Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
In one of the latest videos Jace mentions that Nanite requires fast hard drive write speeds - is this just a miscommunication somewhere (it definitely requires fast read speeds), because I don't find any other mention online of this issue, and it seems weird that a game engine would do a lot of writes to disk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ymgve posted:

In one of the latest videos Jace mentions that Nanite requires fast hard drive write speeds - is this just a miscommunication somewhere (it definitely requires fast read speeds), because I don't find any other mention online of this issue, and it seems weird that a game engine would do a lot of writes to disk.

Probably, but was the context talking about playing the game, or their work doing dev? If it was dev side, this new U5 stuff does a huge amount of pre-computing during import and works with big caches. That would probably need a lot of drive performance.

Otherwise, yeah:

U5 docs posted:

Since Nanite relies on the ability to rapidly stream mesh data from disk on demand. Solid State Drives (or SSDs) are recommended for runtime storage.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

priznat posted:

I would kind of like it if they had it so buiding next to a powered item would also power it so you didn't have to have a spray of power poles. Or perhaps a special foundation that allowed power. Not sure if these are already mods, probably.

My personal niche wish list is if you could set a blueprint to go off a wildcard so if I make a modular smelter block I only need 1 blueprint and don't have to run and update 16 smelters output directly. Or even just having a mass-change option when in the blueprint editor so I can quickly knock out different versions by just choosing different options/colors.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

zoux posted:

Daisy chain mod is critical unless you think cable management is compelling gameplay. And if you do come over to my house and redo my hookups.
what is conveyor management if not cable management? and who doesn’t love a tidy bus?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'd love there to be energy management. It'd piss off tons of players tho, because it'd practically break every factory file existing.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Big QoL improvements coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jDBEpAlS2s

Get hosed fart rocks!

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jDBEpAlS2s

GAS PILLARS DESTROYABLE

edit: lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

God that change to conveyer placement is so good

e: dismantle filter too

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 26, 2023

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Wow, that's all... really, really good. The movement on turbofuel jetpacks :eyepop:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Finally the liquid biofuel section of my warehouse will have a use. Certainly more use than fueling the dune buggy I never drive.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Solid and liquid biofuel in the jetpack means you can have one from nearly game start if you can find Johnny Jetpack.

Fart rock destruction is nice I guess, kinda sad they didn't come up with something more interesting / unique. Fart rocks are basically spore flowers now. Good, but also meh. I really want a small-radius nobelisk now.

I'm betting that whole 1st person trace thing is the unreal default and corrects for a gun being offset from the "eyes". So guns will aim a bit low now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Klyith posted:

Otherwise, yeah:
I guess when UE5 games with heavy Nanite use become common, it's probably not worthless to bump up to 64GB RAM for the caching potential. Be it the system's disk cache or letting the engine keep things hot in memory.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Klyith posted:

Solid and liquid biofuel in the jetpack means you can have one from nearly game start if you can find Johnny Jetpack.

Fart rock destruction is nice I guess, kinda sad they didn't come up with something more interesting / unique. Fart rocks are basically spore flowers now. Good, but also meh. I really want a small-radius nobelisk now.

One of the comments on the coffee stain video suggested fart rocks could be used to make (liquid?) biofuel and I have to say, it's a nice way of making biofuel an automated product and keeping it important longer into the game. It's probably not an option now that players can literally destroy the "resource nodes" now, though.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

rarbatrol posted:

One of the comments on the coffee stain video suggested fart rocks could be used to make (liquid?) biofuel and I have to say, it's a nice way of making biofuel an automated product and keeping it important longer into the game. It's probably not an option now that players can literally destroy the "resource nodes" now, though.

They could make the node spawn under the rock when it's destroyed. Probably not going to happen in vanilla, but it's a good idea for a mod

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Stoked about the zip line rework. I always liked them in theory but they are really clunky and the jetpack rules.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I hadnt seen this until now
Factorio in Unreal 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01qux-5Qx_Y

https://github.com/FUE5BASE/FUE5

quote:

How does it work?
Nuke wrote a Factorio mod called FUE5-Exporter, which exports the ingame base as a .json text file. This text file is then parsed by our UE blueprints which create 3D replica of your ingame base in UE5. Most of the trailer shots have been built this way.

Is there any gameplay?
No. All you can do is to fly around your base and toy around with existing assets and UE construction and event blueprints. For those with experience in UE there is a lot of fun stuff you can do with the blueprints we've designed for the belt, rail and logistic systems.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg5s72g60UQ

Always thought this guy was a really good community manager, I wish him luck.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah he seems cool.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
There's a followup on Jace's personal channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqadZTfDwPA

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Wyld Karde posted:

There's a followup on Jace's personal channel.

In case anyone is curious, but not curious enough to watch both clips; Jace is leaving his post as one of the community manager for Satisfactory because he wants to try to make his own games instead of working on someone else's game. Big step, but sounds like a healthy choice, and I wish him well.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Has something changed with the games graphics recently? I've got over 500 hours in the game, absolutely no problems with motion sickness. Could bounce around with the jetpack, slide everywhere, fling myself through hypertubes, whatever. Now I play the game for 15 minutes and I feel extremely gross.

