Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Share and enjoy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Zero_Grade posted:

Speaking of fast food fish sandwiches, I tried the Wendy's limited-time for the first time this year and it was legitimately good, much to my surprise.
Popeyes had an outstanding flounder sandwich this Lent that I dearly wish were more regularly available. That thing had heft.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

PurpleXVI posted:

Share and enjoy.

I get heartburn from just looking at that

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

same

my heart is burning with desire

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Normal pizza is salty enough that I feel it for like a day afterwards, I think if I ate that I would just spontanously dessicate.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
nah just heart burn, also I don't see the froth of orange grease coming off of it. probably fake

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Katz's Delicatessen Pizzeria

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Grognan posted:

nah just heart burn, also I don't see the froth of orange grease coming off of it. probably fake

they probably had to cook it on a wire rack, with somebody watching the oven at all times to make sure the oil tray below didn't catch fire.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nah, they just pan-fried the pepperoni first and then piled them on. Probably not even that greasy comparatively

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sort of an odd one. My breakfast today. "Shakshuka"

It doesn't look bad, but I was under the impression that shakshuka was supposed to be cooked into a somewhat coherent mass in a frying pan, whereas what I got was more like a tin of chopped tomato with a couple of poached eggs sitting in it.

It tasted quite nice but the consistency was quite tiring after a while. I would have preferred it reduced a lot more and served with more bread. The flavours are quite pleasant though so I may have a go at making it myself.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's how you'd expect a café Shakshuka to be served in here, so there's plenty of liquid but not as much as your's.

They definitely overdid it a bit on the creative front with your dish.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is also what every photo I've seen of it looks like so I suspect that it might just have been a kind of low effort on the part of the mildly trendy but low rent british cafe I went to. Literally it was swimming in tomato juice so I think they just dumped the can in and warmed it up.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sounds like you got shaksuckered

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Oh British, that explains why the eggs were poached separately rather than cooked in the sauce.

Also the name of the dish comes from the word for 'to shake' so the notion of cooking every element separately and only combining them on the plate goes against the spirit of the dish.

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 14:11 on May 26, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did initially fancy eggs royale but I thought "oh I have been wanting to try shakshuka so why not"

At least I learned I would probably enjoy it made properly?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
It's pretty easy to make on your own and 100% delicious when made properly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I can forego the coriander, the devil's leaf.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

If you can handle making a good tomato sauce then its an amazingly easy and delicious breakfast to make, you just ladle some sauce into a pan and cook some eggs in it.
If you want to get fancy like restaurants do it then you can add some cheeses after it's hot and transfer to a hot oven to get it a bit creamed.

Also green shakshouka is also a thing and it can be just as good.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Desert Bus posted:

It's pretty easy to make on your own and 100% delicious when made properly.

It's also worth noting that "shakshuka" is something you can add just about anything to - it's not quite as good at emptying a fridge as a frittata, but it's close. Artichoke hearts, pickled cherry peppers, sliced olives, spinach - go wild.

Shooting Blanks has a new favorite as of 15:08 on May 26, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

Also I can forego the coriander, the devil's leaf.
You may be more interested in eggs in hell, shakshuka's less ethnic cousin.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That reminds me actually, I went to greece once as a child and my girlfriend recently went on a trip there, and something we both noticed was that the feta cheese they sell there is eye wateringly salty. I like the stuff we get in the UK but the greek stuff is like eating a handful of salt. Just completely overpowers everything you put it with.

I can only assume people there get used to it and just don't taste it.

zedprime posted:

You may be more interested in eggs in hell, shakshuka's less ethnic cousin.

That sounds nice yes, though I also liked the sound of putting paprika in it which I do like. Just specifically I think I have that thing that makes coriander taste vile, my mother does too.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It helps preserve the cheese, some people let these salty cheeses sit in water for a couple minutes before using which helps.

That's fine coriander is not a necessity of shakshuka, just a garnish in that photo.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

OwlFancier posted:

That sounds nice yes, though I also liked the sound of putting paprika in it which I do like. Just specifically I think I have that thing that makes coriander taste vile, my mother does too.

