Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

some dillweed posted:

It's Aline Cedrac in New Nightmare, unless there's some lore thing that explains that she's actually Emily Hartwood.
No, she's a different character. And in a true AitD fashion, the story is really about her and Carnby is along for the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

New Nightmare let you choose to play her. Her run was more puzzle oriented than Edwards, who really is a gormless gently caress.

David Harbour and Jodie Comer are lightning hot career wise too so this must've cost them a mint.

I would be totally sold on this just because Jodie Comer is in it. Except mocap animation still isn't great at facial expressions and half the fun of watching Comer is her making weird faces.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Wow, the Alone in the Dark Prologue is 16 GB and it's literally 5 minutes of slowly walking around 5 rooms before it's over. Strange vibes, more like comedy horror than scary, and due to the cold open it's hard to be interested in what's happening.

Also, them probably spending a lot of money on hiring famous actors is a bit of red flag for me, especially since the few lines they voiced at the end of the prologue were not very good, either.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Runa posted:

That just sort of doubles back around to the question of who the game was even for, who out there wanted to play as Gollum Lord of the Rings?

The classic power-fantasy of Being Gollum :monocle:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I rather have Dobby house cleaning simulator.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I realise the movies are 20 years old by now, but I remember that back then Gollum was kind of a big deal due to a combination of the actor, the CGI, and the millions of people who had never read the books and were like omgsuchaplottwist in each movie as Gollum got more fleshed and eventually turned out to be critically important.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hwurmp posted:

Mechanicus and Space Marine are also good

Shootas blood and teef is actually fairly great, if extremely dumb

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Oh hey, another complication to my purchasing of stuff: Tale of Immortal finally released into 1.0 out of early access and is having a sale/offering the $3 DLC for free. Time to finally admit to myself whether the bad reputation scares me away from it forever or the fact that it's a semi-palatable xianxia game means I buckle into buying.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

SavageMessiah posted:

gently caress u

A) I'm not even 40 yet!

B) It doesn't have The Wizard or The Weasel so it's crap

now I want to play crusader
I mean you should always play Crusader. Such a bummer the third was never finished. Had multiplayer!

I wonder if the Ultima 7/8 remake (Exult/Pentagram) people will get around to adding Crusader to their engine.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Watched a video that says they locked the lore compendium (amateurishly written, terrible), the ability for elves to speak in Sindarin (lol), and emotes for Gollum behind the 50-quid 'Precious edition'. Lmao

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

haldolium posted:

lol the difficulty framing from Miasma

yeah sure its absolutely more tactical to have a bunch of RNG decide if you hit or not, 99% chance *missed*

misread that as miasmata and was confused for a moment

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

GhostDog posted:

Whishlist that fucker: https://store.steampowered.com/app/835960/The_Talos_Principle_2/

I can't believe how hyped I am. I hope they nail the atmosphere again, that game was pure puzzle trance.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Banner is nowhere near as good as the first's Robot + Kitten, sadly

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'd be interested to see what they add to it, as Talos already had a rather long tail with the extended postgame secrets, and then an expansion for veterans... which had its own postgame secrets, help.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Could not be more hype for Talos 2

I hope they don't do the recording/playback puzzles again tho, I hated those

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Zetsubou-san posted:

misread that as miasmata and was confused for a moment

You're missing those 99% because you're forgetting to read the enemies dodge chance of 60%.

Skill issue.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Burnout paradise remastered worth grabbing ?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

it's a fantastic racer, it just might crash to desktop every five minutes

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I just assume some exec saw that Styx game with the little goblin mf and said make that but Gollum

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FastestGunAlive posted:

I just assume some exec saw that Styx game with the little goblin mf and said make that but Gollum

And honestly that would have been a decent game, but what we got was much weirder with way worse stealth fundamentals.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Warhammer sale is my usual cue to shill Armageddon to anyone who likes classic hex wargames. It's basically PanzerCorps but 40k themed, and you get to play the Imperial Guard during the second war for Armageddon (Ork invasion), with all the toys from conscripts to superheavies and even Titan Legion support. Space Marines show up too, as per the lore of this conflict. You have a core army which carries over through the campaign, gaining experience, and you end up gloriously overpowered in the final few missions (the braindead Ork AI doesn't help either).

It's a lot of fun, and there are DLC campaigns should you enjoy it enough to want more, with Ork Hunters a particular highlight as far as I'm concerned.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Nyaa posted:

I rather have Dobby house cleaning simulator.

If we're getting Warhammer 40k Power Wash Simulator, I wouldn't be surprised if we get Harry Potter House Flipper.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gedonia updated this week with a new zone and endgame improvements and a max level bump in what seems like might be the last major update before the dev starts working on a new project. I started that and thought it was actually pretty cool but trailed off after an hour or so. Might have to hop back in there to put some more time into it. It's also on sale for $10 right now so if you were on the fence now's a pretty good time to check it out.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Any recommendations for good Gladius faction DLC? I’ve been meaning to get to this game forever and now I get it for free so I don’t mind dropping a few bucks if any of the expansion factions are especially fun.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

explosivo posted:

Gedonia updated this week with a new zone and endgame improvements and a max level bump in what seems like might be the last major update before the dev starts working on a new project. I started that and thought it was actually pretty cool but trailed off after an hour or so. Might have to hop back in there to put some more time into it. It's also on sale for $10 right now so if you were on the fence now's a pretty good time to check it out.

