Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
If X4 had the ED flight model it’d devour all of my free time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I always viewed this one as a somewhat modern FE2/FFE variant. Used to play those games a lot back in the day, and since I don't care about multi-player E:D feels somewhat similar to them. I'm satisfied with that.

That does not make it a good game of course, it just means that I'm a weird gamer. Oh well..:v:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

krispykremessuck posted:

If X4 had the ED flight model it’d devour all of my free time

I just recently got into X4, and coming from playing Elite with a controller it felt... really similar? Like I had to go through and remap all the movement keys to correspond with how I had it in Elite (the defaults felt really loving weird in X4) but it felt close enough to feel familiar once I got it set up. All my maneuvers from Elite worked and I could execute them in basically the same way.

Because yeah, I like basically everything about X4 more than Elite. I'm even a weirdo that loves the spacelegs combat in Elite but I have to admit X4's spacelegs is probably about what they should have done. X4 after the new DLC is in a really good spot and is worth trying if you're burned out on Elite imo. The early game "grind" of getting your cash/ships/stations rolling feels positively quaint and relaxing coming from Elite so you'll have a leg up on that lol. It also has the bonus of being able to automate or buy away nearly all of the tedious bullshit once you're established (if you so choose).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is it playable without a constantly open wiki page?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Beve Stuscemi posted:

No, and the interface is hideous. The entire game looks like it was designed by someone for whom Graphic Design Is Their Passion. -9/10

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yes in the same way that you can easily play E:D without constantly having Inara/EDDB open.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Dante80 posted:

I always viewed this one as a somewhat modern FE2/FFE variant. Used to play those games a lot back in the day, and since I don't care about multi-player E:D feels somewhat similar to them. I'm satisfied with that.

That does not make it a good game of course, it just means that I'm a weird gamer. Oh well..:v:

This is pretty much how I play it. Frontier Elite II scratched an itch I have that no other open world space sim ever quite managed to do except Elite Dangerous.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

So X4 Foundations just went on sale. Does it have the option like Elite to just gently caress off from the story and explore the universe?

Because I really want to gently caress off from the story and explore the universe

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

So X4 Foundations just went on sale. Does it have the option like Elite to just gently caress off from the story and explore the universe?

Because I really want to gently caress off from the story and explore the universe
It has even less hand-holding than E:D does - you pick your start and then they give a vague gesture for you to do.
Just set the mission to inactive, and you're free to do entirely your own poo poo.

It's one of the critiques that many new players have, because you're basically given poo poo-all to do in the first starts.
Some of the ones in the expansion put you part of the way through the plot, but you can essentially start out a a privateer in the smallest ship, just doing your thing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Technically yes but it's more a fleet/empire builder sim with a very thin veneer of flight sim to lure you in, and then hours later instead of "flying your ship around" you're sitting in the back of your space uber, parked in an empty sector and staring at a galactic map because if you're actually near the fleet battle your fleet is currently in your framerate slows to a crawl and the physics start getting wonky

there's no planets to land on or "discoveries" to make per se, the galaxy is mostly large swathes of space with procgen stations and teleporting hoola hoops that lead to other large swathes of space with a different background color

i've put far too many hours into it and it's fun, but i 100% lucked into it still being my cup of tea despite not being at all the flight sim game E:D replacement I was originally hoping for

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Hey all, quick question:

I'm back into an Elite Dangerous hyperfocus after a few months off to play exclusively Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 (I think I may be neurodivergent) and I have a question about new controllers and bindings.

We all know how finicky E:D is when it comes to bindings. I currently use this kind of setup:

- Logitech X-55 Rhino HOTAS
- Xbox Series X (i think) controller
- Mouse + keyboard
- Separate switch box for most ship functions

I just bought an X-56 HOTAS to have as a backup for when my 10 year old X-55 inevitably breaks. When I swap out the HOTAS units, will I have to set my binds up all over again or will the game recognize the new HOTAS and map it to the same buttons? AFAIK there's nothing different about the X-55 and X-56 in terms of buttons and switches

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
You might have to fiddle with your keybinds file manually, because the name and connector of the input device is like a hardcoded identifier. Even a plain Xbox gamepad will have a different ID if it's in a different USB port, though I think they improved that last aspect a little bit recently. Or if you disconnect one of your devices, it'll stop recognising the other ones and you have to go in the config file to remove/rename it.

