Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

bulletsponge13 posted:

That poo poo fucks hard.

GD_American posted:

The Cole is a damage control success story. Not the biggest (that'd be the Samuel B. Roberts, which was an essentially goddamned miraculous save), but far better than the cautionary tale of the Stark.

Which was also a success (it saved the ship), but at a high cost.

You can't bring up the Roberts without posting the screwdriver pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Modern torpedoes don't damage ships by exploding on them.

Torpedoes damage ships by exploding under them causing a massive water void which expands then instantly collapses, rocking the keel up and down, breaking its back, and snapping the ship in two.

Armor doesn't help. You need a reinforced and flexible keel that can absorb the shock. And even then, the hull gets warped to hell and back.

This reminds me the AF released more angles of that guidance kit that lets JDAM turn boats into bridges

boat not like to be bridge.

https://youtu.be/37qDHY9b6Lk

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1661763740880994310

Oryx finally showing his true colors

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Handsome Ralph posted:

I really want to hear that story.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1661764064517804033?t=pDWMdeczaKbJFbVHDfsXLg&s=19
:3:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Subjunctive posted:

I really want to hear that story.

Well you can read about it right here!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Samuel_B._Roberts_(FFG-58)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Flyinglemur posted:

I tried to look it up early and got the wrong USS Samuel B Roberts which resulted in my falling down my yearly Battle Off Samar hole and reading about yet another ship doing insane things.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Handsome Ralph posted:

Im confused by the significance of the screwdriver.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flyinglemur posted:

The word “screwdriver” does not appear on that page!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Essentially the ship broke in half and was hinging open, the bad way. Every come-along, chainfall, rope and cable on the ship was used to hinge it back shut.

The ship itself was a total loss, but since the US Navy would be completely damned before it'd let the Iranians crow that one of their mines destroyed a US Navy ship, they essentially committed the shipyard version of VIN washing, by jacking several completed modules from the next ship of that class being built to turn it into a modern Ship of Theseus.

The screwdriver is a makeshift cotter pin.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Load bearing screwdriver. It's like jamming a screwdriver into an upper a-arm mount of a 2004 Dodge Ram and balling duct tape around it to get four miles down the road to where you can actually fix it. Or something. I wouldn't know.

Necessity is a motherfucker.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

bulletsponge13 posted:

Not a bombologist, but from my basic (VERY basic, so if one of you is a Bombologist, feel free to correct me), maritime weapons have slightly different considerations.

Ships are built to take hits, because if your tank gets killed, you can walk home- not so much at sea. They are designed to be broken and still float, so they are hard to kill. Armor belts, 100 years of lessons in Damage Control, and advances in tech and metallurgy make modern maintained war ships pretty drat hearty.

The water creates issues with the physics of the explosive detonation- with smaller mines placed against the hull, it's beneficial, acting as a backer for the shaped charge. You can do neat things like cavitation charges that break the ship's keel. But with surface explosives, it does nothing but gently caress up your wonderfully crafted bomb.

The movement of the water ensures you will not be pressed against your target. That space and standoff negates eats some of the force. Most of the explosive- just like on Terra firma- is wasted in atmosphere. It is a factor in why some ship's in naval combat can just eat hit after hit. But even the best built ship will sink if the hole is large enough or ignored enough.

Generally speaking, we do not tend to armour ships as we did in the past and the precise methods by which hulls are designed and constructed to make them as resilient as possible is something that is not openly discussed for obvious reasons, though the basics remain the same as they have been for a century or more-- compartmentalization, layered hulls, redundant systems and so on. In the USN and most other NATO navies (I can attest to this from experience with the RCN), every person in a ship has basic damage control training so as to reduce the likelihood of a hull loss after the two dozen people trained in those skills are killed or incapacitated in an unlucky hit to the engine spaces. As you'd expect, training and doctrine matter an awful lot and conscripts tend to lack the time for the former and a full awareness of the latter (as was seen in the case of Moskva, but there were also serious construction and maintenance issues present there as well).

With that said, a large surface explosion absolutely can do terrible things to a modern warship-- consider at Jutland in 1917, where British armour piercing caps were snapping off of their heavy shells if they struck armour at anything resembling an oblique angle but still detonating outside of the vital spaces of their German targets. The resulting blast damage snapped the rivets securing armour plates or buckled them if they were thin enough, started fires and caused horrendous amounts of spalling that filled the air inside of the affected spaces with clouds of razor sharp metal fragments. Even though most of the German capital ships made it back to port, many of them took such a beating that they were out of service for several months to a year afterwards, and in some instances new construction had to be launched and then delayed to make repairs to capital ships that were nearly sinking. And this was against German battleships and battlecruisers with armour plate up to ten or twelve inches thick-- not modern ships with considerably lighter hulls.

My training on this is not extensive, but I could easily see several hundred pounds of high explosive strapped to a surface drone doing tremendous damage. As others have cited, USS Cole was nearly lost to a very similar attack.

GD_American posted:

Essentially the ship broke in half and was hinging open, the bad way. Every come-along, chainfall, rope and cable on the ship was used to hinge it back shut.