I had such a fun time revisiting that game earlier this year after the Bard update. Not enough games let you be the cool utility character that just buffs your NPCs like that game does.

Definitely janky as hell and not for everyone, but if you can get the past the jank I think it does a lot of fun / novel things with its class system

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Playing Space Marine Boltgun and it's not bad but it does have the same issue as the previous game in the series had, which is that power balancing Space Marines is a clusterfuck. One shot from the bolter kills most enemies for the first three levels which feels less like the gun is powerful and more that the enemy are super weak. If you're going to do that you kind of have to have lots and lots of enemies, which I didn't really see until the end of the fourth (Or third? The part with the Plasma gun) level. There doesn't feel like there's a lot of impact or recoil to the shooting, since enemies either absorb hits until the die or they instantly explode into a shower of blood.

Anno posted:

Any recommendations for good Gladius faction DLC? I’ve been meaning to get to this game forever and now I get it for free so I don’t mind dropping a few bucks if any of the expansion factions are especially fun.

All the DLC factions are pretty good, I'd say that Tau is probably the most newbie friendly. The only one I would really shy away from is Chaos, because they have a lot of weaknesses and RNG dependent stats. But if you're just doing a campaign run on normal they basically all work.

The trickiest one to play would probably be Tyrranid because they have a bit of a weird economy and rely on really flooding the map with units, but it's not that bad.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

FuzzySlippers posted:

Gollum is a boring character we already know everything about.

I might be the only one who thinks this, apparently, but I'm sad this is a bad game because I actually think they found an interesting thing to make a game out of. Gollum's adventures between losing the ring and catching up with Frodo and Sam are only told in the books retroactively and from Gandalf's perspective, but he does a hell of a lot in that time and it could have been a really interesting exploration into pre-war Mordor and Gondor. I think they ran into a big problem in that we've already had the "definitive" portrayal of Gollum in the movies and so if you stick with that interpretation then you're stuck in an uncanny valley situation where it's close but not good enough. They probably would have been better off trying something new with him. But then also they made a bad stealth game around it where apparently you farm bees?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

another one

https://twitter.com/GollumGame/status/1662124108614717448

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

This truly is the era of the apology twitter post.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

wasn't Gollum delayed several times before? And people each time said that no one wanted that game and it should just die?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Could not be more hype for Talos 2

I hope they don't do the recording/playback puzzles again tho, I hated those

Yeah, if those are in, it’s a pass from me. Don’t think I’ve ever gone from loving to hating a game quite like that any other time.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

This truly is the era of the apology twitter post.

Give it a few more years and the apology post will be DLC

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dear players,

Sorry our game sucks.

Thank you for your support

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

kazil posted:

wasn't Gollum delayed several times before? And people each time said that no one wanted that game and it should just die?

Originally expected to launch in 2021! Sure hope they put those additional two years to good use

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/delayed-3-times-already-lord-of-the-rings-gollum-wont-launch-until-april-at-the-soonest/1100-6510806/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mystes posted:

Dear players,

Sorry our game sucks.

Thank you for your support 70$

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

CuddleCryptid posted:

All the DLC factions are pretty good, I'd say that Tau is probably the most newbie friendly. The only one I would really shy away from is Chaos, because they have a lot of weaknesses and RNG dependent stats. But if you're just doing a campaign run on normal they basically all work.

The trickiest one to play would probably be Tyrranid because they have a bit of a weird economy and rely on really flooding the map with units, but it's not that bad.

Thanks. From a playstyle perspective are there any “late game” factions? I know it’s sort of the opposite of how 4X games usually work but I enjoy factions that start weak and end up more powerful towards the end of the game, esp if there are lots of strong support units.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

quote:

Dear players,

Sorry you keep spending $70 on games that suck, but as long as you're going to do that, can you really blame us?

Sincerely,

The dev team

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You're never going to talk yourself out of it, just put your lovely games out and let us hate on them, like we did with terrible NES games

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I was certain that Gollum was going to be a competent but average stealth game because I somehow had it in my head that the studio that made the Styx games was making it and it was sort of a natural evolution to apply that template to an established IP.

I was very wrong, completely different studio that seems very out of their element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

2024 we're going to finally see the rise of the pre-order only immersive sim video game video game where you play a character struggling to load a game on release day, searching the bowels of the internet for config hacks to get it working, getting into arguments with your partner, staying up til 4am on a work night for literally no reason, and then when the game loads it's just an apology cinematic from the in-game devs and a link to the store page to buy some DLC for the actual content