Worst case scenario, because it just uses input numbers, like button 32, button 15, etc., if the order is different (despite the physical layout being mostly the same), you might have to CTRL+F and replace them by hand.

But yeah, you should always have a backup of your keybinds file just in case, for exactly that sort of poo poo.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Thank you!

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i've put far too many hours into it and it's fun, but i 100% lucked into it still being my cup of tea despite not being at all the flight sim game E:D replacement I was originally hoping for

I honestly don't get why people think it's so bad flying ships in X4 vs E:D. Maybe it's because I fly with an Xbox controller (still using keyboard/mouse for menus, etc) but again I was able to set up the controls so it felt pretty drat close to E:D.

Hell, I'll just say it - I find the space combat more interesting and engaging in X4 than in E:D! You can fly in and cripple the biggest, baddest destroyers with a small ship. X4 has a mechanic where you can "ride along" on a large ship's hull and blow up individual components and there are weapons specifically designed to blow up those components. I killed my first Xenon destroyer by doing this - I blew out its engines to immobilize it, systematically destroyed every turret so it was defenseless, then slowly killed it with like 1 medium and 6 small ships. I find that far more interesting than bigger ship=win while you spin in circles with multi-cannons in the same forgettable battleground over and over.

If you like hitting things with railguns and FA/aim assist off you can do that too! The new Boron railgun is insanely good so you can zoom around and play space sniper if you want.

Do you like the idea of large battles with big ships and station sieges? That's something you can't even do in E:D. Taking a fleet of capital ships and bombarding a shipyard while literally hundreds of small ships and drones swarm and get chewed up by space flak is loving great and nothing in E:D can even compare.

The explosions aren't as good and missiles suck, but as far as what you can actually do in space combat I think it blows E:D out of the water. Maybe I'm just weird though.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Hakarne posted:

Do you like the idea of large battles with big ships and station sieges? That's something you can't even do in E:D. Taking a fleet of capital ships and bombarding a shipyard while literally hundreds of small ships and drones swarm and get chewed up by space flak is loving great and nothing in E:D can even compare.

The explosions aren't as good and missiles suck, but as far as what you can actually do in space combat I think it blows E:D out of the water. Maybe I'm just weird though.

This does sound appealing to me. I still love ED to bits, but as someone who loves big ships I hate that ED combat is all dogfighting, all the time, always, with no exceptions, ever, regardless of ship or weapon types. I really want something that captures the feel of flying a giant turret boat.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

ED's core flight model is just leagues better than x4, especially for 1v1 combat. It kinda degraded over the years for several reasons, but it's still a big advantage. But ED didn't use what they had content wise - No 'cruisers' ala Freespace and capital ship battles remain half assed at best. Meanwhile X4 can regularly have huge fleet battles and is a lot better at attaching meaning to your victories and losses.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone please make a game that combines the best parts of E:D, NMS and X4.

Should be pretty easy IMO

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Flying in X4 is fine, but — at least for me — the complaint about the flight model probably also include parts of the sound model and UI / cockpit feel.

The whole experience just feels better in that *my immersion* kind of way.

That said, I think X4 has a perfectly serviceable flight model and most people bounce off of it for a bunch of reasons that go beyond that, but that’s the easiest one to point to.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Monkeys paw: well have you tried Eve online ????

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

krispykremessuck posted:

Flying in X4 is fine, but — at least for me — the complaint about the flight model probably also include parts of the sound model and UI / cockpit feel.

The whole experience just feels better in that *my immersion* kind of way.

That said, I think X4 has a perfectly serviceable flight model and most people bounce off of it for a bunch of reasons that go beyond that, but that’s the easiest one to point to.

You aren't wrong. There were updates to the sounds relatively recently - some of the big guns, the hit sounds of the Xenon lasers - and its actually impressive how big a difference it makes in the feel.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Monkey paw curls.

This game is being made. It is directed by Derek Smart.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

NMS has nothing to contribute in terms of flight model.

It's so arcadey and unfun. :mad:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Right but NMSs on-planet stuff is way better than elites. No one should be copying the NMS flight model

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

NMS has nothing to contribute in terms of flight model.