The ship itself was a total loss, but since the US Navy would be completely damned before it'd let the Iranians crow that one of their mines destroyed a US Navy ship, they essentially committed the shipyard version of VIN washing, by jacking several completed modules from the next ship of that class being built to turn it into a modern Ship of Theseus.

The screwdriver is a makeshift cotter pin.

This is a proud naval tradition-- during WW1 and WW2, the RN spliced the forward section of one destroyed warship (usually a destroyer or other small combatant) to the aft section of another ship of the same or similar class to create a new vessel from the remains of another.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Zubian

Fearless fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 26, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Modern ships are tremendously strong not from thick armor plate, but from incredibly rigid, multiply redundant interior framing. It's largely meant to keep a hull seaworthy over 30 years of getting pounded and flexed in heavy seas. As mentioned multiple times, compartmentalization is also a saving grace.

But, modern anti-ship weapons are so destructive that there is no real intent to armor. Everything now is about not being seen, and failing that, not being hit.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
For you infantryman, imagine wearing Level IV plates and full kit on an open field where everybody is tossing around .50 black tips as the smallest ordinance.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

shame on an IGA posted:

This reminds me the AF released more angles of that guidance kit that lets JDAM turn boats into bridges

boat not like to be bridge.

That's a major advance in the lethality of a US carrier group. If a JDAM can do that, so can an JDAM-ER.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1661724151520849920?s=20

One thing to note is that the explosion happens right aft. This ship has very limited freeboard aft, and the boom is happening right where it can hurt propellers and rudders. There's an excellent chance that this strike crippled the target. It's too far aft to be a very likely threat to flotation, but important systems are located right where the drone detonated.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

M_Gargantua posted:

For you infantryman, imagine wearing Level IV plates and full kit on an open field where everybody is tossing around .50 black tips as the smallest ordinance.

Honstly, a 16" shell from the 40s would probably dunk on armor that a lot of anti-ship missiles might not handle, but you can't exactly launch one of those from many dozens or hundreds of miles away and hit a target reliably. And shattering radars can be good enough.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I tried to look it up early and got the wrong USS Samuel B Roberts which resulted in my falling down my yearly Battle Off Samar hole and reading about yet another ship doing insane things.

I end up doing the same thing with Taffy 3

"A large Japanese fleet has been contacted. They are fifteen miles away and headed in our direction. They are believed to have four battleships, eight cruisers, and a number of destroyers. This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

:black101:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

mlmp08 posted:

Honstly, a 16" shell from the 40s would probably dunk on armor that a lot of anti-ship missiles might not handle, but you can't exactly launch one of those from many dozens or hundreds of miles away and hit a target reliably. And shattering radars can be good enough.

The Kh-22 for example had a shaped charge which, being a 1000kg charge, could out perform a 16" shell from 300 miles.

(I don't know how many they ever built and their accuracy was reportedly pretty bad, but still)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Flyinglemur posted:

There is zero chance that the Russian Navy can do any damage control so bumping against a sea turtle could send one to the bottom.

I imagine the pipe patching kits are all just rolls of toilet paper and cartoonishly large I.O.U. cards

Some point backthread I talked about visiting Varyag, Moskva's sistership which was making a port visit in happier times, and one of my takeaway impressions was painted-in shoring timber that did not say great things about their DC readiness.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Telsa Cola posted:

It's holding that cable in place. The cable looks to be helping hold the bow on.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I endorse that repair, BTW.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mllaneza posted:

That's a major advance in the lethality of a US carrier group. If a JDAM can do that, so can an JDAM-ER.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1661724151520849920?s=20

One thing to note is that the explosion happens right aft. This ship has very limited freeboard aft, and the boom is happening right where it can hurt propellers and rudders. There's an excellent chance that this strike crippled the target. It's too far aft to be a very likely threat to flotation, but important systems are located right where the drone detonated.

What can a JDAM-EST accomplish?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

It hits an hour before, since it’s on EST and not DST :dadjoke:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I was gonna make that joke but even I thought it was too dumb

also using bestcoast time

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

A.o.D. posted:

Arrives three hours before a JDAM-PST :dadjoke:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
https://twitter.com/WhereisRussia/status/1660968087825313792

Content: Remember Russia's "dragon teeth" anti-tank barriers they were furiously building last year? This features a video of a Ukrainian tank just driving over them at a reasonably fast clip. Seems to jolt around the tank some, though, would this be expected to actually damage the tank or just rattle the crew a little?

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1661661536216141825

quote:

The EU is discussing the transfer of profits from Russian assets worth €196.6 billion, of which €180 billion are Russian central bank assets, to #Ukraine. These assets were frozen in the Belgian clearing center #Euroclear due to sanctions, the Financial Times reported.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1662001852840390659

quote:

The Polish Parliament has submitted a bill to amend the country's Constitution, which will legally confiscate frozen Russian assets, Wprost reported.

