard to beat add mana + lightsaber + ping pong