It's so arcadey and unfun. :mad:

I believe they meant copy the good parts from NMS in general, not specifically flight models.

Now, what those good parts are, I don't know. Post-launch support?

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I believe they meant copy the good parts from NMS in general, not specifically flight models.

Marketing too.

Their OG trailer created a lot of hype.

They launched and kinda fizzled.

But then they managed to not only recover but thrive and get enough time to actually improve the game.

Really impressive even if their game is still super shallow imo

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Its shallow but every time they do a big update I can usually get another 40 hours out of it

NMS' planetside stuff is a million times better than the tacked on nonsense I went through in elite (which was landing and gathering resources, I didn't buy the run around expansion because I was told it sucked)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If there were good parts in NMS I certainly never found them. Only game I've ever refunded on Steam. Viscerally hated every single thing about it, but especially the UI and controls.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"not taking themselves deadly seriously" for one. it's easy to get into the "seen one, seen them all" mindset while playing the game but I'd rather have a galaxy full of NMS-style planets than elite dangerous' "I hope you like realistic flat surfaces forever. watch out, some of them are hot!"

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

"not taking themselves deadly seriously" for one. it's easy to get into the "seen one, seen them all" mindset while playing the game but I'd rather have a galaxy full of NMS-style planets than elite dangerous' "I hope you like realistic flat surfaces forever. watch out, some of them are hot!"

I don't enjoy playing NMS, just because the gameplay and UI are a janky nightmare. But I agree with you on this. When you have a super realistic game universe you set very high bars for adding vegetation and wildlife to your planets.

E:D has the most enjoyable flight model of any space game I've played, but it is super bland and monotone visually. It was cool at first but after 9 years it would be nice to see some variation.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

With every update, NMS slowly gets closer to being the game it should've been at launch, though it's kind of a Zeno's paradox.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

not MY skies

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I know I shouldn't do this, I know it's going to be a crushing disappointment, but I feel like Starfield will have the fun gameplay loop that I wish NMS had.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am tentatively excited for starfield.

Hopefully it runs ok on the deck

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In June we will get the gameplay deep dive for Starfield. That should answer most if not all of our questions. I've been playing Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall for the first time, and it feels like some of the core idea's from that game will be incorporated into Starfield. Massive open world with mostly procedural generated content.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I have little hope that flying in Starfield will be anything but a mini game. But, flying in E:D is basically a mini game as well.

If you want all the best parts of E:D, X4, and NMS you know the answer. Donate to Chris Roberts now or buy a $1200 usury yacht and you’ll love every minute of it. Don’t think about the money. Honestly it’s how games that groundbreaking should be priced.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Blind Rasputin posted:

I have little hope that flying in Starfield will be anything but a mini game. But, flying in E:D is basically a mini game as well.

If you want all the best parts of E:D, X4, and NMS you know the answer. Donate to Chris Roberts now or buy a $1200 usury yacht and you’ll love every minute of it. Don’t think about the money. Honestly it’s how games that groundbreaking should be priced.

Someone airdropped a quote into the TotK thread that "TotK is just a mobile game and since it's using BotW's engine, all the development time for both games should be added together and so see, even a highly-rated mobile game can take more than a decade of development time and Star Citizen is right on schedule" and I just about spit out my drink

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I know I shouldn't do this, I know it's going to be a crushing disappointment, but I feel like Starfield will have the fun gameplay loop that I wish NMS had.
No HOTAS/HOSAS support, so far as I've been able to figure out.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Someone airdropped a quote into the TotK thread that "TotK is just a mobile game and since it's using BotW's engine, all the development time for both games should be added together and so see, even a highly-rated mobile game can take more than a decade of development time and Star Citizen is right on schedule" and I just about spit out my drink

Solid reasoning tbqh. Consolidating my btc retirement investments worked the same way.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I said come in! posted:

Just a reminder that their last major release was Fallout 76.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
if you had told me when Skyrim came out I woudln't get another single player elder scrolls or elder scrolls-like game for well over a decade I'd have wondered how bad Skyrim had to be to put them out of business

So yeah I'm sure Starfield won't live up to that but I'll play it anyway