The common understanding of this gene is false, its not a get out of jail free card to justify your pickiness. Plenty of people have it and still enjoy coriander or else it wouldn't be such a fundamental part of so many cuisines.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The justification for my pickiness is that I don't like how it tastes so I don't eat it if I can avoid it.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
Only eating things you like is what children do! Real men eat things they hate until they can't taste anymore and die an empty bitter husk.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's also worth noting that "shakshuka" is something you can add just about anything to - it's not quite as good at emptying a fridge as a frittata, but it's close. Artichoke heards, pickled cherry peppers, sliced olives, spinach - go wild.

It's one of those where you just Google up a handful of recipes, realize "oh this is easy," throw together something and it works and id delicious. It's a tomato base with eggs. If you can't cook around tomato and eggs you have bigger problems that making a decent shakshuka.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Yeah basic shakshuka is really easy to make and can be fancied up as much as you want. Simmer some tomatoes until reduced, throw in whatever you feel like (harissa is not optional by the way), crack some eggs in, cover and let sit until eggs are your desired consistency, top as desired.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

hmm, might have to try some shakshuka this weekend

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Lib and let die posted:

hmm, might have to try some shakshuka this weekend

I make it once a week as one of my vegetarian dishes. Uses up things I always have, tasty as hell, quick, and easy.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Crust First posted:

Only eating things you like is what children do! Real men eat things they hate until they can't taste anymore and die an empty bitter husk.

Yeah I worded that poorly, obviously it's fine to dislike whatever, it's just not as simple as have coriander soap gene = taste bad

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Crust First posted:

i forced myself to like coleslaw as an adult. i don't regret it.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ABQTopes/status/1661842422626762752

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shashouka is a top-tier dish and there are infinite amazing variations on it.

Throw some kind of cured meat in the sauce. Dry chorizo is good and fits the flavour profile nicely. Going to try it with home-made dry ham soon. Calabrian salami is good too.
Scramble the eggs and add extra cheese so it's like a dip.
Lots of fresh peppers, spicy or sweet
Green tomatoes
Broiled to make the top crispy
Steamed to make it soft and stewy

Serve with pita or sourdough or whatever nice bread you have.

And the sauce can be as easy as squirting a tablespoon of harissa into some oil in a pan, letting it fry a spell, and then adding your favourite tomato sauce. Get that simmering, crack in your eggs, throw on the lid, and there you go. Or leave the lid off and bake it.

Can you tell that I make it regularly? (I have hens and grow my own tomatoes)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Shashouka is a top-tier dish and there are infinite amazing variations on it.

Throw some kind of cured meat in the sauce. Dry chorizo is good and fits the flavour profile nicely. Going to try it with home-made dry ham soon. Calabrian salami is good too.
Scramble the eggs and add extra cheese so it's like a dip.
Lots of fresh peppers, spicy or sweet
Green tomatoes
Broiled to make the top crispy
Steamed to make it soft and stewy

Serve with pita or sourdough or whatever nice bread you have.

And the sauce can be as easy as squirting a tablespoon of harissa into some oil in a pan, letting it fry a spell, and then adding your favourite tomato sauce. Get that simmering, crack in your eggs, throw on the lid, and there you go. Or leave the lid off and bake it.

Can you tell that I make it regularly? (I have hens and grow my own tomatoes)

are...are we sure this isn't an italian dish?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

i forced myself to like coleslaw as an adult. i don't regret it.

For me it was blue cheese and I'm similarly glad. I've tried liver a bunch of ways though and nah gently caress that

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Lib and let die posted:

are...are we sure this isn't an italian dish?

The middle east and Italy are a part of the Mediterranean Sea region, and many many dishes and culinary practices have crossed over the nations here.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Coriander tastes like soap

Parmesan like vomit.

Some people are just weak.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Liver is very nice, love a bit of liver and onions.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah I worded that poorly, obviously it's fine to dislike whatever, it's just not as simple as have coriander soap gene = taste bad

Yeah I totally understand the cilantro/coriander soap thing. It does taste kind of soapy, and I want soapy leaves on my tacos, indian, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

FreudianSlippers posted:

Coriander tastes like soap

Parmesan like vomit.

Some people are just weak.
Parmesan is a point of view problem because it is made out of vomit, like chocolate. It quantitatively tastes like vomit but depending on circumstances it can be a good thing.