I'm not generally prone to motion sickness, but there are a couple of games that reliably cause it. Wolfenstein 3d for instance. I'm just confused because Satisfactory never caused me the slightest problem before.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Lemony posted:

Has something changed with the games graphics recently? I've got over 500 hours in the game, absolutely no problems with motion sickness. Could bounce around with the jetpack, slide everywhere, fling myself through hypertubes, whatever. Now I play the game for 15 minutes and I feel extremely gross.

I'm not generally prone to motion sickness, but there are a couple of games that reliably cause it. Wolfenstein 3d for instance. I'm just confused because Satisfactory never caused me the slightest problem before.

The lighting has changed a bit over the last few years but other than that it hasn't undergone any major graphical upheavals. Those changes weren't even that noticeable except for a week or two when they forgot to add one of the lighting layers and everything looked desaturated, the game looks a bit more colorful now but that doesn't seem like the sort of thing which should be causing motion sickness.

e: Maybe your FOV settings got set to something uncomfortable? That seems to cause motion sickness for a lot of people, maybe try turning it down.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 7, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I got hit by the motion sickness the last time I loaded it up a few months back too, I have no idea why. Perhaps it's just a getting old thing?

The last game to give me that was "The Witness" which I had to stop playing as going from puzzle to puzzle just made me too queasy.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
There's something that causes nasty framerate drops in menus, inconsistently. From people on reddit you can switch to DX11 to cure it. But then you're on DX11 and general performance is a bit worse, and it doesn't look as good. Alternately I feel like if I'm getting the menu bug and general stutter just restarting the game will cure it. Kinda dice roll though.

All of their tech people have been all hands on dick with the Unreal upgrade so bugs are going unfixed.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The lighting has changed a bit over the last few years but other than that it hasn't undergone any major graphical upheavals.

In particular in one of the recent updates the lights tech got split into two paths -- low and medium light quality is the same as when lights were first released, high and ultra use a more intense system.

So if your performance is taking a dump when all the lights switch on at night, change it to medium.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Update 8 release date announced, 13th of June

And then coffee stain goes on holiday so the experimental cycle will be longer than the usual ~1 month of previous updates.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

MRW it's time to start a new save file:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Klyith posted:

Update 8 release date announced, 13th of June

And then coffee stain goes on holiday so the experimental cycle will be longer than the usual ~1 month of previous updates.

Fuckin D4 just came out, cmon

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's possible to play two games! I'm definitely doing so, and maybe even playing 3 if playtimes extend to the release of FFXVI two weeks from today...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Extremely low content release, besides the Unreal changes.

Are they working on a different game also?

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The lighting has changed a bit over the last few years but other than that it hasn't undergone any major graphical upheavals. Those changes weren't even that noticeable except for a week or two when they forgot to add one of the lighting layers and everything looked desaturated, the game looks a bit more colorful now but that doesn't seem like the sort of thing which should be causing motion sickness.

e: Maybe your FOV settings got set to something uncomfortable? That seems to cause motion sickness for a lot of people, maybe try turning it down.

What's strange is that I had played a bunch after the last major update, no problems at all. I don't remember changing any settings either. It's just very strange.

Good point about the FOV. I'll try messing around with that and see how it goes. Maybe the default got messed around or something.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

euphronius posted:

The Satisfactory devs are separate from the teams making other Coffee Stain games, they seem to be entirely focused on Satisfactory from what I can glean from dev logs.

Long-reach power lines and priority switches are nice but not all that game changing, the engine update sounds like it caused a lot of problems and they had to spend most of the time sorting that out instead of working on actual game stuff. Still a possibility of new features they're keeping hidden until the actual release like when they kept drones under wraps. I'm always hoping for the next stage of production with quantum crystals and all the other unreleased materials but it doesn't look like that's coming with this update.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I get that the unreal stuff probably took forever.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Will be interesting to see how UE5 is received. There’s less than a handful of UE5 titles out so far

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ymgve posted:

Will be interesting to see how UE5 is received. There’s less than a handful of UE5 titles out so far

Yeah I'm really curious to see how it looks. The tech demos have been spectacular looking but I'm not expecting something as canned as that, but it still should be an improvement.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

euphronius posted:

I sure hope on Satisfactory 2.

For real, a sequel that'd use the new procedural stuff for world generation would be dope.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The tech team doing the UE5 upgrade is probably also separate from the content team, which is probably working on 85% story mode and 15% bonus gameplay features by now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

getting able to build stuff in space like spaceships, an orbital ring and eventually dyson sphere or other giant megastructures would be really cool.

The interface is different enough from dyson sphere project so I don't think there would be a big issue of overlap

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Combat Pretzel posted:

For real, a sequel that'd use the new procedural stuff for world generation would be dope.

Actually I hope not, the game having an actual crafted world sets it apart from factorio or dyson sphere program.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

euphronius posted:

The smart power switches are pretty cool, I was kinda :nallears: at first but the more I think about them the more of a big deal I think they are.

Using them intelligently means you can ride the edge of your power output with confidence. Batteries alone couldn't really do that, they are just a softer edge than instant outages. But smarter load shedding gives you a bunch of interesting options.

Basically, you never have to interrupt something else to build more power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Those are a good option instead of my wish of a centralized control where you could shut off areas remotely.