There have also been more and more reports of confiscated/frozen Russian assets being transferred to Ukraine. Considering they tend to be in the billions of dollars/euros, that has to be a further sting for Russia's economy, and with Ukraine having a GDP of ~200 billion USD, that's also going ot be a windfall keeping them well afloat for a while even in the middle of a war.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I ran across a report some months ago that mentioned the estimated cost of rebuilding would at that point be around 800billion $, so that hunk of cash would probably be very happily received.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Saw this in the GBS thread, not sure how accurate this account is but I thought it was interesting

https://twitter.com/tsologoub/status/1661980334232317953

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Those assets were confiscated from Russia a year ago, this isn't doing any new damage to the Russian economy that wasn't already done a year ago.

It will probably help Ukraine and they need the help. It's also taking repatriation of those assets off the table for future negotiations, which at this point is just acknowledging that this war isn't ending in negotiations any time immediately soon.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

PurpleXVI posted:

Content: Remember Russia's "dragon teeth" anti-tank barriers they were furiously building last year? This features a video of a Ukrainian tank just driving over them at a reasonably fast clip. Seems to jolt around the tank some, though, would this be expected to actually damage the tank or just rattle the crew a little?
A long time ago I was crewing a leopard 2. Another tank in my company hit a boulder hidden under snow at speed. Not only was the tank high centered and needed to be pulled off this rock, it also made a big shallow dent in the bottom armor. This dent didn't affect the tank during our normal training l operations at all but the impact also tweaked the firewall separating the crew space and engine compartment, where there's a big valve so that you can open to draw intake air to the engine through the turret hatches when deep fording. This valve would no longer seal right after the impact which compromised the crew's NBC protection IIRC. The tank was eventually repaired but it was a remove the turret affair so a pretty big deal. So yeah, I think you can probably mess up a tank speeding over large pointy concrete objects.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Invalido posted:

A long time ago I was crewing a leopard 2. Another tank in my company hit a boulder hidden under snow at speed. Not only was the tank high centered and needed to be pulled off this rock, it also made a big shallow dent in the bottom armor. This dent didn't affect the tank during our normal training l operations at all but the impact also tweaked the firewall separating the crew space and engine compartment, where there's a big valve so that you can open to draw intake air to the engine through the turret hatches when deep fording. This valve would no longer seal right after the impact which compromised the crew's NBC protection IIRC. The tank was eventually repaired but it was a remove the turret affair so a pretty big deal. So yeah, I think you can probably mess up a tank speeding over large pointy concrete objects.

yeah, my take is that that video is for propaganda purposes, and that they're using some already damaged tank that wouldn't be fit for front line use for it

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
I thought it was shown that these specific tank barriers were being laid unanchored and were hollow. I remember an image of one already cracked, and being able to see that it was only a concrete shell.
Would a boulder, being solid and somewhat buried, cause more damage than a concrete shell that's not buried?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/WhereisRussia/status/1660968087825313792

The video makes it look like those things ain't poo poo, but I guarantee you the tracks on any armored vehicle do not like that.

Like, at all.

The design of those "dragon teeth" may be a bit odd because it doesn't look like they're anchored in the ground (think Siegfried line bullshit), so if you drive into them concrete triangles, they'll tip over and you can probably safely drive over them without throwing a track.
You should not, however, drive into them at speed like the folks in the video. Tracks have mixed feelings about that.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah, my take is that that video is for propaganda purposes, and that they're using some already damaged tank that wouldn't be fit for front line use for it

We need to compare the structural robustness of a ''solid'' russian pyramid versus a large rock and go from there. :science:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/tsologoub/status/1661980334232317953

If I remember right this was the reporting in the day or two before the Moskva sank, too, it started its career as a submarine right after they started towing.

EDIT: Whoops I missed this had been posted in here already, my bad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The way I see it; better a few dinged tank undercarriages than sitting still for too long trying to clear it and risk artillery fire on you.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ionicpsycho posted:

I thought it was shown that these specific tank barriers were being laid unanchored and were hollow. I remember an image of one already cracked, and being able to see that it was only a concrete shell.
Would a boulder, being solid and somewhat buried, cause more damage than a concrete shell that's not buried?

Concrete is one of those things that's extremely susceptible to corruption. Corrupt contractors and building inspectors pocket millions of dollars by using sub-standard mixes, which is one of the reasons why so many buildings in places like Mexico City and Turkey crumble during relatively minor earthquakes.

So I 100% guarantee that whatever Russian company they hired to do this is doing the same.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

psydude posted:

Concrete is one of those things that's extremely susceptible to corruption. Corrupt contractors and building inspectors pocket millions of dollars by using sub-standard mixes, which is one of the reasons why so many buildings in places like Mexico City and Turkey crumble during relatively minor earthquakes.

So I 100% guarantee that whatever Russian company they hired to do this is doing the same.

"Contract says concrete. Concrete contains sand. Therefor, sand is concrete."

But in Russian.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ArmyGroup303 posted:

To paraphrase conversations I've had with sailors: "Every Marine a rifleman, every sailor a firefighter."

There's a cool series on Smarter Every Day where he visits a nuclear sub, and one of the episodes goes into detail on damage control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajK1QMP7ZyI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

ChubbyChecker posted:

A boulder is substantially more tough than the sand filled wish.com concrete teeth the Russians have been deploying.

I remember a video of a UA guy taking a sludge hammer to one and bashing it to huge chucks in like five swings