Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

I'm just saying, if Patriots are intercepting them at the rate they are, they're fancy expensive cruise missiles.

They're not cruise missiles, they are ballistic missiles.

A cruise missile comes in low, a ballistic missile goes up real high and comes down real fast in a ballistic trajectory. They are pretty hard to intercept due to the speed, but not impossible since the trajectory is predictable.

What they definitely are not are hypersonic missiles, at least not in the typical sense, which is a missile that follows a cruise missile like trajectory at mach 5+ and can maneuver at that speed. Theoretically that makes them real hard to intercept because something that comes screaming over the horizon at mach 5 and is pulling evasive maneuvers all the while is a air defense nightmare. Kinzals are demonstrably not that.

If Kinzals are hypersonics every ballistic missile is hypersonic. They are just a air launched BM that Russia calls hypersonic for propaganda purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Geisladisk posted:

They're not cruise missiles, they are ballistic missiles.

A cruise missile comes in low, a ballistic missile goes up real high and comes down real fast in a ballistic trajectory. They are pretty hard to intercept due to the speed, but not impossible since the trajectory is predictable.

What they definitely are not are hypersonic missiles, at least not in the typical sense, which is a missile that follows a cruise missile like trajectory at mach 5+ and can maneuver at that speed. Theoretically that makes them real hard to intercept because something that comes screaming over the horizon at mach 5 and is pulling evasive maneuvers all the while is a air defense nightmare. Kinzals are demonstrably not that.

If Kinzals are hypersonics every ballistic missile is hypersonic. They are just a air launched BM that Russia calls hypersonic for propaganda purposes.

Now imagine designing something that can do that AND maneuver at speed underwater, like they claim to have

lol

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Easier to not believe anything that the worlds former second largest army says. Tankies have been cheering at hypersonic missiles for the best part of 6 months now with the dumb phrase of ''lol it out runs missile interception''. When you point out the glaring obvious that intercepting missiles are going TO the incoming missile then the conversation takes an abrupt halt.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/tsologoub/status/1661980334232317953
What was the use of lying now that the truth is out there for all to see?

Why did you sting me, said the frog to the scorpion? Now we'll both drown!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Philonius posted:

Why did you sting me, said the frog to the scorpion? Now we'll both drown!

"Lol" said the one time use Unmanned Explosive Boat

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

zone posted:

What was the use of lying now that the truth is out there for all to see?

They lie about everything and to everyone.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1662057436579082242

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Randarkman posted:

They lie about everything and to everyone.

The west is falling behind in strategic lying capability.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

McGavin posted:

The west is falling behind in strategic lying capability.

This is why we need to re-elect Trump. We cannot afford a lying gap.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol Going into overdrive

https://twitter.com/djuric_zlatko/status/1662030904028479488?s=20

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Serbians and carrying water for POCCNR, every single time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the rest of my undamaged hull is out of frame, laughing with me

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Russia seriously needs to upgrade their relic navy from 1970

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

its nice to at least see some good things happening there, using prisoners as slave labor is hosed up

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Tai posted:

It's arguably fine as it is, or at least as I'm concerned.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Look it shrugged off the explosion no problem but the shaking jostled someone and they dropped their cigarette causing a smoking accident. So the ship returned to port to go pick up smokes.

No you can't see it.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

russia did what the decadent wesst could not

log off

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

just imagining mountains of pinecones just rotting away, with nobody to collect them

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Tai posted:

The vessels of this class are designed for providing communication. The first ship, Yuriy Ivanov, was laid down in 2004 and was launched on 30 September 2013. The second ship, Ivan Khurs, was launched on 16 May 2017

I have no words

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

So it definitely sank with all hands

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

He may have already done that.

This bullshit again. The use of entrenching tools in close combat is a thing and has been for over a century. It says nothing about ammo supplies to a unit that found itself in close quarters trench fighting, ganking someone with an entrenching tool is a really good way to put them down.

Sidearm pistols would be better tho

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tai posted:

You try producing that many zodiacs when you can’t afford market price on rubber

They would also need a new flagship to replace the Moskva, but the used market on old Scarabs is still pretty high if you are going to go with a full out seven-sleeper model with a complete bank of Evinrude outboards as would befit a nation state.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Tai posted:

Nah, I'd say they don't.

Don't upgrade any of their military, they're doing fine.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/reconghostsamar/status/1661845843031343105
My sides :laffo:

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

shadow puppet of a posted:

You try producing that many zodiacs when you can’t afford market price on rubber

They would also need a new flagship to replace the Moskva, but the used market on old Scarabs is still pretty high if you are going to go with a full out seven-sleeper model with a complete bank of Evinrude outboards as would befit a nation state.

The soviets parked a perfectly good Ekranoplan on the shore of the Caspian Sea. She just needs fresh batteries, new curtains and a coat of paint. Stick some hypersonic missiles on her and a mighty flying flagship roars anew.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1661788167446441999

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1661993533127946241

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
There's a twitter video making the rounds.

It's a Russian woman living in America that decided it was a good idea to tape a Bakhmut is Russian or something similar on her garage door. She promptly gets dunked on by the locals.

Idiots geolocated her address and posted it in the comments section.

Don't link it here

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Also, Igor already made fun of the attempt to claim nothing happened to the spy ship.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
America spent billions developing the Aegis system to protect their ships from missiles and drones.

The Russians just used their hull.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Deki posted:

America spent billions developing the Aegis system to protect their ships from missiles and drones.

The Russians just used their hubris

Ftfy

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1662087655205601280
Word salad from a foolish man who doesn't understand the depths of ruin Russia has been brought to.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1662097139030192128

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

What's the purpose of going to Europe to push this? There's only one person who can bring about a cease-fire, and he'd be arrested if he set foot in Europe.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

The_Franz posted:

What's the purpose of going to Europe to push this? There's only one person who can bring about a cease-fire, and he'd be arrested if he set foot in Europe.

From the article

quote:

Diplomat Li Hui, who has visited Kyiv, Warsaw, Berlin, Paris and Brussels this month, urged European governments to view China as an economic alternative to Washington and said they should move quickly to end the conflict between Russia and Ukraine before it spreads, those officials said. Li was due to travel to Moscow on Friday.

quote:

“They are probably testing the unity of the West and trying to show initiative,” another diplomat said.

quote:

China’s main interests appeared to be to ensure that Russia doesn’t lose the war and that Moscow refrains from using nuclear weapons, another said.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dwesa posted:

From the article

quote:

China’s main interests appeared to be to ensure that Russia doesn’t lose the war and that Moscow refrains from using nuclear weapons, another said.

You know they could probably actually do a fair bit about that second one if they actually put some pressure on Russia. That's really China's value in any potential peace talks, there's really no one who has could exert the same level of diplomatic and economic pressure on Russia as they can now. But they haven't really done anything with it, and all that talk of peace and Western governments supposedly being able to pressure Ukraine to settle counts infinitely more against China on the part of Russia I feel like, given who the aggressor in this thing is.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

zone posted:

Word salad from a foolish man who doesn't understand the depths of ruin Russia has been brought to.

quote:

We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember, my friend: Future events such as these will affect you in the future.
                                   /
                                 /

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1662087655205601280

Has he always seemed this bouncey/hunched over and nervous sounding? I seem to recall him from videos from a few years back where he comes across very.. different. A lot more laid back, imperious, and confident back then compared to this video.

E:

Randarkman posted:

You know they could probably actually do a fair bit about that second one if they actually put some pressure on Russia. That's really China's value in any potential peace talks, there's really no one who has could exert the same level of diplomatic and economic pressure on Russia as they can now. But they haven't really done anything with it, and all that talk of peace and Western governments supposedly being able to pressure Ukraine to settle counts infinitely more against China on the part of Russia I feel like, given who the aggressor in this thing is.

China doesn't want the precedent of an underdog Western-supported nation successfully resisting against their larger BRICS neighbour to stand, but they also don't want the runaway poo poo show and the global radiological pollution from the use of nuclear weapons to happen either. The plans for the pending invasion of Taiwan weigh heavily on Chinese foreign policy.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 26, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dwesa posted:

From the article

Yeah China thinks they are acting like a leader pretending they are the cooler heads in all this and trying to save Russia's image in the background.

But in reality, this reeks of being unable to read the geopolitical room. Also: LOL That China might actually believe Russia's nuclear threats are legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Russia lost the war the moment they started it, a bit late now China.